Menu

How to spot an American

caitlinsmom

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure, but I have tourist radar for visitors from various European countries. We live in a fairly small remote place but it's a quick stop for tour buses. I can spot them from quite a distance, before I can hear them speaking--something about their clothing, body types, expressions, etc. makes them stand out to me. I spent a summer working at an amusement park with lots of young adults from Slovakia, Russia, and Romania and I was able to spot them from among all the employees in their matching uniforms.

DD22 studied in England for a semester. Before she went she talked to lots of other students that had studied in England because she wanted to blend in. She was very careful to observe the way the locals acted and dressed. She told me that many times people were surprised that she was an American. DD told me that some of her fellow American students were difficult to be around in England because they paid no attention to the way the locals acted and were very obviously from out of the country.

I think it isn't the Americans are horrid (well, some are) it is just some are oblivious to the way people in other countries act. As the saying goes, "When in Rome".

The shoes.

I bought European shoes and blended right in when we lived over there.

This is so true, especially with men. I live in a city with lots of tourists. If I see a man with nice shoes, he is usually from another country!

I think it is easier for Americans to spot other Americans. We lived in Europe for 5 years. I sometimes had local people ask me for directions. I don't look typically "American." But, Americans and Europeans definitely dress differently, their hair is different, etc. I would be hard pressed to describe it in exact words.

I didn't find Americans *typically* to be louder or more lacking in manners than citizens of other countries.

I had a bad encounter with some Americans in Egypt, but also a German in Egypt.

I found Germans more likely to flout clothing rules in other countries than Americans.

We witnessed a scene between a waiter and an older British couple in a restaurant on Venice where finally several Americans finally intervened to explain the cultural divide.

American often think Europeans are rude and vice versa due to cultural differences. For example, in Germany it is typical for a customer to greet a shop worker instead of the other way around. You do not get the same type of service in restaurants. Over tipping is considered rude as an attempt to curry favor.

Well, I spend time in Spain when I was a student and people refused to believe I was American. I certainly don't look Spanish, but most people assumed I was French. When I told then no the next guess was English. Why? I spoke Spanish. It wasn't perfect, but I made a good effort and was happy to be corrected. I cannot tell you how amazed people were to meet an American who spoke (advanced basic) Spanish. They were of the opinion that Americans could not speak anything but English.

The fact that I did not smoke gave me away as American.

So, for those of us not in the know, could someone post a link to the appropriate footwear? I ask this in all seriousness.

It depends upon the country. Italian women wear fabulous shoes, pretty much all of the time. They wore fabulous high heels on our tour of Egypt, even when we had to walk quite a ways through the Valley of the Kings.

Germans tend to wear more leather and boots, even in summer, even when the temperature is over 90 degrees and there is no a/c anywhere.

French women tend to wear cute flats or sandals while shopping/touring/walking.

So, for those of us not in the know, could someone post a link to the appropriate footwear? I ask this in all seriousness.

From what DD22 tells me, no sneakers. DD wore boots most of the time (she was in England in the winter). The way I spot a "non-American" in my city is that the men wear really nice leather shoes, even when in jeans and a t-shirt.

I cannot tell you how amazed people were to meet an American who spoke (advanced basic) Spanish. They were of the opinion that Americans could not speak anything but English.

Yes. No matter where in the world I have traveled or lived, everyone is beyond amazed that I, as an American, speak reasonably decent French (used to speak Spanish too, but I'm rusty). In their minds, I'm an anomaly. I found this to be the case even if I was the first American they had ever met!

I do also make an effort to observe the habits and mannerisms of the locals and attempt to "fit in". I think most Americans are obvious because they make no effort to blend in and absorb the culture.

In Australia, I was wearing a shirt and shoes I bought there and some plain jeans. I walked by a couple of boys in a train station, and one said, "Yank." I still wonder what gave it away, as I didn't say anything. ETA: At the time, I weighed about 95 pounds. I'm an introvert and am not loud in speech or gestures. I am not large in any sense of the word. Most of the time I blended in pretty well when I wanted to while living in Oz.

Leather shoes for a short answer. (No flip-flops or sneakers or plastic/vinyl knock-offs of more famous brands.)

Yes. No matter where in the world I have traveled or lived, everyone is beyond amazed that I, as an American, speak reasonably decent French (used to speak Spanish too, but I'm rusty). In their minds, I'm an anomaly. I found this to be the case even if I was the first American they had ever met!

