Menu

How much outdoor time does a kid NEED?

AimeeM

My 5 year old son thoroughly dislikes being outdoors - he dislikes bugs, grass, dirt, heat, etc. He just doesn't care for it. I'm empathetic, as to this day I dislike the outdoors. I'll caveat that by saying that my children do not know this - I take my youngest outdoors daily to play, because he LOVES being outside.

As a child my mother forced me to play outdoors and it did nothing to help my dislike for the great outdoors - if anything, it made me dislike it more.

DS5 isn't lazing around inside in front of gaming devices, so there's that. He loves to play chase, etc INDOORS (which is fine with us - we don't mind the noise), he builds with his blocks, looks at his books, plays with his action figures, etc. We are enrolling him in dance this fall for *some* physical activity... but is he missing something necessary by not being outdoors? He is completely miserable outside and asks to come inside to "his home" every 30 seconds (no exaggeration).

I don't like outside all that much.  My youngest is a lot like me, too. I aim for at least 20-30 minutes everyday just to get some sun and fresh air.  We are in TX and the heat and humidity are awful so if we miss a day I'm not going to worry about it ;)

My son needs to be outside everyday, 30 minutes minimum for my sanity but a couple hours is better. Although I can handle some amount of rowdiness in the house, I don't have enough tolerance for it.

My son does usually have his sister to play with though and he can ride his bike around the block and in the circle by our house. On days when he doesn't really want to go out, I'll set a timer so he knows when it's ok to come in, it helps eliminate that constant asking to come in.

My daughter isn't wired that way and doesn't seem to need to climb, jump, run as much as my son does, so I don't worry about it as much with her.

It's almost always more fun with friends and/or purpose. Would he like horseback riding or swimming? I know a child who says he hates being outside -- until there are friends, water, bikes, park days etc. dc might not be the most outdoorsy type, but take same child to a pool or a nature walk/hunt (doesn't like bugs, however ) and everything changes. What about geocaching ? Water balloons or 'guns'. Fishing?

His body needs sunshine to generate vitamin d.

His eyes need the opportunity to focus at a longer distance.

His large muscles need to be worked.

I didnt care to play outdoors when it was just me and the ants and the lawn. A bike, sports equipment, water, and friends made it much more fun.

We have tons of outdoor play things - bikes, balls, chalk, baseball mount (complete with helmets, gloves, etc)... he doesn't care for sports, so maybe that's part of it, lol. He doesn't like the chalk because he gets his hands dirty.

Does he have the same reaction if a friend is over and they are playing i.e. on a water slide, with balls or other play equipment?

A good example would be his fifth birthday party. The other children were playing outside, in the backyard while we grilled (we had about 20 people, about 10 children) - he came inside after 10 minutes, and was content to play in his bedroom, lol.

It's almost always more fun with friends and/or purpose. Would he like horseback riding or swimming? I know a child who says he hates being outside -- until there are friends, water, bikes, ha park days etc. EC might not be the most outdoorsy type, but take same child to a pool or a nature walk/hunt (doesn't like bugs, however ) and everything changes. What about geocaching ? Water balloons or 'guns'. Fishing?

He doesn't care for the park, even with friends ("I want to go to my home - I love my home - can we go home now?").

He is terrified of pools and won't step foot near them. He does enjoy a bit of time in the sprinkler (front yard), but that's short lived.

He's a pretty timid fella - he doesn't like large animals like horses.

What is geocaching? Off to google!

He loves playing with others, but if they do not want to play inside, he is perfectly happy to play inside alone. Not in a bad "want to be isolated" way (he loves company); more in a "meh - *shrug* - that's okay, I'll do my thing, you do yours" kind of way :P

Several hours as per our ped recommendation (among which should be one hour of moderate to high activity).

For the development of gross motor skills and muscles, physical activity outside is necessary. It is also related to cognitive development and executive function.

I would make an effort to find an activity to do together.

Btw, learning to swim would be a top priority for me at this age, because it is a safety issue.

ETA: I would make this a required , non-negotiable part of the school day. This is at least as important as reading aloud or other academic activities.

Can you take him on interesting nature hikes? Caves? Climbing? Springs and creeks?

I do think the sunshine is important (vitamin D), and also, feeling comfortable outside opens up so many options in one's world. 

