Menu

Dispute with hotel- WWYD?

wonderchica

Last week when we went on vacation out of state, we stayed at a Hampton Inn and left a pillow behind. I didn't care about the pillow, but wanted the pillowcase as that pattern has been discontinued and I need it to match the other pillows. Called and asked them to mail the case. They said they would charge my credit card to ship it. I stressed repeatedly that I wanted it mailed the cheapest way possible. Frankly, I was surprised they wouldn't just mail it on their own dime. Got the pillowcase, but imagine my surprise when I saw they shipped it FedEx and charged me $24!!! For a pillowcase in an envelope!

I called the hotel manager yesterday who said they had no idea what FedEx charged when they shipped it, and stated they can't refund me because the charge was from FedEx. She said they are not responsible for what FedEx charges, and have "no way of knowing what your conversation was about mailing it". I feel like this is unacceptable and the hotel should give me back the $24. It could have easily been stuck in an envelope and sent at the post office for less than $5. What says the Hive? Am I crazy or are they? The general manager is supposed to call me today.

Let's say they paid $5 for shipping at the post office. Add in the time/labor costs of someone having to talk to you/get your address/etc., track down the pillow, pack up the pillow case, take it to the post office, etc., and they've spent at least $24 to get you your pillowcase back. They just charged you the FedEx charge, not anything else. They did you a favor.

I think it would be nice if they shipped it to you for free. I think many hotels will do that, and I think that extra bit of service is really nice, but...I also don't think they are obligated to do it. If I forget something at a hotel, that's my fault.

The other thing is, they probably have a FedEx account and FedEx will pick up at the business location. I'm thinking sending it through the postal service would involve having to send an employee out to the post office. That might just not be feasible.

I understand the sticker shock, but I really can't imagine why this is their fault or why you would dispute the charge. $24 is also probably cheaper than buying a new set of matching sheets, no?

The other thing is, they probably have a FedEx account and FedEx will pick up at the business location. I'm thinking sending it through the postal service would involve having to send an employee out to the post office. That might just not be feasible.

I understand the sticker shock, but I really can't imagine why this is their fault or why you would dispute the charge. $24 is also probably cheaper than buying a new set of matching sheets, no?

:iagree: 

There isn't a policy, the manager told me they wouldn't have sent it that way if they knew it was going to be $24. Part of my frustration is that I wouldn't have had it sent if I knew how much it would be, plus they had reassured me they would mail it as cheaply as possible. I was polite on the phone of course and thanked them for sending it.

My sister forgot her pillow at a hotel this past trip we took. She was told to get it sent back she would need to provide a credit card & she's be charged just the shipping cost. I think you should be happy you got your pillowcase back & grateful the hotel was willing to only charge the shipping fee. I'm sure they just wanted to get in returned to you promptly & price comparing shipping options is an extra step for them.

I wouldn't expect a hotel to price shop for the cheapest shipping.  I expect they have fedex people through the front door daily, and that is the easiest way for them to ship.  They already went above and beyond by finding and shipping you a pillowcase that was left on your error.  I'd be mildly irritated and know better for next time.  I would not expect or pursue a refund.

I wouldn't expect a hotel to price shop for the cheapest shipping.  I expect they have fedex people through the front door daily, and that is the easiest way for them to ship.  They already went above and beyond by finding and shipping you a pillowcase that was left on your error.  I'd be mildly irritated and know better for next time.  I would not expect or pursue a refund.

:iagree:  

I also would not leave a negative review over this. 

Last week when we went on vacation out of state, we stayed at a Hampton Inn and left a pillow behind. I didn't care about the pillow, but wanted the pillowcase as that pattern has been discontinued and I need it to match the other pillows. Called and asked them to mail the case. They said they would charge my credit card to ship it. I stressed repeatedly that I wanted it mailed the cheapest way possible. Frankly, I was surprised they wouldn't just mail it on their own dime. Got the pillowcase, but imagine my surprise when I saw they shipped it FedEx and charged me $24!!! For a pillowcase in an envelope!

