Menu

How crazy would this be for Christmas?

Alicia64

Keeping in mind that my boys are eleven. And Lego fanatics.

We're thinking about not doing much Christmas this year and instead going on a cruise. My boys' first reaction? Freak out. They don't want to do it.

They were on a cruise once when they were four and don't really remember any of it.

Part of me feels guilty. They love the traditional tree, snow, hot chocolate, but part of me thinks they'd totally dig it. We're doing a three day cruise in a couple of weeks and I think I'll ask them then: do you want to do this for Christmas.

It would mean forgoing all the normal expense of Christmas and only doing the cruise.

Any thoughts?

Alley

We flew to Germany one Christmas...literally left on Christmas Eve and arrived on Christmas morning.  My youngest two were 10 and 11.  We did give them each one gift to open Christmas Eve before we got on the plane, something we would have given them for the trip anyway -- like a book to read on the plane or something along those lines.  We still got in a lot of Christmas traditions before we left, but honestly, that is a Christmas we will never forget and we loved every minute of it.  I also like the idea of shaking things up a little -- changing traditions now and then so they learn to be flexible. 

Maybe you can still have your own teeny Christmas celebration on the ship.  You can shop at the dollar store before you go and each person gets each other a dollar gift to open Christmas morning. 

But, the ship needs to be about the whole family of course.  Given that it is happening during a very family-oriented holiday, I think you need to make sure and plan lots of fun things to do as a family while onboard.

My kids would feel short-changed.  They would expect a cruise PLUS Christmas.  LOL.

If the cruise is cruising on Christmas itself, there will probably be fun holiday stuff planned.  You could look into what would be fun for your kids' age group and see what they think of it.  If it's all dud stuff for their age, I'd drop the idea.

Now if the cruise was to someplace cool like Hawaii, maybe that would tip the balance.

I wouldn't want to push that too hard for kids that age. Honestly, 11 is often when they are nearing the end of caring about having a kid-type holiday, and I wouldn't want to take that away from them (or miss it, myself).

I especially wouldn't do it to select a very adult oriented vacation.  Giving up Christmas all together for something they aren't excited about doesn't seem too great unless they come full circle on it when you go in a few weeks. I know some people would say their kids love cruises.  But it sounds like your boys already are against it.  So if you do go, they may have it in their heads they won't have a good time and that will become a self fulfilling prophecy.  If they thought it was a great, fun idea, that might be different.  And who knows, they may love it on your 3 day cruise.  But then chosing to forgo Christmas might still not be great.

Just curious - why 2 cruises so close to each other?  I can't imagine taking 2 cruises within 6 months of each other?  Are there any other more kid friendly, fun vacation options you'd consider?

I'd start scrounging now for some fun, but smaller and less expensive options to make Christmas at home fun and take the cruise after the holidays and don't even tie it into the holiday.  Having a simple tree, snow, hot chocolate, and a few presents does not have to be a huge expense.

ETA - we traveled last year leaving on Christmas Day.  We downscaled in terms of decorating and gifts a little, but we did a  holiday at home on Christmas Eve, visited with DH's family Christmas morning, and then left on vacation.  It worked well, and we made sure my kids had a couple gifts they could bring on vacation.

Well, I think it's worth consideration.  Before we bought the house we're in and settled into the church we're a part of, we realized that our Christmas tradition was to do Christmas different every year, LOL (not necessarily by plan/choice, just because that was where we were at in life).  The kids have *fond* memories of the year we flew to sunny Arizona to spend Christmas with my parents and their aunts/uncles, and of the year we spent Christmas eve at Embassy Suites watching The Sound of Music, driving out to my sister's the next day.  At the hotel, after they were in bed, I hooked up some Christmas lights and put out either a vase full of red flowers (to be the Christmas tree) or a small fake one -- can't remember.  Now our Christmases are more traditional, but in my experience, kids are pretty adaptable and do like adventure and trying new things.  I almost wouldn't have presented it to them as an option/their choice -- just would have said, "Guess what we're doing for Christmas this year?!  A cruise!!"

We are going to NYC instead of doing a big Christmas. We are minimalists and we are really trying to teach our kids "less is more."

My twins are 4, and they are all about it. We are going a couple weeks before Christmas, so there will probably be at least something small under the tree.

