Menu

How old is too old to be wearing a mini-skirt?

Luanne

Mini-skirts  

191 members have voted

1. 1. How old is too old to be wearing a mini-skirt?

• any age is fine
    • other
    • nobody should wear a mini-skirt

Some things never get old.

I know a lady who is easily in her late 70's or early 80's who can ski circles around me, rides her horse daily and volunteers 5-6 days a week. She can totally rock a mini-skirt and leggings, too. And I am certainly not going to tell her what she can wear - I hope that I am as cool as she is when I get to be that age.

So, you spend your time and effort just trying not to kill someone? :lol:

Judging from some threads on here, the "honor thy mother and father" commandment might not be so popular. ;) Cough.

Anyhoo, I don't really care what other people do, but I don't think most of us look that great in them. My grandma is scandalized by people who wear skirts but not pantyhose. ;)

I suppose it depends on how mini the skirt is. If you have to worry that your panties or (no-panties) will show every time you sit down or get out of a vehicle, your skirt is too short no matter what your age. (If you're wearing leggings or some other pants underneath a skirt, I don't think it's quite the same thing as "wearing a mini-skirt.") Swimsuits with swim-minis are an exception.

Judging from some threads on here, the "honor thy mother and father" commandment might not be so popular. ;) Cough.

Anyhoo, I don't really care what other people do, but I don't think most of us look that great in them. My grandma is scandalized by people who wear skirts but not pantyhose. ;)

My parents raised me to be a sassy and disobedient activist, and I totally obeyed them on that one!

ETA:

This is my 1000th post. Yeehawwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :grouphug: :hurray: :hat: :driving: :drool5: :grouphug: :hurray:

The reason I ask is there was a woman standing outside the library when I arrived... she was at least 60 (not beautiful legs at all) and was wearing a mini-skirt just long enough to cover her undies. It looked ridiculous to me... but maybe that is just me.

Actually I remembered what my grandma was complaining about most recently, was her elderly friend who was wearing capris... without pantyhose. Ha ha. I was like, "Um, I've never seen anyone wear pantyhose with capris!" But my grandma was scandalized by the lack of pantyhose. How could I forget that?

I don't even use the word "pantyhose" normally, just to clarify. I am just quoting her.

stripe, I love your grandma. My grandma thinks I'm scandalous because we home educate. She thinks it is illegal (Texas, lol) but gives me the wink wink about it. Her parents were bootleggers, so she thinks I'm like an educational bootlegger. She finds it charming that she thinks I'm breaking the law and getting away with it. SCANDALOUS!!!

Guest inoubliable

Eh. Once you're out of college, I guess. What's the point past then? You've mostly likely partied all of your miniskirt days away by then, right?

I love my grandma too. :) My grandma is a firm believer in knee-highs (knee-his?). She is scandalized that I don't wear them. Ha. Speaking of her, she asked me a while ago if I am "planning to homeschool." I've been homeschooling my oldest for several years now, but I think she thinks I'm just pretending. Anyway she confided in me that I can get boxes of stuff for free from the state for homeschooling. She does not live in the same state as me, incidentally.

Eta I will spare you the link I once posted of an old man in a mini skirt. It was really disturbing.

Depends on what you mean by mini-skirt.

How far above the knees are we talking?

2"...any age can wear

4"...under 30 or a fit under 40yo

6"...definitely under 30

This "lady" had one on that was at least 6" above her knees and she was close to 60 years old. It was not pretty.

Age doesn't matter. There are women of every age that can legitimately pull it off. Remember Tina Turner in the 80's?

Exactly.

Unless it involves some sort of panda face on the tush.

Then it is just going too far.

I chose other. I think it depends on how you look in them. Some older women look better than some younger women. Additionally, if they are so short that they demand constant attention to keep your undies from showing, then they're not appropriate at any age.

Exactly.

Unless it involves some sort of panda face on the tush.

Then it is just going too far.

What if if the face isn't on the tush? I'll wear this to the next HS conference so you can all find me. Of COURSE this is a picture of me. Not bad for 41.

E4C043A5-E633-42E4-BC43-7D15BF988107-4187-00000C95D4B9DF46.jpg

I think they are for a specific body type. I also think that they aren't for anyone past the age of 16 or maybe 18ish. I have the body to get away with it, but I like to dress in a way that gives a sense of maturity. Perhaps if I was going out for a night with the girls I might wear one with some leggings, but even then, they just don't feel like the sort of statement that I'm trying to make with my clothes. Although I suppose one would have to be self confident to wear them. Or perhaps the opposite and they are looking for attention and for someone to boost their self confidence.

stripe, I love your grandma. My grandma thinks I'm scandalous because we home educate. She thinks it is illegal (Texas, lol) but gives me the wink wink about it. Her parents were bootleggers, so she thinks I'm like an educational bootlegger. She finds it charming that she thinks I'm breaking the law and getting away with it. SCANDALOUS!!!

This is my favorite post of the day.

I do think the mini skirt needs to be longer than it is wide

I remember my mom wearing tube tops when I was a kid. I am not happy to see their return, nor am I impressed with the look of people who wear them with a strapped bra underneath.

My stepmother is in her 60s, has great legs (danced a lot) and would look brilliant in a miniskirt. I like this feature which runs weekly in my newspaper - the skirts in these photos happen not to be that short, but I think they would be fine shorter. My legs aren't so great and I wouldn't risk it.

Laura

Actually I remembered what my grandma was complaining about most recently, was her elderly friend who was wearing capris... without pantyhose. Ha ha. I was like, "Um, I've never seen anyone wear pantyhose with capris!" But my grandma was scandalized by the lack of pantyhose. How could I forget that?

I don't even use the word "pantyhose" normally, just to clarify. I am just quoting her.

I have a dear friend who is somewhere in her early-mid 60s who wears pantyhose with capris, even if she's wearing open-toe sandals. The only time I've seen her not in pantyhose is if she's in jeans and sneakers or exercise clothes.

I think if a lady is toned and fit and has nice legs, she can pull off a mini skirt. I'm past the point where I'd feel comfortable wearing them even if they looked good on me (which they don't) but I wouldn't care about someone wearing them if they can pull off the look.

I never let my kids wear skirts without shorts or at least tights under them, ever. Mini or otherwise. (We didn't flash diapers either - I was brought up to view that as kinda hillbilly.) Personally I haven't worn a mini skirt since they were in fashion back in the - what - 1960s or 1970s (no later than primary school). In those days I had a skatin' skirt that had matching undies in case I fell and gave everyone a free show. ;) If my kids tried wearing a mini skirt without shorts out of the house, we'd be having a talk. Honestly, I think they are gross.