Menu

If you could go anywhere in the US for a couple of weeks in the summer

Amira

Wyoming--Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons.  We live in Atlanta and went there summer-before-last the last week of July.  Yes, it was crowded for Yellowstone, and we planned late, so we did not have a ton of choices on lodging, but "crowded" for Yellowstone is NOTHING when you are used to big city crowds and traffic.  The so-called crowds did not adversely effect us one tiny bit.  Like you, we were sick of the summer heat and wanted somewhere cooler.  Yellowstone fit the bill.  We all enjoyed it (the kids were 8-14 at the time).

Montana. Not the main part of Glacier Park, but maybe the western side. And I'd throw in a few days at a dude ranch, but that's something I love.

Another great July option is the Seattle area. A few days in Seattle, then up to the San Juan Islands for a little sailing and island exploring.

Here is my wish list in order of preference:

Oregon coast

Smoky Mountains

Travel between Maine Coast and New Hampshire. I'd rank this one higher if the water wasn't so cold! I nearly froze my Florida toes off in the Atlantic! :)

I don't know how crowded the first two get in summertime. Usually we travel at off times due to my husband's job. We did go to Boston, Maine, and NH two summers ago during the week of July 4, and it didn't seem impossibly busy. We are city folks, though, so our definition of crowded may be different than yours.

Maine! Especially if you stayed over Independence Day--lots of blueberry pie.

Acadia National Park/Bar Harbor (will be crowded over the 4th)

Orono Bogwalk (on the way between Acadia and Baxter--to break up the ride)
Baxter State Park

Popham Beach * * * * (there is a little private island campground you can stay at if you make reservations soon) and Fort Popham

Reid State Park

Rockport

Boothbay Harbor (Maine Aquarium, Tall Ships, Sidewalk Art Shows, Little Train for kids), 
Rockland (Rockland Museum of Art)
Camden (Mt. Battie, Red's Eats, Merryspring Nature Center)

Ogunquit

This magazine's website might be helpful.

http://www.downeast.com

We head back home for a couple of weeks in the summer.  Where was home?  Quite near the Thousand Island region of the US/Canada.

The temps are usually in the 70s or 80s, it's still quite rural, so not many crowds (not so many know about the area to vacation there).  The St Lawrence River is the prettiest blue you will EVER see in a river - esp on a sunny day.  There's camping, fishing, scuba, beaches (fresh water, so no salt scum afterward or jellyfish), hiking, some local lighthouses, castles, and museums and day trips to the Adirondacks (Lake Placid to check out Olympic training venues or oodles of smaller lake communities) or various spots in Canada (Brockville, Kingston, Ottawa) are easy.  Oh, and the islands?  There are far more than 1000 of them... all in the river.

http://www.thousandislands.com/

It's one of our favorite places to go - and not just for the nostalgia of growing up there.

So, OP, what sounds good to you?

I am loving this thread--we are so lucky to live in a country with this much variety!

Yes, this has been fun to read, and I was hoping to get great responses like this.

I've been to most of the places people have suggested in the western US and we were in Wisconsin last summer for a few weeks, and I'd probably like to go someplace new. We really like staying in yurts (then I can pretend I'm in Kyrgyzstan, at least a little), so I might see if we can find one in Maine or Alaska. The Thousand Islands sound lovely too. And Kauai...

I wouldn't normally choose July for this trip, but another situation makes it necessary, so we're stuck with the timing if this is going to happen.

What are you looking for?  A place to stay for a few weeks?  A few weeks to travel around a general location?  Beaches?  City Life?  Museums?  Nature?  Amusement parks?

West Michigan up to northern Michigan then to Mackinaw City and Mackinac Island and then through the UP to pictured rocks, Whitefish Bay, etc. would be a nice trip and not too hot that time of year.

Love this thread!  There are so many beautiful parts of this country... for July, if you don't love HOT, my top two picks would be coastal Maine, which we try to get to every summer and I will never tire of;

or the Upper Peninsula of Michigan - a few years ago my extended family rented a couple of RVs and drove around without particular plans.  We pulled into one drop-dead lakeside state park campsite after another, eating whitefish and collecting geodes as we went.  NO ONE WAS THERE.  Just.gorgeous.

If I only based it on where I've been, then I'd say:  Northern Minnesota or the Pocono Mts. in Pennsylvania.  If it were one week, I might say San Diego or Catalina Island, even Chicago or NYC.  But if it's a two-week stretch I'd rather have it a relaxing place in a non-city setting.  Northern Minnesota is beautiful, either on Lake Superior or on a smaller lake.  I'd get a little cabin.

We did spend a summer once in the Pocono Mts. and loved it.  It had a whole different feel to it than Northern Minnesota, but it was really beautiful.