Menu

Boy, we really ARE snow wimps!

Chris in VA

I'm thrilled the Feds are closed today because of the forecast for 6-10 inches of snow. I get the day off!

But it does make me laugh as I ponder what the rest of the country is saying about us being "snow wimps" in this area.

Just think what it'd be like if the Federal Government had stayed in Philly or New York...

Happy Snow Day, fellow DMVs!

Yeah, well I'm in New Jersey and a bunch of the schools in the area are already posting early closings.  A few are closed completely. 

Dh's partners have cancelled a meeting for this morning so he's staying home and we gave the nanny the day off. 

I still get to go into work but maybe I'll get off early if we really get hit the way they are saying. :glare: I think I'll take the Suburban instead of the Honda Accord this morning just in case.

Although it sounds to me like tomorrow morning is when we have to worry about. The snow is not supposed to stop until early morning, maybe as late as 6am, and it's supposed to be very windy and cold so the roads are going to stay crappy.

I know this winter has been bad so far, but people are acting like we haven't had snow in decades and they've completely forgotten how to deal with it.

A couple of weeks ago, our public schools went on a two-hour delay two days in a row because it was COLD. No precipitation forecast. I kid you not.

I've heard of that in a few places.  If I recall correctly, they are places that it just doesn't typically get cold, so the concern was that kids would not own appropriate clothing to be out in it, walking to school, waiting for the bus, etc.

I live in the Philly suburbs and I'm cancelling my kids' allergy shots for today.  I have little experience driving in snow so I'd rather not be out in it unnecessarily and with my kids.  A friend of mine snarks about people who don't know how to drive in snow but she is from northern Canada and has lots of experience.  We don't even get snow here every year - how are people supposed to learn to drive in snow if they rarely get snow?  :rolleyes: ;)   So yeah, count me as a snow wimp.

A couple of weeks ago, our public schools went on a two-hour delay two days in a row because it was COLD. No precipitation forecast. I kid you not.

Ours actually closed for both days but then again our high temperatures those days were about -15 degrees with windchills of -40 to -50.  Frankly I'm glad the schools chose to close.  My husband opted to work from home and we didn't even go outside to get the mail.  While I think school/work is important, it's not really worth the risk of frostbite to send someone out in those kind of temperatures. 

Today it's a balmy -4 and all schools are open.

I think it's ridiculous the schools closed. I think think they could have started on time and then done an early closing this afternoon. 

I wonder if the Federal government closed because every school system in a 50 mile radius closed. That's an awful lot of employees who would be scrambling for childcare. 

I think it's ridiculous the schools closed. I think think they could have started on time and then done an early closing this afternoon. 

I wonder if the Federal government closed because every school system in a 50 mile radius closed. That's an awful lot of employees who would be scrambling for childcare. 

Ours actually closed for both days but then again our high temperatures those days were about -15 degrees with windchills of -40 to -50.  Frankly I'm glad the schools chose to close.  My husband opted to work from home and we didn't even go outside to get the mail.  While I think school/work is important, it's not really worth the risk of frostbite to send someone out in those kind of temperatures. 

Today it's a balmy -4 and all schools are open.

It was a little colder than usual here those days, but NOWHERE NEAR what you're talking about. We weren't braving frostbite temps. And it had only warmed about 3 or 4 degrees by the time they actually did go to school, so I'm not really sure what was accomplished.

Yeah, in VA here too.  The school closed because it was a high of 18.  And today schools are closed because of a predicted 2-4 inches starting around noon.

Admittedly, they dont plow here.  My mom came to visit once, and it snowed - like 6 inches.  She borrowed a shovel at the hotel desk and shoveled out her car, and then started calling me every 2 hours to ask if my neighborhood had been plowed yet.  No, they dont plow.  She didnt believe me.  I've been told that its the south, and god decides when to give us snow, and god decides when to take it away.  Ok, they do plow the big streets.  

