Menu

Calling all practical low-maintenance moms - let's talk purses/bags

aggieamy

Right now I carry a purse because I've been out of the diaper stage for a long time but with trying to adopt and sometimes just needing to carry more stuff I find myself wondering what I could carry instead of a purse.  I'm hoping to find something that could carry a wallet, cell phone, a library book or two, and a snack with the hope that in the next year I could also throw a diaper or two in there also. 

So, if you carry a purse you just love or some other type of bag then please let me know what you use.  (I don't need something "cool" but fanny packs need not apply for the job!  :))

Thanks!

I use the 31 organizing shoulder bag when I need something more than my little crossbody bag (which just holds my debit cards, some cash, and my cell phone).   The organizing shoulder bag has an outside pocket that's just right for a book, and enough space inside for my other needs.  Target has a knock-off that is almost like my 31 bag but it's about a third of the price.

I love my sherpani purse:

I bought this one five or sixyears ago (slightly different design then)

http://www.rei.com/product/860065/sherpani-milli-satchel-womens-2012-closeout,-chili-pepper?preferredSku=8600650001&cm_mmc=cse_PLA-_-pla-_-product-_-8600650001&mr:referralID=7277f665-fc80-11e2-9389-001b2166c62d

have used it a lot, in town and traveling. Holds up beautifully. It is Nylon, very durable, does not matter if it gets wet.

It can hold my large engagement calendar or a book.

I've never carried a purse.  I wear jeans with pockets and keep my wallet, keys, cash, a ponytail, and folded-up tissues in my pockets.  If I need to carry my phone around (outside of my home/car), during cold months it goes in my coat pocket.  Otherwise on a belt clip or in whatever other bag I might be carrying (computer bag or kids' stuff etc.), or failing all that, I just carry it in my hand.  Usually I don't take the cell phone when I am putzing around on personal stuff.  I rarely carry a book (for myself), but if I did, it would be about the same.  If I needed a bag I'd use a recycled plastic bag from the grocery store.  :)

When my kids were in diapers, I carried a small diaper bag which I usually kept stocked with a variety of things I might or might not need, e.g., nonperishable snacks, disposable changing pads, plastic eating utensils.  I quit carrying that before the kids were 2.

I made mine through a mishmash of tutorials I found online. It's tote bag size and I put pockets on the inside that are just right for my wallet, cell, and ear buds. 5 or so slots for pens and pencils. I should've made a zippered portion for change though.

I bought a SkipHop bag from Target, very similar to this one http://www.target.com/p/skip-hop-duo-essential-diaper-bag-black/-/A-11406618#prodSlot=large_1_9&term=skip+hop, except that mine has another mesh pocket on the end instead of the cell phone pocket, about five years ago, and I really like it. It's holding quite strong still, despite heavy use! It could very easily be a "mom" tote bag, instead of a diaper bag. I can put four water bottles in its outside pockets (and I'm talking the 27-ounce Klean Kanteen bottles, so not small ones) and still have an outside pocket available for my phone, keys, etc. I have no problem fitting a few toys, an outfit or two, some cloth diapers and a wool cover or two, a wet bag, wipes, changing pad, maybe a snack, and my small knitting bag in the interior part, and a notebook or binder or tablet fits easily into the very back pocket. I couldn't ask for more in practicality and durability, especially since it was on sale for only about $30.

ETA: I don't like carrying a purse. I do have a very small one that I use occasionally, but most of the time, I need at least room for a tablet or binder, so even aside from babies/toddlers, I think my SkipHop bag will just continue to be my bag for a long time.

I currently have this Kipling Europa:

http://www.zappos.com/kipling-europa-large-crossover-bag-true-blue

I keep a zippered pouch with small pack of wipes and a backup disposable diaper. We use cloth, so I just stuff one or two on top. Most diapers stay in the car. One end pocket holds a spoon, crackers, and an applesauce pouch.

Lightweight and the fabric doesn't cause nubbies on your hip from rubbing as you walk.

It also comes with a really cute keychain monkey. :)

I have a small purse I carry. Where I hang my purse, I also have a small tote bag hanging there. If I need to take along a book, water bottle, or something extra that won't fit in my purse, I grab the tote too. When I have the tote, my purse can fit inside it, alongside the other items.

That way, it's easy to go w/ carrying just the minimum amount I need on a particular day.

