Menu

Seriously people, why do you let your children climb UP the slide?

skeeterbug

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The "safer" they make the playgrounds by eliminating all the fun parts, the more likely kids are to find ways to use the equipment that the designers didn't intend. Just sayin.

I think most of the stress and annoyance over kids on the playground is from some sense that you have to do something about them. I personally let my kids figure it out among themselves. They've gotten a face full of feet before. :) And not minded.

There is a trend here for something called "natural play spaces." These "playgrounds" are really just that -- some ground on which to play. I'm not kidding. They build a few artificial hills with very gentle slopes and not too high in a few places. And, that's the playground. BUT, you apparently can't have trees in a "natural play space" because that would encourage climbing and they might hurt themselves.

They claim that children "just love these kinds of play spaces" because it fosters "imaginative play." Well, yeah, if I were a kid and just had that to play on, I'd have to be imagining all kinds of things -- like why the heck there isn't anything to play on there!

I think it's terribly sad.

ETA: I just remembered that someone had once tried to explain that part of the rationale for "natural play spaces" was to help kids appreciate nature. Umm... we live in the middle of boonie-nowhere-country. If the kids aren't appreciating nature it surely isn't for lack of running around in it every. single. everlovin' day of their lives.

OP here. I was completely joking with this thread. <snip>

Hmm, okay. You might want to add a smilie to "joke" posts. There are plenty of parents who feel that way in all seriousness (see my post re dirt and disney!), and people tend to get a little annoyed at being told a post that they spent time answering was just a joke all along.,

There is a trend here for something called "natural play spaces." These "playgrounds" are really just that -- some ground on which to play. I'm not kidding. They build a few artificial hills with very gentle slopes and not too high in a few places. And, that's the playground. BUT, you apparently can't have trees in a "natural play space" because that would encourage climbing and they might hurt themselves.

They claim that children "just love these kinds of play spaces" because it fosters "imaginative play." Well, yeah, if I were a kid and just had that to play on, I'd have to be imagining all kinds of things -- like why the heck there isn't anything to play on there!

I think it's terribly sad.

ETA: I just remembered that someone had once tried to explain that part of the rationale for "natural play spaces" was to help kids appreciate nature. Umm... we live in the middle of boonie-nowhere-country. If the kids aren't appreciating nature it surely isn't for lack of running around in it every. single. everlovin' day of their lives.

Actually, I have an interest in play space design. I personally really like the natural design play spaces I've seen and my kids do as well so I don't find them sad at all. Perhaps the fact that we live n an urban area effects my thinking somewhat. And I have seen them poorly done too, but my kids do play creatively in more open ended spaces and when the small elements of a natural play space are next to a more traditional playground, such as a ring of rocks, my kids and their friends make great use of that sort of thing. What I personally find sad is the commercial play equipment paradigm and lack of variety in playground design.

http://playgrounddesigns.blogspot.com/ - for anyone interested, this playground blog rocks.

Sorry, everyone. I really was just trying to lighten things up and give us something else to think about. I didn't imagine that anyone would get upset over it. I posted this morning (I'm on the other side of the world) and when I checked later there were pages. I guess I must go back and edit the original post. :blushing:

Okay, so now we all know that either A.) skeeterbug realized she's being far too uptight and is embarrassed so came back to make out like it was a prank all along. Or, B.) don't trust posts by skeeterbug to be her true opinion.

;)

*Note the winky...so that skeeterbug knows I'm not being serious and just being silly. ;) ;)

So. . . if you're post backfired and was totally misunderstood why didn't you post right away to clear things up? Is it fun to start a kerfuffle? Make your life a bit more exciting? Not to mention that I don't quite understand why you would think that posting something that you don't agree with is fun anyway.. .

Yeah. Not cool.

My favorite piece of playground equipment when I was little was a giant barrel thing that rolled within a housing. My uncles (my parents were both oldest children and married young so my uncles and aunts were all teenagers) would run in it and we would just sort of roll around until someone got injured, then we'd move on to something else,

:banghead:

OP here. I was completely joking with this thread. I was actually going to post a thread about why in the world won't people let their children climb up the slide but this was more fun. And we need more fun on the board right now. Unfortunately many won't see this post explaining things and every time they see my userid now will remember me as that uptight parent who won't let their kids climb up the slide. :001_unsure: Really, I promise I let my kids climb up. Only rule is not while others are waiting to come down, and be careful if there are little ones around.

