Menu

How old is too old to be wearing a mini-skirt?

Luanne

Mini-skirts  

191 members have voted

1. 1. How old is too old to be wearing a mini-skirt?

• any age is fine
    • other
    • nobody should wear a mini-skirt

I'm not a fan of the "cougar" look but there are definitely some middle-aged women who can rock a mini as part of an age-appropriate outfit. If you're 52 and dressing like you're a 22 y.o. clubhopper, that's a "no". Kris Jenner of the Kardashian/Jenner clan comes to mind. If you're 52 and trying to highlight your great legs but still look like a mature adult, then fine.

I do not have time to give a crap what age some miniskirt wearer is.

As long as they are not dangling their bits in my personal space, I do not care what they do. I'm too busy making sure my kids are not running naked through the neighborhood and that my right shoe does indeed match my left.

Is a golf or tennis skirt considered a mini-skirt? I see quite elderly women wearing such clothing and I think they look just fine. I also think any age can wear sporty skirts.

Not sure why you got to dress like a nun because you're not 25 anymore.

Cottage cheese? Women are their own worst enemies. Don't look. How about we lock up the elderly or ban them from public pools and water aerobics classes as well.

I'm really cracking up today with the threads about mini-skirts and age, and what is considered fat (ala the Nigella thread). I wear what some might consider "mini skirts" and I'm 50 (gasp!). But, IMO, they are not "mini" - rather mid-thigh or about 6 inches above the knee. Some women at church are scandalized by my clothing! I also wear the Title9 styles (golf skirts, etc.).

For those youngsters on here who think that they will/can still have the upper arms of a 30 year old when they are 50 - I can tell you it doesn't happen...at least not without a huge effort. And lack of toning does not equal fat. Our bodies, in the declining years, simply don't do what they did earlier. Hormones change things (or lack of hormones), our bodies refuse to do what our minds think they can still do, and we must work so much harder now than we ever did to see the same level of improvement. And when we stop working, things go south (literally) much more quickly than before. Sure there are women who have genetics that keep them looking great well into their 70s and 80s. There are also women who can afford the time and money to work out and eat healthy, but there are fewer of those than the average woman. I'm all for keeping what I've got in the best shape possible...and, frankly, it's in better shape than many of the 20 and 30 somethings I'm around daily.

I pick styles of clothing and colors that I like and that I look good in and I keep in mind the idea of not being offensive (in a very general sense because there is always someone who chooses to be offended by something). If my boys don't cringe when I show myself, I think the rest of the world will/should be OK with my choice. Usually I'm my worst critic :)

The problem I have is that the styles I'm attracted to are not the best styles for my body type. The red dress Nigella is wearing is the style that looks good on me, but I'm more drawn to the flapper styles. I've got curves, but I don't see myself as that type. I see Nigella as exotic, sophisticated, very feminine, and definitely not a tom-boy. I am the opposite of those so I find myself looking good in something that makes me feel like someone I am not.

FWIW, women who dress according to what they expect is expected of their age often come off looking dowdy and tired. So if a 70 year old looks fine in a mini, I'm good with it.

Being blessed with short, stumpy legs, a mini skirt at any age looks bad. My MIL looks great in a mini at 72. Now flashing the belly at any age past 25 doesn't look good unless it's on the beach, and even after a certain age that doesn't look too good either.

Yesterday in the market I saw an older woman 60+ in good shape wearing a tummy bearing shirt. It just looked bad.

Did anyone already say this and I missed it? According to the What Not to Wear fashion gurus, 35 is the limit for regular people. Of course there will always be exceptions to the rule.

Not to be unkind, but who cares?

What do they suggest for golf or tennis? What do they consider 'mini'? The woman on what not to wear bugs the crud out of me. I've seen the show a handful of times, and she looks well over 35, but I've never seen her sporting anything but short skirts and dresses.

Not to be unkind, but who cares?

What do they suggest for golf or tennis? What do they consider 'mini'? The woman on what not to wear bugs the crud out of me. I've seen the show a handful of times, and she looks well over 35, but I've never seen here sporting anything but short skirts and dresses.

