Menu

What's for dinner?

Night Elf

Pasta with brown butter sage sauce with some zucchini tossed in and sauteed swiss chard on the side...not sure if this goes together but I need to use up some of the veg from our CSA box!

Eta: it was good! We ate the swiss chard like an appetizer before the pasta. I was putting the pasta on the table when I realized I forgot to saute some zucchini. We put the pasta on hold and quickly did the zucchini...it all worked out!

I wish I had a personal chef. All these dinners sound good but I hate to cook and usually stick to simple things. Tonight I'm making my version of pasties using a roast beef filling. Not bad, but it's high enough calories that we each have one only and I can easily eat two. And I forgot to buy spinach for salads so I guess I'll open a canned veggie.

I planned to make chicken stir fry over rice. I even went ahead and baked the rice but then I remembered I had this box of fresh cucumbers the other day and we were really wanted cucumbers and cream, so I sliced up the cucumbers to soak in salt water.  Then remembered that one of the kids doesn't like those, so I cut up the 4 pounds of fresh broccoli that needed to get used up.  Thinking those would be the veggie sides for supper.  Only after I had that all done did I remember that I was planning on stir fry (that uses a bag of frozen veggies) and I'm thinking my family will have veggies overload if I try to serve all that for supper.  So now I'm trying to figure out what to make with the chicken I have cooked up and goes with the veggie sides I have prepared.

I think the chicken and broccoli need to get soaked in some kind of cream sauce and served over pasta, with the cucumbers on the side.  Maybe you could put it over the rice, but I sorta feel that might be a little odd.  I'd probably throw the rice back in the fridge for something else.

I planned to make chicken stir fry over rice. I even went ahead and baked the rice but then I remembered I had this box of fresh cucumbers the other day and we were really wanted cucumbers and cream, so I sliced up the cucumbers to soak in salt water.  Then remembered that one of the kids doesn't like those, so I cut up the 4 pounds of fresh broccoli that needed to get used up.  Thinking those would be the veggie sides for supper.  Only after I had that all done did I remember that I was planning on stir fry (that uses a bag of frozen veggies) and I'm thinking my family will have veggies overload if I try to serve all that for supper.  So now I'm trying to figure out what to make with the chicken I have cooked up and goes with the veggie sides I have prepared.

I think the chicken and broccoli need to get soaked in some kind of cream sauce and served over pasta, with the cucumbers on the side.  Maybe you could put it over the rice, but I sorta feel that might be a little odd.  I'd probably throw the rice back in the fridge for something else.

Oh, I like that idea except I don't have enough cream for both the cucumbers and an alfredo sauce (and my kids are underweight and always hungry so we need full fat sauce, otherwise I'd make it with milk) So I put the broccoli back since I have plenty of chicken (I cooked up 10-15 pounds because I was going to stick some in the freezer) and will make your suggestion tomorrow or Sunday depending on when I get to the store to get more cream. 

So my menu for tonight is back to the chicken stir fry and we also have cucumbers and cream for those who want them (those who like them won't mind in the least that it doesn't "go" with stir fry).

Homemade pizza. Yummy!

That crossed my mind, but I have nothing for toppings and I don't have a car. My car would choose the hottest week of the year to decided to flake on Air conditioning. Needless to say, it's at the shop. So, I guess we'll be having tacos. Which is what we usually have on Fridays. And I'm tired of it. But, we have good fruit. Love this time of year.

My MIL posted this on FB today, and we had it for dinner tonight.  It was really good and super easy.

Ingredients:

1 bag of frozen tortellini
1 small bag of fresh spinach
2 cans of Italian style diced tomatoes
1 box or 4 cups or vegetable broth
1 block of cream cheese

Directions:

Put all ingredients in crock-pot, chunking up the cream cheese.
Cook on low for 5-6 hrs

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10201266051252739&set=a.1944881521144.78105.1815695914&type=1&theater

DH and I are having porkchops with peaches and basil: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/08/pork-chops-peaches-basil-recipe.html

DS 15 months was offered steamed carrots and sugar snaps with hummus + fruit; he ate 1 nectarine, 2 plums, lots of blueberries, 1 container of applesauce, and 1 graham cracker with almond butter. Good thing tomorrow is Saturday and DH is on diaper duty :-)

Last night?

We had grilled T-bone/Porterhouse steaks, corn, garden peas (our garden), marinated mushrooms, and fresh blueberries.

It was the last night we had both boys home for a couple of weeks, and they will only be home together for 3 days at the end of the month before we take youngest to college, so we splurged on a "favorite" meal.

Today we'll be doing BBQ pork ribs as that is a meal middle son loves that youngest isn't as fond of (and it's youngest who left early this morning).  I'm not totally sure what sides we'll have, but it will likely include broccoli, yellow squash, and/or kale as those are all some we have in our garden that the three of us love.

So it's a week out from your original post. Have you found any ideas? I have. I always love meal idea threads.

Last night I made this chicken stir fry (and yes, commented on it). We all really liked it. I'll have some of the leftovers for lunch.

DH and I are having porkchops with peaches and basil: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/08/pork-chops-peaches-basil-recipe.html

For years I've seen pork chops with peaches recipes but have never tried any of them. Maybe this will be the summer I actually do.  :)