I called the hotel manager yesterday who said they had no idea what FedEx charged when they shipped it, and stated they can't refund me because the charge was from FedEx. She said they are not responsible for what FedEx charges, and have "no way of knowing what your conversation was about mailing it". I feel like this is unacceptable and the hotel should give me back the $24. It could have easily been stuck in an envelope and sent at the post office for less than $5. What says the Hive? Am I crazy or are they? The general manager is supposed to call me today.

Honestly... Its a lot easier at my office to send something FedEx than to go to the post office.  With Fed Ex I can set it up online, including the pickup. And set it on the table and they pcik it up.

We don't go to the post office on a regular basis. So that would have been a separate trip, in which I couldn't get other work done.

I wouldn't expect a hotel to price shop for the cheapest shipping. I expect they have fedex people through the front door daily, and that is the easiest way for them to ship. They already went above and beyond by finding and shipping you a pillowcase that was left on your error. I'd be mildly irritated and know better for next time. I would not expect or pursue a refund.

I agree. I wouldn't expect the hotel to figure out the cheapest method to ship and/or to send someone to the post office for me.

We left my daughter's black belt certificate on top of the tv armoire once (hubby thought it would be safe up there) and had to call the hotel and have them find it...cost $15 for UPS to get it to us but more than worth it.

Someone may have had to dig through laundry to find your pillowcase, you never know. Moral is check everywhere and everything before leaving a hotel room.

When people left pillows or other things at our hotel when I ran the front desk, we had to send things COD.  Granted this was 15years ago.  Fed Ex accounts were setup through corporate and it would not have been as easy asit is to do what they did today.  

To send stuff then, I had to find a box and then I had to take them to the post office on my own time.  Now with the way Fed ex is set up, it is so much easier.  But I will tell you that the front desk has NO CLUE what a fex ex shippment costs.  Sorry, that is not their job.  But the smaller something is the more it cost to send it via Fed Ex.  Fed Ex people explained that to me last christmas.  So it may have actually been cheaper to send the whole pillow. 

Don't leave them a negative review.  They did you a favor.  One they have no what of knowing what hte cost would be.  This is a just be grateful you got it back.  Think of it this way, since it is discontinued, $24 is still way cheaper than buying a whole set of new sheets. 

PSA FOR PEOPLE WHO TRAVEL WITH PILLOWS FROM A FORMER HOTEL PERSON...

Hotel sheets are white 99% of the time.  Do not bring your from home pillow in a white or very light colored pillow case. Put it in a dark blue or red or some darker color that will stick out against the sheets, even if it falls on the floor.   We often had people come back and get their pillows having gotten just a bit down the road.  We would alwasy suggest this for future trips and people always thought it was a good idea.  

I agree with everyone else. The hotel is already doing you a favor by sending the pillowcase. Asking them to price compare and take time to go to the post office seems too much. I would be appalled to pay that much as well, but I would consider it my fault for forgetting in the first place.

I agree. They don't pay their employees to shop for the best shipping on a forgotten item. I understand that you were told this would happen, and apparently the person you spoke to (who promised you the lowest rate) isn't the one who did the mailing. If anything, you shouldn't have been told you'd get the lowest possible shipping cost. However, I'd just be glad it was found and that they were willing to take the time to send it back to you.

I would be irritated that I forgot the pillow. I'd be thrilled to get my pillow back. I'd be irritated to pay the $24. I'd vent about it on a message board & to anyone who would listen. I would use no more than 2 phone calls to try to get the hotel to "give" a bit on the shipping cost, realizing that it was my goof & any "give" they have is purely out of kindness rather than obligation.

And then I'd let it go. I'd make two tracings of my pillowcase to get the pattern (one for back up) and I would be sure to sew it enough to make it worth my $24.

In a large chain like that, I would think they have a standard procedure, which probably includes Fedex or UPS for tracking purposes, and a pickup by the shipping company. We were charged $40ish when leaving clothes in a hotel. Another time, we had to leave suddenly and the dry cleaning wasn't ready when it was supposed to be. They shipped it to us for free, as it was the dry cleaner's fault for being late. When we stayed in a small mom and pop hotel in Lancaster, PA, and my son left his brand new very expensive glasses, they offered to bring it to the post office to save us some money on shipping it back. We decided it was a good excuse for a day trip and drove down to get it ourselves, but if we had not done that I would have preferred to pay the higher cost of Fedex.