Also, people wont go outside if its below 50 degrees.  No park days, no nothing.  

Anyone who closes schools for the weather is a wimp in comparison to some places. Once while living in Kyrgyzstan dh mentioned schools closing for snow and people thought he was crazy (and Kyrgyzstan isn't warm and cozy in the winter). Schools in Moscow, Russia, never close despite huge snowfalls and very cold temperatures.

I don't think it's wimpy to close schools, but it can be smart. Everyone in our town in Kyrgyzstan knew they'd be going to school no matter what and people were prepared for it, so it wasn't a problem to keep the schools open. When we lived in Seattle, they closed the entire city when it threatened to snow, and that was often smart because of all the problems just a little snow causes there. It's not so much about how much snow there is or how cold it is, but about expectations and preparation. It doesn't seem reasonable to expect everyone everywhere to be prepared for relatively rare weather events.

I shoveled  from 4:30 to 6:15 this morning. Everything is completely clear -- driveway, walkways and sidewalks. Soon, I'm going to go rake the snow off parts of my roof. I love shoveling snow! I'm pretty sure my neighbors think I'm crazy. LOL.

Regarding closings, it's better to be safe than sorry. My son's high school recently closed for two days due to the cold because the administrators were worried about the dilapidated boilers breaking down. If schools close early unexpectedly, then in our area that means some 4,000+ high school students have to get home safely. This happened a year ago when our area flooded. The kids were in school for a few hours but had to be dismissed early because the high school was flooding. Many of the roads and all of the underpasses were also flooding and it was extremely difficult just finding safe ways to get to the school to pick up the kids. 

We were reading Farmer Boy the last little while before bed. A couple nights ago we were reading about them out working, getting ice when it was -40. A couple chapters before that they had been walking to school in that sort of weather. My oldest looked at me and said, "This is the US right? Cause don't they shut school down now when it gets cold?" I kinda chuckled.

To be honest though, my kids aren't sent outside at that temperature anymore. I barely go outside when it's that cold. If I lived in an area where it was rare, I think I would cease to function. Those cold temps are hard.

As for snow, a couple months ago we were driving through Omaha while it was snowing and we had to finally just pull over and stop for the night. The roads were fine, but people were crazy. You could tell they weren't used to it and it was dangerous driving around them like that. Too much speed and then slamming on brakes when the snow blows is a good way to have someone run right into the back of you.

Anyway, enjoy your snow day! Go tobogganing!

Yes, those of us in Utah, do indeed think you all are a bunch of wimps. :D  Or at least your decision makers are.  There is no such thing as  "snow day" out here.  And all Utah kids walk to school unless they live more than 2 miles from the building.  So, yeah...you all need to suck it up a bit. ;)

I'm from the Rockies, and yes, I laugh at how the Middle Atlantic handles cold and snow.  The only time work/school was ever cancelled where I came from was when it snowed 3-4 feet in a few hours.  That they couldn't deal with.  But then they were open the next day, and on we went.  And I remember going to work in below zero weather with the wind.  I parked my car, and ran to the building.  Big deal.

The cold closures here cracked me up, but a teacher friend noted that the families of some of her students don't buy heavy winter gear for their children because they can't afford to do that every year when the kids keep growing.  Some years you don't need it, so they don't buy it.  I can see that I guess, but the colleges closed too.  By then you should have some way of dealing with heavy cold IMHO.  One of my DC's local classes was cancelled for cold.  Those kids are driven to class, and dropped off at the door.  Did we really need to cancel?

But everything is cancelled again today.  We'll see.

Anyone who closes schools for the weather is a wimp in comparison to some places. Once while living in Kyrgyzstan dh mentioned schools closing for snow and people thought he was crazy (and Kyrgyzstan isn't warm and cozy in the winter). Schools in Moscow, Russia, never close despite huge snowfalls and very cold temperatures.

