Menu

Thoughts on this gift

itsheresomewhere

Pretend you are a little girl who has a pink easy bake oven on your list.  You have asked for one for 2 years.  You love cooking with mommy.  

Based on the reviews of the easy bake, Mommy thinks it is not the best idea but is willing to try it.  Mommy is also thinking about getting a toaster oven instead.   A toaster oven with different pans and tools would be the same cost as the easy bake.

What would you get?

I think this is one of those "personality will matter" situations.

My son would've been fine; he's practical and prefers 'real' to 'kiddie' stuff. My daughter would have been happy, but not super excited. For her there's just something about the kid-stuff-that-feels-all-my-own that appeals to her. She'd prefer the Easy Bake even if it were more limiting.

And actually, I learned this by trying to do just what you are talking about doing.  She tried very hard to be excited about the toaster oven, and was as gracious about receiving it.  She tried hard to hold back her tears and felt guilty being unhappy.  She just really wanted the Easy Bake, even if the toaster oven I got her was better and more practical.  We traded it in.  It was her 7th birthday.

ETA: you posted her age while I was typing my post.  How funny, same age, same girl, same wish-two-years-running!

That is really hard. I would have a very hard time buying the Easy Bake.

Do you think she really wants to learn to bake or is it more about playing?

I use my toaster oven A LOT for cooking and baking. I can envision lots of great baking that could be done with the toaster oven.

On the other hand, I have a DD who never asks for anything. She told me for Christmas she would like some new black leggings (uh, ok). So if *my* DD said she wanted something like that I would buy it for her.

AMDG

Sorry, I'd go with the easy bake oven.  However, I'd only provide a couple of packets of cake mix and make more of my own put in pretty decorated jars/tins.

I made the mix and put some in ziplock bags that were already decorated and some in small mason jars with fabric b/t the lid and ring and a ribbon around the lid.  

That is really hard. I would have a very hard time buying the Easy Bake.

Do you think she really wants to learn to bake or is it more about playing?

I use my toaster oven A LOT for cooking and baking. I can envision lots of great baking that could be done with the toaster oven.

On the other hand, I have a DD who never asks for anything. She told me for Christmas she would like some new black leggings (uh, ok). So if *my* DD said she wanted something like that I would buy it for her.

She loves helping in the kitchen.  She helps me bake often.  We take a toaster oven camping with us and she sees what we can do with it that is why I was considering it.  

AMDG

Sorry, I'd go with the easy bake oven.  However, I'd only provide a couple of packets of cake mix and make more of my own put in pretty decorated jars/tins.

I made the mix and put some in ziplock bags that were already decorated and some in small mason jars with fabric b/t the lid and ring and a ribbon around the lid.  

We would not be buying any of the nasty mixes.   We would make our own.  

I would get the EBO--- even though it will only be used a few times--- Just one of those "stars in the eyes" lessons they have to learn and if you do the smart thing, she will bring it up in therapy when she is older.

BTW-- I don't know if they are still around, but the single serve cakes  they sell for microwaves are good replacement cakes and cheaper than the "real EBO" stuff.  (just don't use the plastic pans) and I would suggest a long extension cord if you will be using this on a table--- we tripped over the cord so many times I banned the EBO from the house.

have you looked for easy bake ovens as thrift stores?  i see them for $5 bucks all the time.  Most of the time you can tell they are barely used.  It may be worth it to hunt a little because paying full price if you'd rather just get a toaster oven.  I know as a child I would have been disappointed with a toaster oven, even with the explanation that it could do even more.  But I never actually wanted an easy bake oven.  Even as an adult I get annoyed when I ask for something very specific and someone thinks something else will be just as good or even better. 

My dd has/had (don't know if I ever got rid of it) an easy bake oven.  She used it exactly once to make the brownie that came with the machine.  After the ridiculously long cooking time, she tried a bite and threw the rest away.  I would go the route of a real toaster oven with bonus points if it is pink.