I could see doing a fun-for-11-year-old-boys trip (even though at that age, my kids would have preferred to receive gifts and stay home to enjoy the gifts.)

But a fun-for-grownups-cruise of all trips? Heck no! At 11, my kids would have been bored out of their minds and considered it the worst Christmas ever. I would agree with them.

Thanks everyone! I think I better stop this thread before my new nickname is Grinch!!

In answer to your questions: it's a long story why we were thinking of a cruise in Dec. Boring story.

But, I hear all of you: taking a cruise would make my kids feel like they'd missed Christmas all together.

Got it!

Thank you!

Alley

I'd go on the cruise.  Maybe I'd let them plan or give ideas for Christmas 2015, which they could spend every bored minute planning while on this year's cruise. ;) You may end up at LEGOLAND that next year, but one for you and one for them ... not so bad, right?!

We're doing a three day cruise in a couple of weeks and I think I'll ask them then: do you want to do this for Christmas.

Two cruises within five months might be too frequent. If I want to go for a cruise during Christmas time, my kids would want a Disney cruise, or to Alaska/Hawaii/Venice or a cruise with lots of ports of call.

wouldn't it be really cold on a cruise ship in December? Or do they travel somewhere warm? What is there to do on the cruise ship for kids? I would think swimming wouldn't be ideal that time of year. I just don't see the appeal, personally. But I have never been on a cruise.

Yes, cruises go to warm places in December. There are many places in the world that are warm all year long.   Cruise ships have kids clubs, teen hangouts, movies, concerts and a host of other things for kids to do. The pools on the ship will be warm. There will be games to play. They can spend time together as a family. Tons of stuff. 

My kids would love to go on a Disney cruise and have been asking to go on another. (We did one when the oldest two were four and two.) In theory, they would be ok with a tiny tree in the cabin and just stockings, especially because I'm sure Disney really goes all out with decor, music, etc.

Maybe wait and see how they like your upcoming one and go from there? I don't think it's a necessarily horrible idea though. :)

wouldn't it be really cold on a cruise ship in December? Or do they travel somewhere warm? What is there to do on the cruise ship for kids? I would think swimming wouldn't be ideal that time of year. I just don't see the appeal, personally. But I have never been on a cruise.

We spend every Christmas on the beach in south Florida. It is warm enough to go in the ocean and the pool. The pool is heated. I am sure cruise ships have temperature controlled pools, too. 

Keeping in mind that my boys are eleven. And Lego fanatics.

We're thinking about not doing much Christmas this year and instead going on a cruise. My boys' first reaction? Freak out. They don't want to do it.

They were on a cruise once when they were four and don't really remember any of it.

Part of me feels guilty. They love the traditional tree, snow, hot chocolate, but part of me thinks they'd totally dig it. We're doing a three day cruise in a couple of weeks and I think I'll ask them then: do you want to do this for Christmas.

It would mean forgoing all the normal expense of Christmas and only doing the cruise.

Any thoughts?

Alley

Well, unless you are going to be on a cruise through the entire Christmas season, there's no reason you can't do all of the traditional Christmas stuff, minus presents, and go on the cruise. 

Last Christmas, we decided not to spend money on presents (because honestly, we have enough schtuff for 10 Christmases already) and just enjoy our time together.  We had everything a "typical" Christmas entails, minus presents.  I even bought a little bit of extra Christmas food (cinnamon muffins, hot chocolate, etc., which we never normally have at home).  It was lovely.  Nobody missed the presents and we just got to relax.

Well...I'm not even going to read other responses before I respond.

I do everything in my power to protect "Christmas at home" for my boys. Our traditions are simple, but they have been the same every year, and even as they age to teenhood they treasure them. For example, Christmas night (not eve, but the actual Christmas night) they settle in to sleep on the floor by the Christmas tree and listen to Patrick Stewart's "Christmas Carol." This past Christmas DH suggested to DS13 that they watch some action flick instead. DS was horrified. "No, that's NOT what we do Christmas night!"

I would consider their opinions. Think of it this way - at some time in the future they will fly the nest. You might want your traditions to be an irresistible draw to come home on the holidays.

Can you go on the cruise the day after?

My kids love cruises.  They beg for cruises.  The best thing about cruises (for school-aged kids) is the shore excursions.  So it depends on the places where the ship is going to go.  Maybe lay out a few options and give them some time to choose between cruise A, cruise B, or Christmas at home.