I do also make an effort to observe the habits and mannerisms of the locals and attempt to "fit in". I think most Americans are obvious because they make no effort to blend in and absorb the culture.

Is it really horrible that I want DD11 to learn Spanish and French so we can travel when she is older? I never learned a foreign language and I feel really uneducated because of this.

By the way DD22's boyfriend speaks French and will say the silliest things to her (like "I love to watch TV while I wash my socks") and I tell DD that while she is rolling her eyes at him all the other girls are swooning because all they know is that he is speaking French!

My Dutch fiancĂƒÂ©e (we broke up in 2000) informed me it was

Obesity.

And I quote, "We can always pick out the Americans because they are fat."

I really don't like to admit this but when I returned from Europe in 1984 after a three week trip my first thought was, "Wow, Americans are FAT!"

What I saw when I lived in Europe was that Americans were easy to spot because they tended to flaunt their Americanness. I witnessed one tour bus full of college students rolling through a little town on July 4th. The people were loudly singing their national anthem while hanging out the windows. Also, in tourist places I sat down and people watched with my sister. It was so easy to spot the Americans. For one thing, when the guide to the attraction/location asked the visitors who was American, Americans tended to raise their hands like an eager first grader. I know we aren't all like that, but some Americans are very easy to spot. When I lived in Europe I was told by locals how loud Americans are. They were surprised because I wasn't loud.

I can't tell you how many people have been denied entry to St Peter's Basilica in Rome for wearing shorts. Many every day. Almost all Americans.

I also remember hearing about American tour groups - students especially - in Italy and Spain who are very happy to make themselves at home in historic sites, sitting on the ground, laughing and snacking. Normal behavior for them, but making a complete spectacle of themselves compared to locals and other tourists.

All of this is not to bash Americans, tourists from other nations have their own annoying tendencies and "tells".

When I was a waitress I dreaded getting European tourists due to the notoriously TERRIBLE tips.

Hmmm, well I think its the volume of their voices and generally seeming really hyper and demanding all the time.

I used to work in a castle in Sussex owned by a Canadian university. They took both Canadian and American students. There was a massive difference between the nationalities. The Canadians were super friendly and easy going while the American students were really wild and seemed relatively immature. They really seemed to struggle with their new found freedom to drink alcohol. They tended to get themselves into trouble as a result.

I don't find it obnoxious, but I want to remember we as the saying typical and what we've noticed, which can get tricky when it leads to stereotyping.

That said, people here in Israel have mentioned more than once that they think we are from Germany. I don't know what the German type is, so I'm not sure if we should be offended! Lol

Stereotyping is stupid. It doesn't tell you anything about individual people. Not only is it often wrong about where someone actually comes from, it gets in the way of actually getting to know the person for who they are as an individual. I've been mistaken for French, Israeli, and in one rather funny rumor as having been raised Japanese and not being able to speak English. Of course some people have known that I was American. I don't know why some think I have each of these backgrounds and cultures. Should I be more proud of those times when someone doesn't think I"m American? I'm American. I don't think that is better than any other citizenship but I'm not ashamed of it either.

My son (14 at the time) made an interesting observation when we were in Rome: whenever he wore t-shirts or tops with pictures or logos on it, all the Italians knew he was a tourist. The few times he wore a button down shirt, or had his leather jacket zipped up all the way (so you couldn't see what he had on underneath) he was addressed in Italian many times.

I was also going to write shoes :) Europeans will often spend more on shoes than we do, but will have less pairs.

(And for what it's worth, Australians have their own issues when they travel in Europe; whenever we came across very drunk people in Italy or France, they typically turned out to be Aussies :glare: and occasionally Irish :leaving: )

Body language is a big thing. Americans tend to make larger gestures so that (even if not speaking) they feel 'louder'. Brits tend to wear more sombre colours. In St Andrews, the Americans are 'dressed for golf' in bright jackets, trousers, etc. with everything looking very new. Brits on the golf course tend to wear more low-tone clothes and they don't tend to look just-out-of-the-box new (I believe this is a choice, not a reflection of income - playing golf at St Andrews is not cheap).

I agree about shoes: white sports shoes are rarely worn here, and most people would choose something like Eccos or Clarks for comfortable shoes, rather than sports shoes in general.

Hope that helps

Husband (American) suggests getting a local haircut - styles vary worldwide.

