Menu

Where should I take my 16 year old daughter to get her ears pierced?

Prairie~Phlox

I researched this a few months ago and found a lot of people recommending body piercing/tattoo shops where they use a needle rather than the gun-style piercers that are used in malls.

Editing to add: if you don't know which piercing places are reputable and don't have friends or relatives that can offer advice, you might see if your area has a Yelp or Citysearch page with local reviews.

I researched this a few months ago and found a lot of people recommending body piercing/tattoo shops where they use a needle rather than the gun-style piercers that are used in malls.

Editing to add: if you don't know which piercing places are reputable and don't have friends or relatives that can offer advice, you might see if your area has a Yelp or Citysearch page with local reviews.

This. There are a lot of good reasons to choose a body art business. This is the route I'm planning to take with my DD soon.

I'm one of those that believes its best to stay away from places that use a gun.  My DD got hers done at both places.  The first time we did it at a claire's type jewelry store.  The people there aren't trained for long, they use a gun that is impossible to sanitize, and they use cheap earrings made with crappy metal.  My DD got constant infections until we figured out she was sensitive to any metal but surgical steel and 14K+ gold.  :(  

Second time was at a piercing studio.  They did it quickly, the earrings didn't give her an infection. 

I'm one of those that believes its best to stay away from places that use a gun. My DD got hers done at both places. The first time we did it at a claire's type jewelry store. The people there aren't trained for long, they use a gun that is impossible to sanitize, and they use cheap earrings made with crappy metal. My DD got constant infections until we figured out she was sensitive to any metal but surgical steel and 14K+ gold. :(

Second time was at a piercing studio. They did it quickly, the earrings didn't give her an infection.

My dd got her ears pierced at Claire's recently. They used disposable guns. The earrings come ready-to-go each in their own single use gun. The girl put on new gloves, spent a good amount of time marking the holes, and did a nice job. They have stainless, titanium, 14k, and 24k earrings to choose from.

I was skeptical about going to the mall but it ended up being a good experience. I was pleasantly surprised!

Well, I got my ears pierced at the Piercing Pagoda in the mall near my house the day I turned 18 (Mom wouldn't let me pierce my ears until I turned 18).  No issues at all.  Worked like a charm and no infection.

My daughter got her ears pierced at Claire's...well, one ear at first.  The second ear was a long time coming.  She freaked when they did the first ear and she didn't want to get the other ear pierced for about a year.  No issues regarding the piercings or subsequent infection, but we were extremely diligent about keeping the ears clean and I insisted on quality metal for the earrings since our family has a history of various allergies.

I would like to mention, although I don't think this is terribly common, that with the second ear, the skin grew over the back of the earring, but it was hard to see and we didn't realize it until it was close to time to change out her piercing earring with a normal earring.  She could slide new earrings into the original backing very easily but it had become embedded in her actual ear lobe.  The pediatrician was able to remove it quickly and there was virtually no blood.

This. There are a lot of good reasons to choose a body art business. This is the route I'm planning to take with my DD soon.

I'm one of those that believes its best to stay away from places that use a gun.  My DD got hers done at both places.  The first time we did it at a claire's type jewelry store.  The people there aren't trained for long, they use a gun that is impossible to sanitize, and they use cheap earrings made with crappy metal.  My DD got constant infections until we figured out she was sensitive to any metal but surgical steel and 14K+ gold.   :(

Second time was at a piercing studio.  They did it quickly, the earrings didn't give her an infection. 

Dd20 got her's done at Claire's years ago, she still has problems with them getting infected. Her friend says if it happens again, to let it close and then go to a piercing studio.

My dd got her ears pierced at Claire's recently. They used disposable guns. The earrings come ready-to-go each in their own single use gun. The girl put on new gloves, spent a good amount of time marking the holes, and did a nice job. They have stainless, titanium, 14k, and 24k earrings to choose from.

I was skeptical about going to the mall but it ended up being a good experience. I was pleasantly surprised!

I'm glad it worked out for your DD!

I mean lots of people go there so it's not like that place is evil or anything, I just feel its an inferior choice compared to a professional piercing parlour.  We eventually let DD's ears heal, and took her to get pierced properly a few years later.  When she was pierced properly her ears barely even swelled or reddened.  They healed very quickly and she's not had one infection.  It was night and day.       

I just think if you're in a location where you have the option of going to a peircer who does this sort of thing with needles (no blunt force trauma), who is trained to do it, who uses better quality jewelry... why not go there instead.  But in the grand scheme of life its probably not that big of a deal.    

We researched this when College Girl wanted to get her ears pierced last year (at 21!  while doing study abroad!).  She went to a tattoo parlor, they required an appointment and lots of forms, but that might just be their business practice (I only mention that because you want to surprise your dd).  A friend went with her when she had them done - she DID get a bit squeamish and thought she might faint but ended up doing fine.

The tattooist explained things as he went along (huge deal for my dd) and was very sensitive to the fact this was new to HER - though he had lots of tattoos and body piercings himself, he recognized this was her first.

One thing I appreciate is that her holes are evenly centered on both ears.  They gave her a kit to clean the holes which she did.  She has had no problems other than now she buys earrings like there's no tomorrow!!

I got a 3rd hole re-pierced at Claire's with no problem last year.