Those are just the fashion industry standards, that's all. There are fashion minded people who make their livings off of figuring out what looks best on people at what time in their lives. If the OP was genuinely curious, then 35 would be your basic answer.

But as this thread has shown, there's a lot of wiggle room and exceptions.

The hostess on that show is smug a lot of the time, but the people end up looking much better after she's done with them. I'd trust her general advice.

Being blessed with short, stumpy legs, a mini skirt at any age looks bad. My MIL looks great in a mini at 72. Now flashing the belly at any age past 25 doesn't look good unless it's on the beach, and even after a certain age that doesn't look too good either.

Yesterday in the market I saw an older woman 60+ in good shape wearing a tummy bearing shirt. It just looked bad.

There are lots of things in the world which look 'bad'. A 60 year old woman in 'good shape' is not on my list of what I think looks bad. The disposable homeless old woman on the street is bad; seeing a healthy 'old woman' in 'good shape' buying vegetables needs to be off the judge-y radar.

Ok, the thing I am most vain about are my legs. I have some very nice legs. That said, I am too much of a tom boy to pull off the type of sitting and bending etc needed to be reasonably decent looking in many a miniskirt. When I was really young I did the thick wooly tights+wool miniskirt thing in the fall/winter. I might be open to that again with some great clunky boots, provided I ever find some decent boots again that don't cost an arm and a leg. But light summery skirts I prefer to be close to or at/just below the knee (so not at all mini!) so I am not flashing everyone when I invariably futz up and need that extra cloth to cover my drawers. ;)

Well. It is true that I wish people would not be judge -y or offended by what older folks might choose to wear because one doesn't like what aging looks like. If old people wearing purple-- or showing legal skin bothers-- don't look. :)

If a person asks specifically, 'Hey, are flesh- colored panty hose in or out?", the question illustrates that the one asking cares about what is currently ' fashionable'. in that case, I think it perfectly ok to answer from a ' fashion' standpoint.

But. This was a poll, and a provocative one at that.

The arbitrary judge-y -ness about finding 'cottage cheese ' skin ( or wrinkles) offensive is just rude. Leave people be. I'm pretty sure most of us here wouldn't be even close to the epitome of catwalk perfection. :)

I think it would help to define miniskirt. When I hear that, I picture some hot pink spandex thing that goes exactly one inch past crotch level. Not just any shortish skirt.

This is almost identical to the ones I used to use as a wardrobe staple. Though, I think my favorite might have been a hair shorter. About 8-9 inches above the top of the knee on me (I am tall.)

http://m.kaboodle.com/reviews/button-wool-mini-skirt

I don't much go for shiny pink garments. Not my style.

You will have to define 'mini' skirt. My mom calls a mini skirt anything above the knee. I consider a mini-skirt anything that hardly covers your underwear. So, we'd have to come to a common definition before any opinion really matters.

If your look good in a skirt then go for it no matter the age. My son's ballet teacher has got to be 60, and that woman rocks a short skirt like no other! If I had a body like that I might be tempted to walk around in a bikini.

In the summer, I wear my skirts a couple inches above the knee but not to mid-thigh.

And have you ladies tried the skort? I just bought a couple from Lands End and I am In Love! No worries about standing up or sitting down and very comfortable. I don't want to wear anything else this summer.

I get that women's legs don't improve with age. Muscle tone declines, skin loses elasticity, veins and age spots appear, etc.

But I see women at our tennis club playing in short skirts- that is appropriate and comfortable. What else is a 70 year old tennis player to do? I hope I am that active at their age.

Getting old is humbling. No 75 year old looks good compared at a 30 year old. You just do the best you can and get over it.

I would not wear a really short skirt except the skirt kind for running, walking, working out. But I don't care if someone else does.

I'm going to be 32 this year and I'm a little overweight. I'm wearing a skort that could easily be called a "mini skirt" today because:

1. It's hot outside and

2. I look really cute in it

I'm a pretty modest dresser, but to each their own. If someone can rock a mini at 60, more power to them. If they can't and still decide to wear it, then who really cares? Posts like this seem mean spirited to me.

