Menu

Deep thoughts for your Sunday: chunk or chuck?

Belacqua

I've always thought that the word meaning toss quickly and without regret was "chuck." 

Chuck those broken toys into the bin.

Chuck that in the trash. Nobody's going to eat it.

But lately I'm seeing "chunk." The tidiness threads often talk of chunking stained clothes or junky plastic toys. Even the Halloween tradition (introduced to me by the kid's Latin teacher) of Punkin Chunkin' makes me question my assumption.

So which is it? Or both? Is this regional? Or is "chuck" not a thing and I've been misspeaking my entire life?

I go with chuck...meaning toss. Never heard chunk as toss.

Of course, due to your title, I now have "Deep thoughts....with Jack Handy" running through my head....

You're good enough, you're smart enough, and doggone it, people like you!

I've always thought that the word meaning toss quickly and without regret was "chuck." 

Chuck those broken toys into the bin.

Chuck that in the trash. Nobody's going to eat it.

But lately I'm seeing "chunk." The tidiness threads often talk of chunking stained clothes or junky plastic toys. Even the Halloween tradition (introduced to me by the kid's Latin teacher) of Punkin Chunkin' makes me question my assumption.

So which is it? Or both? Is this regional? Or is "chuck" not a thing and I've been misspeaking my entire life?

It is "chuck." I'm thinking that people who say "chunk" just misheard others say it.

It's not wrong according to the dictionary definition I posted. I was kind of hoping I had an excuse to post Weird Al's Word Crime video again. Ah well.

Dang! I'd totally vote for chunk being used in this way as a word crime. Actually, before I read your post, I was going to call it exactly that.

The proper term is chuck, IMO.

Definitely heard chuck, not chunk. Just to confuse the issue, kayakers will say, "Huck it!" meaning throw your body to get a roll. Just thought I'd throw that in there to further muddy the waters. This term will be used in the phrase, "Huck ze gnar" meaning to fling yourself off a waterfall.

I've actually heard and have even used the term huck to mean throw before. I'm not a kayaker. :)

Huck and chuck are fine. Chunk, is not. I adamantly oppose the use of the word chunk. It's the equivalent of using of in place of 've, IMO.

How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

Chuck = To throw

Chunk = A piece

I don't care what that dictionary says about regional use. Saying chunk when talking about throwing sounds ignorant. (Feel free to throw stones, I can take it)

I've actually heard and have even used the term huck to mean throw before. I'm not a kayaker. :)

Huck and chuck are fine. Chunk, is not. I adamantly oppose the use of the word chunk. It's the equivalent of using of in place of 've, IMO.

And what about hork? Or hoik?

Chuck = To throw

Chunk = A piece

I don't care what that dictionary says about regional use. Saying chunk when talking about throwing sounds ignorant. (Feel free to throw stones, I can take it)

But ... if they're CHUNKING stones at you ... ;)

The Merriam-Webster dictionary would not agree that chunk can be used in that sense. Chuck is correct.

chuck  verb
Definition of CHUCK
transitive verb
:  pattap
a :  tossthrow

b :  discard <chucked his old shirt> <chuck it out with the trash>

c :  dismissoust â€”used especially with out <was chucked out of office>
:  give up <chucked his job>

I'm guessing that chunk is a colloquialism or perhaps an eggcorn.

Chuck = To throw

Chunk = A piece

It kind of reminds me of when people say they'll "never step foot" somewhere instead of "never set foot." I know that language usage evolves, but no matter how many times I hear people say "step foot," it sounds wrong.

I've always heard it as "blowing chunks"...another Deep Thought and maybe a topic starter for a spinoff thread.

I have also heard this.

And it is chuck.

GA folks have a lot of odd things they say. We love them, but we don't have to follow suit.

:P

(Says the woman who spent a lot of her 20's living and working within spitting distance of GA......all in love and fun....not britches need bunch!)

I use huck for throw.  "Just huck it out!" or "Where do you want me to huck this stuff?"  I do not kayak. ;)

I've heard chuck too.  But not chunk.  I agree with others - that sounds kind of gross.  Maybe because I've heard "hurl chunks" used to mean "puke" aka "throw up" aka "upchuck", but not "upchunk"  - although that I guess could make some sense but ew ew ew!

Dictionary.com does not have "throw" or "toss" as a meaning for "huck".  Clearly they are wrong there too.