Menu

So, let me get this straight, Tom Cruise

Mrs Mungo

this was supposedly started by his lawyer (and he didn't have the sense to distance himself from his lawyer) - it's the fact he went a number of other places during the same time (with paparazzi photos to prove it) that were NOT filming.  so, it wasn't like he was working non-stop and couldn't take a break - he took breaks.  somewhere else.

this was supposedly started by his lawyer (and he didn't have the sense to distance himself from his lawyer) - it's the fact he went a number of other places during the same time (with paparazzi photos to prove it) that were NOT filming. so, it wasn't like he was working non-stop and couldn't take a break - he took breaks. somewhere else.

He fulfilled contractual obligations to promote completed film projects. That is the man's job. He was fulfilling an obligation. He also made a quick visit to a religious meeting that was important to him. I know Scientology gets no respect in the general public, but this is his faith (like it or not). I don't think someone would be dumped on the same way had he made a sprint to see the Pope.

Bill

But you ( and FOX News) are making an arguement that Tom Cruise didn't. It is dishonest in the extreme. He never said he faced the kinds of dangers that combat forces do, he was the one who scoffed that off saying it is "only a movie."

I disagree with you. He answered the question by saying, "that's what I feels like," and went on to say it was "brutal."

http://m.nydailynews.com/1.1511177#bmb=1

He also said:

“There is difficult physical stamina and preparation. Sometimes I’ve spent months, a year, and sometimes two years preparing for a single film. A sprinter for the Olympics, they only have to run two races a day, when I’m shooting, I could potentially have to run 30, 40 races a day, day after day.â€

He IS comparing his job to these other high intensity occupations, despite the afterthought denial of doing so.

That doesn't there are not many occupations that seperate parents from their children. That has to be difficult for any parent who loves their child. That is true for soldiers as well as people working on film sets.

I am not talking about a grip making a union rate electrician's pay. I am talking about someone with infinitely more resources. To deny he had more choices and options than that is downright delusional.

He fulfilled contractual obligations to promote completed film projects. That is the man's job. He was fulfilling an obligation.

This is not the case from what I read.

He also made a quick visit to a religious meeting that was important to him. I know Scientology gets no respect in the general public, but this is his faith (like it or not). I don't think someone would be dumped on the same way had he made a sprint to see the Pope.

If he took a quick trip to receive an award from the Pope while not seeing his daughter for 5 months, I think it would be perceived similarly.

I disagree with you. He answered the question by saying, "that's what I feels like," and went on to say it was "brutal."

http://m.nydailynews.com/1.1511177#bmb=1

He also said:

“There is difficult physical stamina and preparation. Sometimes I’ve spent months, a year, and sometimes two years preparing for a single film. A sprinter for the Olympics, they only have to run two races a day, when I’m shooting, I could potentially have to run 30, 40 races a day, day after day.â€

He IS comparing his job to these other high intensity occupations, despite the afterthought denial of doing so.

I am not talking about a grip making a union rate electrician's pay. I am talking about someone with infinitely more resources. To deny he had more choices and options than that is downright delusional.

Tom Cruise has a high intensity occupation. You don't wish to acknowledge this, but to produce and star in big-budget Hollywood action pictures on location takes an incredible amount of focus, drive, and energy. His job is not like being a Union grip (and Union grips can work hard too).

Tom Cruise never claimed he was in a position of danger that was anagalous to combat troops.

He has choices. He can either work, or not work. But if he is going to work, and take leading roles in action films while working as a producer on the films at the same time, it takes incredible endurance and committment. The hours are way longer than you can imagine, and the responsibilities are great.

Yes, Tom Cruise gets paid well. Should we throw rocks at him for that?

The man's work took him away from his daughter for almost 3 months during a bitter divorce, and while he was off working. Does that make him a monster? Don't think so. Do people resent him for making a lot of money? I guess so. But I imagine he still misses his child.

People do what they need to do to support their families and have a life. Some work on pipelines or oil-rigs, some are in the merchant marine, some are in the armed forces, some make movies on location. All these take people away from their children. I can't imagine it is easy for any parent who loves their child to be separated from them. Being rich does not make a person a non-human.

Bill

Tom Cruise has a high intensity occupation. You don't wish to acknowledge this, but to produce and star in big-budget Hollywood action pictures on location takes an incredible amount of focus, drive, and energy. His job is not like being a Union grip (and Union grips can work hard too).