I was at someone's house once and she would not let her kids climb up the slide in their backyard. She kept repeating to them 'Slides are for going down." :confused1: :confused1: :confused1: Um, okay. I don't know her anymore, I really hope she got over that.

And I get many glares for letting my kids go barefoot at the playground. :toetap05:

See, it isn't so fun now that I've explained myself!

I don't get this AT ALL. this post and your original are just so pot stirring and......... Odd. Really.

;) :biggrinjester:

ETA: the smilie faces are a sarcastic joke.

In addition to incorrectly trans-versing playground slides, I've actually allowed my kids to run the wrong way on airport travellators and even run up the down escalator a time or two. Those over 18 have all gone on to live law abiding lives and are responsible members of society.

Well, I have to have some sympathy for OP again. Whether her joke was well-done or not, can't people just roll their eyes and move on? I honestly don't think it's necessary to comment on one's lack of appreciation for another person's post, especially when the person claims to have had innocent intent.

I recall a post I made on an adoption forum that got me thoroughly reamed. Some comments I'd meant to be "tongue-in-cheek" were taken the wrong way. I was talking about my then-10mo gaining too much weight and what others' experience had been as far as managing this. Because of the way I innocently worded a couple of quips, I was accused of all manner of child abuse and hating my child and having food disorders myself etc. etc. Lord. It was one of the most hurtful things I ever experienced (especially since I knew some of those folks in real life). I explained myself and lots of folks "came to my rescue," but it was still really hurtful.

Point being, give folks the benefit of the doubt that if they say they've been unintentionally awkward. Don't rub it in. It doesn't help anything.

Well, I have to have some sympathy for OP again. Whether her joke was well-done or not, can't people just roll their eyes and move on? I honestly don't think it's necessary to comment on one's lack of appreciation for another person's post, especially when the person claims to have had innocent intent.

I recall a post I made on an adoption forum that got me thoroughly reamed. Some comments I'd meant to be "tongue-in-cheek" were taken the wrong way. I was talking about my then-10mo gaining too much weight and what others' experience had been as far as managing this. Because of the way I innocently worded a couple of quips, I was accused of all manner of child abuse and hating my child and having food disorders myself etc. etc. Lord. It was one of the most hurtful things I ever experienced (especially since I knew some of those folks in real life). I explained myself and lots of folks "came to my rescue," but it was still really hurtful.

Point being, give folks the benefit of the doubt that if they say they've been unintentionally awkward. Don't rub it in. It doesn't help anything.

I'd like to quote just the part about commenting on the lack of appreciation for someone else's post. Isn't that what your post is? LOL! I mean, isn't that what at least a good portion of posts are? How ironic. Anyway, I did roll my eyes & moved on. I came back this more.img to see which post of mine got 'liked". And to bring in th topic of another thread, its what I'd say to a friend of mine IRL who pulled the same nonsense.

I was at someone's house once and she would not let her kids climb up the slide in their backyard. She kept repeating to them 'Slides are for going down." :confused1: :confused1: :confused1: Um, okay.

Well, if I had a play structure in my backyard with a slide, the "slides are for going down" rule would still apply. I don't care if folks think me uptight- I'm used to being the "mean mom" who forces her child to stay buckled into the front of the shopping cart, eat 5 bites of food he/she dislikes, etc. etc.

I know everybody's all into "positive parenting" these days and letting children decide for themselves whether to use basic manners, but the majority of the time, that just results in the kids winding up total brats. I'd rather be the "mean mom" of reasonably well-behaved children than the "cool" mom of horrible brats...

One time, when I was at the playground with my brother, I was running runnning running running around and around to spin the merry-go-round while he was on it. We did that all the time and then I would jump on and we'd spin so fast and hang on for dear life and laugh like crazy. This one time, I didn't quite make it and my knee dragged for a couple of turns on the rocks at the base. Oh MAN! That bugger bled like you wouldn't believe! Shredded! Totally! Stung like crazy! I had to walk home with blood pouring down into my sandals and I had the biggest gauze bandage because we didn't have any band-aids big enough.