ETA: baseball caps. There are Brits who wear them, but mostly the very young.

L

The shoes.

I bought European shoes and blended right in when we lived over there.

Yep, shoes. White gym shoes/tennis shoes are something most Europeans do not wear, especially in public. They do wear sneakers, but they are slim, light weight and usually leather or suede and either deep colors or very, very bright colors. They're also crazy comfortable! Before my mom came over for our cruise last year, I sent her 2 pairs of shoes to break in, because her shoes are mostly of the gym shoe type. I hate gym shoes! I own one pair and I wear them when I work out and never, never out.

Americans do tend to be loud, especially in restaurants. European restaurants in general, except pubs and brauhauses, tend to be quiet and people speak softly. Americans do not, but I think that's mostly because we're so used to our restaurants being loud (music!). Americans also switch their forks around when they cut their food and Europeans don't. Also, Americans tend to eat with our fingers. Unless it's from an imbiss (cart or quick service), Europeans eat with a fork, even fries and pizza. Even most imbiss places give you a really small wooden or plastic fork if you order fries. I didn't notice this a much in the UK, but it's really true on the Continent.

The hair is also different. Europeans tend to like more wild colors and wacky haircuts. Oh, and glasses. They like sleek eye glasses. No idea why. The fashions are different in many ways. The funny thing is that they are trying to wear American style fashion a lot of the time, but it has its own European look to it. It's hard to explain.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with being an American by any means, but when traveling to a foreign country, it's best to at least try to blend in for safety reasons. I don't think Americans are the worst tourists, but we are some of the loudest. Asian tour groups are the worst IME. They do not care if they cut you off from your own group or even your children and will push you out of the way to get a look at something. That's not to say the people are bad as a whole. Germans seem to be the ones who are the least concerned with the rules when they are outside of their own country.

Lucy, I was going to mention drunken Aussies in Europe - sadly an entirely justified stereotype.

In my limited experience, Americans are more flamboyant in their speech and gestures. "Big and loud" is the common American stereotype in Oz. BTW, we call you all "Yanks" or the less flattering "septics", a choice piece of rhyming slang (Yank, Yank, septic tank - started in WWII). You are more overtly polite than we are, which many Aussies assume is insincere. You also pay much more attention to grooming: American women have obviously styled hair and wear more make-up. You take HUGE hand luggage on planes. And you tip. Aussies are very stingy with tipping.

D

I'm an American living abroad in a high tourist area.

I can spot Americans by their carriage. And their size -not just weight, but height. We're just bigger overall. Germans and Swedes are next (though Swedish women are the tallest of all!).

Shoes - definitely. I changed my shoes and despite my overweight-ness I blended in much more. Hairstyle, glasses, jeans, tshirts - all giveaways.

But for me, it's the way different nationalities carry themselves. I can't explain it, but I know I when I see it.

When I was MUCH younger I went to France. I wore skirts or dresses the whole time, spoke as much French as I could, no sneakers (and I was skinny back then). I actually had to produce my passport a couple of times to convince people I was American. They all thought I was Scottish!

I read everything including post #36 (the last one as I begin to write this). Some of the posts have excellent observations. Yes, of course, we can usually spot Americans in a mall, from about one block... At the least, 1/2 block... The clothes and probably talking loudly in U.S. English. Shorts...

Many years ago, we knew a friend was in town. I'd spoken with him on the phone. My wife had no idea what he looked like. We were in the mall and my wife spotted an American man. She tells me, not believing this is true, "there's Frank!". I look around, and yell, "Hey, Frank!". Astonished wife then meets Frank...

IMHO, Americans should keep a very "low profile" when traveling. That reduces the risk of one being the victim of crime. I wear jeans and a t shirt and tennis shoes and nobody ever bothers me... I have lived here for 18 years and many many times, people have assumed that I am German. For them to guess that I am an American, would be their 3rd or 4th guess.

I would never wear shorts in the city, but I do see some Colombian men wearing them in the mall.

Going to a 3rd world country, and expecting things to be like they are in the USA/Canada/Europe is not a good plan. There is a reason this is called the 3rd world.

Knowing something about the history and customs, of the country one is going to visit would be a big help, to many tourists.

Know that the laws South of the Rio Grande (and in the majority of the world) are not like those in the USA. Things that would get one a kiss on the rear in the USA/Canada/Europe (Drugs) are treated seriously here. There is a jail in Bogota with a special section for foreigners. They complain about the conditions, and being incarcerated, because at home, they would not be in jail... They have much better conditions than the Colombians who are in that same jail.