I had the opposite situation happen to me last month.  I left behind an irreplaceable gold necklace (I'd had one of the charms since childhood, the other since I was a teen).  I didn't realize it until a few days later when I finally realized the last time I'd worn the necklace was in that city.  I called the hotel and it turns out they had the necklace. It took 24 hours for them to get back to me so I was sure it was gone and was crying bitter tears.  They said they'd send it to me by FedEx or UPS and charge it to the credit card on file which sounded great to me; I'd gladly pay $24!  Imagine my surprise when it showed up a couple of days later in my mailbox in a plain letter envelope with a stamp on it.  I was so mad that A) they KNEW who had checked out of that room; why didn't they call to ask, "Hey did you maybe leave behind a piece of jewellery?" and then B)they tossed an obviously unique and expensive item in a letter envelope and sent it by USPS!

Oh, and I did check my credit card statement to make sure they at least hadn't run a charge through for shipping!

I had the opposite situation happen to me last month.  I left behind an irreplaceable gold necklace (I'd had one of the charms since childhood, the other since I was a teen).  I didn't realize it until a few days later when I finally realized the last time I'd worn the necklace was in that city.  I called the hotel and it turns out they had the necklace. It took 24 hours for them to get back to me so I was sure it was gone and was crying bitter tears.  They said they'd send it to me by FedEx or UPS and charge it to the credit card on file which sounded great to me; I'd gladly pay $24!  Imagine my surprise when it showed up a couple of days later in my mailbox in a plain letter envelope with a stamp on it.  I was so mad that A) they KNEW who had checked out of that room; why didn't they call to ask, "Hey did you maybe leave behind a piece of jewellery?" and then B)they tossed an obviously unique and expensive item in a letter envelope and sent it by USPS!

Oh, and I did check my credit card statement to make sure they at least hadn't run a charge through for shipping!

LOL - where's the gratitude people?  The necklace could have been forgotten 3 people ago.  It also could have easily disappeared behind a dresser or desk not to be found for a long time or ever.  I would see why the hotel would wait and see who called for the necklace.  Then they bothered to mail it and you received it in a timely manner.  All above and beyond the call of duty.  Most professional handling?  No, but it was your mistake they were rectifying. 

LOL - where's the gratitude people?  The necklace could have been forgotten 3 people ago.  It also could have easily disappeared behind a dresser or desk not to be found for a long time or ever.  I would see why the hotel would wait and see who called for the necklace.  Then they bothered to mail it and you received it in a timely manner.  All above and beyond the call of duty.  Most professional handling?  No, but it was your mistake they were rectifying. 

No kidding! Instead of being upset because of how the hotel shipped it, I'd be thrilled to get back an irreplaceable necklace that was left behind due to my own negligence.

I travel a bit for business and often ship packages from my hotel.  I pack the boxes and use my premade UPS labels charging the shipment to my account.  All I do is drop the package at the hotel front desk or business office and have them hand them over to UPS during their daily pickup.  Hotels routinely charge me $10-$20 dollars per box for that service.  I can easily see being charged $24 when they are packing the materials and paying the freight.

I think you should be glad that you got the pillowcase back and accept that it cost you $24 to do so. You really can't expect the hotel to do anything other than what's most convenient for them, which is get the item to Fed Ex. You can't expect them to negotiate price on your behalf or follow specific instructions that you give them. That's not feasible given the number of clients they serve.

My dd left her most loved stuffed dog in a motel one time.  They mailed it back to me, and I did get charged - seems like it was about $20.  Funny cause the stuff animal didn't cost half that much.  It was my fault for not checking the floor more carefully, and I had no expectation that they should send it to me on their dime.  Why?  They could have sent it cheaper, but I was just thankful to get it back.  Dd still has the stuffed dog with her.  We always joke that Brownie was the more expensive stuff animal our girls ever had.

I'd let it go and thank your lucky stars they sent it back to you. You were the ones that left it. They were nice enough to take the time to send it. I'd be thankful.