I don't think it's wimpy to close schools, but it can be smart. Everyone in our town in Kyrgyzstan knew they'd be going to school no matter what and people were prepared for it, so it wasn't a problem to keep the schools open. When we lived in Seattle, they closed the entire city when it threatened to snow, and that was often smart because of all the problems just a little snow causes there. It's not so much about how much snow there is or how cold it is, but about expectations and preparation. It doesn't seem reasonable to expect everyone everywhere to be prepared for relatively rare weather events.

The problem is that it has changed over the years in my area.  I grew up here in the DC area.  We would never get off school for predicted snow.  They might send us home early because it would start by afternoon... but they wouldn't close the schools because it *might* happen.  Also, it seems like the gov't used to maintain the roads a lot more efficiently than they do now..  It used to be they would plow throughout the storm.  Now, unless it's a major road they don't plow until the storm is over.  We just had a plow go past my home - with it's plow up.  Granted there's wasn't much on the street- but still, the road was completely covered.  What would be the harm of taking care of it now (I live on a hill too)?  Why do a drive-through??  It doesn't make sense.  The guy's being paid...why not put the plow down?  Strange.

A couple of years ago we were surprised by a snowstorm that hit in the late afternoon.  There were stories of people being stuck in traffic for 4-6hrs (or worse!).  I'd never heard of that when I was growing up. I noticed that after the last very bad storm about 4-5yrs ago that the plowing jobs were very sketchy and not well plowed.  Yes, it was a very bad storm - but I'm talking a week after the storm some of the plow jobs were really poorly done and the road was unsafe. 

Just musing on a comment upthread about places that don't plow.  I'm not complaining about the poster's comment (which is why I'm not quoting it.)  But I thought, in places where snow is a rare occurrence, would there even be plows?  And wouldn't people complain about their town/county/whatever entity spending money on plows that were only needed two days per year, or less?    That's hard on people who have to get out and have no experience driving in snow, but I can imagine it would be hard to justify that expense.     

Just musing on a comment upthread about places that don't plow.  I'm not complaining about the poster's comment (which is why I'm not quoting it.)  But I thought, in places where snow is a rare occurrence, would there even be plows?  And wouldn't people complain about their town/county/whatever entity spending money on plows that were only needed two days per year, or less?    That's hard on people who have to get out and have no experience driving in snow, but I can imagine it would be hard to justify that expense.     

Up here getting 5' or more of snow is not unusual and there are still towns that don't plow. let the snow pack under the cars is what they're approach is. It's nasty and there aren't a lot of them but it does tend to show that it's not a necessity.

I've lived in a few places where there was lots of snow and they didn't plow. And in more places where they only plowed main roads (a snowplow went down my parents' street once while I was growing up, although I think they plow more often now).

I was always fine with everything closing in Seattle because they just couldn't deal with it, and the hills were awful, especially with people who had almost no experience driving in snow. There were always arguments about how much to spend on snow removal in Seattle, but it's awfully expensive to have the entire city close for a week because of a major snow event.

I grew up in a snowy place and now live in the snow-panicked mid-Atlantic. My first reaction was that it is wimpiness, but I've changed my opinion. First of all, the logistics of moving SO MANY people in the snow adds an element of risk that those in less populated areas don't fully grasp. Snow equipment gets little use here, so there's not a lot of time to get used to it. There are jobs here. This attracts a younger population of drivers who might only have one or two chances to 'get used to' driving in the snow and the D.C. or Baltimore beltways are not a good place to learn. People don't drive a lot of pick-up trucks here. It's overkill to add 4WD to your car payment when you might use it twice a year. It's cheaper to take liberal leave and stay home. There ARE snow days built into the school calendar. Most years they don't use them at all, but you might as well take a snow day and be safe since that day was never going to be in the school year anyway. Finally, not everyone has a real winter coat. This seems like an oversight, but I bought coats that fit my kids for YEARS and they've NEVER worn them or only worn them once. Even when it's cold it generally doesn't get much below freezing, so purchasing expensive sub-zero gear that sees use twice a decade is not a reasonable expense . . . . especially considering nothing is open when it's that cold.