Traffic laws are different here and if one is involved in a fatal accident, one should not be surprised to be placed in jail.

Colombian women, in the mall or supermarket, in Jeans, usually wear high heels...

Americans should register with the ACS (American Citizens Service) in the U.S. Embassy of the country they are visiting, before arrival or immediately after arrival. That can probably be done on the Embassy web site.

Don't ask "how much is that in real money" (meaning the U.S. Dollar, which has been very weak, for years)

Respect the local laws and the police. Many years ago, in Puerto Vallarta or Mazatlan, I saw the police, very reluctantly, take in a foreign tourist (I think she was German), because she would not give them the film in her camera. She had taken photos of something that was prohibited by Mexican law. That was in the days before everyone had a digital camera...

Don't be offended, South of the Rio Grande, by the word "Gringo". I hear that word, from my wife, frequently. And, if she is telling someone how to deliver something to our house, she tells them to deliver it to the "Gringos" house.. It will be delivered... (There are other foreigners where we live, but I am the only "Gringo")

You can be searched here. Occasionally there are traffic stops and the police (or military police) will frisk the men. Women are not searched, unless there is a female officer to do that.

Here, and in most of the world, it is mandatory that one carry identification, at all times, and present it to the police if they request that. That is also a requirement in the traffic stops I mentioned. If one does not have a "Cedula" (National identity card), one would be presumed to be bad... For a tourist, this means, sadly, a requirement to carry a Passport, with a valid visa in it. A photocopy of a passport or visa would not be accepted. Years ago, I heard about an American who carried a photocopy and he was placed in jail, until they could verify his identity.

Fingerprints are sometimes taken, in a bank, for example, when applying for a loan, or some other transaction. They might require a fingerprint. No fingerprint, no transaction...

DO NOT walk out of a luxury hotel in a 3rd world country (or any country...) carrying bags with the name of your hotel on them. And, do not walk out of luxury stores, advertising that you have purchased something very expensive. You can carry expensive things, in plastic bags, turned inside out, and nobody will suspect that you have something that is new or of value in the bag. If someone advertises that they are rich (and very stupid) that makes them a very attractive target for thieves or robbery.

I remember being in a restaurant in Oslo, Norway, by myself. There were 2 or 3 British men there. A very anti American group and very obnoxious... As many others in this thread have written, many other nationalities have people they should be ashamed of. The "Ugly Americans" are not the only ones...

If one respects the people one meets, in another country, they will probably be treated with respect and courtesy and the nationals will be very happy to have them as guests in their country.

I have been asked for directions, by the Police and other enforcement agencies, on several occasions. Sometimes, I tell my wife, "I was in town and someone asked me how to get somewhere and I told them". We think it is funny, that they are asking a foreigner, but I usually know the correct answer.

Do not carry U.S. Dollars with you and do not pay for something in a country where the legal currency is not U.S. Dollars with U.S. Dollars. If someone does accept U.S. Dollars, you will get a horrible exchange rate. Change your money in a bank or somewhere where it is legal. Learn what the local currency looks like. Use your credit card and you will get an excellent exchange rate.

There is one denomination of U.S. Currency, 50 or 100 dollar bills, that the U.S. Embassy in Bogota will not accept. There are some truly outstanding counterfeiters here in Colombia, and in other countries.

Try to learn a little about current events in the country you are visiting. And, about the relations between that country and the USA. If you are visiting a country that is not on friendly terms with the USA (2 examples would be Venezuela and Ecuador), know that that's a problem between governments. The local people will probably be very happy to meet you and have you in their country.

I really don't like to admit this but when I returned from Europe in 1984 after a three week trip my first thought was, "Wow, Americans are FAT!"

I had that same feeling when I left the military. Overweight by Army standards is entirely different than civilian overweight. You just get used to what you see every day and something different really pulls the eye.

IMNSVHO, what an obnoxious thread.

Alrighty then.

Body language is a big thing. Americans tend to make larger gestures so that (even if not speaking) they feel 'louder'.

I'm not loud, and I have a voice that doesn't carry we'll, but I DO talk with my hands. I never thought of it as an American thing. I guess it IS the things you don't think about tat give you away.

