Menu

If I hate the song "Happy"...

Janie Grace

...does that make me a grinch?

I can't stand it. Everyone is posting it on FB or emailing it around like it's the most insightful, inspirational song ever. I find it insipid and annoying and I want to scream after 30 seconds of it. If I was, indeed, happy before hearing it, I am no longer afterwards.

Also, a room without a roof would be very cold and wet.

There. Thanks for letting me get that off my chest. Back to my grinchy day.

I just broke down & watched the video on youtube.

<<<ducking>>>

I liked it, lol. It made me happy & I loved the celebrity appearances. I've never heard of this song though & I don't have Facebook, so I can see how it would be annoying if everyone is posting it, sharing it, and making up go-along dances to it. :)

I've had my fill now. I've smiled and can move along.

I love it (and have ever since first hearing it at the drive-in last summer while our family was watching Despicable Me 2). Because happy.

Okay. That makes sense now!!! I had no idea why the minion was in that video!! lol. I guess the other people are the voices from that movie --- all making sense now --- sloooowly :)

• 2 months later...

I saw Pharrell on Saturday Night Live singing this song. My husband walked in and said "who's the teenager?"
Pharrell has been around since I saw in high school.  I am 39.   I have to start using whatever moisturizer he uses.  (And start wearing big hats and being skinny......)

We love the song.

We get up and dance to it. Lots of songs drive me crazy, but not this one. Maybe I just like the simple sentiment, because my life is not simple. It's good to be reminded to have a nice easy thought.

If you do not like the song there YOU are the problem. And YOU are not my friend anymore. :001_smile:

I don't love the song, but I do find myself smiling at the videos that feature local places and faces.

Syracuse University did one: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osMrBj_AWfU

And there's a general one for Syracuse too: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=og80DGs7UiE

Anything to get through the long winter, right?  :lol:

I know how you feel about hating songs others like. Just because this one is about being happy, that doesn't make you a grinch. :)

I like it partly because it's...so happy, but I also can't keep myself from moving to the catchy beat. I feel the same about the Say Hey song.

http://youtu.be/ehu3wy4WkHs

I dislike it less since we've used it in taekwondo and kickboxing. It's *excellent* getting motivated for exercise/kicking!

:iagree:

Just don't listen to it right before bed, because it will invade your dreams. Or keep you awake humming it.

Ask me how I know. ;)

I dislike it less since we've used it in taekwondo and kickboxing.  It's *excellent* getting motivated for exercise/kicking!

I like dancing to this song. It's fun in ds dance class. One of dd's dance teachers taught parents some steps to use with the song and we all had fun. I'm a little surprised that it could be used to hype you up for martial arts. The song actually makes me feel happy; it doesn't make me want to beat/kick a bag hanging from the ceiling. To each his own...