Menu

Would you go to the movies alone? Church? Restaurant?

mytwomonkeys

Just curious. Would you go out alone?

Personally I would and have. It doesn't bother me a bit! I love the movies and usually go with my husband and kids (occasionally with friends), but there have been times I've gone completely alone and it was great! I can also eat alone. It's not my ideal, but no biggie at all to me. My least favorite is going to church alone, but I've been doing it so long now I'm just used to it.

My best friend and I were just talking. She is bored in Atlanta & I suggested a movie. She was horrified at the thought of going alone. She thinks I'm crazy for going out by myself. I say who cares. I'm fun! lol

So what says the hive?

I wouldn't have a problem with any of those.  

I like to go out to eat alone - with a book for company.  I haven't gone to see a movie alone in a long time but don't see that as a big deal either.  The only thing that would bother me about going to church alone is if it was indicative of a rift in our family - not the fact that I was going alone.  

I've done all but movies alone. I would, though. It wouldn't bother me at all. I'm just not a big fan of spending money on a movie out unless I'm seeing it with somebody and the togetherness is the point. But I've eaten out alone many times, uncountable times. I also went to church alone for a few years before dh became interested in going also. 

It's not unusual, though, for people to regard this as a *don't*. I remember reading a magazine article about going to eat alone. The author describes continuous fears that people are judging her as friendless, even to where she thought a woman was looking at her inexpensive watch and concluding that she was friendless and poor. So, I guess it's not rare to think that way. 

I'm out on my own nearly every morning, exploring or sightseeing, or poking around street markets finding new ingredients. I don't go to movies or real restaurants much on my own or with anyone else, but I get street food all the time when I'm by myself. It wouldn't bother me at all to go to church alone, although I don't think I've ever done it.

If I had to find someone who wanted to do the same things I do in order to go out, I think I'd usually be stuck at home. It's so pleasant to be able to choose what I want to do.

I have eaten alone. That sounds heavenly right now...

I have not gone to church alone but I would if I were a church-going person.

I have not gone to the movies alone but I would if there were something only I wanted to see. DH won't go alone and I think he's a little nuts. It's not like you chat during the movie! What difference does it make if there's someone you know in the dark, quiet theater with whom you are having no interaction?

Thank you. I will be glad to tell her I am indeed not crazy (or not alone in my craziness!)

I have backpacked through Wales and England alone before (although I made friends at the youth hostels). I've traveled to Spain & Morocco before (although that trip I stayed with a host family that I set up prior - but I didn't know them). I've run races alone. Volunteered alone for various organizations. It's all the same to me.

No one even talks in the movies! so I don't see suggesting that as strange. :)

I'm weird.  My answer is no.  I don't feel comfortable going to places like that alone.  If I am eating alone and want to get something out, I go through the drive-through.  Watching movies is more fun with at least one other person.  If my daughter and I ever find a church we really like, I might consider going alone if need be, but that hasn't come up yet.  Can you tell I am a major introvert?

I have done all three by myself.  In fact, I rather enjoy going to the movies alone, I just haven't had any time in the last couple of years.   I went to church alone when I was making the switch to Orthodoxy and then went alone with the kids for many years afterwards. 

The funny thing is the only one of those three I don't really enjoy doing alone is eating out.  I feel like everyone is watching me.  It's hard to read a book and eat at the same time too.  

I've considered going camping by myself, but I think that might be more of a safety issue.  I probably won't ever do it.

but, I like being alone.

Do you think this is usually assumed when a woman is in church without her husband? Just curious.

Oh no.  That isn't what I meant.  I guess some might assume it but I wouldn't personally and wouldn't worry about others assuming it.  Since we all go to church together then everyone else would have to be sick (at which point I'd probably stay home to take care of them) or I would be traveling by myself, in which case it wouldn't bother me.  If neither of those scenarios were the case then it would mean that dh and I were at odds about attending church and that would bother me!  

Done it before and I have no problem with it. I'd go to a movie alone if I really wanted to see it and DH really didn't. I wouldn't think twice about eating at a restaurant alone if I wanted to eat out and didn't have anyone with me. I would go alone to church if it were important to me but no one else in the family wanted to. I really don't see anything the least bit awkward about any of this. If someone sees me and makes assumptions about my life based on lack of companionship at a given moment in time, that's their problem.

Do you think this is usually assumed when a woman is in church without her husband? Just curious.

I hope not. I sit alone every.single.week!

My husband serves at another campus in another town. Our church is big and most people don't know that I belong to him or vice versa. I just look like the lonely lady, lol. My daughter sits with her friends on the opposite side of the church. My son is in class. I just sit there awkward and hate the hand shaking bit. Otherwise, I don't mind the alone bit!!

When I was first going to church and went without dh, one lady did ask me, "Where is your husband?" I was very tempted to say, "In prison." Very tempted. I thought it was none of her bloody business and wasn't pleased she asked. 

I'm weird.  My answer is no.  I don't feel comfortable going to places like that alone.  If I am eating alone and want to get something out, I go through the drive-through.  Watching movies is more fun with at least one other person.  If my daughter and I ever find a church we really like, I might consider going alone if need be, but that hasn't come up yet.  Can you tell I am a major introvert?

