Menu

Can we talk about the debate without politics?

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that the time limits and fair debate practice needs to be applied much better than it has been.

And I think both sides, as well as the public, would benefit with an unbiased moderator. (I mean, we're all biased in some way, but someone that would set their bias aside during the debate. And I mean that to cover BOTH sides-a moderator should not show bias or favoritism to EITHER debate party.)

That's all I can say w/out getting political :)

I get annoyed when ANY candidate goes over their alloted time. They are supposed to be adults and possibly leaders of the nation! And they can't hold to a simple rule that you have X amount of time!?! Seriously... I lose respect for whatever they are saying and instead get annoyed that they couldn't follow the rule.

They should be allowed to finish the sentence they are on and then STOP.

My college-aged son was comparing the "sound-bite" debates we have now compared to the past. He was reading about Abraham Lincoln and ? (not sure who) when they were running for Senate. One side spoke for 3 hours or more and then it was Abraham Lincoln's turn so Mr. Lincoln sent everyone out for supper first because he expected to speak for at least 3 hours and then there would be an hour each for rebuttals.

We've been commenting that in our modern society our attention spans just wouldn't stand for that kind of situation.

I, too, was getting annoyed by the "overages" on the clock, particularly by Romney. I agree with the PP who said they should both be able to follow the rules of a civil debate...

Then I saw the final time count for each candidate an Romney was down by 3-4 minutes at final count - a whole 8-10% less time! So I can only imagine what that would have been had he *not* continued on in those instances.

Politics aside -a competant moderator should have a better handle on things.

I was hearing they had set guidelines on where they were allowed to walk on stage and they couldn't enter the others area. I though that was really funny. Like they think they need to prevent a fist fight from occurring on stage. Which would really make things more entertaining in my book!

In most of the debates I've judged, the person was allowed to finish their sentence...but not go on and on. The judges were also supposed to essentially keep out of the debate. It was the speakers' job to point out problems with the opposing side. The debate is also set up to allow for plenty of back and forth...someone always has to get the final say.

If my debaters acted like those I've seen on the stage...let's just say, they would have not enjoyed the critique that followed. Polite, respectful discourse was a requirement. Passion was fine, rudeness was not.

It seems to me these "debates" are amounting to free political ads. Hopefully those watching have the sense to see them for what they are.

My youngest is developing a strong interest in the art of debate. As a neophyte, he struggled last night to make sense of the process. I pity his Speech class teacher this morning.:D

My youngest is developing a strong interest in the art of debate. As a neophyte, he struggled last night to make sense of the process. I pity his Speech class teacher this morning.:D

The presidential debates have virtually no bearing on competitive, academic debate. It has to do with the goal of each...one is to focus on developing logical, evidenced arguments...presented articulately, with passion. The ability to answer and explain why your opponent's position is wrong is also important (moreover, if you don't answer the question you lose...and everyone wants to win).

In the presidential debates, "winning" is decided based more upon presentation than what is actually said, and people seem to give points for being aggressive (there is a line one should not cross). The audience members aligned with any one political party tend to only notice the behavior of the other person (pot/kettle anyone?).

I wish they would make the candidates stick to the time, and I wish there were time penalties for any smug looks, eye rolling, laughs, etc. One party did so in the first debate, the other party did so during the VP debate. It's immature, distracting to the viewers, and just plain rude and obnoxious behavior no matter who does it.

It seems to me these "debates" are amounting to free political ads. Hopefully those watching have the sense to see them for what they are.

I almost wish they'd stop calling them debates. They're really just Q&A sessions that turn into "Did not." "Did too". I'm not saying the style is wrong (I haven't decided), but it's really not a "debate".

In most of the debates I've judged, the person was allowed to finish their sentence...but not go on and on. The judges were also supposed to essentially keep out of the debate. It was the speakers' job to point out problems with the opposing side. The debate is also set up to allow for plenty of back and forth...someone always has to get the final say.

If my debaters acted like those I've seen on the stage...let's just say, they would have not enjoyed the critique that followed. Polite, respectful discourse was a requirement. Passion was fine, rudeness was not.

Absolutely. They are called debates these days, but in reality, they aren't really debates. That art, that skill, has been lost!

The high schoolers on the debate team two school districts west of us are far more advanced in their skills than I've seen with politicians of any stripe. Maybe, just maybe, politicians should be required to attend high school debate classes before their names can be placed on a ballot!

Wouldn't that be fun? I'd pay decent money to see a few of our state legislators go a couple of rounds with some of Michigan's winning high school debate teams. Oh, the delight of watching adults who think they are "all that" get a round taken out of them by 16 year olds in a "fair fight". :D

I bet if this was aired in prime time, it would be the next hit reality t.v. show! :lol:

Faith

First- Both parties and the mod needed a time out.

Second- I would like to change the way we do the debate. Have both of them perform normal SAHM/SAHD duties without help. Or performing a week's worth of a minimum wage job and feed your family. Make it a reality special:lol:.

Or maybe the debates could be done as mimes. No sounds just mime your answer. It could be really entertaining. :lol:

Come on guys. The way politicians behave the only classy thing is the name of the event. If we don't call it a debate we'd have to call it " Grown Men Behaving Like Children."

Excuse me, but my children did nothing to deserve that. :lol:

I agree with the turning off the mic comment and getting an unbiased moderator. Or at least letting one of the moderators be from the other side of the aisle. Debates are supposed to be one on one not 2 against one.

