Menu

New trend with pediatricians?

*Michelle*

Twice now, we've had appointments with someone other than our regular pediatrician and they've asked us seemingly leading questions as if they're trying to catch us at something.

Ex. 1:

Dr.: So, how many ounces of juice does your 15 month old drink each day?

Me:  :confused1:  None? I thought we weren't supposed to gi-

Dr.: Oh, good, you should restrict juice because...

Ex. 2:

Dr.: How is potty training going?

Me: Potty training? He's only 15 months old. I do-

Dr.: Of course. We don't recommend starting this early. It should be child-led...

Ex. 3:

Dr.: Does she like sitting up front in the car like a big girl now?

Me: I beg your pardon? She just turned three!

Dr.: Exactly right! She should be in the back seat in a car seat...

This has been the spiel with two different docs. I'm wondering if they attended a seminar or something on ways to get parents to reveal their awfulness.

It's called an open-ended question.  You get more info out of people that way.  If you ask a direct question, lots of people will lie or not give enough info.  Believe me, there are a lot of mothers who don't know better than to do things considered harmful (to various degrees) to their child.  

Say a doc asks a direct question:  Does your baby drink a lot of juice?  Or worse, You don't let your baby drink a lot of juice, do you?  The question itself tells the mom what the correct answer is, and often they will say what the doc wants to hear.

The docs probably did learn that technique during a seminar.

Similarly, you don't ask your teenager if he has been drinking when you are pretty sure he has.  Many kids will say no.  Instead you say, how many beers did you have?  The kid will say, "Beer?! We were drinking wine!"

The juice one seems normal to me.  Most parents let their kids have some.  The other two do seem leading and weird.  Especially the car one.  I mean, for a certain kind of person, they would be like, "Oh, um, she likes it?" trying to play along with the expert clearly having this expectation.  It seems honestly pretty rude.  My ped asked the kids from age three or so things like "what do you sit on in the car" and things like "tell me your favorite food."  And asked me things like "so how's feeding going" and "how do the poops look" when the kids were smaller.  Those are also open-ended and get the information and allowed for her to insert what the guidelines were but weren't patronizing.  I mean, it would bother me to be treated that way because it implies I'm under suspicion, like you say.  Or that I can be caught doing wrong.  My ped treats me like the expert on my kids and assumes I'm a good parent.  She's always supportive and makes me feel good.  That does the opposite.  I wouldn't go to a practice where they treated me that way.

Where I go they ask if I have a preference for doctors when making an appointment.  I always choose the one I'm familiar with.  I have not even met the other one.  I wouldn't be picky if my kid was sick, but for routine stuff yeah I go with who I know.

I'm usually able to request also, but we go to the pediatrics clinic on base and sometimes she's called away for an emergency or has to do an unscheduled shift on the L&D unit or something like that, so we have to go with who is available.

Of course, now we're moving and well have to start all over with a new clinic. I can't wait to hear all of their questions! :D

What? Why not, just remind parents about these issues instead of trying to "get them in trouble". Why treat adults like children and be condescending?

At points, I think, "did you even review our charts?"  I mean, we've had five kids, two with special needs and one of those medically complex. I'm 34 years old and was an RN. That's all in our summary. We've been coming to this clinic for 7 years and have never missed a well-check. That should count for something.

Speaking to someone like they are a dolt isn't necessary to weed out really atrociously horrible parents of the sort that would not have car seats for their kids.

Exactly. I'd walk out and never. Go back. I'm not horrible in love with the idea of a pedi anyway. Having one talk to me like that would only guarantee I'd be finding another doctor.

Or regular pediatrician is wonderful. We've had her since our oldest was a baby, so our appointments border on social visits and the kids race to give her hugs and sit on her lap. It's only weird with the new doctors, thankfully.

Before you move or maybe just after, I might just write them a note a feedback and say something like, "We've loved having you as our pediatrician, blah blah blah.  One thing that feels uncomfortable is this new line of questioning.  Here's some examples, blah blah blah.  I know you need to check that parents know these things because they're important, but this made me feel like I was under suspicion.  Surely there's a better, more supportive way to find this out.  I want to go to a pediatrician that I trust as a partner in keeping my kids healthy and safe.  When I'm not treated with trust and respect, then it makes it harder for me to feel that trust in the doctor, no matter how good the advice is.  Since we've always felt that trust before, I just wanted to point this out, blah blah blah, end on a good note, blah blah blah."