My husband's job is nothing like being a union grip either. He has been on call 24/7 for nearly 20 years, with anywhere from 200 to 5,000 under his personal responsibility. He jumps out of planes. He gets shot at with real bullets. THAT is a high intensity job in my world.

Tom Cruise never claimed he was in a position of danger that was anagalous to combat troops.

I am talking about his comments about the brutality of the work and the mental and physical stamina required. THOSE are the comments I disagree with and find annoying.

He has choices. He can either work, or not work. But if he is going to work, and take leading roles in action films while working as a producer on the films at the same time, it takes incredible endurance and committment. The hours are way longer than you can imagine, and the responsibilities are great.

If he can get away for other things, then he could get away to see his daughter. He has resources that allow it. He could take fewer jobs instead of doing back to back movies. He has more choices in this regard that your average person.

Yes, Tom Cruise gets paid well. Should we throw rocks at him for that?

I am saying that his compensation is such that he has resources to make different choices than he did. Arguing in court that he had no choice because his work took him away is dishonest.

People do what they need to do to support their families and have a life. Some work on pipelines or oil-rigs, some are in the merchant marine, some are in the armed forces, some make movies on location. All these take people away from their children. I can't imagine it is easy for any parent who loves their child to be separated from them. Being rich does not make a person a non-human.

Who *here* said he doesn't miss his child or that he is non-human? Nobody. I disagree with his assessment that his job in any way compares to being in the military or to being an Olympian. His job does NOT entail that level of mental or physical stamina, despite his claims.

My husband's job is nothing like being a union grip either. He has been on call 24/7 for nearly 20 years, with anywhere from 200 to 5,000 under his personal responsibility. He jumps out of planes. He gets shot at with real bullets. THAT is a high intensity job in my world.

So? Who is arguing with you? If your husband, due to his job obligations, was away from you for 110 days I think people would be sympathetic to him and sympathetic to your family. No one would be excoriating him for "adandoning his family," right?

I am talking about his comments about the brutality of the work and the mental and physical stamina required. THOSE are the comments I disagree with and find annoying.

You may find it annoying, but I think you are clueless about the demands Tom Cruise has in his job. I do not like the man. But the work ethic it takes to do his job is something I admire.

If he can get away for other things, then he could get away to see his daughter. He has resources that allow it. He could take fewer jobs instead of doing back to back movies. He has more choices in this regard that your average person.

The man was in the middle of a bitter divorce with a woman who (understandably) wanted to keep away from him. I don't think you have any conception of what it takes in terms of time to do his job.

I am saying that his compensation is such that he has resources to make different choices than he did. Arguing in court that he had no choice because his work took him away is dishonest.

The one thing no one can buy is time. When you're on location producing a film, and staring in the film, and trying to promote completed films, and in pre-production for the next films, "time" is a very precious commodity. Have you ever been on a location film set? I wonder if you have any idea how hard someone in Tom Cruise's position has to work (if he's going to work)?

Who *here* said he doesn't miss his child or that he is non-human? Nobody. I disagree with his assessment that his job in any way compares to being in the military or to being an Olympian. His job does NOT entail that level of mental or physical stamina, despite his claims.

It compares in terms of being "away." Any job that obligates a person to be away from his or her family cases problems of separation. Why only be sympathetic to some people? Seems really small to me. Divorces are hard enough on families, without the false accusations. It seems like he always spent time with his wife and child prior to the divorce. Sometime that involved bring the family to the set location (as work demanded his presence). And the ugly divorce messed that up. Life happens.

The false "news" stories are needlessly cruel. And not based on what he actually said.

Bill

What I am gleaning from your posts is that you agree with him.

What I attributed to him is the belief that his work is at least equal to, if not greater than the physical and mental demands of members of the military and Olympic athletes (not only quoted in the first article but by subsequent articles and backed up with a statement he made to actual service members). You agree and have added that anyone who disagrees is small-minded, jealous of success and full of hate. Case closed.

What I am gleaning from your posts is that you agree with him.

What I attributed to him is the belief that his work is at least equal to, if not greater than the physical and mental demands of members of the military and Olympic athletes (not only quoted in the first article but by subsequent articles and backed up with a statement he made to actual service members). You agree and have added that anyone who disagrees is small-minded, jealous of success and full of hate. Case closed.

