Menu

What products do they no longer make that you wish they did?

DawnM

I have a huge list, but the latest got me really mad.

My favorite foundation/make up stopped being produced.  It was the CityBase cream compact from Clinique.  I got compliments on it, I could carry it in my purse, it never melted in the sun or broke apart.

I am SO FRUSTRATED!  I have used it for over 25 years!!!!!!!!!!

I have tried numerous other products to match it, even my latest $30 Este Lauder purchase.....nope, that one melted completely in my purse the third week I had it and it went on slimy.

UGH!!!!!!!

Dawn

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is now a travel site!  :laugh:

PS:  Looks like it was not a favorite.....but I think it looks cool!

http://content.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,1913612_1913610_1913561,00.html

Orbitz. It was a short lived drink that had little starch balls floating in it, probably inspired by bubble tea (which I'm actually not a fan of). Delicious but too weird for the market at that time. Darn.

Tolliver's fruit drops. They were hard candies that came packed in powdered sugar in a pry-the-top-off tin. I'd love to find some for my dad for Christmas but have been unable to do so. 

Just as an aside, I've found many things in the Vermont Country Store that I thought were discontinued. Pricey, but a walk down memory lane!

Burt's bees tomato toner. But I have hope...after years they finally brought back the rosewater toner....mabe a few more years and they will bring it back

What?! I am down to my last couple of bottles.  Years ago I bought a slew of them in a co-op purchase.  Now I am sad. 

Apparently, I can't get frozen bagels anymore-which is frustrating, because I don't need to eat a dozen bakery ones in the time before they go stale. The frozen ones worked great to stick in the toaster oven when I wanted just one.

We load up at Panera on bagel Tuesdays and just freeze them ourselves.

I miss Jell-O Gelatin pops.  Not fudge pops, gelatin pops.  I haven't seen those since I was a kid.

There are many toys from the 50s - 80s that I adored and always wanted but my parents couldn't afford to buy for us, that I swore I'd buy for my kids, nieces and nephews. They are either no longer made or so overpriced by the one or two makers that still produce them that I'm disgusted!

There are many toys from the 50s - 80s that I adored and always wanted but my parents couldn't that I swore I'd buy for my kids and my nieces and nephews. They are either no longer made or so overpriced by the one or two makers that still produce them that I'm disgusted!

Or now made out of poor quality plastic. My kids played with DH's old Fisher-Price (possibly Little People - before they made them fatter and not a choking hazard) parking garage at their great-grandparents' house before Christmas last year. The elevator part was sturdy plastic, but the rest was made out of that heavy, chalkboard-like particle board. We tried to find something similar, but they were outrageously expensive or made out of cheap, flimsy plastic.

Apparently, I can't get frozen bagels anymore-which is frustrating, because I don't need to eat a dozen bakery ones in the time before they go stale. The frozen ones worked great to stick in the toaster oven when I wanted just one.

I still buy frozen bagels at my local grocery store. The brand is Lenders, and like a pp mentioned, they are a far more normal size than bakery bagels.

The Body Shop used to make an amazing strawberry body wash in a tube.  It smelled exactly like strawberries.  Great consistency, too, with tiny seeds.  I loved that stuff.  I probably wouldn't use it now, even if they still made it, because I'd not like the ingredients, but man, did it smell good.  

I STILL miss Carnation Breakfast bars

We used to have them for breakfast on swim team meet days.

I do Chewy Dipps Chocolate Chip. But its really not the same.

I remember those!  They were good, and I'm not a big fan of bars.

Ananya scented lotion at The Body Shop.

Dalwhinnie Pot Pie at Coopersmith's in Ft. Collins, CO.  (Oh, MAN, those were good!)

rolls of toilet paper as wide as the toilet paper holders were designed for (yes, the rolls used to be that wide.  The spindle used to NEVER show, and the roll didn't slide from side to side on the holder.)

Lost Vikings video game!  That was a BLAST!  The only way to get through all of the levels was to work together (keep all 3 characters alive all the way through).

hairbrushes that didn't fall apart after 1 year's daily use

Or now made out of poor quality plastic. My kids played with DH's old Fisher-Price (possibly Little People - before they made them fatter and not a choking hazard) parking garage at their great-grandparents' house before Christmas last year. The elevator part was sturdy plastic, but the rest was made out of that heavy, chalkboard-like particle board. We tried to find something similar, but they were outrageously expensive or made out of cheap, flimsy plastic.

I know! What is with that? Why the trashy quality? Hubby and I have bought bits and pieces of quality, worthwhile toys and play sets over the years but it's still disappointing how little there is to choose from!!!

Oh, and the dime paper back rack!!! I miss cheap, but interesting, NEW paperbacks! I buy a lot of things used now...

