Menu

So, let me get this straight, Tom Cruise

Mrs Mungo

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2013/11/08/tom-cruise-my-work-as-actor-is-as-hard-as-fighting-in-afghanistan/

You believe your experiences on a movie set are just like this guy's experiences in Afghanistan?

http://www.npr.org/2013/11/09/244000145/severely-burned-marine-finds-strength-in-nascent-marriage?utm_content=socialflow&utm_campaign=nprfacebook&utm_source=npr&utm_medium=facebook

1. You are filthy rich. You could choose never to do a movie again. You could choose never to do a movie outside of the US, if you wanted.

2. You are a power player with tons of star power. You don't think they would agree to let you charter a plane home on the weekends or once a month, if you demanded it?

3. You are ridiculous. You are a complete and utter crazy narcissist.

He is an  absolute jerk, and a complete idiot, for even thinking that, to say nothing of saying it out loud. It is like comparing a Watermelon and a Grape...   I saw this on my Facebook and had words there that were not for polite company about  him.

Today, in Lubbock, at the Football game between Texas Tech and Kansas State, there will be more than 400 Purple Heart recipients in attendance. They are heroes. Tom Cruise is not a hero. He is an idiot and a jerk.

why is anyone surprised?  he said some pretty nasty things when brooke shield spoke out in 2005 about her experience with post-partum depression after the birth of her first child.  tommy boy - whose children with Nicole kidman were all adopted, made his own statements about treating it with vitamins and nothing else.

I recently had to analyze an ad for my English class. I chose one featuring Katie Holmes (post Cruise). I kept thinking, good for you girl. Good for you for being rid of him. 

I really think he has a mental disorder on top of the delusions of grandeur. It's kind of sad. 

It's been interesting to study some of the stars his age, the stars of my youth. I really thought Robert Downey Jr would be dead, Tom Cruise would have obtained Redford/Newman status, and that Meg Ryan would always be cute and perky. Or that the world would revolve around how we might be connected to Kevin Bacon. 

Also I think he said this stuff about Afghanistan in regards to something about custody of Suri.   Yeah, not going to gain any sympathy that way dude.  

I often have wondered how much of it is just him and what if any is the Scientology.   He made some weird comments about if you are in a car wreck, that you would want him to come along, for some mysterious reason.    

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2013/11/08/tom-cruise-my-work-as-actor-is-as-hard-as-fighting-in-afghanistan/

You believe your experiences on a movie set are just like this guy's experiences in Afghanistan?

http://www.npr.org/2013/11/09/244000145/severely-burned-marine-finds-strength-in-nascent-marriage?utm_content=socialflow&utm_campaign=nprfacebook&utm_source=npr&utm_medium=facebook

1. You are filthy rich. You could choose never to do a movie again. You could choose never to do a movie outside of the US, if you wanted.

2. You are a power player with tons of star power. You don't think they would agree to let you charter a plane home on the weekends or once a month, if you demanded it?

Basically, he's an @$$. 

Tom Cruise and Charlie Sheen should share a padded room. They'd spend their days trying to one up each other.

During this interview, did his handlers pop out for a smoke or something?

This wasn't an interview. It was a deposition in court.

A magazine ran a story about him abandoning Suri because he only saw her for ten days in the five months or so after Katie dumped him. He sued the magazine for defamation. His claim is that his job takes him away, just like soldiers. But, he went on vacation with friends, attended a Scientology conference, etc in the same time frame. And those are just the events there are public photos of.

I recently had to analyze an ad for my English class. I chose one featuring Katie Holmes (post Cruise). I kept thinking, good for you girl. Good for you for being rid of him. 

what impressed me most is that she totally blindsided and outmanourvered him.  he had no clue, and she had to have made all the necessary arrangements under the noses of his body guards while pretending to be the devoted wife.  he had no clue.  score big time to katie.  guess who the better actor was in that family?  he just has a cheesy smile.

This wasn't an interview. It was a deposition in court.

A magazine ran a story about him abandoning Suri because he only saw her for ten days in the five months or so after Katie dumped him. He sued the magazine for defamation. His claim is that his job takes him away, just like soldiers. But, he went on vacation with friends, attended a Scientology conference, etc in the same time frame. And those are just the events there are public photos of.

Still would not be defamation...the facts are that he only saw her for ten days in the five months after he got dumped. It's ALL about HIM. Suri is better without NPD in her life. 