OP, I really don't know if you or your family would feel comfortable going to a tattoo/piercing shop. So, IMHO, it's perfectly fine to head to the mall and hit up Claire's or the like. It will really be just fine. Follow the instructions on the paper they give you. Your daughter is plenty old enough to handle the after care.

I took DD1 (7 years old) to get hers pierced in December.  We went to a body art studio and had a professional piercer do them, he and his assistant were fantastic with her. I wanted to go to a place that used a sterile, single use needle because they don't cause as much trauma to the ear as a gun.  Much better info on after-care too.

Ds had his pierced with a gun. A week later and they were looking really gunky. I brought him to a tattoo/piercing shop who told me to only use dial soap and it cleared up in a few days.

Over a year later and they still sometimes get stuck/tight to turn, so I'm going to have him repierced with a hollow needle.

Me and dd are also going to be repierced with a needle.

I'd suggest going with a tattoo/piercer since it heals much cleaner and if you have a problem, the piercer will know how to deal with it.

My dd has to use earring backs with those plates on them because her ears "eat" the regular backs.

Claire's may have changed some of their process due to sensitivity to the concerns people have.  I took dd to a tattoo/piercing place because I wanted to know that everything that touched dd was either single use or had been autoclaved. (I watched them run a "piercing pack" through an autoclave cycle--towel, forceps, disposable needle in its own glassine envelope, etc.)

The one caution that I have about a tattoo place is that they may have graphic art on the wall (quite provocative body piercings) or displays of jewelry (in cases) on anatomically correct display "statuary."  I didn't know that, although I had called ahead of time and made our appointment, arranged for a young lady piercer to do dd's ears.   I resorted to asking dd to bury her nose in a magazine while we waited. 

She's now 21 and went to a piercer a couple of weeks ago to have a tiny nose piercing done.  Not my fave thing on her pretty face, but it's her choice.

Tattoo parlor. They are much more experienced with piercings than the teenager at the mall, plus they use a needle rather than the gun, resulting in less pain and a cleaner hole. When my girls wanted to get theirs done, it was my first choice, but in the state I was in they would not have been allowed inside until they were 16, even with parents there!

Honestly, it doesn't matter one bit. The mall places do use single use materials. It is a good idea to spring for the better quality ear rings/you do have to choose them. As far as experience/training goes, the mall stores have so many customers come through in a day it racks up quickly. Chances are good that these employees have more experience than a tattoo parlor just by sheer volume of customers. Tattoo parlor is your choice? Go for it. Nothing wrong with going there. Doctor's office? Personally, I wouldn't want to pay that expense for somethign that can be done so cheaply elsewhere, but hey, why not. Do it yourself at home? Not something I would choose, but if you are making sure things are sterile it has been done for centuries. (Okay, longer than centuries...) More important than the where it is done is aftercare. Almost all problems come from inadequate care at home. Of course, if the place you go doesn't appear to be sanitary, leave.

I also recommend a tattoo/piercing place.  Dd was 6 when she got hers done at our local tattoo business.  Not only do they use a needle, which is less problematic than the blunt gun, but they also use rings instead of studs so that you can clean the wounds much more effectively.  Dd has really sensitive skin so we were set on finding the best possible experience.  The tattoo place was a little scary for a 6yo and the HUGE guy who did the piercing looked a little (OK, a lot) rough, but he was a real sweetie and put dd to ease immediately.  We did have to bring a copy of dd's birth certificate.

I'm glad it worked out for your DD!

I mean lots of people go there so it's not like that place is evil or anything, I just feel its an inferior choice compared to a professional piercing parlour.  We eventually let DD's ears heal, and took her to get pierced properly a few years later.  When she was pierced properly her ears barely even swelled or reddened.  They healed very quickly and she's not had one infection.  It was night and day.       

I just think if you're in a location where you have the option of going to a peircer who does this sort of thing with needles (no blunt force trauma), who is trained to do it, who uses better quality jewelry... why not go there instead.  But in the grand scheme of life its probably not that big of a deal.    

This.

I tried so hard to get a piercing shop to do my dds, but none of the places around us would take them. So we did go to Piercing Pagoda, and they have survived just fine, lol.  But I still wish I had been able to get it done "right".

Since I had a terrible experience with the mall type piercers as a child that resulted in a trip to the emergency room (when we had no insurance!) there's no way I would let a child of mine do it that way.  I'd definitely go to a reputable body piercer/tattoo place.

All four of my girls (and my son!) had their normal ear piercings at a mall, at a Claire's or a Pagoda.  We never had any problems.  My girls were all babies when I had their ears pierced the first time.  At that age, both ears were pierced at the same time (I mean, at the same instant -- one person on one side and one person on the other side).

For cartilage piercing, we went to a beauty salon that specialized in that.

For belly piercing, we went to a tattoo parlor.

I don't know where my girls had their nose piercings done.  We've never had any problems, anywhere.  We have a lot of piercings between us!

I had my dd10's ears pierced in Nov at a Claire's type place. I will admit to not doing any research beyond asking good friends were they had taken their girls. That's how all of mine were done, so I didn't think about there being other options. She did wonderfully. She didn't cry, there was no infection, and I felt like it was clean. She is old enough that she handled all the aftercare. I will probably do more research if she has another one done.

I took my daughter to a local jewelers.  I had called to see who they recommended and they said that they had someone that was licensed to do piercings.  My daughter was shocked that there was so little pain and it went very smoothly.  She has had her ears pierced for almost 4 years with no issues.