You linked to an article that was untrue in it's reporting (big suprise with FOX "News").

Then you linked to an article about a serviceman who was horribly injured in Afghanistan as an appeal to emotion, and a way of making the false reports about Tom Cruise seem even worse than they were. Pretty low tactics Mrs Mungo.

Many people have jobs that take them away for their loved ones (children included). I get that you resent his wealth and that you don't like him. I don't like him either. But if you think he has an easy job, try it sometime.

Bill

He fulfilled contractual obligations to promote completed film projects. That is the man's job. He was fulfilling an obligation. He also made a quick visit to a religious meeting that was important to him. I know Scientology gets no respect in the general public, but this is his faith (like it or not). I don't think someone would be dumped on the same way had he made a sprint to see the Pope.

Bill

so - attending a scientology convention is considered a contractual obligation in  Hollywood.  

so - attending a scientology convention is considered a contractual obligation in Hollywood.

Did you read my post? I said he *also* attended a religious meeting that was (evidently) important to him. The man is entitled to his own religious convictions. No one would be attacked for going to Church or seeing the Pope.

I get that people don't like Tom Cruise, I don't like Tom Cruise, but inventing sleazy stories that suggest he said things that aren't so isn't cool. The man has enough baggage to carry already, why invent things?

Bill

I can no longer watch any of his or Mel Gibson's movies. Not even the older ones I used to like before they showed their true selves.

Me either! I have never liked Mel and Tom I've disliked for a long time. I did see Interview with a Vampire, but didn't particularly care for him in that role. I've seen a couple other of his older movies, but ewww.

My husband waited an appropriate length of time before he told me that he came up with the name Ethan from Tom's character in Mission Impossible (I think). He knew that if I had known that before hand I would have nixed that name. By the time I knew, it was way too late.

Good grief.

You are the one who has taken the low road here (and not for the first time either).

Look in the mirror.

Bill

Are you claiming that *I* have made an attack on *you* in this thread? All I said about you was that I disagree with you, and that you appear to agree with Tom Cruise. I didn't even use words like "you are wrong."

quote from you:

I wonder if you have any idea how hard someone in Tom Cruise's position has to work (if he's going to work)?

In answer to this quote from me, "I am talking about his comments about the brutality of the work and the mental and physical stamina required. THOSE are the comments I disagree with and find annoying."

You said this:

You may find it annoying, but I think you are clueless about the demands Tom Cruise has in his job. I do not like the man. But the work ethic it takes to do his job is something I admire.

*I* think his words and intent (as well as yours) definitely imply that his job is brutal and at least as hard (possibly more difficult, since I am so clueless about hard work) as serving in the military and/or performing as an Olympic athlete. That is total bull. His job is neither as physically nor mentally demanding as that of a solider. How do I know? Because I have known *thousands* of men and women in uniform who have sacrificed more than the man in question can even fathom. That was my only point from the beginning.

Are you claiming that *I* have made an attack on *you* in this thread? All I said about you was that I disagree with you, and that you appear to agree with Tom Cruise. I didn't even use words like "you are wrong."

Uh yea, you said:

"Bill is pretty infamous for his ad hominem attacks. At some point one has to just figure he doesn't care as much about the truth as he claims."

Which is a lie and falls into character assignation. I made no ad homenim attacks on you. The attacks on Tom Cruise weren't kosher, and I said so.

quote from you:

In answer to this quote from me, "I am talking about his comments about the brutality of the work and the mental and physical stamina required. THOSE are the comments I disagree with and find annoying."

You said this:

*I* think his words and intent (as well as yours) definitely imply that his job is brutal and at least as hard (possibly more difficult, since I am so clueless about hard work) as serving in the military and/or performing as an Olympic athlete. That is total bull. His job is neither as physically nor mentally demanding as that of a solider. How do I know? Because I have known *thousands* of men and women in uniform who have sacrificed more than the man in question can even fathom. That was my only point from the beginning.

You posted a picture of a disfigured soldier. You went way beyond the limits you describe here.

Bill

Uh yea, you said:

"Bill is pretty infamous for his ad hominem attacks. At some point one has to just figure he doesn't care as much about the truth as he claims."

Which is a lie and falls not character assignation. I made no ad homenim attacks on you. The attacks on Tom Cruise weren't kosher, and I said so.

LOL, right.