Is it absolutely essential?  Probably not.  He can take a vitamin D pill and and have his inside-interests.  However, I think I'd work hard to find something fun that he enjoys doing outside... not aimless wandering or playing, but a very specific activity that is so fun that it distracts him from the outside things he doesn't like.  There is so much to see and do outdoors that's pretty amazing, including traveling, and I'd hate for my kids to miss out on that.

Also, good for you for taking your youngest outside daily despite your own lack of interest in the outdoors.  I admire that!

What's at the root of the dislike though?  Is it heat? Cold? Bugs? Discomfort? Shyness of people? Mild agoraphobia? Fear of critters or dogs? Dislike of physical activity? Some other sensory issue?  How is his gross motor development and his core strength anyway?  Can he play on the play equipment and climb and so forth?

I guess I don't fully understand not being able to enjoy being outside when the weather is pleasant and the bugs aren't there unless there's something else at play.  I know many kids would rather be inside on video games or the like and I get that, but you say that's not the issue.

In reading the OP's posts, I'm beginning to wonder if the little guy has some sensory issues that need to be addressed.  Keep in mind that many of us have sensory issues to some extent.  Whether or not they need addressing depends on how much they affect a person's life.  My oldest DS always hated getting his hands dirty.  But that was pretty much the extent of his sensory issues.  Not a huge deal, and not something that needed therapy.  Youngest DS didn't like getting his hands dirty, he didn't like bright sunlight, he said slightly louder than normal sounds hurt his ears, he wouldn't eat certain foods due to texture.  His sensory issues required some therapy.  It sounds as if your guy's issues are impacting his life a good deal.  And I say that as someone who's not overly fond of being outside (so I'm not saying it because I think being outside is particularly necessary or beneficial).

Several hours as per our ped recommendation (among which should be one hour of moderate to high activity).

For the development of gross motor skills and muscles, physical activity outside is necessary. Those are also related to cognitive development.

I would make an effort to find an activity to do together.

Btw, learning to swim would be a top priority for me at this age, because it is a safety issue.

ETA: I would make this a required , non-negotiable part of the school day. This is at least as important as reading aloud or other academic activities.

Can you take him on interesting nature hikes? Caves? Climbing? Springs and creeks?

His ability to have high activity is limited by his medical needs. He does tire very easily (also related to his medical needs), so the activities would need to be low to moderate energy suckers.

I'll admit that I have no desire to take this particular child into a cave - he would spend the entire time shrieking in fear and in my arms (and it would have to be a group tour, as we aren't in an area where caves are readily available - they require a bit of a trip and a booked tour). I would be concerned, if it weren't for the fact that I was the exact same way as a child (and take comfort in knowing that I did, indeed, outgrow the timidness with nature, lol).

I do make him go outside - at least for some of our walks. He will be enrolled this fall in a dance class to get some physical activity.

He is roughly the size of a 2.5 year old, so I imagine riding his trike next to the neighbor children his age who are on full sized bikes with training wheels isn't an enthusiastic prospect for him.

I do hope to enroll him in a swim class, but it may have to be a private one, as I do not want the other children being freaked out by HIS freaking out. Luckily our next door neighbors' adult daughter is a private swim instructor, so I may enlist her services :)

At the end of the day, the reality is that he would rather be inside with his books and his beloved blocks. I can't make him like being outside, and I do not want to happen to him what happened to me (disliking the outdoors MORE because I was forced to endure camping, fishing, and other things I detested). I am concerned that he should be getting more sunshine, though, and I'm wondering what line I should walk there, kwim?

What's at the root of the dislike though?  Is it heat? Cold? Bugs? Discomfort? Shyness of people? Mild agoraphobia? Fear of critters or dogs? Dislike of physical activity? Some other sensory issue?  How is his gross motor development and his core strength anyway?  Can he play on the play equipment and climb and so forth?

I guess I don't fully understand not being able to enjoy being outside when the weather is pleasant and the bugs aren't there unless there's something else at play.  I know many kids would rather be inside on video games or the like and I get that, but you say that's not the issue.

He doesn't care for the heat (he loves the snow!). Hates bugs (and there's no getting rid of them here). Not shy AT ALL. His ability to be physical is somewhat limited (medical needs), but he loves roughhousing with his little brother (ugh). He doesn't have the ability, because of his size, to play on the same play equipment his age peers are playing on. The size appropriate equipment, though, he can play well on.