It's not wimpiness to not be adjusted to climate conditions that you see a handful of times in a decade. Better to err on the side of safety and travel when the roads are clear. There's just no such thing as chains on school busses around here.

Right, I understand that they dont own as many plows and such as they did in PA when I was growing up.  Also, the people dont own snow tires, chains, or even all-weather probably.  I get annoyed by it simply because its not what feels like 'home'.  I want to move north, but dh doesnt want to make any changes until the kids are done with school . . . because i've told him I have plans.  YOu know, community college for the teen, and going back to public school for the younger, and its a good school system.  But he has promised we'll retire to canada (he's canadian).  adn i'm quite sure that, after decades of living in VA and complaining about the heat, I'll be old and decrepit and complaining about the cold.  I'm such a whiner . . . lol

It's not wimpiness to not be adjusted to climate conditions that you see a handful of times in a decade.

:iagree:

I find all these "wimpy because of x kind of weather posts" really tedious.

No, those of us in the south aren't used to lots of snow or really cold weather.  That doesn't mean we're wimps.  It means our way of dealing with it works best for us.

And on the flip side -- When it gets to be all of 95 for two days in the summer and folks in colder climes are complaining and going on and on about the heat wave I try (really, I do) to resist mentally rolling my eyes.  'Cause let's face it, they're neither used to the heat/humidity like those of us in the south are, nor do most people in cooler climates have the massive A/C units that those of us here have.

There is no wimpiness in doing what one needs to do to deal with unusual weather conditions.

We were reading Farmer Boy the last little while before bed. A couple nights ago we were reading about them out working, getting ice when it was -40. A couple chapters before that they had been walking to school in that sort of weather. My oldest looked at me and said, "This is the US right? Cause don't they shut school down now when it gets cold?" I kinda chuckled.

To be honest though, my kids aren't sent outside at that temperature anymore. I barely go outside when it's that cold. If I lived in an area where it was rare, I think I would cease to function. Those cold temps are hard.

As for snow, a couple months ago we were driving through Omaha while it was snowing and we had to finally just pull over and stop for the night. The roads were fine, but people were crazy. You could tell they weren't used to it and it was dangerous driving around them like that. Too much speed and then slamming on brakes when the snow blows is a good way to have someone run right into the back of you.

Anyway, enjoy your snow day! Go tobogganing!

I grew up not far from where Almanzo grew up (fun to visit the homestead/museum!) and it did occasionally get that cold when I was child, but no longer. And my town didn't have buses so we almost never got the day off from school. I remember school closings and it was always due to a phenomenal amount of snow. I did have to walk in the cold. Now I live a bit further south and this school district has buses so they close the schools quite often. That is more to do with liability than safety. I swear they close for 4 inches.

The main roads around here get salted and possibly plowed, but not the side roads. Noone here has snow tires or chains. My dh gets a kick out of going out in his big 4wd truck when it's icy and snowy and rescuing people. There's also the jokers who want to ride the brakes going downhill on a hilly road and can't get up the next hill, blocking traffic for miles. Here we tend to get more ice than snow.

:iagree:

I find all these "wimpy because of x kind of weather posts" really tedious.

No, those of us in the south aren't used to lots of snow or really cold weather.  That doesn't mean we're wimps.  It means our way of dealing with it works best for us.

And on the flip side -- When it gets to be all of 95 for two days in the summer and folks in colder climes are complaining and going on and on about the heat wave I try (really, I do) to resist mentally rolling my eyes.  'Cause let's face it, they're neither used to the heat/humidity like those of us in the south are, nor do most people in cooler climates have the massive A/C units that those of us here have.

There is no wimpiness in doing what one needs to do to deal with unusual weather conditions.

I love this!

