Menu

R.E.M. fans... (and anyone who has heard "Losing my Religion")

nmoira

Can you make it through more than a minute of this without feeling completely creeped out? This is identical to the original song, except that's it's been shifted into the major.

It left me *very* uncomfortable.

http://vimeo.com/57685359

I stopped it at 1:00 because my husband next to me couldn't take it. He says it's weird. I think it's weird too but am interested in hearing more. I could have sworn I'd heard a major version before but maybe not--it's not familiar enough.

Now I need to listen to Stand. I love Stand. :) Have never liked this one much, but I love REM generally.

I went to find the original video to wash this out of my brain, and the first comment on the original says, "Came here because I heard the redone "major" version and needed perspective." Lol...

My best friend and I once watched the entirety of the It's Pat movie waiting for Mitch Pileggi to show up (don't ask), which he did, right at the very freaking end. It. Was. Horrible. Beyond horrible. We had no choice to watch Raiders right afterwards, and then Before Sunrise, to restore our faith in humanity. Worst movie ever. And I've seen Caligula.

Aside: I used to know someone who was the spitting image of Pat, right down to the shirt.

Oh, my. I just started laughing. I don't think I've ever heard anything more awkward. I called DH in here to listen. He sat there and stared in horror at the computer, saying, "Oh, it's wrong! So wrong! What did they do?!" He's nearly in tears and doesn't understand why I'm laughing. He says what they've done to REM is like hitting a kitten with a sledgehammer. (He doesn't know about kitten-killing around these parts, so I thought his description was 1uite apropos.)

I probably wouldn’t have noticed it was different if you hadn’t told me. Since you did tell me, it sounded a little off but not awkward or uncomfortable.

I think I’m tone-deaf though for what that’s worth.

This is exactly what I was thinking!

It works against me in so many ways, you know the belty high note singing? It all sounds bad to me, so if I'm watching a singing competition with DH he has to tell me which ones are bad and which aren't.

I agree with the "too happy" and "country music cover" comments. The minor tones of the original make it sound angsty and deep. Hearing it in the major made me laugh... it sounds like a Sesame Street song now.

This is a good way to put it. The song didn't bother me though. I thought it was kind of funny, like I feel sorry for these guys trying to do something good but just missing the mark. I know that's their intention but I feel sorry for them anyway. :)

I agree with the "too happy" and "country music cover" comments. The minor tones of the original make it sound angsty and deep. Hearing it in the major made me laugh... it sounds like a Sesame Street song now.

This was it. Sounds like the switchup you'd do in church, Minor - angst, filled lonely solo -no religion. Major- choir swaying back and forth - happy, found their religion. So, no the major does not work for that song, period.

I was not a REM fan but do know the song. It was different and not in a good way. I like the original better but as someone said, there are those GLEE remakes that just annoy me to all out. And I hate hearing lots of songs ruined. Not that all remakes are bad, at all. There are many that I do like. But not this one.

I am in complete agreement. The lyrics say, "Gloom, despair, and agony on me!" But the music says, "Happy days are here again!"

And I now have images of Elmo dancing around and singing this song going through my head! Noooooo! Make it stop! :tongue_smilie: