Menu

Bah humbug! These are a few of our least fav things!

Murphy101

Christmas Shoes

Mary, Did You Know?

Dirty Santa exchanges

tacky Christmas sweater contests

cheapest ornament usually regifted exchanges

Requirement to hand make something to exchange

The phrase "it's only $5/$10" Heard in just about every email/text/convo about yet another must do Christmas event.

Bell ringers (yep. I said it.)

The Sound of Music

Okay. What do you want to add?

This could be another fun thread!

I don't like the things that you don't like, and will add...

Long lines in the stores.

Knowing that flu season and Christmas shopping season often overlap.

When I have to give a gift to someone I don't know.

When I have to buy a gift for someone's child and when I ask the mom for suggestions, am told that, "he'll like anything you get him." No. No, he won't. Give me a hint!!!

Holiday traffic near the malls.

When people come bearing gifts and forget to take off their shoes.

Kidding! I kid!

When you put up the 3yo prelit tree you've had stored upright with a cover all year in the garage and the entire top half of the tree is blown out.

Candy canes sucked down into dangerous weapons.

I'm sure there's more, but I just finished reading the other thread and I'm exhausted

ETA: YES! Thank you Heather. Taking down decorations. I'm not even so sure I like putting them up anymore. The time between up and down seems shorter every year.

Trying to cram more toys into our house when the kids have too much already.  We teach them to take good care of what they have, but then that means that things don't break and there isn't a good reason to get rid of the treasured items.

I don't like the Christmas Address list I write in my head every year but don't do in reality so I have to scrap together addresses every single year.

Trying to figure out what to give as gifts. If I was a millionaire, Christmas shopping would be so much more fun!

Adding to my list: Mandatory gift giving in general

I actually really enjoy seeing something, thinking soandso might like it, and being able to get it for them if we can afford it. But for me, that doesn't happen seasonally. I can't schedule it. Dh and I do not exchange gifts for this reason and I doubt we would even if we bc very wealthy.

When I have to buy a gift for someone's child and when I ask the mom for suggestions, am told that, "he'll like anything you get him." No. No, he won't. Give me a hint!!!

Holiday traffic near the malls.

Ack! I think I've pulled this a time or two :P Translated it means, "I don't have any earthly idea. I don't even know know what I'M going to give him."

Tinsel. Tacky as all get out but the kids love it.

Ugh. Nothing says ghost of Christmas past like this reminding me of the year the cat got tinsel lodged in her intestines. That free barn cat has cost us over $1200 in intestinal surgeries over the 5 years we've had her. Should have bought a miniature goat instead.

How has it taken 15 posts for this to come up? I can't believe none of us posted it!

Cause that doesn't belong in the Christmas file.

It belongs in the creepy as all get out stalker clown phobias file.

To be cross referenced with "things this generation will discuss with their adult therapist" file.

Not being able to watch my dad sing in the Warrenton Chorale this year...

Being stuck in a hotel, unable to make our favorite treats & foods when we gather with new friends and having to bring some nasty frozen thing...or Oreos.

Not knowing if we'll be in our house for Christmas...or New Year's

Missing friends and family back home.

[quote name="Catwoman" post="5346460" timestamp="

When someone asks, but then gives your child something totally wrong for the kid. DD has a friend who, for the last two birthdays, has ended up giving her something that is just plain not a good fit-because her father steps in and decides what HE thinks is appropriate for a little girl. So, you end up with my struggles with fine motor coordination child getting craft kits with a 12+ age label or a Barbie doll when she hates dolls (except for Kaya).

most wreaths

the TBD on DD's basketball practice calendar on Dec. 30 and 31 (seriously?! the coach better not penalize DD for missing it)

Christmas Shoes

Santa Baby

parents who go crazy with the santa/Elf on the Shelf thing and freak out when the kid starts asking questions and refuse to confess, even if the kid is 12

peanut brittle

Decorating in general.  I feel like I can barely keep my house clean without a bunch of extra crap sitting around.  But my kids really love it, so decorate we do.

Holiday traffic in the way of my grocery shopping/library trips.