That would upset me, too.  We had a conversation like that with CPS (a wrongful claim-it was cleared).  

Him: "Do you use a belt to spank the kids?"

Me: "No, that's abuse.  We never hit the kids."

Him: "Oh, so a little swat, then, what about time out?"

Me: "No, we don't swat.  Ever.  And we don't use time out." 

Him: "Not very often, then?"

Me: "No, never."

....and on and on.

If you're not listening between the lines, you're pretty much agreeing.  It's crazy. 

I don't even like that line of questioning, but it at least doesn't feel like a set up. 

Reminds me of the crazy questions they ask in the hospital after you have a baby.  Stuff like, "Do you have running water?"  I asked if there really were people around who don't have running water!  Of course barring that they are homeless. But who doesn't have running water!?  Apparently it happens.

This reminds me of a stat I heard about 20 yrs ago.  Apparently at that time more American homes had TVs (hence - electricity) than had indoor plumbing.  So yeah, I guess it does happen.

To the OP - I agree with Parrothead.  We're these new doctor's young? 

That's bad cross-examining and would irritate me. I would be blunt and tell him to stop. We have a great ped and joke with her. Occasionally she will shake her head and say, "You have no idea..." The office is in a "nice" area and she still sees enough crap to make her cry nearly daily after practicing for 30 years. We, who research every decision for the best of the child, are not the norm.

We have a great pediatrician who will tell me he has to ask certain questions and then just zip through them.

We had some doozies when we lived in Kentucky during my daughter's first year of life. We had one who always came into the room reeking of cigarette smoke. Another who had just given birth herself but couldn't answer any of my breastfeeding questions because she did't even nurse her daughter a single time by choice.

My favorite was when the latter told me my six month old, adorably chubby, solely breastfed baby was obese. I laughed really hard and then politely told her she should do more research. We never went back.

We had a crappy doc when ds was born (switched to the doc in the next town very quickly, though).  He would ask questions in that same way.  When asked why we were switching, I did tell him that I felt his attitude was egregiously condescending.  Luckily, our current doc is intelligent, capable AND able to communicate on a fair and honest level. 

Oh, my. I was up too late watching the Tigers get stomped last night and I think Facebook posts are starting to get to me. I read the title of your thread as "New trend with politicians" and when I read your post, I was wondering what on earth a politician was doing asking you those questions :lol: .

Every time one of these posts comes up, I am soooo happy that we have our pediatrician.  We've been using the same practice since my oldest was born - she came 3 1/2 weeks early so we basically ended up "interviewing" the pediatricians (that our Ob recommended) in the hospital.  Two of the original doctors are still there - one is my absolute favorite and I will ask for her whenever I can.  The other is a kind of old school guy and he sometimes rubs me the wrong way.  But none of the doctors have ever left me feeling like they didn't trust me or thought I didn't know my own children.

Weird.

The juice one sounds normal to me.  I gave my kids juice from the time they were little.  2-3 oz a day.  It's ok if people think I must be a terrible parent for doing it. ;)  I have no qualms about it.  :P

The potty training one - I want to say that when we went in at 18 months, we were asked if we were doing anything as far as potty training goes.  I think they do that to be open to different philosophies of parents - some will say they are working on it at 18 months, others (like me) are just like, yeah, we're not doing that yet.  :)  When I answered such, both our old pediatrician and our current one would respond accordingly.

The car one is just weird.  :blink:  Here they say, 'is s/he in a car seat/ booster?' point blank.  There is no leaving room for parental philosophies here - it's the law. 

Ours asked my 16 year old if she was pregnant!!! She was so angry she looked right at them and said, ARE YOU CALLING ME FAT????? Loudly. My daughter is a toothpick by the way. She really hates that all adults assume all teens are having sex.

Just randomly?  Or before performing a test of some kind?

And yeah, they'll assume that.  It's part of life.  It's been happening since I was a teenager.  :)

Ours asked my 16 year old if she was pregnant!!! She was so angry she looked right at them and said, ARE YOU CALLING ME FAT????? Loudly. My daughter is a toothpick by the way. She really hates that all adults assume all teens are having sex.

It may have not been the case, but if they were doing an x-ray or other tests of that nature, they are required to ask.  And some symptoms might be related to pregnancy - again, a reason to ask.  And if medication was prescribed, it is also necessary to ask.  They don't assume that all teens are having sex but they do assume that many teens do . . . so they need to ask.  