Interesting! I mentioned loud and manner less because a friend from Japan had regularly mentioned that. I figured that's where the Ugly American thing came from.

I can see how shoes and shorts would do it. When I worked for a large hotel long ago, foreign tourists always had the most beautiful shoes and sun dresses on. I rarely saw them in anything else. Other than church, I can't think of a time I see anyone I know in anything but capris and flip flops. :)

I have no idea why but I wod have figured the French would love bigger/extra tips. In fact for some crazy reason I figured it was required. Lol funny how something like that is unexplainably in your mind.

Thanks for all the replies. I knew it would be general observation I'd get but that does help be understand.

I have only met very few Americans. The main distinguishing thing for me was the way they chew gum. the loudness of the women's voices (though Canadian women have this too) and the amount and style of makeup. I also am ashamed about Aussies being identified by their drunkenness. It is a well known fact that lots of them behave like that :thumbdown:

Just curious how Europeans (and others) can spot an American? Just in case I ever find myself abroad.

I've always assumed it's because we are generally loud and mannerless but I am guessing there are other signs as well. :)

I've heard that the ability to be an a$$hole is pretty much global.

I'm thinking it would go over like a lead balloon if the title were "How to spot a/an__________."

(Fill in the blank with the conspicuous foreign tourist of your choice. We have them here too. :rolleyes: )

I'm thinking it would go over like a lead balloon if the title were "How to spot a/an__________."

(Fill in the blank with the conspicuous foreign tourist of your choice. We have them here too. :rolleyes:)

I've had to be a good sport about tons of 'spot Brits by their bad teeth' comments in my life. And the number of times my country has been described as 'socialist' on this board - it's not a word that I particularly object to, but the people using it definitely don't see it in a positive light.

Nothing I wrote was rude: I answered an honest question honestly.

L

Stereotyping is stupid. It doesn't tell you anything about individual people. Not only is it often wrong about where someone actually comes from, it gets in the way of actually getting to know the person for who they are as an individual. I've been mistaken for French, Israeli, and in one rather funny rumor as having been raised Japanese and not being able to speak English. Of course some people have known that I was American. I don't know why some think I have each of these backgrounds and cultures. Should I be more proud of those times when someone doesn't think I"m American? I'm American. I don't think that is better than any other citizenship but I'm not ashamed of it either.

Do you think the posters here who have identified ways that Americans are typically conspicuous are ashamed to be American? Really?

(Fill in the blank with the conspicuous foreign tourist of your choice. We have them here too. :rolleyes:)

I think if you look back over this thread all Aussie respondents have identified loud and clear the identifying trait of lots of Aussies abroad. I think you are being overly sensitive - each country has its identifying traits that are not so flattering.

And their size -not just weight, but height. We're just bigger overall.

I was noticing this this morning as I watched an American tourist board a bus: he was almost a head taller than the Scots around him. He was a bit overweight, but mostly he was just bigger. He was also wearing a bright jacket, very light coloured trousers and a baseball cap.

L

I agree completely! Bigotry is alive and well and apparently it's totally acceptable so long as it's directed at Americans. Good to know.

For what it's worth, I've hosted teens and adults through 4-H from European nations, Spain, Austria, and Germany to name three and have been treated like CRAP by the kids and the adults. Apparently, while Americans are supposed to automatically know all of the complexities of every culture they visit before stepping foot on the soil, we should not require the same from the other side, and when confronted with laws they do not like, "I am sorry. But the legal drinking age in Michigan is 21 and I cannot provide your child with wine at the evening meal." are permitted to cuss us out in both their home language as well as English. We stopped hosting for 4-H because we've been treated so hideously by the students and adults who have stayed in our home. Haughty would be a good term. However, it never occured to me in a million years to assume that all of the citizens of their home nations were like this or would treat others like this. It never occurred to me to choose to be a bigot based on such limited interactions.

For what it's worth, the kindest, nicest, friendliest individuals Dh works with from other nations are from India not Europe.

We are supposed to take our middle son to Europe next summer. This thread makes me NOT want to go. Obviously, I'm reviled for my American hips, white jogging shoes, and "american haircut" (whatever that is). The one thing I do know is that I'm not going to get in trouble with the law for refusing to provide cigarettes and alcohol to a 15 year old on my home soil. The tourists from Europe can just learn to live with that.

And Dot, I don't think I'm number 1 because I was born here, nor do any of my friends. I don't even know an IRL person who believes that.

Faith