My MIL coming with a literal roomful of gifts for my children.  She texted my dh a pic of her guest bedroom filled with wrapped presents.  I have been selling toys like crazy to clean out for visit.

My general over commitment problem.  I wish I could just say no to your event, but I am compelled by something inside to say yes.

Battery-powered stuffed animals that play Christmas music

The copyright issues that keep Muppet Family Christmas from airing on TV or being sold on DVD ever again

The edited-for-TV version of Christmas Vacation

Obsession with Christmas traditions

People who owe you money saying they don't have the funds because they had to "buy Christmas stuff"

All of those White Elephant or "bring 5 $1 item" gift exchange games

People using the "but it's a Christmas song" excuse to play country music in my house

It's a Wonderful Life...even though I do like you Jimmy Stewart, I can be depressed around Christmas on my own time. It would be better in Technicolor, too, just sayin'.

All the Christmas decor carp we have to take out and put away again. Just more work.

The gifts I have to think of and buy for people who are not my kids. "You have either your own parents or a credit card of your own. Got get your own stuff." There I said it.

The Sound of music...... Can't stand the original and watched a whopping 5 mins of the new live version and caught on real quick that it was neither improved or any better than the last.

Extended family and their increasing demands. You haven't see us all year, haven't spoken to us since last year's phone call, why do you call asking if we are attending the family gathering in a couple of hours? (We live a couple of hours away)

All the work related parties/events/gifts...... Seriously?

Mandatory gift giving

Black Friday

The relentless "You Can't Have REAL Christmas Without _____!!!" push from everywhere, especially retail stores

More turkey. We're still eating Thanksgiving leftovers. 

Being expected to eat every nasty storebought cookie/cake that people bring in for work. (I'm spoiled, both my mother and godmother are/were expert bakers. Storebought stuff tastes like cardboard to me.)

Traffic/traveling

Still trying to figure out what a Dirty Santa exchange is....not sure I want to know.

The first time I heard that phrase I thought it was in preference to the office guy who dresses as Santa and has grown women sitting on his lap. (Ick!)

It's a "game" when you purposely bring a lame gift to exchange, then someone else in the exchange can take it from you if they like it better than what they got. It's a reference to playing a dirty trick. So very in the spirit of Christmas, yes? :/

Christmas songs that are only Christmas songs by virtue of the fact that they happen to have the word "Christmas" in them. Like that awful 80's song about the guy meeting his old lover in the grocery store on Christmas Eve and sitting in his car drinking beer with her. Nothing about that song says Christmas!

Also Christmas songs that are so badly written they have to resort to exploiting a sad situation just to evoke an emotional response. Like "Christmas Shoes." :ack2:

Ugh. Nothing says ghost of Christmas past like this reminding me of the year the cat got tinsel lodged in her intestines. That free barn cat has cost us over $1200 in intestinal surgeries over the 5 years we've had her. Should have bought a miniature goat instead.

Ha! I used to be a vet-tech, and one of the most memorable surgeries I assisted in was a weiner-dog with a gut stuffed full of tinsel.  Gross and fascinating at the same time!

I just hate everything about the whole gosh darned holiday; except the birth of Christ thing, that's pretty nice.

*snort*. That is me! I have said my whole life, I'd be perfectly happy to skip the holiday entirely and go straight to Easter. Now Easter I LOVE. If I had my druthers, I'd go freaking wackado at Easter. I'd decorate, need Easter baskets big enough that a grown an could fall into it and stand up, make yummiest goodies, get dressed up, listen to Easter music starting the day after valentines day (why isn't there Easter music?!) - you name it.

Christmas songs that are only Christmas songs by virtue of the fact that they happen to have the word "Christmas" in them. Like that awful 80's song about the guy meeting his old lover in the grocery store on Christmas Eve and sitting in his car drinking beer with her. Nothing about that song says Christmas!

Also Christmas songs that are so badly written they have to resort to exploiting a sad situation just to evoke an emotional response. Like "Christmas Shoes." :ack2:

I hate that sad, depressing 80's song!