It was just for a physical, no tests or meds

Then it wasn't really necessary.  Except that a teen girl was just in the news for giving birth and carrying her dead fetus around in a shopping bag.  Teen girls are of child-bearing age, even if there are very good reasons (physical as well as emotional) as to why they should not bear children.  My doctors ask me if I'm pregnant even though I'm at the other end of the spectrum and am probably in my last year or two of being able to bear a child.  I don't find the question itself rude or inappropriate.  Now if they argued with her like an x-ray tech did with me, then yes!  (And yes, I do carry my weight in my tummy, why do you ask?)

It may have not been the case, but if they were doing an x-ray or other tests of that nature, they are required to ask.  And some symptoms might be related to pregnancy - again, a reason to ask.  And if medication was prescribed, it is also necessary to ask.  They don't assume that all teens are having sex but they do assume that many teens do . . . so they need to ask.

I still dislike the question because I think it's the wrong questions.

They need to know if she is sexually active. Anyone who is sexually active with the opposite gender could be pregnant. And many wouldn't even know for several weeks. Even if they are on birth control. Yet those several weeks are when some of the worst damage could be done by X-rays and medications.

My response to that question has always been, "I'm sexually active with my husband, so pregnancy is possible. Presume I am."

Most of the time it doesn't change truly needed treatment. When I broke my foot, they put a lead apron over me, but I still needed the X-ray.

Wow, no, our family doc (whom we see instead of a ped) doesn't ask those kinds of questions at all! She's young and has only been practicing for a couple of years, but she asks open-ended questions like "how's the breastfeeding going?" (for the baby) and "what are your favorite foods?" to the two and four year olds. (And then she smiled when one of them, the 2yo, IIRC, told her broccoli and cookies were his favorites. Some of that stuff I think she asks just to get the child to feel comfortable and to assess the speech. My favorite was when she asked my then 3yo, at the first visit, "So, what did you do today?" His answer: "Um, we drive." "Oh, where did you go?" she asked. He gave her his very best "duh" look and said, "Here." She cracked up.) She gives out some little informational brochures that talk about things like starting solids or firearm safety (big thing around here), but she doesn't ask a lot of questions. I would not be offended if she asked if we gave juice or if we used a carseat, or even if she asked if we had the littles rear-facing in the car, because I know that not everyone is an experienced parent, but I would not like the leading questions like the OP is getting -- that seems like it would set up too much of an "us vs. you" thing, and that's not the kind of relationship I want with a doctor. I want my doctor to do exactly what mine does -- let me be the parent but be the expert when I need one.

I think I would stop and ask the Dr. point blank, "It really feels like you are trying to trip me up with all these questions. If you think I'm a bad parent, then please come out and say so to my face. If you don't think that, then please stop with the leading questions. You expect me to trust you, you will just have to extend the same courtesy to me."

BTW, there are several homes in my area that do not have running water inside or electricity. We don't have a furnace. But we have all managed to stay alive and healthy and to raise numerous healthy children under these circumstances.

I think it's wise for doctors to ask questions about things that are "common, but not recommended" in those ways. It opens the discussion with where the parent is on the topic, so that the recommendation to limit juice / lay off potty pressure / etc. can seem natural not like, "Everybody already knows *that* -- get with it, lady!"

For the car seat, I'm thinking maybe he meant to be talking about the transition to front-facing, and either got his wires crossed on the topic, or simply mis-spoke and carried on as a cover for it. Or, possibly, some cars, particularly trucks, are made safe for kids in the front seat with air-bag shut-off mechanisms. The back is still safer, but it's not quite so clear cut in some families.

Enjoy your peds. My family moved to ALberta last year. Children must have a referral in order to see a ped. I have been tring to get a family doctor within 30mins of my house for over a year. I would be happy to answer indirect questions if it means that I can take my children to a ped.

On the topic of stupid questions at a pedi office.... When my ds was not even 48 hours old we went to the pedi for his newborn checkup. The nurse/medical assistant asked what hospital he was born in. I told her he was born at home and not in a hospital. She said, "Oh, at home? Okay," and wrote it down. Her very next question was, "Was it a vaginal birth or a c-section?"

:smilielol5:

I stared at her and couldn't respond for a moment. Then said, "Well, seeing how I was at home it was a vaginal birth." 

On the topic of stupid questions at a pedi office.... When my ds was not even 48 hours old we went to the pedi for his newborn checkup. The nurse/medical assistant asked what hospital he was born in. I told her he was born at home and not in a hospital. She said, "Oh, at home? Okay," and wrote it down. Her very next question was, "Was it a vaginal birth or a c-section?"