There is something irresistible and charming about the realistic, hand-drawn 2D animation that has fallen out of favor in the last 10 or so years. Have you ever stopped and really watched the backgrounds of shows like Disneys Bambi, and Tom and Jerry cartoons? They were amazing!!!

Trader Joe's coconut chicken rolls (not the exact name) and curried chicken salad lunch to go.

Gum with caffeine in it. (Was on the market briefly. Wanted to try it for ds with ADHD who won't take meds.)

Lands End's old quality fleece and knits.

Appliances like "they used to make them." I have the toaster given to my parents as a wedding gift. It still works 60 years later (though I stopped using it about 10 years ago to save it.) Average life of a toaster oven now: 1-3 years at our house.

Cherry powdered frosting mix - My favorite candy at Christmas is Cherry Mash and it's just not the same consistency using anything else.

American Beauty perfume at Kohl's - they made a lilac scent that I absolutely loved!

wood Tinker Toys - I know they're still available, but they're so expensive now and flimsy compared to what I had as a child.

Spanish rice in a can - had a recipe that called for this and it was such a quick meal.  I still make it with boxed Spanish rice, but it takes much longer.

Lana

Drixoral tablets. They were for sinus headaches, but they were also great for migraines. I have never found anything else that worked well for me since they stopped making them. :glare:

Not trying to hijack the thread but, my oldest son was prescribed an antihistamine called Periactin about a year ago to help with his migraines. He has gone from almost every day having one to maybe 3 in the last 8-9 months. 

Not trying to hijack the thread but, my oldest son was prescribed an antihistamine called Periactin about a year ago to help with his migraines. He has gone from almost every day having one to maybe 3 in the last 8-9 months.

Thank you!!! :)

I wrote down the name and will definitely ask my doctor about it the next time I see him.

THANKS AGAIN!!!

Lands End's old quality fleece and knits.

I still get a few Land's End items, but I don't hesitate now to return them if the quality is poor.  I used to get my everyday polo shirts from them, but no more.  The quality has gone way down.

Also J.C. Penney's as it was.  I've had so many bad purchases from them now that I'm ***done***.  We bought virtually all of our curtains, linens, and men's clothing there for years.

We also liked Fashion Bug. Completely gone now.

I miss Borders a lot, but I'm not surprised they went out of business.  It was a huge store with very few people actually buying things there.

Chocolate Raspberry coffee creamer. Sadness. Much sadness.

I haven't been able to find my Salted Caramel creamer lately, but I'm not in a full panic yet. Soon I will panic.

Target's gardenia perfume.

All the SUPER good monthly sale deals at Garden Botanika. The sets were awesome back in the early 90s!

Monterey Jack Doritos. Most awesome flavor ever!

Costco sold some Pumpkin Maple preserves a few years ago that they discontinued after just 6 months. It was SO yummy stirred into oatmeal!

Also Costco Pretzel Rolls. So yummy! Discontinued. :(

Deluxe Chemistry sets with radioactive materials. Glass-blowing kits for children. (Middle Girl just announced yesterday that she wished they were still manufactured; her grandfather, who had access to both, was surely living in a child's paradise.)

Can't help being reminded of Dan Aykroyd's SNL character who sold Bag o' Glass and the Johnny Switchblade doll. :)

I STILL miss Carnation Breakfast bars

I loved these, and I don't normally do breakfast bars.  Every time I wander down the cereal aisle I find myself looking for them, just in case they ever bring them back.

Gum with caffeine in it. (Was on the market briefly. Wanted to try it for ds with ADHD who won't take meds.)

Check out thinkgeek.com.  I think I remember seeing it on their website a few months ago.

Hostess Chocolate Delight snack cakes - They were like a chocolate Twinkie, with choco cake, filling, and icing.   Discontinued about 25 years ago, but were oh-so-good.  Right now I'd just be thrilled if the new Hostess recipe owner would bring back Ho-Hos and Ding Dongs.

Bath & Body Works Plumeria fragrance

Avon's Diamond Dust nail strengthener - I just went to order some online the other day and it's *GONE*.  I'm sad. It's the only thing that actually works to strengthen my nails.  :\

Can't help being reminded of Dan Aykroyd's SNL character who sold Bag o' Glass and the Johnny Switchblade doll. :)

LOL! Still, those dangerous kits raised a generation of scientists. My dad went from creating small explosions in his back yard to working at Los Alamos NL. And here's Nobel laureate Kary Mullis' fond memory of his chemistry set:

'Something about tubes filled with things with exotic names intrigued me. My objective with that set was to figure out what things I might put together to cause an explosion. I discovered that whatever chemicals might be missing from the set could be bought at the local drugstore. .We could go down to the hardware store and buy 100 feet of dynamite fuse, and the clerk would just smile and say, "What are you kids going to do? Blow up the bank?"'

http://www.rsc.org/chemistryworld/issues/2007/december/thechemistrysetgeneration.asp