Honestly, weather pleasant or not, I dislike the outdoors, so I feel him there.

Chalk easily washes off with water from the garden hose or sprinker. Sounds like he has sensory issues. He will need help, that is not something he will outgrow.

Try taking some indoor toys outside. Army men to the sandbox, lego box in the play area.

Is he fit enough to keep up with the other kids in tag, biking, or a sport?

Sports are limited (medical clearance for some, not for others). He loves tag (inside). He is small and still on a trike - he is far too small for the standard sized child bikes that his age peers are riding.

I would agree about sensory issues, if it weren't for that he doesn't seem to mind playing with the chalk inside, lol. He does want to wash his hands immediately, and that isn't possible outside. He will play with the chalk for a few minutes outside, but wants to wash pretty asap. He enjoys fingerpaint with a bowl of water nearby.

I don't like to be dirty either :P

In reading the OP's posts, I'm beginning to wonder if the little guy has some sensory issues that need to be addressed.  Keep in mind that many of us have sensory issues to some extent.  Whether or not they need addressing depends on how much they affect a person's life.  My oldest DS always hated getting his hands dirty.  But that was pretty much the extent of his sensory issues.  Not a huge deal, and not something that needed therapy.  Youngest DS didn't like getting his hands dirty, he didn't like bright sunlight, he said slightly louder than normal sounds hurt his ears, he wouldn't eat certain foods due to texture.  His sensory issues required some therapy.  It sounds as if your guy's issues are impacting his life a good deal.  And I say that as someone who's not overly fond of being outside (so I'm not saying it because I think being outside is particularly necessary or beneficial).

Does it count that much of the "sensory issues" only apply outdoors, though? And only in certain circumstances? He loves, for example, sunny winter days when the bugs are gone - he loves the snow especially.

My son is 5 and had problems being dirty and touching things that made his hands feel weird or dirty to him, around 3 I think?  I used to give him a spray bottle of water so he could "clean" the trees, patios, and toys.  I made sidewalk paint so that he could kind of chalk without having to touch it.  We would go for walks and I would supply him with a magnifying glass.  We would fly kites in an open field. We put in a fire pit and would sit around the fire and tells stories or make s'mores.  I let him poke the fire with a stick, because he was so curious.  We laid on a blanket and looked at cloud shapes.

He outgrew this phase and didn't have any special medical needs, but I put some work into outdoor activities that hit his comfort level until his comfort level started to increase.  I don't know if that would work for you...

As for swimming, my son has been afraid of water too. I wish we lived somewhere with a beach, because he doesn't find those intimidating at all.  A lazy river also was a big help, because I could hold him, he liked the feeling of warmer water moving around him, and that has helped get him over his fear of water.  We'll start swimming in the fall.

Instead of team sports, we'll be having him start gymnastics-indoors and not quite as competitive/cooperative, but ideally he'll learn basic tumbling he can then do outside.

Oh!  Instead of tricycle, try a cool Big Wheel.  My son has a hand me down one that makes motorcycle noise and the bigger neighborhood kids love it too!  They take turns on it while the other child chases him. 

Does it count that much of the "sensory issues" only apply outdoors, though? And only in certain circumstances? He loves, for example, sunny winter days when the bugs are gone - he loves the snow especially.

I think only an OT could tell you for sure.

Also, could this be a phase?

Looking through old pictures, I see this same kid happily playing outdoors - picking up and counting acorns at around 18 months old, trying to pick up ants and palmetto bugs, smearing Nutella all over himself...

I set up  labs (magnets, baking soda and vinegar, pipettes, and so on outside too.  Just to get him in the sun.  And I froze toys into ice cubes and let him chip away with salt, warm water, cold water,  a small screwdriver etc.   I got a kid hammer and let him pound nails into an old log.

I don't know what his medical needs are, but my child with medical needs has sensory issues as a direct result of her condition, so it wouldn't be surprising to me if you are seeing differences because he is different in other ways.

And having said that, I wouldn't worry as much about what a typical kid needs, if he is not typical. Ideally, he would be outside for hours, but realistically that might not be feasible.

Re: bikes, have you tried a plasmacar / wiggle car type scooter? My kids ages 1-9 all love those, little kids can handle them, big kids like them too. My kids mostly ride by pushing off with their feet, it's faster than the wiggle method...