I stared at her and couldn't respond for a moment. Then said, "Well, seeing how I was at home it was a vaginal birth." 

You might have used a very sharp knife and a needle and thread. . . 

Twice now, we've had appointments with someone other than our regular pediatrician and they've asked us seemingly leading questions as if they're trying to catch us at something.

Ex. 1:

Dr.: So, how many ounces of juice does your 15 month old drink each day?

Me:  :confused1:  None? I thought we weren't supposed to gi-

Dr.: Oh, good, you should restrict juice because...

Ex. 2:

Dr.: How is potty training going?

Me: Potty training? He's only 15 months old. I do-

Dr.: Of course. We don't recommend starting this early. It should be child-led...

Ex. 3:

Dr.: Does she like sitting up front in the car like a big girl now?

Me: I beg your pardon? She just turned three!

Dr.: Exactly right! She should be in the back seat in a car seat...

This has been the spiel with two different docs. I'm wondering if they attended a seminar or something on ways to get parents to reveal their awfulness.

Ha.  They ARE trying to catch you at something.  I wouldn't appreciate that, though I do understand it.  We used a family doc anyway, not a ped, and I'm so glad, after all I have read.

It's called an open-ended question.  You get more info out of people that way.  If you ask a direct question, lots of people will lie or not give enough info.  Believe me, there are a lot of mothers who don't know better than to do things considered harmful (to various degrees) to their child.  

Say a doc asks a direct question:  Does your baby drink a lot of juice?  Or worse, You don't let your baby drink a lot of juice, do you?  The question itself tells the mom what the correct answer is, and often they will say what the doc wants to hear.

The docs probably did learn that technique during a seminar.

Similarly, you don't ask your teenager if he has been drinking when you are pretty sure he has.  Many kids will say no.  Instead you say, how many beers did you have?  The kid will say, "Beer?! We were drinking wine!"

I appreciate direct questions.

But as a landlord, I have to do the same thing.

"Tell me about your pets" (on a NO-pets ad) gets me more info than, "You don't have pets, do you?"

No that's BS.  I had one doctor who assumed I was screwing everything up.  This is the same doctor that questioned my ability to teach my 3 year old what he needs to know since I wasn't planning to send him to preschool.  I got a different doctor.

My current doctor asks questions, but he doesn't ask it in a way that sets me up.  He will just ask, do you use a car seat?  Stuff like that.

Ha ha.

You didn't actually think that you, an adult woman and a mother, could possibly teach a THREE year old anything, did you?  We require EXPERTS for that!  (ha ha ha)

I still dislike the question because I think it's the wrong questions.

They need to know if she is sexually active. Anyone who is sexually active with the opposite gender could be pregnant. And many wouldn't even know for several weeks. Even if they are on birth control. Yet those several weeks are when some of the worst damage could be done by X-rays and medications.

My response to that question has always been, "I'm sexually active with my husband, so pregnancy is possible. Presume I am."

Most of the time it doesn't change truly needed treatment. When I broke my foot, they put a lead apron over me, but I still needed the X-ray.

Of course, some teenage girls may not be willing to admit they are sexually active with their mothers standing right there.

My oldest has been to the ER a few times for possible dance-related injuries, and more recently for a severe kidney infection with chest pain.  Each time meant an x-ray and they didn't even ask, they automatically did a pregnancy test.

Of course, some teenage girls may not be willing to admit they are sexually active with their mothers standing right there.

My oldest has been to the ER a few times for possible dance-related injuries, and more recently for a severe kidney infection with chest pain. Each time meant an x-ray and they didn't even ask, they automatically did a pregnancy test.

That would tick me off big time. Unless they are x-raying her belly, and even if they aren't, it's no hardship to put a lead apron over her for x-rays and there's some logic to doing it regardless. And it's not like pregnant women don't still get their kidney infections treated.

Ugh. That's nothing but cya insurance hyping up the bill.

Yep. This has happened to me more than once.

A couple times they have caught themselves and laughed. Of course vaginal, right? Um.. Yep. You got it ;)

When I took my dd11 to get a cat scan, the nurse told us during check in that they would have to run a pg test if she had already started her periods. I realize this is probably needed in some sad cases, and is just a general policy, but I still responded with shock. Unfortunately, dd was sitting right there and was in shock as well. It doesn't help that she's super tiny at 4'6" and 60 lbs, which just made it seem absurd, but thankfully she hasn't started yet.