I've taken my kids on two cruises so far, and it really is a great way to travel with kids - very low stress.  They have plenty to keep young school-aged kids happy.  I haven't looked into what they have for middle-school kids.

Gently.

I wouldn't be thrilled if my husband came to me with that suggestion. Like your boys, I love the traditional aspect of it.

I also think it's perhaps asking too much that the children be thrilled to forgo their normal Christmas festivities, which they love, in favor of something they do not want to do. I'm not saying "don't do it" - you're mom, after all; I'm just saying that perhaps you shouldn't expect that they would love it instead of their "normal" (I wouldn't enjoy it, personally).

I would not go over Christmas week.  Christmas week  is a week when everyone is home with no schedules, commitments appointments.  Traveling Christmas is something we decided years ago not to do and have never regretted.  I love our traditions and am not willing to give them up and I don't think my kids would want to either, even for a cruise.

I would love to go on a cruise but never instead of celebrating Christmas at home. Our Christmas celebrations are small though so doing both wouldn't be out of the question. That being said if you want to go then go. But don't be surprised if they are grump the entire time and don't hold that against them either. Its asking a lot to take away Christmas from a child.

My son was 11 last year and most o f my extended family was going to Florida for Christmas. He flat out refused :ohmy: we had traveled one other year for Christmas and he had a great time with all of his cousins, but it was the only year we weren't home for Christmas day and he did not want that to happen again. He loves Christmas and was still very into Legos - he wanted his Legos and he wanted to be home to build them on Christmas Day. That is what he had done evey year but one and that was important to him.

Now a year makes a big difference - this year I think he could go for something different if it were the right thing. Childhood is short, Christmas memories are special. I wouldn't push them.

My husband and I have been considering this very thing.  We have not broached it with the kids yet, they would each get something nice but I'd rather spend our money on memories than stuff this time and we are never around extended family during any holiday because due to the military we are always too far to make it possible.  Since it will be just us 5 might as well spend it doing something exciting.  If any of them are dead set against it we will hold off though. 

I wouldn't want to push that too hard for kids that age. Honestly, 11 is often when they are nearing the end of caring about having a kid-type holiday, and I wouldn't want to take that away from them (or miss it, myself).

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

Jenny summed up my feelings exactly.

My ds is 14 and still doesn't want to be away from home on Christmas or his birthday.

I'm not sure why it would be necessary to schedule the cruise to be on Christmas. Couldn't you go earlier so you get home before Christmas Eve, or leave a few days after Christmas?

Personally, I wouldn't want to go on two cruises in such a short time frame. I would be fine with a second vacation, but I would want it to be something different.

PS. I don't think you're a grinch!!! :)

Personally going over Christmas would make sense because it is an easy time to get away from work.  Nobody else is working much around that time.

So far I haven't done this with the kids, because we do like the family tradition of visiting the grandparents on Christmas day.  Also sometimes we have houseguests for Christmas.  But we have gone on cruises in the days right after Christmas.

We do celebrate one daughter's birthday while traveling.  Her birthday is January 6.  We've been out of town each of the past 3 years.  She has come to expect that we'll go somewhere cool for her birthday.  :p

Nay Sayer Here.  I would totally go on a Christmas Cruise.  And my kids would have been THRILLED to go when they were your kids age.

But we live in the Land of Eternal Dark and Cold and by December we are all ready for a warm swimming pool!

When our kids were young, we often traveled over Christmas break.  Christmas in Destin Florida is still one of my kids favorite memories!

I have considered going away for Christmas as a great excuse to get away from extended family. A lot of our relatives are horrible and seeing them at all during the holiday season is punishment, not festive and fun. ;)

Actually, if you can't just stay home and decline the invitations from the horrible relatives, going away sounds like an excellent idea.

I've actually been considering exactly this. Two of my kids are teens, though. Part of why I was considering it is that they don't get "toys" anymore (except the youngest).

I would still want Christmas-tradition fun on the ship. Like a Santa wearing Bermuda shorts or something. Honestly, being able to avoid doing the same things with the extended family is part of the appeal.

Actually, if you can't just stay home and decline the invitations from the horrible relatives, going away sounds like an excellent idea.

:) I can decline the actuals days of the holidays, and do... But I usually suck if up and see them briefly once some time in the month of December... *sigh*