Did anyone already say this and I missed it? According to the What Not to Wear fashion gurus, 35 is the limit for regular people. Of course there will always be exceptions to the rule.

But, they are talking about MINI skirts, where your average person often considers an above the knee skirt to be a mini skirt (as evidenced by the frequent mention of Title IX and tennis skirts). They often recommend skirts just above the knee to women over 35 on the show.

Not all mini skirts or women are created equal. I don't wear my skirts as short as I did in my twenties. I have never seen them recommend long skirts for short women on the show.

I like the responses of how you don't have time to worry about what other people wear and yet you have the time to come on here and seemingly bash me. Interesting!

Why do you constantly take disagreement as bashing or attacking you on a personal level? I have noticed this from you on a great number of threads. Nobody is bashing you. It begs the question of why you would ask questions on a diverse board, if you do not seek diverse opinions.

I voted other, because I would have said 'any age is fine' with the thought that if one can pull it off, they can wear it. But then I thought maybe it would be kind of weird for a 70 year old? Idk...

If it's done well, and they can pull it off, any age is fine.

But for most people, I'd say the cut off would be...50? No idea really...

I'm going to be 32 this year and I'm a little overweight. I'm wearing a skort that could easily be called a "mini skirt" today because:

1. It's hot outside and

2. I look really cute in it

I'm a pretty modest dresser, but to each their own. If someone can rock a mini at 60, more power to them. If they can't and still decide to wear it, then who really cares? Posts like this seem mean spirited to me.

In what way is asking, "Do you think there is an age when women should no longer wear mini-skirts?" mean spirited?

I think it's a fitness thing, not an age thing. Even when I could pull off a mini, I have glowing white legs. I rarely tan anymore and it was just too stark of a look without tights or leggings.

If you're 70 and playing tennis wear a mini. If you're fit and worked hard to get there, wear a mini.

I do think clingy spandex hot pink skirts have an age limit, or maybe a purpose limit.

I don't like miniskirts and never wore them myself. However, I went somewhere today and saw a woman I know who's in her mid 40's and she was wearing a miniskirt. She looked great in it. I really want to be jealous and dislike her, but she's just too nice. I guess any age is fine if you can make it look good.

I disagree that people need to have particular anatomical attributes to wear certain types of clothing. My upper arms do not stop moving when I do, but I refuse to give up my tank tops.

Good for you. My friend posted this on his Facebook:

Q: How do I get a bikini body?

A: Buy a bikini. Put it on.

I guess I am just too practical. First, I believe that it is not my business what others wear, nor is it their business what I wear. Secondly, any article of clothing that requires lots of adjusting, sitting in a particular way, does not enable me to bend or sit on the floor if need be, etc. is an irritating annoyance to me. And finally, I don't understand the benefit of wearing a miniskirt. Is it to look attractive? I don't think the majority of wearers I have seen have gotten that memo. Aren't we supposed to be all about being strong, healthy and empowered? Why would we need a skirt that promises a forbidden peek to achieve any of those things?

Regarding older women wearing minis, I don't find it attractive, but who cares about my opinion? I'm not trying to date any of these ladies, so it doesn't matter whether or not I find them attractive. It is one thing for a woman of any age to wear traditional sports or casual clothing that is comfortable to them and enables them to participate in healthy activities. It is quite another to see a person of any age wear something that is illfitting and uncomfortable, in the desperate hope of calling the attention of others to themselves. Ick.

I do wish more women would grasp the fact that frequently, leaving more to the imagination and revealing less is much more attractive than revealing every inch legally permissible. I have been working with my dd on this topic and I think she finally gets it. I have pointed out to her that in some low cut jeans and tight tops, even very slender girls look like they have significant "spare tires". However, in jeans with a slightly higher waist band and a slightly looser top, the same girl looks slender as a willow (and I suspect, is much more comfortable!)