Menu

You know you are getting old, when...

bnbacademy

you are impulsively clothes shopping with your 10 year old ds and he says, "that looks like a Grandma shirt". I actually thought it was rather contemporary. Then, upon closer inspection, he actually was right! I better take him with me more often...

Feel free to add any other warning signs...

you are impulsively clothes shopping with your 10 year old ds and he says, "that looks like a Grandma shirt". I actually thought it was rather contemporary. Then, upon closer inspection, he actually was right! I better take him with me more often...

Feel free to add any other warning signs...

Your roots used to be dark under your highlights. Now they are white.

You can no longer read a menu and start carrying around reading glasses I am one step to being one of those old ladies that wear glasses around her neck.

Related: You have never worn reading glasses because you can read under your glasses. But one day, as you are squinting, a friend says, "Hey, try these readers!" and you say, "Oh wow! That's GREAT!"

I was flipping around on the TV the other day and landed on the Ellen show. Ellen pulls out some cards to read stuff from some fans, and lo and behold....she pops on a pair of readers first.

ELLEN DeGENERES needs readers!!!

The years have FLOWN by!

... you yell "I'll call the cops if I see you in this street again!" at a kid on a bike. (Admittedly, I was pretty sure he was about to smash the window of a parked car, as this happened during the week, and he was behaving very suspiciously. Still made me feel very old!)

your child is having a problem with the DVD and you tell them "turn the VCR on and off" and they look at your puzzled and ask "What's a VCR?" :huh:

Our library carries a lot of VHS tapes, and when we went to watch one a while back, Rebecca had to ask which end went in first. :huh:

You know you're getting old when the music you listened to as a kid ends up on the "oldies" station. :huh: Come on, the 80's weren't THAT long ago!

You realize your kids have no concept of waiting until a certain time to watch a tv show. We have had either Direct TV with a DVR or Netflix during my kids' lives. No waiting until 8pm for their favorite show to come on for them!

Or running super fast to the kitchen (or bathroom) during commercial spots, since there was no PAUSE function!

Our library carries a lot of VHS tapes, and when we went to watch one a while back, Rebecca had to ask which end went in first. :huh:

You know you're getting old when the music you listened to as a kid ends up on the "oldies" station. :huh: Come on, the 80's weren't THAT long ago!

I heard Bon Jovi on the "classic rock" station!

...A pennant you hung up on your walls in your bedroom as a kid is found in an antique store (true story, my mom runs the alberta amateur wrestling association. In the 80s and early 90s they had pennants promoting the sport and I had one on my bedroom wall, last summer I checked out an antique store about 30 minutes from here (1.5 hours away from where I grew up) and low and behold there was the same pennant in the antique store) since when is the 80s an antique

...You proclaim it is way past your bedtime, and when looking at the clock realize it's only 830pm

...shoes are bought for comfort not style

...you start a sentence with "back when I was your age..."

...1 drink leaves you tipsy (remember the days when you could drink for hours without barely getting a buzz)

...you find toys and numerous other items from your childhood while shopping at antique stores.

Or you wish your mom hadn't trashed all your old toys so that you could currently:

a. reap the benefits of having cool vintage toys w/o breaking the bank trying to buy them all back

or

b. sell them for a nice amount if you wanted to

OR you have a brother who claims that all the Star Wars figures and toys were all his alone and he's not sharing, including the Star Wars sheet that he just uses as a lining in the back of his car and likes to flaunt it.

My preschooler took an eye test where they used symbols and shapes instead of letters. Dog, triangle, airplane, etc. There was a picture of an old-fashioned rotary phone and she guessed ".... spaceship?"

Our classic rock station played a Smashing Pumpkins song the other day. My mom was cracking up at me yelling at the radio that it *can't* be classic rock, because I remember buying the CD (classic rock should come off albums, let's be honest) as soon as it came out. She laughed harder when I said, "What? It was only, like, 17 years ago!" I still say the station was in the wrong.

I love my reading glasses - i use them as a hair band! Other moms on homeschooling boards are young enough to be my kids.

i was panicking because a 'classic rock' station was playing songs which came out after my oldest was born - but someone told me the station had actually changed their format.

Our classic rock station played a Smashing Pumpkins song the other day. My mom was cracking up at me yelling at the radio that it *can't* be classic rock, because I remember buying the CD (classic rock should come off albums, let's be honest) as soon as it came out. She laughed harder when I said, "What? It was only, like, 17 years ago!" I still say the station was in the wrong.

Yes, I am a firm believer that true classic rock is from the 70s. Not 80s hair bands and certainly not Smashing Pumpkins!

I love my reading glasses - i use them as a hair band! Other moms on homeschooling boards are young enough to be my kids.

i was panicking because a 'classic rock' station was playing songs which came out after my oldest was born - but someone told me the station had actually changed their format.

One of the moms in my group is young enough to be my daughter. There is a larger age difference between me and her than me and my mom. She has three kids, I could be grandma!

That doesn't stop us from being friends though. We're going together to get a new piercing in the next week or two. :)

Years ago, when I was only in my 30s, I was listening to a new-to-me radio station in the car, and thinking, hey, I'm not so out of it as I thought! I know these tunes! Then the radio guy came on and said, "We've come to the end of our RESURRECTION HOUR...." :svengo:

I constantly see people in Trader Joe's who are walking middle aged caricatures of my college classmates.

Or running super fast to the kitchen (or bathroom) during commercial spots, since there was no PAUSE function!

When I read aloud to my boys, they would sometimes holler, "pause" so they could run to the bathroom. To me. Their mother.

...when you are discussing the first moon landing in science and tell the DC how excited you were to watch the original on TV. Live. At which time they start grilling you on other history you might have witnessed. The Normandy invasion? The Crusades? (Note: to boys, the only really interesting history involves weapons and fighting).

You can no longer read a menu and start carrying around reading glasses I am one step to being one of those old ladies that wear glasses around her neck.

I always thought it was so cool when that elegant older lady had a pair of readers on an antique chain. I was terribly excited when I got my first pair of reading glasses. I have a pair in every room. They're the cheap ones, though. I'm too cheap to buy a pair I'd be proud to wear around my neck on an antique chain.