Menu

Survey Questions # 1 through # 3

179 members have voted

1. 1. Why Do You Homeschool

• Academic Experience
    • Religious Beliefs
    • Both
    • Other (Please specify)
  2. 2. What Educational Philosophy Do You Utilize/Implement in Your Homeschool?

• Classical
    • Charlotte Mason
    • Traditional Textbook
    • Unit Study
    • Un-Schooling
    • Other (Please specify)
  3. 3. What Resources/Materials Do You Utilize in Your Homeschool?

• Pre-Planned/Packaged Curriculum
    • Work Books
    • Text Books
    • Online Curriculum
    • Other (Please specify)

Did I miss a thread somewhere? What is this survey all about? (NM. I just found the introduction.)

With educational philosophies, I'm probably more classical, but we use textbooks (I find that an odd philosophy choice) and unit studies. So that got an "other" for me.

And with resources / materials, I use all of the options, so I selected "other.".

I'm afraid you'll find my answers unhelpful as I'm an "other" in all three categories.

We homeschool for a whole slew of reasons, with neither of the top two being the two you give. Someone just asked dh & I last night why we chose homeschooling. It isn't a quick & easy answer.

Educational philosophy - I fall under "Eclectic" - as in, a little classical, a little CM, and some "school-at-home" (although I'd say we're more workbooky than traditional textbook).

It would help with #3 "What Resources/Materials" to be able to choose more than one option as I use some materials that are workbooky (our math), some that are available from pre-planned/packaged places (like Memoria Press's Latin stuff), and have been known to use textbooks (science, for example) especially as my oldest gets older. My "other" basically says that I take a bunch of different stuff and mash them together in a very eclectic plan that involves a variety of living books, a spine (that could be a textbook!), memory work, coloring pages or lapbooking, and some art or music thrown in for spice. 

For questions 2-3, we do an eclectic mix of everything.  Whatever works, is thorough, and enjoyable at the same time.  Our main program has become TOG which uses living books and a few texts.  We use workbooks for Latin and math with supplemental videos thrown in (Visual Latin, MathTV, Kahn Academy, etc.).  The only thing we haven't done is an online class--too expensive right now.

#1 - Why? We homeschool for a variety of reasons. Academic - I think we can provide a better academic environment for each child and cater to their strengths and weaknesses better. Religious - yes. Social - My kids are very socialized, but we have the opportunity to control some of their social interactions including avoiding a lot of the social junk that goes on in school.

#2 - Ecclectic - mostly a mix of classical and Charlotte Mason

#3 - Resources - all sorts: textbooks (for high school math and science); few online classes for high school; occational workbook; lots of literature; co-op classes

We are religious, but HS for academic reasons and with mostly secular materials.

I'm more classical than anything else, but it's my own "spin" on it.

We use a mix of textbooks, workbooks, "living books", lots of literature, the occasional unit study, etc.

I chose "other" because I use multiple educational philosophies -- and different kinds of materials for each subject, too.  So we take a C.M. approach to language arts and use workbooks for geography, and more of a classical approach for history.  Textbooks for math, but not for reading, for example.

Wouldn't that be "other"?

lol I suppose so.

1) mostly academic reasons. Not because this isn't an alright school here, but because with my kids needs, and how far north we are, my kids couldn't get what they needed to do well.

2) My oldest is more classical then anything else, with some unit studies thrown in here and there. My dd is a mixture of everything. My youngest ds is basically whatever I can find that makes him interested at the time. Math, good literature, and grammar study are non-negotiables though.

3) We have used some pre-planned packages although usually in the summer or for a month when I need a break. We use workbooks and a couple of textbooks. We haven't used an online program yet but I think it is in our near future for my oldest although not for all his courses. I have also used things that I have thrown together myself or jumped on moments where they are interested in something and just ran with it without anything. We spent an hour observing an anthill once and then went online to see what else we could find to answer some of the questions they had. In other words, I use whatever gets the job done.

I had to pick "other" for all three.

1. We homeschool for several reasons.  Primarily, we think we can give dd a better education than the public schools.  I'm also concerned about how fast kids in the public schools seem to grow up now.  We were at the playground the other day, and there was a second grader listening to the most unbelievably offensive music on a cell phone.  And it's not some religious thing- we're not Christian- I just don't want my six-year-old strutting around in hooker clothes swearing and talking about boys and sex.

2. I don't stick to one particular philosophy.  I've read them all, and incorporated the bits and pieces that work for us.

3. Again, we use a little bit of everything.  Some textbooks, some workbooks, some online programs, lots of literature.

1. Why we homeschool: I voted "Academic," but in reality it's so much more complicated than that. The three top reasons we homeschool are: the culture of violence in the schools (our son is a bully magnet), better academics at home (asynchronous learner), flexibility with our own family schedule.

2. Educational philosophy: I voted "Other." We do a blend of classical and Charlotte Mason.

3. Resources: I voted "Other." We use a variety of materials, including unit studies, math texts, world language programs, and pre-planned curricula. We supplement with a range of iPad apps, websites, games, books, and field trips.

1. I voted other.  We started out homeschooling for mostly academic and family reasons.  It has grown into a much longer list.  Now we homeschool for academic, more family time, religious reasons (as a nice side benefit of being able to include scriptures in our history studies), political reasons, etc.

2. I voted other.  We are mostly classical, although I would maybe qualify us as a bit eclectic.  Lately, I have been trying to add in a bit of CM.

3. I also voted other. We use a bit of everything, textbooks, workbooks, living books, etc.

Other for all three.

I homeschooled for lots of reasons. Academic excellence and religion weren't,t among them. More free time, family closeness, avoiding school, being able to customize we're some of the many reasons. I used twtm, heavily customized for my family. It fell pretty far short of what I would consider a classical education, by the time I got done. We did emphasize learning to learn, though, which is a major part of twtm.

Nan

1. It is simply a lifestyle choice for us. We started off for medical reasons with dd#1. Dd#2a told us it wasn't fair. It turned out to be a lifestyle choice in the end. 

2. Since we have been homeschooling so long, we have used a bit of all the above. I guess eclectic would be the best overall description. We do a bit of it all.

3. Once again, we use it all. Depends on the subject, child, and what year it is.

I had to vote "other" for all options. We homeschool for a variety of reasons, two of the main of which are academic and lifestyle. We follow an eclectic philosophy of "do what works." I used to be fairly hard-core WTM-style, but it plays to all my son's weaknesses, and my dd finds it too constraining, so we just do what works for each kid. We use a variety of resources that don't fit neatly into any of of your categories.

We homeschool for predominantly academic reasons with a little religious consideration. So, I voted 'both' in #1.

I most identify with a classical philosophy of education. I am all about Socratic discussions and living books; however, I chose 'other' in #2. Between the needs of both dc, i have to set aside 'ideal' methods sometimes.

I also chose 'other' in #3. I have used all of the above at different stages and times and in different ways.

I had to vote other. Why do we homeschool? NOW, it's because I can do it better and in less amount of time than what the public school can. I have the freedom to work around our schedule, and not schedule my life around somebody else's. ORIGINALLY, we homeschooled because our 5 year old daughter would be on the bus upwards of 15 hours a week. and we thought surely in even 15 hours we can do kindergarten. then to add 7 hours a day of school. No thanks.

I voted other for what type. we do what works for us. we have some elements of classical, some of cm, some text books some unit studies. Eclectic.

And I use some of all the types listed. I use sonlight,but I change into into what works for my family. I use text books. And work books. And no books at all.

For #1, I picked Academic, though there's more to it than that.

For #2, I don't subscribe entirely to any of those approaches.

For #3, I'm eclectic. I'm comfortable treating curricula as menus and making up some of my own things. (I'm a former schoolteacher.) We're big fans of the public library.

Like most people, my answers do not fit neatly into the available options in the poll.

1. Both plus a host of other reasons. Schedule, curriculum choices, one-on-one instruction, freedom from school socialization and peer influence, flexibility....

2.  Ecclectic. Some classical, some CM, some unit study...whatever works!

3. All kinds of materials. 

Okay. I'll play.

1) Both, though it was a toss-up between that and academic. Originally it was all academic, but we certainly add more religious emphasis than we would with a brick and mortar school.

2) Only a few of those are actually philosophies. Classical is the closest we get to any on your list.

3) Other. We have textbooks, workbooks, and gobs of living/real books. They all have their place.

Same here.

Educational philosophy- all of the above!  lol  I take a little from each of those theories and mix it up to make it work for us.

Resources- I use some text books, work books, and lots of living books.  I don't use online courses, but we do use fun apps and BrainPop.

1. Other. When we first decided to homeschool, it was primarily for academic reasons. For dh, it still is. For me, academics is a big part of it, but my primary reason is just time. Ps is too long. It robs kids of their childhood. It robs them of the opportunity to get bored, and thereby creative. It robs them of the opportunity to really explore interests outside of school. It robs families of time together. It dictates to families when they can go on vacations. It runs yr whole life. That's not for me.

2. Mainly Charlotte Mason, with a slight unschooling bent.

3. We just use book lists. We use a curriculum for math, but everything else is increasingly interest-driven or loosely planned by me.

1.  Academic.  However, you can note that special learning needs play a huge role within that.  

2.  CM was my vote, but I'm not a CM purist.  I'm 3/4 CM and 1/4 TWTM.

3.  Other.  Living Books would be the best description.

LIke others, I clicked on "Other" for #2&3 because it varies from year to year and child to child. I suppose I am relaxed classical, he he. Is there such a thing? If not, I've invented it. However, I used a lot of unit studies along with lots of memorization when children were young. 

Other for all 3

1. While both academics and faith play a part in our homeschool, the primary reason we homeschool is social/lifestyle choices. My husband and I were both homeschooled and we want the close family relationships, the lack of peer pressure and bullying, the flexibility and experiences, and the lifestyle that homeschooling gives us. I can't imagine not seeing my kids for 7 or so hours 5 days a week, and only getting to spend time with them squished between homework and dinner time. I want to be the primary influence in their lives and I want to be alongside them as they learn and develop.