I'm using an Eastsport backpack right now. Easier than a diaper bag and both DH and my mom say I look weird carrying a purse. I like having multiple pouches to stuff trash or dirty tissues in, separate from the "clean stuff".

I would link to what I have, but I'm afraid to Google it. ;-)

I like messenger bags. I have a Jansport one. I used it instead of a diaper bag as the boys got older. Its great for when you want to carry more things (a book, paperwork, knitting, first aid kit, snacks, water bottles for all, whatever) without looking overly fussy or like a giant grandmother purse. Its also easy to bike with/go down a slide/climb/etc.

I also have a smaller bag which can also be worn across the body. Its like the kidney shaped LLBean one mentioned earlier but its made out of blue and green tapestry fabric. That one will fit a wallet, keys, and has 14 pockets for small items. It will not fit a bunch of large items and a water bottle or small paperback will fit, but take over most of the room. I got it at a craft fair. I'm sure there are patterns available if you (or someone you know) enjoy sewing. 

I carried a beat up gray messenger bag for years.  I could have a hundred pounds of crap in there, no problem.  Then the cat got into a pissy mood one day and peed on it to spite me.  *sigh*  If I could find another one that durable, I'd use it over all my purses, hands down.

Another vote for a 31 bag. They have several types of purses and totes that might meet your needs. You can look at their catalog online and the fall catalog comes out next month, I think. 

It does come out next month and the new purses are on sale this month. If anyone wants a preview of the new catalog you are welcome to pm me and I will give you the link. (not an affiliate link either :P)

Shhhhhh.... you can't see me. I'm invisible. Really!!! Move along!!!! There is nothing to see here!!!

It's not like I'm here as a super-secret spy sent by an evil cadre of impractical, high-maintenance moms, trying to gain covert intelligence of the possible existence of handbag brands we hadn't heard about yet...  No way. Seriously, I'm not. 

;)

Lalala.  Shopping online is so much!  Thanks for all the suggestions. 

Shhhhhh.... you can't see me. I'm invisible. Really!!! Move along!!!! There is nothing to see here!!!

It's not like I'm here as a super-secret spy sent by an evil cadre of impractical, high-maintenance moms, trying to gain covert intelligence of the possible existence of handbag brands we hadn't heard about yet...  No way. Seriously, I'm not. 

;)

Alright, since you've ousted yourself as high-maintenance I have to ask ... how do you find time to blow dry your hair?  And why dry it when it goes into a ponytail so easily when wet?  :)

Alright, since you've ousted yourself as high-maintenance I have to ask ... how do you find time to blow dry your hair?  And why dry it when it goes into a ponytail so easily when wet?  :)

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Well, rats. I have been discovered. :glare:

Apparently my designer invisibility cloak was defective. Curse you, Giorgio Armani!!!  ;)

I carry small purses, preferably leather, with a cross-body strap, just big enough to hold my [small] wallet, my cell phone, my reading glasses, and a couple of pens/pencils. I've been doing that for years. I have some other purses that I'll carry for special dressier occasions. I also have a little purslett I bought from 31, but it doesn't hold the reading glasses. :-(

I have three Sherpani Elements bags. I have the small one to carry my cards, my epi pens and my phone. I can also get one set of keys in there. http://sherpani.com/sherpani-petal.aspx

I also have a mid-size bag for times we go to the big city. I can toss in tea bags, stevia packets, pens and a checkbook. http://sherpani.com/sherpani-luna.aspx. I personally think it is bigger than "small".

I also have the backpack for when we go to festivals, longer trips and for carrying books, lunch water. I toss the petal bag into the backpack with room to spare. http://www.amazon.com/Sherpani-SONOMA-Song-for-you/dp/B00595E8U4

I didn't pay that much for it. If you are interested shop around for a better price. Here is one a little less expensive, so they are out there. http://www.luggagepros.com/sherpani-elements-sonoma-backpack.shtml?utm_source=GoogleBase&utm_medium=feed&utm_term=Sherpani&utm_campaign=PID17980&gclid=CNuR-77Q4rgCFZSY4AodmTYAJw

Could someone please link the 31 bag that several have mentioned.

Regards,

Kareni

Yes, please!