My daughter's bear that she sleeps with every night got left once at a hotel. I usually do a final check, but my husband did one while I was packing the van and it got left. The hotel shipped it to us. I can't remember if they charged us, as it's been 7 years ago. However, it was a long couple of nights waiting for it. And ever since, I do a final sweep of the room to make sure we have everything, even if he's already checked the room.

How would they have known it was unique and expensive?   

No kidding! Instead of being upset because of how the hotel shipped it, I'd be thrilled to get back an irreplaceable necklace that was left behind due to my own negligence.

Didn't know I would get hate on this one...I know it was my mistake, hence the bitter tears of regret...it was my own carelessness.   I was effusively thankful on the phone with them and they knew how important the necklace was.  When I asked specifically how it would be sent I said something like, "Oh, good, insurance is included" when they said UPS/FedEx.  As relieved as I am to be wearing my necklace again, I still think it was very badly handled on their part! 

Customers might be wrong (careless) but in the service industry they are still always right except in the case of criminal activity.  In my case, the hotel would have earned a ton of goodwill if they had done what they said they'd do and charge me for shipping by an insured, trackable method.  In wonderchica's case, I'm willing to bet the hotel which has mail going out every day, had a way to pay postage on a large envelope without sending an employee to the post office.  Yes, I'm glad to have my necklace back & OP is glad to have the pillowcase back, but in both cases the hotels would have had THRILLED customers instead of merely relieved customers, if they'd done what they said they'd do.

ETA: I just noticed the 'above & beyond the call of duty' statement. Nope.  They are in the service industry.  They serve. 

How would they have known it was unique and expensive?   

My post said it was gold, so that covers the expensive part.  I guess uniqueness is in the eye of the beholder, but I frequently get comments on it.  I still say that although it was negligent of me to leave it behind, it was equally negligent of them to pop it in a flimsy letter envelope and have it go out with their daily correspondence.

My dd left her most loved stuffed dog in a motel one time.  They mailed it back to me, and I did get charged - seems like it was about $20.  Funny cause the stuff animal didn't cost half that much.  It was my fault for not checking the floor more carefully, and I had no expectation that they should send it to me on their dime.  Why?  They could have sent it cheaper, but I was just thankful to get it back.  Dd still has the stuffed dog with her.  We always joke that Brownie was the more expensive stuff animal our girls ever had.

Raising hand, us too.  "Lambie" cost me just over $20.  And I TOLD the lady at the front desk that we were in "no hurry and just to ship it the cheapest way."  Oh well.  Lambie is important to the 5 year old and it was our fault for not going through all the drawers before we left.

It was quite annoying, but I did weigh the cost of turning around by the time we figured he was missing, and it would have been about $20 and an hour or more extra driving--  and I told my son that he's getting old enough that we would not do this again :)

Lesson learned--getting items returned from a hotel is expensive.  But I"m glad they returned it--

Betsy

My post said it was gold, so that covers the expensive part.  I guess uniqueness is in the eye of the beholder, but I frequently get comments on it.  I still say that although it was negligent of me to leave it behind, it was equally negligent of them to pop it in a flimsy letter envelope and have it go out with their daily correspondence.

To tell you the truth, I can't tell real gold from fake gold.  :blush:    So I guess I just assume some number of people are like that too, and maybe the people who handled it simply didn't know it was valuable.   

WOW.  That's nuts.  $24 bucks?  They could have driven it to you cheaper than that.

I'd complain IN WRITING to the manager, and request a refund of $20.  Amazon can ship a book for $4, so it is reasonable to assume that the hotel can mail a pillowcase for less. 

WOW.  That's nuts.  $24 bucks?  They could have driven it to you cheaper than that.

I'd complain IN WRITING to the manager, and request a refund of $20.  Amazon can ship a book for $4, so it is reasonable to assume that the hotel can mail a pillowcase for less. 

Amazon has incredible rates with the postal service and other carriers due to massive bulk shipping daily.

I'd say $24 is in typical. I left a coat at the airport once- goose down, very light.  Got it back with about $20 in shipping. The lady in lost& found said she had no idea how much it costs and I believe her.... in my business experience, employees just see forms with the account number. All they do is write an address and put it in the pile for the carrier to pick up.  That dumb coat only cost me $35 in the first place (clearance) but I was glad to get it back.