Here, very few people have cold weather gear. My kids don't own snow boots, or coats and gloves heavy enough to endure zero degrees with below zero windchills. My dh, myself and my older kids have some cold weather stuff, but not nearly enough to deal with it every day for months.

Farming, cold weather is really hard on us. Just getting drinkable water to the animals is a huge chore. My milker freezes up if it's below 10. My barn's not heated. Most of our animals have to stay outdoors all winter. Most years it isn't a problem.

Our schools are closed (in VA here, too), and while I don't have an issue with closing for unseasonable cold (the kids don't have clothes for that kind of cold, I get it) ... today I have to kind of giggle.  It's snowing.  But it's not sticking to the roads here at all. And it's almost time that school would be out for the day.  Maybe another part of our county is slippery, but here in our town... The roads are wet only.  I'm surprised, but, hey, who's complaining?  :)

I barely go outside in the summer around here - but it did crack me up when we went to canada in the summer, and one of my SIL's was complaining that its been so cool (and i was very happy about that).  2 days later it was up to 80 - she was shocked that, just weeding her flower bed, she started sweating.  THEN i laughed.  

I grew up in VA and now live in Massachusetts. The reason for cancellations is for safety and to clear the roads as quickly as possible. When activities and schools are not cancelled, they cannot plow the streets or the parking lots for schools, govt. buildings etc. 

Schools cancel instead of early dismissal because they don't want school buses caught in snowstorms. There have been a few days when they did not cancel and thought they could beat the storms. Instead the buses ended up in snowstorms and going home took 2 hours. There have been many days when commuters took 3 hours to get home when it should have been 1/2 hour. I have been caught in such storms and it was only about 4 inches of snow. But the visibility was bad. We have the same issue every winter - to cancel or not. But in the end it's about safety. 

So many drivers drive in snow like they can drive on a hot summer day. They tailgate, go 65 on the highway, run stop signs, etc. It's easier to not go out if you don't have to. 

I was debating about taking my daughter to ballet at 4:45 today. It's 15 miles up the road. Now it's snowing hard and it's getting dark. I think the ride home at 6 will be very long. So we aren't going. 

So after I posted, my family went to the mall. It was open and we could hike home if necessary. It's less than two miles, but DS would become DH's ruck sack. Getting there was a piece of cake. Coming home around 4 was a bit dicey. Wet snow is sticking everywhere. Cars are sliding. Folks are going too slow to make it up the next hill (and we don't really have hills). We resorted to a slight snake pattern to get up a small incline. Everyone behind us copied and went around the folks in front who got stuck. Roads have been plowed and the snow is heavy and wet. We got great service at the mall since there were so few shoppers, but I can't in good conscience recommend the excursion to anyone else.

I'm in VA.  In my area, the schools close at the slightest hint of weather because many of the school bus routes in the various counties are in the mountains.

I'm embarrassed because I didn't go in to work today, expecting bad weather.  Other than short bursts of flurries (which then melted), it really wasn't bad at all.  :(

I'm from Colorado, and it did take a lot more there to shut everything down.  But I lived in big metro areas along the Front Range. It's different here.

We never close for snow or cold. The kids don't go out for recess if it's -25 or lower.

7g9ZUFM.jpg

At the school I work at, the kids don't go out if it is any colder than +25F!  Totally laughable to me, who grew up in Eastern Canada.

By the way - beautiful picture!

A few weeks ago we were expecting a severe snow/ice storm.  I was just innocently doing my normal Saturday  shopping and ran into the snow-panic crowds.  I had one of my dc with me so we elected to do the self-serve lane as it was busy but not as backed up as the normal check-outs.  I  heard the older lady behind me complaining bitterly about the crowds and proclaim as she looked at my cart, "If I'd known that everyone would be here stocking up on milk and bread I would never have come".  LIttle did she know that the four loaves of bread and five gallons of milk in my cart was just my normal shopping for the week - LOL!  It did make me self-conscience about shopping that day.