I'm a major introvert and conclude that that is why I'm very comfortable going alone.  :laugh:

Two vacations I've taken that I most enjoyed were where I took one child with me and nobody else. I freakin loved it! Made my own schedule, no debating about whether this activity was too expensive, or not good for all family members or whatever. Spent part of the days just chillin at the hotel reading my Kindle. Loved it. 

It's silly and really a small thing, but one of the small sadnesses of my life is that DH hates to watch movies in a theater. I love, adore, neeeed to go to the movies. And he haaaaates it. He'll watch them at home so he can get up and putter around in the middle of the movie if he has to (adhd), but he rarely agrees to go to movies in theaters. I used to beg him to go, which distressed us both. Usually he would stand his ground and not go and I'd be so hurt. I finally gave up about 5 years into the marriage.

I go to the movies alone pretty much every time I go. It's been this way for 21 years. Until recently! DS11 is finally old enough to go to some movies with me that aren't little kid movies. I take him to the PG13 movies that aren't too bad for an 11 yo, like the Avenger movies. I can't even begin to tell you how happy this makes me. Someone to go to the movies with!

My MIL goes with me to rom-com movies. I love her for that.

I would certainly go to church alone. I've gone alone from time to time if my family can't go with me (sick or something.) If they wouldn't go with me, then I'd go alone.

I have eaten in restaurants alone. I bring a book and enjoy myself immensely.

I have no problem doing things alone. I go to restaurants alone quite often if I'm out and about running errands (not a fast food fan), and I've gone to church alone. I haven't been to the movies alone, and, at this point, probably never would just because the theaters are in BR, and the crime has gotten bad enough there that I try not to go there alone much at all.

I have gone to the movies alone and would gladly do so again. It's lovely. I have eaten alone, usually with a book, but I prefer to take my meal to a park or find some out of place area where it's quiet to eat. After all, if I'm lucky enough to be eating undisturbed, I want to be truly undisturbed. I probably wouldn't go to church alone, not because it would feel strange, but because I wouldn't go to church at all if I didn't have kids.

I've gone to see a movie alone. Like, really alone. Back when the first Lord of the Rings movies came out, DH and I took turns going to see the first one. One stayed home with the baby, the other went. When it was my turn, it had already been out awhile, and I went to see it on a Sunday at noon. I was the only person in the whole theater. Creeped me out a bit, so I ended up sitting in the way back row, against the wall. I would have been fine if there had been a few other people there!

Erica in OR

I love going to the movies alone! I have fond memories of seeing the first few Harry Potter movies that way--the kids were babes and dh would watch them to let me get out for awhile. I went to church alone as a teenager and liked that. I think my current church would pay me too much attention, but I loved it when I could just almost anonymously enjoy the liturgy and sermon. Eating out alone in a nice restaurant might bother me, but it would be fine in the usual places we frequent, as long as I have a book!

(does my introversion show too much???)

When I used to go to church, I actually liked going alone because I didn't have to worry about the kids acting up.

I have gone to restaurants by myself but I don't really enjoy it. I don't mind going to a movie by myself, but I'm too cheep to want to go often.

Mostly I really like to go shopping by myself.

I go to the movies alone almost every week, sometimes more than once. It's my mental break.

I've been to church without dh most Sundays as he's often gone for work.

I've eaten out alone but it's not something I enjoy. I do take the kids to sit down restaurants without dh and have since they were 2 and 3.

I've done church and a movie alone. I've eaten inside fast food places alone, but never an actual restaurant. It bothers me.

I'll modify my answer a little. I'd have no issue with going to a casual restaurant alone, but I can't think of many circumstances where I'd be likely to go to a fancier restaurant alone. The more of a date/occasion restaurant it is, the stranger it would seem.

I've done all three, I don't particularly enjoy going to a movie alone, but I'll do it.  I never ate at a real restaurant on my own before my husband pointed out that men do it all the time.  Sure enough, just about anytime I go to a restaurant now, especially at lunch, I'll see a man there alone, but I rarely see women alone.  My husband spent the first 6 years of our marriage out of town a lot.  If I didn't like doing things alone, I'd have gone crazy. 

Does your friend live in Atlanta or is she just visiting?  If she lives there maybe a movie isn't her thing but she might be able to find an exercise class, a craft class or book club to help her meet people.

Movies: No, but only because I prefer watching movies at home............

Church: Yes, if dh is ill or out of town, I'd go without him.

Restaurants: Yes, if I need a bite while out & about, or when traveling, but not just for pleasure.

Yes, I have done all three. If I go out to eat alone I usually take my planner or a book so I don't sit there like a dork and inadvertently stare at people. I get lost in thought and don't realize I'm actually staring at someone instead of off into space. Staring at a page is easier. 

I've done all three. I haven't done the "date with myself" at a fancy restaurant yet because that's not how I spend my money right now, but it's on my bucket list and for some reason it sounds a lot cooler when I imagine my 60ish-70ish self doing it than it does now.

I'd personally pass on an unfamiliar church because Christianity didn't work out for me, but ITA that there's nothing wrong with it and to try a different church if it's important to your friend and her old church makes her feel awkward or judged.