This is the ad I analyzed (got an A+ on the essay - happy dance!). If you truly read the connotations, it's like a big finger flip to Mr. Cruise. "Katie Holmes is pretty powerful..."  The way she's wearing a white work shirt with the sleeves rolled up. It really shows that she's back, ready to work, and doesn't need a man to "help" her along. I've never been a huge fan of Katie Holmes, yet she has impressed me with how she is bouncing back, at least in her celebrity. 

reg_1024.KatieHolmes.BobbiBrown.mh.02191

I wouldn't normally say this, but I hope he "goes to war" making a lot more movies where he will be kept busy and out of Suri's life.  Again - most of the time I would be all for kids getting as much of their daddy as they can get after divorce (unless there was abuse) but he seems so NPD and just not healthy for her.  (The "goes to war" is in quotes because I think it is a ridiculous and demeaning comparison.)

Basically, he's an @$$. 

Tom Cruise and Charlie Sheen should share a padded room. They'd spend their days trying to one up each other.

Charlies Sheen is more than an @ss, but ...side note... did you see the report that his ex-wife submitted journaling all of the time that he spends with his children (it's quite impressive for a non-custodial big-time actor)? More than that, how many people can spend that much time with their ex without killing them (which, thankfully, he/she did not)? That's the only thing that I have seen from him in years that has ever impressed me.

Yep, Janie Grace's link shows the actual transcript that those words were taken from.

The comments come in a section of the deposition where Cruise is being asked about time he has spent away from daughter Suri, either because of film or other commitments.

"Now your counsel has publicly equated your absence from Suri for these extended periods of time as being analogous to someone fighting in Afghanistan," opposing counsel asks him. "Are you aware of that?"

"I didn't hear the Afghanistan," Cruise replies. "That's what it feels like and certainly on this last movie it was brutal. it was brutal."

"Do you believe that the situations are the same?" Cruise is asked.

"Oh come on," Cruise says, "you know, we're making a movie."

Cruise's attorney, Bert Fields, tells CNN in a statement, "Headlines stating he equated his job with those in the military are demonstrably false. They are a distortion of what is provable and on the record."

"Tom is a staunch supporter of our troops and does not feel that making a movie is even remotely comparable to fighting in Afghanistan and said so in plain English," Fields said.

He is one actor whose jackassery really ruins my enjoyment of his movies.  I just won't see anything with him because I know I won't like his little smarmy face. 

I can no longer watch any of his or Mel Gibson's movies. Not even the older ones I used to like before they showed their true selves.

"Now your counsel has publicly equated your absence from Suri for these extended periods of time as being analogous to someone fighting in Afghanistan," opposing counsel asks him. "Are you aware of that?"

"I didn't hear the Afghanistan," Cruise replies. "That's what it feels like and certainly on this last movie it was brutal. it was brutal."

I think he IS stating exactly what I said he did. He believes that being absent from his daughter for 5 months is just like a soldier being absent from his child(ren). Never mind the fact that it IS just making a movie or that most soldiers don't have Tom Cruise's financial resources.

When he was filming Top Gun, he told the Navy fighter pilots in Pensacola that they were doing what they were doing because they couldn't do what he was doing.  I was told this by people who were there. He is an arrogant arse.

I think he IS stating exactly what I said he did. He believes that being absent from his daughter for 5 months is just like a soldier being absent from his child(ren). Never mind the fact that it IS just making a movie or that most soldiers don't have Tom Cruise's financial resources.

Anyone whose work commitments take them away from being with their children experiences the effects of that separation (as do their children). People don't stop feeling human emotions and loss just because they are rich. Most people on film-shoots are not mega-wealthy, and they miss their children just the way people that work on oil pipelines do, or the way people who are deployed do.

Bill

Anyone whose work commitments takes them away from being with their children experiences the effects of that separation (as do their children). People don't stop feeling human emotions and loss just because they are rich. Most people on film-shoots are not mega-wealthy, and they miss their children just the way people that work on oil pipelines do, or the way people who are deployed do.

Bill

I agree. It does look like Cruise's lawyer was the one that initially used the Afghanistan comparison.

He could have used a half dozen other occupations that require long absences from home and family to make his point, but he chose to go for one that would invoke maximum sympathy and set his client up to step in it. (And let's be real, Tom Cruise rarely needs help stepping in it.)

I think the part that is offensive in his actual words is the implication that he had no choice in not seeing his child while shooting. There are plenty of high profile actors who manage to shoot films AND see thier families. Being able to afford the people to handle logistics and transportation to and from location is one of the luxuries money can buy. Joe Blow working on the pipeline or random soldier deployed does not have that opportunity.

And the whole point of this lawsuit is that they stated he "abandoned" his child.

I am no great fan of Tom Cruise, but he did not abandon his child.

She is well cared for and I am sure he contributed A LOT of money towards her care.  He states that he spoke with her frequently.

He no more abandoned her than a military parent does-- or even one of the parents who send their child to boarding school does.

He may be an @$$, but he did not abandon that child.

I have a feeling that his ex-wife wanted a little distance from him to create some normalcy in that child's life.

and thinking about how they were so snarky about him missing her first day of school--- really how many dads miss the first day of school?