Last year after the hundredth hearing of "Baby, It's Cold Outside" (which in my mind is not really a Christmas song either), my then six year old looked at me and said, "I don't understand, why doesn't she just run away?"   :lol:

Oh, I thought of something else!  All my TV shows go on hiatus until after the holidays to make way for all this cheesy "star studded" holiday specials.  I'd much rather watch Castle and the Blacklist than a parade of semi has beens belting out Christmas songs.  

I agree!!  I hate how all my shows won't be new again until January.  I don't want to wait and I can't stand most Christmas specials and movies.  Blech.

24 hour Christmas music on half the radio stations.  There are only so many songs and I don't need to hear 37 different versions of The Christmas Song or  White Christmas.  BTW, Bing Crosby is the only one allowed to sing White Christmas.  Period.

We have one station that has been non-stop Christmas music since Halloween.  Way too long and annoying since it used to be one of the few stations that actually played music during rush hour instead of non-stop traffic, weather and commercials.

Hearing about "The War on Christmas/Christians"

Yep.  My facebook is blowing up with the "It's Merry CHRISTmas, not Happy Holidays" stuff, which was really great when it was the middle of Hanukkah.

I heard that song on the radio (Same Auld Lang Syn by Dan Folgelberg BTW) and said the same thing to dh - why is this considered a holiday song?  I figured it was the Auld Lang Syn part of it.  You know - New Years.  I actually like the song but don't think it should be played so much at Christmas.

I HATE the Christmas Shoes song.  Too emotional and sappy.

Facebook/email forwards bashing the subsitution of "Happy Holidays" for "Merry Christmas." Frankly I'm thrilled that American corporations whose only goal is to dig as deeply into our pockets as possible aren't promoting celebrating the birth of the Christ Child at the checkout.

That same holiday dinner, only substituting ham for turkey.

Oreo Balls. My kids want them every year. Yuck, I say!

I hate that sad, depressing 80's song!

Last year after the hundredth hearing of "Baby, It's Cold Outside" (which in my mind is not really a Christmas song either), my then six year old looked at me and said, "I don't understand, why doesn't she just run away?"   :lol:

My kids call that The Date Rape Song. I cannot stand it...we all scream and leap for the radio dial if it comes on. 

My daughter has totally missed the Elf on a Shelf thing---her response to it this evening when I told her about it was, "Don't blink!" :D

I'm with lots of you:

Christmas Shoes and other songs of that ilk

mandatory gifting (though we've cut way back on the list in the last several years)

Dirty Santa, especially with my family. We finally bowed out of that a few years ago and now wash dishes instead while it goes on.

running the gauntlet of Salvation Army folks at every store (to be fair, I don't care for the Boy Scout popcorn gauntlet or the Girl Scout cookie gauntlet either and my daughter is a Girl Scout)

pressure to do Operation Convert Poor Children with Toys (better known as Operation Christmas Child). IMO true charity should not have strings like that attached.

"War on Christmas" --really, Fox News, how big a war can it be when you have to resort to calling things like only being allowed to put up displays on public property for 2 weeks instead of an entire month or asking a Salvation Army person to use a somewhat smaller bell persecution?

Totally full schedule, then getting sick and missing the couple of things you *really* wanted to attend

The amount of time we spend in the car in order to see both sides of the family on each holiday. We are fortunate that we live close enough to do so, but the several hours in the car over the course of the day gets old.

ETA: I find it hilarious that one of the 25 or so incidents from *across the nation* (wow, 25....) which Fox cites as evidence of the " war on Christmas" is the NYPD asking bars not to serve alcohol to attendees of the "SantaCon" pub crawl this year due to the huge number of attendees in previous years being drunk and disorderly, urinating and vomiting in the street, vandalizing property, etc. Yes, not allowing people to act like something out of "Animal House" on neighborhood streets just because they are wearing Santa hats is one of the examples of an "attack on the right to celebrate Christmas" and one of the "challenges to religious freedom."

Being attacked by salespeople while walking through the mall

Not being able to take my own pictures when we go see Santa.  Seriously, I want a picture of them talking to Santa, not staring at a camera.

Traffic

People who want me to fawn over their attempts to go through the motions of Christmas

Realizing that I have forgotten one important thing and have to go shopping again.

Office holiday parties

People who see me walk to my car with three kiddos and get frustrated it takes me so long to get out of my parking space.