My brother and I -- to this DAY -- still talk about that day. It was like super-sonic-fast. Like g-force fast. And then there was the bonus bloody walk home.

Best. Ride. Ever.

There's a playground near us that still has one of those things. I can't believe it hasn't been taken away. And as a mom, yup, I see all the potential injuries, but I've never actually seen anyone get hurt on one. A few kids crying when they fell off, but not hurt. Ah, the good old days of a little risk.......

Guest submarines

OP here. I was completely joking with this thread. I was actually going to post a thread about why in the world won't people let their children climb up the slide but this was more fun. And we need more fun on the board right now. Unfortunately many won't see this post explaining things and every time they see my userid now will remember me as that uptight parent who won't let their kids climb up the slide. :001_unsure: Really, I promise I let my kids climb up. Only rule is not while others are waiting to come down, and be careful if there are little ones around.

I was at someone's house once and she would not let her kids climb up the slide in their backyard. She kept repeating to them 'Slides are for going down." :confused1: :confused1: :confused1: Um, okay. I don't know her anymore, I really hope she got over that.

And I get many glares for letting my kids go barefoot at the playground. :toetap05:

The public opinion here can be extremely contrary. I bet my morning coffee that if you posted "Why won't people let their children climb up the slide", most would've responded with "Because it can be dangerous when others are sliding down."

That would be an interesting experiment, eh?

Well, if I had a play structure in my backyard with a slide, the "slides are for going down" rule would still apply. I don't care if folks think me uptight- I'm used to being the "mean mom" who forces her child to stay buckled into the front of the shopping cart, eat 5 bites of food he/she dislikes, etc. etc.

I know everybody's all into "positive parenting" these days and letting children decide for themselves whether to use basic manners, but the majority of the time, that just results in the kids winding up total brats. I'd rather be the "mean mom" of reasonably well-behaved children than the "cool" mom of horrible brats...

What the heck? Trust me...my boys are very well behaved and very well mannered, even though they go up the slide. Maybe it's because they don't go without shoes. But that's just because dirty feet really just kind of gross me out (but so do clean feet).

I'd like to quote just the part about commenting on the lack of appreciation for someone else's post. Isn't that what your post is? LOL! I mean, isn't that what at least a good portion of posts are? How ironic. Anyway, I did roll my eyes & moved on. I came back this more.img to see which post of mine got 'liked". And to bring in th topic of another thread, its what I'd say to a friend of mine IRL who pulled the same nonsense.

Yes, I did notice the irony of that statement in my post, but I felt it was important to say because folks were starting to pile on to a person who had already apologized enough IMO. Sometimes I think the board could use a reminder that we do misunderstand people's original intent at times.

Flame me if you wish - I can take it.

Yes, I did notice the irony of that statement in my post, but I felt it was important to say because folks were starting to pile on to a person who had already apologized enough IMO. Sometimes I think the board could use a reminder that we do misunderstand people's original intent at times.

Flame me if you wish - I can take it.

No flames, just conversation. :confused:

When ds was little he started coloring a picture of a kitten. He was using green! Kittens aren't green! I had a one second flash that I should point him in the direction of the "correct" color choice for cats. Then I threw caution to the wind and let him color the kitten green. It ended up being a very eye opening parenting moment for me. I wish I could find the newsletter article I wrote about it, but it wasn't about being right, it was about allowing my child's choice to be important.

How many great discoveries have happened because a product designed to do A ended up doing B better? I promote thinking outside the box thinking in my household, or should I say "climbing up the slide thinking".

I hate shoes too, but most of the time he'd wear them simply because you get better traction going up the slide .

Personally, I hate playgrounds.

Well, 'hate' isn't exactly the right word. Anxiety ridden is more accurate.

I snapped my femur diagonally at a playground when I was 5. Pushed off a platform about 6 ft up, leg landed on a boulder of clay, they hadn't laid sand yet. Only way Dr had ever seen that break before was a kid being hit by a car.