I think you are on to something there. We should have two moderators. Rush Limbaugh gets to question the Democratic candidate and Bill Maher gets to question the Republican candidate. I'd watch! :lol:

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks the mic should shut off after time (+ 10 second grace period to finish the sentence). I think both candidates feel obligated to go over time to show how tough they are and I hate it. It is rude.

I like the idea of a foreign moderator.

I also think that the question that was asked should be on the screen--that would make it easier for people to recognize when the candidate is avoiding the question.

I'm not sure how to avoid the yes it is/no it isn't dynamic that has come to dominate, but I hate that.

A cut and paste of my Facebook status today:

It's going to be a long 3 weeks. I may have to unfriend anyone political. Each side listens only for fodder to support their already established view. There is nothing transformational, encouraging, hopeful or intelligent going on with the Presidential election. Want to make a difference in our future? Go teach someone to read. Help a child stay in school instead of drop out. Take impoverished kids to a play, concert, or museum.

Remember those pop-up videos that VH-1 used to do where little bubbles of trivia would appear? That would be a nice addition--little bubbles of truth so the viewers would know when a candidate was speaking falshoods :).

:lol: Well, that would be overwhelming for viewers. What's that old joke?

Q: How can you tell when a politician is lying?

A: His mouth is open.

I think it's interesting that the female vote is so highly coveted this year, yet both candidates behaved in a manner that clearly rankled women (using this thread as a sample). The aggression, interruptions, bickering, and disregard for the rules seem to be nearly universal turn-offs for women.

I think it's interesting that the female vote is so highly coveted this year, yet both candidates behaved in a manner that clearly rankled women (using this thread as a sample). The aggression, interruptions, bickering, and disregard for the rules seem to be nearly universal turn-offs for women.

I think you're right, but I also think they're near universal behavior for male politicians (or politicians in general, really). It's a contest for dominance, particularly after the results of the last presidential debate.

In college, I had high hopes for working in politics/government...until I actually interned for the state political organization for my party. The petty, nasty, tiny-minded awfulness was an instant reality check for me. The thing that sticks out most for me from that period was the director of the org walking around the office on an extended phone call with a now-infamous (but then, small potatoes) state politician who was reaming the director because another politician (in the same party) had an extra 30 seconds of speaking time at an event.

What's that saying, "Women are from Venus, and Men are from Mars"? So, what has happened is that the males have once again demonstrated that they do not understand females! :lol::lol::lol: It's like humans pandering for votes from vulcans without knowing anything vulcan culture.

They.just.do.not.get.it! :D (Think of those exchanges between Spock and Kirk in the new Star Trek movie.)

Faith

OP you aren't the only one who thinks that mics should be shut off. I like debates, but dislike the "did not, did too" raised voice, interruption filled mess that the presidential debates have become.

A foreign moderator isn't a bad idea either.

I'd also give them enough time to flesh out their ideas. 30 min for one side, then 30 for the other, back and forth, no interruptions, no questions, just talk about what you feel is most important. - Unfortuantely, I think I might be one of only a dozen people who would watch, and it would completely mess up their sound-bite, talking point driven, system that they have going now.

I honestly wonder how far someone could get in a presidential race if he decided to be honest (admitting when he was wrong or didn't have an answer), said nothing mean about his opponent, and was kind to the other side (no partisan talk whatsoever). Because, seriously, I would vote for that person.

:iagree: Sounds good to me.

I've watched all the debates. Does anyone else think that they need to cut their mics off when their time is up? Perhaps they could hire the ladies that they have at the Academy Awards to usher the candidates to their seat when their time is up?

My husband would like the questioners in town hall debates to be allowed to ask follow ups. I think this would help eliminate the temptation to ramble on about the candidate's platform rather than actually answer the questions.

I think it would be good if they stopped when their time was up, but I think it is informative to observe how some candidates don't think the rules apply to them or react rudely.

I do like that they have to be there for 90 minutes, as so much is soundbites. I was impressed that Paul Ryan didn't need a bathroom break, though. ;) I wish they had MORE opportunities to talk a lot. I used to watch a lot of Canadian talk shows and news, and the coverage is loooong. People talk and (gasp) don't interrupt for several minutes at a time! Too many soundbites and what sounds good.

I think you are on to something there. We should have two moderators. Rush Limbaugh gets to question the Democratic candidate and Bill Maher gets to question the Republican candidate. I'd watch! :lol:

:lol: That would be great! I wish they would drop the debate fiction completely. I think we would all benefit more from one on one interviews with each side receiving the same questions. We'd finally get to hear the person present his or her case without interruption. All this back and forth has meant, IMO, that nobody has had a chance to say anything intelligent because as soon as they start to, someone interrupts or someone says the time is up.

My college-aged son was comparing the "sound-bite" debates we have now compared to the past. He was reading about Abraham Lincoln and ? (not sure who) when they were running for Senate. One side spoke for 3 hours or more and then it was Abraham Lincoln's turn so Mr. Lincoln sent everyone out for supper first because he expected to speak for at least 3 hours and then there would be an hour each for rebuttals.

We've been commenting that in our modern society our attention spans just wouldn't stand for that kind of situation.

Well, I doubt any living person could debate like Lincoln and Douglas did.

The debates are a farce. They get the questions in advance. They choose which ones to answer. I personally think we all deserve better.

Having the timer show up in the background due to the camera angle really made it harder for me. After the clock went red and then black, I just felt like shouting, "Stop talking!" If I hadn't seen the clock, I don't know that I would have even noticed that they went over time.

I don't have a lot of patience, either, for the squabbling over who gets last word or equal time to respond. And I also don't like when they use the first portion of their next response to answer to charges issued in the previous question. I want them just move on and answer the question at hand.