Menu

We are all done

Wow! Congratulations!

I only have FIVE years to go. I know it will fly by, but right now, planning for next year, it still feels long.

Nan, you've been such an amazing boardie! I hope you don't leave the hive, and I hope you'll keep us apprised of what your adult kiddoes are doing.

Faith

Nan,

Congratulations!

I have appreciate every single one of your posts over the years. We are just starting highschool in the fall and I have learned so much from you (and others) on the board. Thanks to you I feel confident that we can do this and succeed. Thank you again. And please do keep us posted.

Hugs to you,

Susie

Yes Jane - bittersweet.

Don't worry. I need all of you. I'm now officially a self-ed-er. : )

Bugs, A canoe ride fixed the flat feeling I had after the graduation party and now I am just feeling exhausted from the push to get all the documentation in place. I have a lot of other stuff going on, so I can't let down yet, like a funeral to go to. I'm happy that youngest isn't going very far away to college. He just signed up for classes, which was exciting. He picked classes that are sort of a continuation of what I have tried to do with him at home, which is very satisfactory. I expect I'll crash when we get through the funeral and I can relax for summer, but I plan to have a good supply of books to escape into, which should help with that.

Nan

:hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

Nan, you have done an AMAZING job with your boys, including blazing a trail well off the beaten path — and in the end you've come out exactly where you hoped to be. You're an inspiration to me, and to many others here, and I'm so glad you'll be sticking around!

:grouphug:

Jackie

Congratulations! Add my list to the names of those who have treasured many of your posts for their insight and wisdom. I think you should take all that collected wisdom and write a book! After you've had your summer of relaxation.

Thank you so much, everyone!

Corraleno - You have no idea how much you shaped what I did by defining exactly which skills my youngest would need. That allowed me to scrap massive amounts of conventional textbook education and give that time to my son to work on his own projects.

Blsdmama - What does it feel like? Gwen's butterfly analogy is perfect. I feel like a caterpillar who is turning into a butterfly.

Nan

I have to ask... How do you feel about that?

I'm trying to imagine, to wrap my head around "done done" and with eighteen years left to go I can't do it.

Nan, you have done an AMAZING job with your boys, including blazing a trail well off the beaten path — and in the end you've come out exactly where you hoped to be. You're an inspiration to me, and to many others here, and I'm so glad you'll be sticking around!

Jackie

Oh, Nan... from one who has been appreciating your posts for many years (remember the old "old" boards? ) congratulations! Your sons are very fortunate to have you as their mother. And I'll add my voice to those who say "don't leave us"

Yes... the old old boards. : )

Yay. Congrats!

And do let us know what you are up to beyond homeschooling! I will be going along that path next year, and it is like a caterpillar imagining being a butterfly -- unimagineable!

Just quoting so people know I answered.

Running off to deal with the rest of that funeral and then I'll be back.

: )

Nan,

You have talked me down out of the panic and anxiety tree more times than I can count and have shown me that off-the-beaten path may actually be the perfect path for certain students and their teachers. :D I am inspired by your ability to continually reassess your student's progress and your willingness to change the course of action even when it involves an enormous leap in faith.

You have often given me the courage to follow my gut instincts in educating my youngest even when that path looks nothing like what anyone I know in real life is doing. And your tales of chainsaws, potato guns, and journeys down the coast in an unfamiliar boat in the dark have alternately left me laughing with glee and chewing my fingernails.

Congratulations on being at the end of this journey and doing such a fine job for your young men. You should be proud of all of you and congratulations to your dh too. It takes a certain strength of character to support a homeschooling spouse - especially one who follows unconventional methods.

Thank you for sharing all of your wisdom and experience and I look forward to hearing more. That's not an especially subtle hint, Nan, as Sailor Dude has three more years of high school. :tongue_smilie:

A community is only as strong as its members are, and Nan, you have guided so many on this unusual path. Thank you for all you have brought to the boards...the wisdom and wit, the honesty and insight. We are all better for reading so much of what you have generously shared!