I'm an idiot. I just realized that his absolute hatred of outside started after the older two children (DD and DS5) were on the unfortunate receiving end of a bee attack last Halloween (along with other children in the neighborhood). He ended up with many, many stings and it was absolute chaos - children screaming that something was inside them, pitch dark, rushing children to strip and back to their homes for baths and treatment. Don't get me wrong - he's never been a sports or outdoors loving child, or a messy child, and his medical limitations are very real, but the paralyzing fear of bugs wasn't present until then.

I think we'll do a friendly bug study this year. And maybe ask his ped about it.

Aw, the bee stings sound as though they could have been very scary and probably are playing a role in his feelings.

My younger son never liked being outside from the time he was a baby.  He has asthma and allergies and once he was able to communicate, I realized being outside is spring and fall, in particular, resulted in allergy related headaches.  Summer is hot and muggy and no one wants to be outside then.

I love being outdoors and took the kids out a lot when they were younger but it hasn't necessarily resulted in out door loving teens, admittedly a bit sad about that...but they are still great kids and I told them yesterday how glad I was to be their mom.  :)

Aw, the bee stings sound as though they could have been very scary and probably are playing a role in his feelings.

My younger son never liked being outside from the time he was a baby.  He has asthma and allergies and once he was able to communicate, I realized being outside is spring and fall, in particular, resulted in allergy related headaches.  Summer is hot and muggy and no one wants to be outside then.

I love being outdoors and took the kids out a lot when they were younger but it hasn't necessarily resulted in out door loving teens, admittedly a bit sad about that...but they are still great kids and I told them yesterday how glad I was to be their mom.  :)

He used to deal with it in moderation. I think the bee incident was pushed to the back of my mind because it was later in fall, and then we had winter (low bug count), so nothing seemed to pop up until the spring time. He's never cared much for bugs (outside of trying to play with them as a young toddler), but it wasn't as paralyzing as it is now.

Lol @ the teens remark. My almost 13 year old has her days... she'll go almost a week not outside at all, then the next week she'll be outside, in the neighborhood, playing hard all day, every day, for a week. Hit or miss with her.

He doesn't care for the park, even with friends ("I want to go to my home - I love my home - can we go home now?").

He is terrified of pools and won't step foot near them. He does enjoy a bit of time in the sprinkler (front yard), but that's short lived.

He's a pretty timid fella - he doesn't like large animals like horses.

What is geocaching? Off to google!

He loves playing with others, but if they do not want to play inside, he is perfectly happy to play inside alone. Not in a bad "want to be isolated" way (he loves company); more in a "meh - *shrug* - that's okay, I'll do my thing, you do yours" kind of way :P

Google Letterboxing too. There's no GPS equipment and no trinkets. There are stamps in the boxes and you stamp your own passport-like book to remember your hike. The websites tell you exactly how long the hike is too, so you can get him hooked by finding a few boxes that are practically in the parking lot, then work up to 1/2 mile, 1/2 mile, and longer hikes. Most walks are nice, civilized paved walks so you don't get into briars or trespassing issues like you can with geocaching.

I do this with my outdoor adverse, wheelchair-bound son.

We had a bee attack too at that age. They flew around me and the older guy, walking across a wooden bridge,  then flew ahead of us and targeted the back of younger ds's lower legs (he was five then). I have no idea why...he was wearing the same color shorts and socks as his sib. Maybe something about his size.  We steered clear of bee habitats for a while.

It was crazy. We all laugh about it now (not around Nico). The entire sequence of events was like something out of a horror movie - pitch dark, trick or treating, and all of a sudden children are screaming that something is "inside of them" (the bees had flown up their costumes); frantic parents, shrieking children. Our own very modest DD ran home, 2 streets away, stripping and screaming. I forgot about the baby in the stroller (have I mentioned that I love our neighbors? They remembered my baby in the stroller, while I was busy stripping a shrieking 5 year old and trying to track my fast 12 year old who was half naked running towards home).

My children insist that we skip that house this Halloween.

How about some consistent, easy jobs to do daily?

Like: litter patrol?

Weed hunting? (We let the kids dig out dandelions with old screwdrivers)

Taking out trash and recycling

Watering

Sweeping the porch or steps

Just a series of quick jobs that he is capable of doing...