You posted a picture of a disfigured soldier. You went way beyond the limits you describe here.

I posted a link to a story of a wounded warrior who had been wounded in combat. The two news stories were on my Facebook feed at the same time. One story, a Hollywood power couple displaying incredible amounts of narcissism. The other story was of a wounded warrior overcoming odds and being grateful for his wife who stood by him throughout it all. I found the contrast jarring. Maybe you didn't actually read the soldier's story to understand the contrast?

LOL, right.

I posted a link to a story of a wounded warrior who had been wounded in combat. The two news stories were on my Facebook feed at the same time. One story, a Hollywood power couple displaying incredible amounts of narcissism. The other story was of a wounded warrior overcoming odds and being grateful for his wife who stood by him throughout it all. I found the contrast jarring. Maybe you didn't actually read the soldier's story to understand the contrast?

Please never engage me in conversation again please.

Bill

Good grief.

You are the one who has taken the low road here (and not for the first time either).

Look in the mirror.

Bill

This seems rather like the low road IMO

Many people have jobs that take them away for their loved ones (children included). I get that you resent his wealth and that you don't like him. I don't like him either. But if you think he has an easy job, try it sometime.

Try it sometime? Are you aware how many months Mrs Mungo's dh has spent in Afghanistan? Maybe you should try HER job sometime.

There wasn't a need to go there.

Two things I know:

1. People in our circles have met a LOT of celebrities. David Letterman, Tom Hanks, Craig Morgan, Robin Williams, Stevie Nicks, Joan Jett, Kelsey Grammer, Drew Carey, Meg Ryan, movie stars, TV stars, musicians, comedians, all *kinds* of people. There are only 2 I have ever heard bad things about-Tom Cruise and J. Lo.

2. I didn't engage you in conversation, Bill. You came into MY thread to tell me how horrible I am. Feel free to control YOU instead of attempting to control me.

I actually have met Tom Cruise. He was lovely. Among other kindnesses, he personally checked that I was uninjured after a man nearly trampled me trying to get a good picture of him.

(I also discovered that he was a good 5 or 6 inches shorter than I am, ending my teenage crush, but that is beside the point.)

The original poster's initial assertion is invalidated by the very Fox News article she linked. The man was answering questions regarding someone's accusation that he abandoned his daughter while he was going through a difficult divorce. When specifically questioned, he expressed disgust that his comments were construed in that way. So lets not take him out of context and expand what he said to mean something more than it did.

Is he a narcissist? Absolutely. Should he have made more of an effort to see his daughter? Probably. But taking a half quote and playing on people's patriotism to heap scorn on the man seems like a very "Fox Newsish" thing to do.

I actually have met Tom Cruise. He was lovely. Among other kindnesses, he personally checked that I was uninjured after a man nearly trampled me trying to get a good picture of him.

(I also discovered that he was a good 5 or 6 inches shorter than I am, ending my teenage crush, but that is beside the point.)

The original poster's initial assertion is invalidated by the very Fox News article she linked. The man was answering questions regarding someone's accusation that he abandoned his daughter while he was going through a difficult divorce. When specifically questioned, he expressed disgust that his comments were construed in that way. So lets not take him out of context and expand what he said to mean something more than it did.

Is he a narcissist? Absolutely. Should he have made more of an effort to see his daughter? Probably. But taking a half quote and playing on people's patriotism to heap scorn on the man seems like a very "Fox Newsish" thing to do.

In the beginning, CNN was reporting the same story in the same way.  They have since changed the focus to, "His comment was taken out of context," so it isn't just Fox News.

I dislike Tom Cruise and think he is narcissistic and probably nuts.  That said, whenever I read some sort of insane comment these days, I always START with the assumption that it was probably taken out of context, since that seems to be the case most often in the media.

Regardless of who it is, there are very few times a whole person can be summed up by one comment.  Not saying that it doesn't happen sometimes. (I'm thinking specifically politician's comments on rape, etc., that there is no way to interpret differently than the way they are spoken.)

Cruise has had way too many of these comments though, and although he may not have meant what he said (I'll give him that benefit of the doubt) adding this to his bizarro slew of other comments definitely reveals some deep personality problems. That's my interpretation of this.

NBC, CBS , et al have all done the same thing in different cases.  (cbs is currently issues many apologies over one.)

eta: I no longer watch any of the us networks - I go to UK sites to get my news.