My guess is that it is the Organizing Utility Tote or the Super Organizing Tote. If so, my question is how big is the super? I want something that carries diapers, a changing pad, extra baby clothes, a couple of toys, wallet, my phone, snacks, and a couple of water bottles. Would either work? And do they feel ok on the shoulder?

I'm using a LL Bean backpack right now which is great for my shoulders but it is so big. I definitely need something that holds a lot but I'm sick of it.

No purse or bag here on a daily basis. I use pockets for my keys, wallet and phone. That's all I carry on a regular basis.

I do have my church bag, in which I keep my Bible, a notebook, pen, highlighters, extra study book, etc. Oh yeah, and because I am a homeschooler, it also had a beautiful equilateral triangular prism for a long time.

I really dislike the traditional handbag. I use a rucsac if I need alot of space, I've got two in different sizes. I also have a brown leather bag that I carry that is from Jost. It has big chunky zips and lots of pockets. It looks like an old camera bag. it's big enough I can out a change of clothes for my youngest or a few small books and then my keys/phone/wallet etc.

I'd also suggest looking at modern camera bags. There are some very nice ones now that would make a great general bag. Lots of pockets with good access. Here are some of the brands in this article.

I swear by my diaper bag from Buy Buy Baby. It's the size of a small tote, but has a zippered top, which I want for the city. Outside pockets -- one large enough for a folded newspaper, two smaller. Inside -- six pockets, plus another pocket that zips. Lightweight, black quilted material.

I carried the same Coach wristlet for years. Like 10. Chucked into the diaper bag when the kids were young enough to have a diaper bag, just looped it around my wrist after we left that phase.

A couple of months back, I bought a Hobo crossbody. (At Goodwill. it was "boutique" so $10) It holds my phone, keys, some wet ones (when we're at tournaments... Port-a-johns. Brrrrrr), lipstick, and... my wristlet. Because I can't be bothered to buy a wallet. :D

I looked a long time before buying. I wanted something small with zippers and easy access to keys and cell phone. This is what I bought,Giani Bernini Handbag. I took off the metal designer medallion. I dislike being a walking advertisement. This is not the best made bag and probably won't last more than a few years, but I use it everyday. I can fit an oversized wallet and a Kindle in too. 

I use a leather handbag. I am guessing that when all you guys are talking about purse you are meaning handbag??? here a purse is a female wallet, a small thing that carries the money. You put the purse into the handbag.

Yes, in the US a purse is what the British would refer to as handbag.

Most of the time - nothing. :)  I put my driver's licence and debit card in one pocket and my old flip phone in the other.  My keys are on a caribiner that I clip to a beltloop on my jeans.  Good to go. :D

If I do occasionally need more, quite often I'll just grab an old canvas bag (like the ones you often get free from conferences) and throw the extra stuff in it and go.  If I'm going on a long trip and need to take a lot more and keep it organized, I use this:

Sunwashed Canvas Messenger Bag from L. L. Bean

It's held up great and it's definitely not "bling-y". :)

I've used my Maxpedition Versipack for about 7 years now.  My cell phone, sunglasses, wallet, chapstick/lipgloss/rollerball perfume tube all of their own pockets now and I use the clip by the shoulder strap for my keys.  No digging around; I know where everything is!  It also transitioned perfectly into a lightweight diaper "day bag" - the zippered pocket behind the top flap holds a couple diapers and one of those slim wipe containers perfectly, and the middle cavity held a full size baby bottle, if I remember correctly.  It's not feminine looking by any means, but it is my organizing dream.  As an added bonus, it's withstood years of abuse and still looks like new.

It looks like a neat bag; I see they even have it in pink!

Ah!  I totally missed that!  I was even remarking to my husband earlier about all the different colors they offer it in now, compared to when I bought mine.  Thanks for pointing that out!  :hurray:

This is a dangerous thread.

As I looked up my purse to post a link, I learned that Sherpani no longer uses the wonderful durable water resistant nylon for this model, but has switched to fabric :-(

Which prompted me to hunt down the last batch of the old purses and buy a replacement... just in case.

I like my Vera tote. Lots of room to cram in stuff, three roomy side pockets, so I don't have to dig for keys and cell phone. Also the side pockets are a perfect fit for my handgun.

My friend gets amused at her pal carrying this pretty, floral Vera bag with a pistol tucked inside.

Before the Vera bag, I had a leather back pack style bag. It had pockets for pretty much everything, even my gun.