Sports are limited (medical clearance for some, not for others). He loves tag (inside). He is small and still on a trike - he is far too small for the standard sized child bikes that his age peers are riding.

:P

I just wanted to address this one tiny piece of the puzzle - you can buy very small standard bikes, small enough for anyone who can ride a trike. My kids were tiny, fell off the bottom of the growth chart, but definitely had standard bikes well before 5 yrs old. We have freakishly athletic neighbors of small to average size, and they are riding bikes without training wheels at 3!

We actually found them a bit easier than trikes, because their short legs were closer to the pedals. So, if he's sensitive about looking young, the bike problem can likely be solved.

As to the OP, I would require at least small amounts of outdoor time daily for sure, making them as pleasant for him as possible. The bug study sounds like a good idea.

Other than maybe getting some Vitamin D?  None.

:iagree:

If my ds wants to spend time outside, that's fine, but if he doesn't, that's fine with me, too. It's not like he's a hermit who never gets out of the house. :)

I'm not a big believer in forced activities for children.

I would aim for at least an hour a day of outside time.  That doesn't have to be playing, that can be you guys out for a walk together.  Now if you asked my youngest 2 kids how much time a kid needs, they would tell you 24 hours a day (ds10 is asking if he can move into the tent in the yard again this summer-last year he slept for several weeks in one).  I feel outdoor time is important not just for the vitamin D and fresh air but also for connection to the world we live in.  Have you read last child in the woods? I would read it and then start finding ways to encourage outdoor time even when one is scared of bugs etc Bees can be scary even to adults.  Ds10 was stung multiple times when he was about that age.  He and the neighbor girl were digging in her garden near their little pond fountain thing.  There was a wasp nest in the ground and they dug right into it.  Ds was stung several times.  I think the only reason he ended up not scared of them is because he was praised by everyone for years following the incident because he protected his friend.  She is allergic to bees/wasps, ds didn't know that, but he did know he didn't want his little friend hurt and threw himself over top of her.  He was stung multiple times, she never got a single one.  Nothing takes the fear out of a situation like being praised as a hero.  

It's too late as far as the bee attack your son faced, but you could start somewhat now.  Using positive re-enforcement about facing fears etc and being matter of fact about it.  I find even with the kids biggest phobias, they are more likely to face them and calm down faster if I am matter of fact that this is this, rather than coddling them in their fear kwim? I don't mean blow them off when scared, but don't fret about it if that makes sense.  Bee attacks are not something that happen every time you head outside, so he needs to see that is a fact, that 99% of the time the bees etc leave you alone and it is safe to be out.

I would agree about sensory issues, if it weren't for that he doesn't seem to mind playing with the chalk inside, lol. He does want to wash his hands immediately, and that isn't possible outside. He will play with the chalk for a few minutes outside, but wants to wash pretty asap. He enjoys fingerpaint with a bowl of water nearby.

I don't like to be dirty either :p

You know if he likes chalk, you can make or buy sidewalk chalk that you paint and then it dries to chalk consistency.  He would be using a paint brush which means not getting dirty and not touching the actual chalk.

Other options since he likes to be clean is a basin (like those white square wash tubs you can get at the $ store or even an old baby bathtub) with warm soapy water and his toys to be washed.  He can wash them in the bin and lay them on a towel on the lawn to dry.  He gets outdoor playtime, stays clean and the toys get a nice cleaning (something that I think toys need a little more often)

How about some consistent, easy jobs to do daily?

Like: litter patrol?

Weed hunting? (We let the kids dig out dandelions with old screwdrivers)

Taking out trash and recycling

Watering

Sweeping the porch or steps

Just a series of quick jobs that he is capable of doing...

That's exactly what I was thinking...

Also, walking to the end of the driveway to get the mail from the mailbox.

When we found that we were spending an abundant amount of time indoors, we got a dog. We just picked up our second one this weekend. They get us out and about even if we don't want to and it's been a good thing. Dds were excited about walks, and potty breaks, and just playing in the grass. Dds are older now but they still understand the dogs need exercise to stay healthy so they are more than happy to help take them on long walks.

A lounge chair outside with your son's favorite drink and a stack of books might work to get in a daily dose of vitamin D.