2. Eclectic. Depends on the subject and age of the child

3. Textbooks and workbooks, living books, games and toys, videos and documentaries, all sorts of resources

I felt like I had to choose other for all of these.

1. Not for religious reasons, but I don't feel like "academic" sums up at all why I homeschool, even if that's part of it.  It's more about individualization or keeping my kids out of the institution of school or not buying into the traditional path than anything else.

2. I am influenced by a variety of philosophies, including classical.  However, I got my start in education reading the great progressives and the critical theory types.  We are moving toward doing more project, unit study type work but I don't feel that's a philosophy at all.  It's a method.

3. I use some preplanned curricula along with living books, games, and studies and projects that I (or, increasingly, the kids) plan myself.

I think it's hard to fit people into boxes and these boxes didn't fit me at all.

1) For the Freedom. We fit in school around our other pursuits.

2) Currently throw at the wall and see what sticks approach I think? I have styles I learn from that make me a better teacher, but I can't say I fit into one category. I adore WTM, Charlotte Mason, Rudolph Steiner, Maria Montessori plus about 20 other mentors/teachers, because they all have at least one or two things to contribute to the table.

3) We currently use what's in my sig so thats really a mix of more artistic with classical, with basic & textbook. Plus the kids watch a lot of videos and tend to them go off and do project based on the videos. Other than that, the rest of the time they spend outside playing & creating.

I suppose a Summerhill approach is more my thing for philosophy. I don't force a child to do school, they ask for it instead. Whilst I was in the middle of writing this one of them came to me and asked for school and chose math, she's now doing it beside me. I ask a child if they want to do *blah* and they usually respond in the positive. If I do need them to do something, I tell them that and why, and again, they pretty much always are happy to do it. If they aren't, unless I really need it done right then (I don't think I've ever had that situation) then I just try again later after keeping an eye on their mood. I also try not to interrupt them if they are in the middle of something. If I am in the middle of my writing, I hate to be disturbed/pulled out of it, so I have the same respect for their "work" whether its doing a collaborative project, building a sky-high lego building or even turning the loungeroom into mattress central for a game. If they are busy I try to leave them be unless I need them, they in turn give me the same respect. I treat them like equals, and if something needs to be done, I explain it to them (in the case of Eve's injections and refusals to eat, sometimes, yes, that does force me to become the medical authority and last word, but usually she can be talked down as long as I remain calm).

Sorry for the long, drawn out answer. It's very hard to find where I fit into certain boxes, so its easier on me sometimes to write it out and let them other person put me into the box :P

Questions 2 and 3 should allow more than one answer.   

I am an eclectic homeschooler and we are classical in some subjects, CM in others and a few I guess we unschool. 

As for material we use all of the above.

Questions 2 and 3 should allow more than one answer.   

I am an eclectic homeschooler and we are classical in some subjects, CM in others and a few I guess we unschool. 

As for material we use all of the above.

:iagree:

For us it depends on the child as well as the subject for both philosophy and resources. 

Another "other" in all 3 categories.

1. We homeschool primarily for scheduling reasons. My husband's schedule is very difficult to work around. I also value free time and think the school day is too long.

The academic experience/lifestyle is a great perk, and why I love homeschooling. But my husbands schedule is what tipped us into homeschooling.

2. I am influenced by several styles: unschooling/relaxed, a little bit classical, and traditional.

3. I use an eclectic variety of curriculum. All of which I modify. I like the guidance of teacher's guides, but don't actually follow them closely. I also use workbooks, living books, and activities. I "unschool" all subjects except English and math at this point,

Put "other" for my homeschool philosophy because I do a mix.  We use Ambleside Online, which is Charlotte Mason, and maybe you could call us CM because we follow it as much as we need to to implement AO, but we also pull a lot from classical and some general gifted educational philosophy.

We are religious, but HS for academic reasons and with mostly secular materials.

I'm more classical than anything else, but it's my own "spin" on it.

We use a mix of textbooks, workbooks, "living books", lots of literature, the occasional unit study, etc.

These are pretty much my answers as well.

I think only offering 2 options for why people homeschooling is far too narrow.  My husband and I homeschool because we don't believe children belong in institutional settings, because we want to integrate academics with life skills and relationships in better proportion and because we think education should be customizable.

Charlotte Mason is a form of Classical Education.  Did you mean CM vs. Trivium Classical Education? Unit studies can be done with traditional school and various forms of Classical Education.

Some people using Charlotte Mason or a "living books" approach aren't using anything listed in the 3rd question.

I chose "academic experience" for the first question, but the answer is a little more complicated. We ended up trying homeschool "temporarily" when we couldn't find a private school we thought was acceptable for our clearly gifted daughter at a tuition we had the remotest chance of being able to afford.

For "educational philosophy," I had to say "other," because, while I would describe our approach as "classically inspired," we didn't discover TWTM until a few years into the process and tweaked the plan heavily whenever we felt like it.

And I had to say "other" for the third question, too, because we used all of those things from time to time, but mostly I wrote my own curricula using materials I scrounged inexpensively or things I already had on the shelf.

I'm sorry, because I'm sure that all of those "other" answers aren't terribly helpful.