Oh, the EZ Bake Oven, for sure. My kids helped bake and cook from an early age, but they still wanted one, and they loved that overpriced piece of crap. No, they did not use it often (I did not encourage it, lol), but they had fun with it, loved having it, and it took me years to get that danged thing out of the house  :lol:

have you looked for easy bake ovens as thrift stores?  i see them for $5 bucks all the time.  Most of the time you can tell they are barely used.  It may be worth it to hunt a little because paying full price if you'd rather just get a toaster oven.  I know as a child I would have been disappointed with a toaster oven, even with the explanation that it could do even more.  But I never actually wanted an easy bake oven.  Even as an adult I get annoyed when I ask for something very specific and someone thinks something else will be just as good or even better. 

Thrift stores around here have such high mark-ups its not funny.  Currently, a used one is 35-40 and a new easy bake oven is 35-40.

Thrift stores around here have such high mark-ups its not funny. Currently, a used one is 35-40 and a new easy bake oven is 35-40.

If you can get a new one for $40 then I would do that. I didn't know how much they cost and based on amazon, I thought they were $75.

$35-40 isn't so bad and maybe in a few years you can give it away and make some other little girl very happy. :)

My DD had been baking with me since she was 2 years old, so I was surprised when she wanted an Easy Bake Oven when she was 7, for her birthday.  I thought it was a big waste of money because who would want that thing when she could bake in a real kitchen with real kitchen stuff.

We got it for her anyway, and she loved it, so it was worth it.  There are lots of EBO recipes online, so I stopped buying the mixes.

Guest submarines

Pink easy bake.

I couldn't bring myself to get it for DD, so I get where you are coming from. I have to say that I do have some regrets. There will be plenty of time for a toaster oven.

Guest submarines

What about a toaster oven from a thrift store? There are also small inexpensive models, and she can have both.

Honestly. 

I would just put the choice infront of the kid and ask them which they would prefer.

Yeah, that's what I would do, too -- and I would fully expect that she would still choose the Easy Bake oven. :)

My feeling is that, unless they want something potentially dangerous or extremely age-inappropriate, you buy kids the gifts they want, not the ones you want them to have.

One of my best Christmas memories was getting an Easy Bake oven from my grandma on Christmas day.  My cousin helped me bake up tasty treats.  I was about 8.  I still remember that day and that experience, and I am almost 47.  Get the Easy Bake.  Your 7 year old has her whole life to cook with a boring toaster oven.  ;)

Just another option, but what about those babycakes thingies? They have mini-cupcake ones, the cake pop ones, and doughnut ones. You could show her those, the hello kitty toaster oven, and an easy bake and ask her to rank them by preference.

*I saw the cake pop babycakes baker advertised for $19 at a BigLots. Then you could get her decorating supplies too.

ETA: They are pink, purple or yellow depending on which you get.

I understand where you are coming from!  I remember being unimpressed with the EZ-Bake oven one of my friends got for her birthday.  I thought I was cool and special because my mom let me bake "for real" and even use the real oven (with much supervision).  I let my oldest daughter start "baking" (also with much supervision and guidance) as soon as she was old enough to stand on a stool at the counter and dump pre-measured ingredients into the bowl.  She now acknowledges that she knows she didn't really make daddy's birthday cake when she was not yet three but that she remembers feeling so special.  I'm glad I could give her that, like my mom gave me and I've taken a similar approach with her younger sisters. Actually she has even taken a similar approach with her younger sisters (my three year old made the best angel food cake for mother's day this past May with a little help from her big sister).  So far I've also made it through without any of my kids wanting the EZ-Bake Oven and I admit that the request would give me pause. However, if it seemed to be the one thing they really wanted (especially if they had asked/hinted once and I'd missed the message so they hinted at the next potential gift opportunity), then I believe I would take a few gulps and buy the oven.  I think unless your daughter is excited by the other options people have suggested you should buy her the EZ-Bake Oven.