And if he had shown up-- what a circus it would have caused--- a nightmare for the school, the streets and the child.

Then people would say he was "milking" it.

I agree. It does look like Cruise's lawyer was the one that initially used the Afghanistan comparison.

He could have used a half dozen other occupations that require long a senses from home and family to make his point, but he chose to go for one that would invoke maximum sympathy and set his client up to step in it. (And let's be real, Tom Cruise rarely needs help stepping in it.)

I think the part that is offensive in his acctually words is the implication that he had no choice in not seeing his child while shooting. There are plenty of high profile actors who manage to shoot films AND see thier families. Being able to afford the people to handle logistics and transportation to and from location is one of the luxuries money can buy. Joe Blow working on the pipeline or random soldier deployed does not have that opportunity.

He was also in the middle of an acrimonious divorce where his soon to be ex-wife wanted to seperate the child from him (in fact that seems like the main purpose of the divorce).

I don't like Tom Cruise (to put it mildly) but I understand the time demands put n an action film star who also produces his films, and needs to promote recently released films, work on a current film, and work on staging the next production.

I am not sure people fully appreciate the amount of stress that puts on a person. It is easy to scoff at the rich pamper actor, but I think if people fully understood the reality of how much pressure is on a person in his position they might be less quick to judge. Tom Cruise is not wrong about that. That is the reality of making big-budget movies. People on those crews make sacrifices. Most miss a great deal of family time when they go on location. It is a tough part of the business.

Bill

I am not sure people fully appreciate the amount of stress that puts on a person. It is easy to scoff at the rich pamper actor, but I think if people fully understood the reality of how much pressure is on a person in his position they might be less quick to judge. Tom Cruise is not wrong about that. That is the reality of making big-budget movies. People on those crews make sacrifices. Most miss a great deal of family time when they go on location. It is a tough part of the business.

Bill

But it's just a movie.

I hate Fox news. They make up stories and get people all riled up, but they're LYING about the stories. I detest being manipulated and made to look like a fool. Fox news does that. I used to read their stories, get riled up and upset, only to find out that they tricked me, making me look foolish to people who had heard more of the story.

I hate Fox news for breaching the trust their audience has in them and making us look silly overreacting rubes.

Tom Cruise did NOT do what they said he did. I think Cruise is looney, but he didn't do this one.

I hate Fox news. They make up stories and get people all riled up, 

ah - just like nbc and their selective edits, or cbs and their "wrong" facts.  (currently, 60minutes is in an apology phase.  won't even get into dan.  dear old dan.)

I don't watch any of them anymore. 

I don't like Tom Cruise (to put it mildly) but I understand the time demands put n an action film star who also produces his films, and needs to promote recently released films, work on a current film, and work on staging the next production.

Honestly, you are making my point. Military life carries with it extreme amounts of mental and physical stress that FAR outweigh any pressure from a studio to have a successful film.

My husband works 12-15 hour days when he is home. We once received a survey asking how many months he had been away from home in the past 36 months. We calculated he had been done 20 of them between deployment, field exercises, schools, etc. Whether at home or deployed, he is usually responsible for the welfare of hundreds of other people.

I have attended dozens of funerals of people killed on duty (or who lost the battle long after they left the war zone).

My husband has NEVER been able to leave a war zone to take his kids to Disney, go on vacation with friends or attend a religious conference.

There is no basis for comparison. Making movies may pose some challenges, but they are hardly "brutal," especially in comparison with the financial compensation. And someone in that financial position could certainly find something else to keep him busy in order to mitigate time away from his family.

Honestly, you are making my point. Military life carries with it extreme amounts of mental and physical stress that FAR outweigh any pressure from a studio to have a successful film.

My husband works 12-15 hour days when he is home. We once received a survey asking how many months he had been away from home in the past 36 months. We calculated he had been done 20 of them between deployment, field exercises, schools, etc. Whether at home or deployed, he is usually responsible for the welfare of hundreds of other people.

I have attended dozens of funerals of people killed on duty (or who lost the battle long after they left the war zone).

My husband has NEVER been able to leave a war zone to take his kids to Disney, go on vacation with friends or attend a religious conference.

There is no basis for comparison. Making movies may pose some challenges, but they are hardly "brutal," especially in comparison with the financial compensation. And someone in that financial position could certainly find something else to keep him busy in order to mitigate time away from his family.

But you ( and FOX News) are making an arguement that Tom Cruise didn't. It is dishonest in the extreme. He never said he faced the kinds of dangers that combat forces do, he was the one who scoffed that off saying it is "only a movie."

That doesn't there are not many occupations that seperate parents from their children. That has to be difficult for any parent who loves their child. That is true for soldiers as well as people working on film sets.

The man can be a jerk, but he never said what you are accusing him of saying. You are in the wrong here, not Tom Cruise.

Bill