Menu

what items are going into your kid's stockings this year??

so far I have:

dd12: body wash that she loves, scrapbooking stickers for our Disney trip, sparkling pompoms and pipe cleaners, fuzzy socks, 1000 piece puzzle, and a roll of duct tape

dd10: wooden recorder, hot wheels race cars, twisty balloons

dd8: so far just hot wheel racers

so, I NEED some more ideas for the boys...

it seems like I end up spending SO much money for stockings...I hate that...I want them to be fun, but not end up costing as much as the bigger prents that end up under the tree....

Every year they get a box of four Moonstruck truffles and a fancy candy cane, and that's as far as I've got. Thinking about adding a piece of coal, just for the novelty of it.

Mine have rulers, scotch tape (thankyou whoever suggested this last year, huge hit) pencils, socks

will have those 10 packs of small candy bars, mini boxes of cereal, some little debbies (I buy one box and divide them up) a movie or cd, batteries if they need them,

that is what I've got so far...

There was a great stocking thread last year, if anyone finds it, can you link? I stink at searching for old threads.

A new discount store, like a dollar store, opened near my regular shopping area. I went browsing there and found several good things that I wouldn't have normally thought about, at least for dd14. I got her an astrology book for her personal daily fortunes, pair of slipper shoes that fold up so you can carry them in your bag and wear them like real shoes, her favorite candy, and a set of cute Bic mechanical pencils. I also ordered personalized sticky notes from Vistaprint. I found a Zombie Alert bell at that dollar store for ds16 which he will probably think is stupid so I'm not sure I'm actually going to include that. I think this year I'm going to buy lots of different candy bars to make the stocking look interesting instead of just the usual two or three. I want to buy different flavored candy canes too. I wish I had more non-candy ideas.

Our traditional stocking gifts are:

chocolate coins

candy cane

toothbrush

toothpaste

socks

underwear

and a penny in the toe

Every year, dh aslo gets a box of smoked oysters and a bottle of real maple syrup.

I'll probably put a Lego mini figure or two in each boys' stocking, nail polish in dd16's stocking, and a new calligraphy pen in dd14's stocking.

St. Nicholas Day:

Chocolate coins

Ornament

Build-a-Bear reindeer antlers and sneakers for his monkey (2yo)

Fire engine and pumper train for train set (4yo)

Jim Weiss Christmas CD (6yo)

Christmas:

Food treats: organic juice boxes, cereal bars, maybe organic "pop-tarts", whatever looks good!

Holiday Smencils

Jim Weiss CD (older two)

TBD (for toddler)

hotwheels

small Lego set

Lego watch

My Little Pony blind package ponies

block of chocolate

stuffed animal

t-shirt

home-made ornament

Kre-o blind package figure

And whatever else we can find. These items are spread between the four older kids -- the boys aren't getting the ponies and only two of the kids are getting a watch. We've just added things to the pile as we found something worth adding. When it's getting closer to divvying up time we go through and sort everything out, and then buy things to add to the piles that are lacking. I'm planning to get more candy for all of them, and one boy has a lot more than anyone else so we need to even things out a bit (somehow!). He's just easy to buy for -- every store has something he really, really wants to own and can't live without! :tongue_smilie:

We haven't started filling the baby's stocking yet.

This year so far, a bracelet with animal charms, a couple of sets of clip-in hair extensions picked up at 75% off after Halloween, some school supplies (small notebooks, pretty pens/pencils, new box of crayons) picked up during back to school sales, little Dover sticker books, etc.

Basically, I collect small things all year which are good for stockings :).

I recently picked up a flint and steel and p-38 can opener (great deal - 5 for less than $3 with free shipping, so all the boys are getting one) thanks to another gift thread buried somewhere around here.

My son is also getting an old fashioned pop gun, a mini box of fruit loops, a fridge crawler, a box of nails, Ranger Rick magazine, and a Playmobil figure.

Everyone is getting a charging cable for their IPods (the two older girls will get 16 ft. ones so they can reach up to their loft beds), fuzzy socks, favorite candys, and each will get a $5 gift card to their favorite treat place (Sonic, DQ..).

Where on earth did you find such long cables?

Mine will all get: toothbrush, a few pieces of candy, a pack of gum (DD can finally have something besides Freedent as her orthodontic appliance came out!), shower gel, a scented pen, earbuds, and chapstick.

DD will possibly get some Sculpy and paint, a mug, and a mini American Girl

ODS will possibly get a Halo 4 soundtrack CD, a bunch of batteries for his Xbox remotes, an iTunes card, and new arrows for his Nerf crossbow, and a small Lego set

YDS will get the Mama and baby Schleich camel to go with his Daddy camel, Zum soaps (he loves to sniff these at Whole foods), a Marvel mystery pack (comes with either an LED light, a figure, or a pen....so far he always gets pens LOL), a Playmobil person, and maybe a small Lego set.

I try to set similar items for both kids, despite it being dd12 and ds6, otherwise there would be Complaints, and the Complaints Department staff prefer to take Christmas off!

So far:

long tubes of bubble liquid for both

water balloons for both (summer here)

iTunes vouchers for both

Beauty masque sachets for dd and bubble bath sachets for ds

pencils, sharpener and mini notebook on a keychain for both

diary for dd and activity book for dsT

sets of 10 bookmarks, from Etsy - the kind owner is making up a set for ds as per my requests, as nothing was quite right for him.

Things I'll add from this thread:

Sticky notes

Scotch tape

I got some silly putty type stuff last year which was a BIG hit, but after it got forgotten on a while duvet cover overnight, that has been deleted from my list!

Chocolates

deck of cards for DS

hot wheels for DS

mini Lalaloopsy for the girls

either the Trader Joes chocolate oranges or some Satsuma mandarins (they are super yummy this year but I don't know how long they last)

food erasers for the girls from Target dollar section

pencils

chapstick/lipsmackers

So far....

Girls (teens): Scarf, footie socks, lip gloss, gummy bears, cute duct tape, Sculpey clay.

Boys: Balsa airplanes, juggling balls, socks, big rolls of regular duct tape, Sculpey clay.

MIL: Burt's bees pack, handmade soap from the local market

Dh: A bunch of little gadgets I picked up at the Columbia outlet

All: Chocolate bar, individual boxes of breakfast cereal, gold dollar, orange in the toe

A few little individual items, like ds7, a sonic screwdriver flashlight; our exchange student, something Disney; ds9, guitar picks; and so on.

I have a policy against buying necessities as Christmas or stocking gifts, so it is usually things like jewelry, christmas-themed candy, cds, dvds, video/wii games, gift cards, nail polish, toy cars/trains/planes, Skylander figures, hair glitter, journals, fancy marbles, camera accessories, a nice scarf, dolls, etc.

They work so hard at school (with rigor) and music that I don't ever get them academic items as gifts. I want Christmas to be a special diversion from all of that. I also am a couponer and we have a toiletrie clos of stockpiled (not crazy hoarding level) items they can just go get when they need to, which were all free or pennies each...so in our house it would be weird to include thingslike that in stockings.

Every year they get a box of four Moonstruck truffles and a fancy candy cane, and that's as far as I've got. Thinking about adding a piece of coal, just for the novelty of it.

I found some toffee that was shaped as coal and put it in the foot of dh's stocking last year!

I get a LOT at Cost Plus world market

chocolate coins

ds and dh get a nice honey (for toast)

dd a chocolate spread (last year was dark chocolate banana.

They usually have a christmas or odd soap of some kind there.

There is a drink there, I think it is japanese. In a glass bottle and there is a marble you push down to drink it (someone here will know what I am talking about)

funny socks

chap sticks

toothbrushes