My kids don't like outdoors in certain weather. I get them to water their plants just to get them outdoors.

There are sidewalk chalk holders. My neighbor's young kids use those to keep their hands clean.

I think that so long as the vitamin D requirements are being met, a child would be able to live fine without any outdoor time at all. However, I think that would be a very limiting thing to allow if there were no medical issue forcing it.

We live on a small farm and occasionally have visitors who are uncomfortable with being out of doors. It pains me to see how miserable they are, just walking from their car to our house. I think it is important to teach all children how to be able to handle at least small doses of the outdoors, for safety's sake. What if they are traveling in a car that breaks down and have to walk to safety? What if they are in a building that is evacuated and they must stand around outside for a prolonged period of time? I'm not saying that every child will or should love the outdoors, but I strongly believe that every child should be given the skills to at least cope with controlled exposure, to avoid unnecessary stress should outdoor exposure be forced upon them.

One recent child visitor began screaming when she saw a bee in the clover beside our sidewalk. It was not about to sting her or any danger to her at all. However, she started screaming and running, tripped, fell and skinned her knee. This is what I am talking about. When a child's fear of something causes the child to react in a way that results in injury when the object of the fear was not any type of threat at all. In another instance, a 10yo boy was so afraid of our horses that he nearly ran into an electric fence when he panicked when one of them neighed at another one. The horse was no where near the boy and no danger at all - the boy was a danger to himself, due to his fear.

So I would encourage everyone to try to at least give your dc some basic familiarity with dealing with nature and the outdoors. Determining when an animal, bird or insect is actually dangerous and when they are not. The realization that nature is not child proofed - and that you must observe common sense safety rules. Just the basic skills to navigate an outdoor setting safely.

One thing that was helpful here especially ages 6-8 was providing something to think about. Kid's tree and bird identification guides that could easily be carried on walks provided some interest as well as back and forth story telling on walks. Having something to engage the mind can help make distract and build tolerance for some of the sensory stuff.

One recent child visitor began screaming when she saw a bee in the clover beside our sidewalk. It was not about to sting her or any danger to her at all. However, she started screaming and running, tripped, fell and skinned her knee. This is what I am talking about. When a child's fear of something causes the child to react in a way that results in injury when the object of the fear was not any type of threat at all. In another instance, a 10yo boy was so afraid of our horses that he nearly ran into an electric fence when he panicked when one of them neighed at another one. The horse was no where near the boy and no danger at all - the boy was a danger to himself, due to his fear.

I''m not sure that being outdoors will desensitize a kid to fears. I WISH it would. My son is afraid of bugs inside or out, but he'll take out a mouse for me. I'm irrationally terrified of mice/rats and I spent most of my childhood outside.

That said, I DO think it's good and healthy to get out. If you have a child who never asks to go out, you may have to take charge. Right now my oldest is on a walk. I don't tally her hours because she's out plenty. DS, however needs some prodding. He often skips a day, but over the course of a week I make sure he's out at least an hour a day as long as it's above 50 degrees (any colder and DH takes over because I'm a wimp.) It's not easy. He's in a wheelchair so it's not as simple as opening a door and shooing him out, but there are things we CAN do. We go on a lot of walks, find letterboxes, go to the zoo, eat outside when possible at home or at a restaurant, go to the pool, etc. Just serving lunch outside gets you lots of time. If he doesn't like the bugs, set up a screenhouse or aim an oscillating fan at your dining area. Bugs don't get you when it's windy.

Half the time DS balks because he dislikes transitions, but usually once we're out and about he shifts gears and enjoys it. I put in the effort because I think it''a valuable. He learns to cope with temperatures outside of a normal indoor range. He observes seasonal differences. Things change outdoors in a way they don't inside. It's good for anyone of any age to observe the animals, watch the seasons change, feel the wind on your skin and smell the scents it carries. It's good for your eyes to know how to focus on things in a distance. I'm convinced that map skills are first developed by roaming your neighborhood and forming mental maps of your own outdoor surroundings. Skipping outdoor time would feel like blowing off math. It's just not the best idea.

Some days I tell DS that we're going to the pool, but he only has to stay in for 30 minutes. MOST days he stays much longer. Some days he's out in exactly 30 minutes. As per our agreement, I cheerfully take him home even if I secretly had my heart set on pool-lounging for a few hours.