So, playground trips are Wolf's domain. When I go w/them, I stand w/my back to the playground. Literally. B/c my kids love to climb, run, jump, all the stuff that playgrounds are meant for kids to do. And I just about hyperventilate, pass out, and wet my pants. All at the same time. It's pretty common to hear Wolf announce, "Mom's with us...better not do that!" and I refuse to even look.

What the heck? Trust me...my boys are very well behaved and very well mannered, even though they go up the slide. Maybe it's because they don't go without shoes. But that's just because dirty feet really just kind of gross me out (but so do clean feet).

Mine as well. I get regular compliments, especially at church. Last week we were all at the grocery store and the cashier said we should take her kids and train them as ours behave so well. We had all of them at a funeral a few weeks back and yet again they were perfectly behaved. I don't however make them follow (imo) arbitrary, baseless and stupid rules unless we are in a situation where it is required and I try to avoid those- as I don't appreciate following rules for the sake of rules either. So, they do sometimes see that at times we have to follow rules that make no sense and we have to get over it but at our house we try to avoid those as much as possible.

Years ago my oldest was drawing a picture at the library. I think he was 3. It was a crafty type thing with other kids. One mother literally yelled at and berated her young child for drawing a picture of a person with two heads. I thought it was ridiculous.

A young Douglas Adams, stifled right there. :(

Seriously Zaphod Beeblebrox would never have existed if dear Mr. Adams (pausing for 42 seconds of silence in his memory..................) had not seen the world a little bit differently than "normal".

Did you know that Mr. Adams took a world tour looking at endangered animal species, wrote a book on it, Last Chance to See.He used some of his celebrity status to help shine the light on what he saw as an important issue, animal extinction. Bravo, I'll bet his mother let him color outside the lines too.

My younger child is very artsy. He took an art class for awhile. The instructor was upset on a regular basis that he did different things with his projects. I thought they were great. Who ever heard of a stick in the mud art teacher?! Geesh

My art teacher in elementary school was grumpy. I think she was about 80 then, so maybe just tired of kids. She once yanked a paint brush out of my hand to tell me I wasn't painting trees correctly. Apparently I only painted trees that been recently been pruned and she thought all tree had branches that elongated out and ended differently.

Really? This is the best you can do? Didn't you attend an ivy? They didn't teach you to form a fallacy-free argument?

LOL about art. Once in high school we had a watercolor project. At home, I painted a cabin based on a photo I had, and brought it in to see if that would work for the teacher. Teacher didn't think it was abstract enough and made me do it over, making all the trees look like green clouds etc. I kept both paintings and most people think my original was better, but whatever!

Last quarter, both of my kids got "B" in art. (They are in 1st grade.) I found this a bit strange - I mean, how does a little kid mess up art class? One of them might have been a behavior issue, but both? Nah. Art teacher must be trying to prove she's needed or something.

Climbing up the slide does not a brat make!

I guess I am a bit uptight when it comes to art. We do food art and I always insist that there is enough frosting (2 inches is usually enough on mine) so that the sprinkles and candy sticks to the cupcakes.

I can't imagine spending time being the playground monitor, but I am totally on with being the Cupcake Nazi!

Not putting on enough frosting is rude, irresponsible, and dangerous!

Well I feel stupid now for interpreting your behavior in a way that seemed benign.

Was that your intent? To get people arguing? The only comment you have made after declaring the rest of us are bad moms is a wink about how this should turn into a cupcake thread.

Or did you really not know it would go this way, see that most of us disagree, and you just don't want to post anymore to your own thread?

Turns out you were right (OP was trying to start something) and I was wrong (in trying to interpret her behavior in a benign way.)

Nobody really cares if someone else teaches their child to use the playground in another way. They might roll their eyes a bit and they might get a bit defensive if they are called to task in the way that the OP's OP did. But really no one cares. The "pile on" is simply a whole bunch of people who are saying the same thing about how they see the playground. (Many who haven't even bothered to read all the other posts.) It isn't a "beat down".

The OP's later admission of a joke does make me angry. And it makes me angry no matter how you interpret it because the OP admitted that she simply wanted to get things stirred up around here.