Menu

"Paper" Newspapers - Do you subscribe?

The daily paper used to be such a big deal growing up. Very solid routines on who read it first, and how they read it.

I peek at my old hometown newspaper online, but it's just not the same.

I always read the funnies *first* - then the headlines. Dad always read the headlines first, and then the rest in order. He always read every bit of the sports section, and all the business ads in classifieds. My mother always started with the back page obits and proudly declared, "It's a good day, I'm not in here.." :lol:

The Sunday paper, I always got to it first and had to be really careful about keeping it together, in order and clean. (We'd always get fried sour cream powdered doughnuts on Sunday, they were greasy dusty monsters..).

If we knew someone closely in the obits, we'd go back out and buy more copies, carefully clip them out and send it with the card. Same thing with any family or friend announcement, it was a nice way to stay in touch.

This online jazz just isn't the same.

Any of this sound familiar to you guys?

We get the weekend paper - Friday, Saturday and Sunday. I read section A in it's entirety. I read the section with the funnies and local news in it's entirety. I toss out the sports section and the ads, though others in my family usually snag those. I read the obits and have come across the deaths of two people I know in there even though this is a very big city newspaper.

My parents still do this. We just discussed how much they pay for the paper, it's insane. They are in their 70s, they have Internet, but the physical paper is part of their routine.

I actually hate the physical paper. I'm allergic to newsprint, it gets scattered everywhere, and my cat likes to eat paper. Dh will occasionally buy a Sunday paper, but they're such a pain. That's one area I have gladly embraced the new technology. I can check news from my phone or computer, obits are online too, and I have nothing to recycle.

I like getting the Sunday paper and i tried to have it delivered BUT since i live in a secured building, id have to get up at 5am to catch the guy bringing it.

Id rather get it at the store. I read everything but the sports section. Then i save the whole thing for when the girls paint or need something to pick up a mess. ;)

I love newspapers. I subscribe to a daily from a nearby city and two weekly papers from my county. I also read the Washington Post online. Debating whether to have the Sunday New York Times delivered in the late fall/winter.

But online is not the same. Love getting my fingers dirty...

By the way, my husband does not like leaving house before reading the comics. I have to read the letters to the editor. The sports section is usually ignored. ;)

We used to subscribe to our city's daily newspaper, but for some unknown reason they had a huge problem delivering it. To our driveway that's in a nice development right on the edge of the city with well-marked streets and house numbers and everything that should make newspaper delivery very, very easy. But apparently not. After going round and round with them, phone call after phone call, we finally gave up. It just wasn't worth the hassle.

We get the daily paper here. At least once a week there's an editorial or other blatantly biased reporting (or lack of reporting) that makes me so mad I swear I am going to cancel. Never mind the poor grammar and other mistakes. But I never do. It's part of my routine. I value it most for local news and coupons. The features section has gone way downhill. Half the nearby movie theaters don't even list their times in it anymore.

There was a little section in the paper also that reported who went visiting who in the social page. There was a gossip column, local recipes..these are things my dd is never going to know...or if it was raining you had to keep an eye out for "the paper.." - otherwise it could come in soaked....she won't know these small joys...

or how to handle or find a pay phone, those delicate actions of shooting the money in, listening, or getting sticky dial and having to help it along...or getting your finger stuck in the dial and having to cancel the call and hope your money came back...

When is the last time any of us actually talked to an operator? Do they even have those anymore?

Sniff.

Man I am all Joe Sentimental today. What is *in* this coffee?

Nope, I have enough clutter in my life. I read news online when I have an appetite for it.

My daughter missed a point on her phonics page because she failed to mark the "newspaper" picture as an "n" word. ;) What the heck is a newspaper?

The daily paper used to be such a big deal growing up. Very solid routines on who read it first, and how they read it.

I peek at my old hometown newspaper online, but it's just not the same.

I always read the funnies *first* - then the headlines. Dad always read the headlines first, and then the rest in order. He always read every bit of the sports section, and all the business ads in classifieds. My mother always started with the back page obits and proudly declared, "It's a good day, I'm not in here.." :lol:

The Sunday paper, I always got to it first and had to be really careful about keeping it together, in order and clean. (We'd always get fried sour cream powdered doughnuts on Sunday, they were greasy dusty monsters..).

If we knew someone closely in the obits, we'd go back out and buy more copies, carefully clip them out and send it with the card. Same thing with any family or friend announcement, it was a nice way to stay in touch.

This online jazz just isn't the same.

Any of this sound familiar to you guys?

Why, yes. I still get a daily paper. I should ditch it, because they have almost tripled the price for much less content. But I don't like reading online. I want a real paper.

Yes, I'm a dinosaur.

We get the paper. Always have!

My husband occasionally does a Sunday School class called, "The Bible and the New York Times (or whatever local paper)." People commit to reading the entire paper every day that week, pick out a story they want to discuss, then come to class to share. He links it to Scripture. It's really neat!

We also like to watch the World News every night--but that's just laughably content-less.

Another dinosaur here. :D

I am 44 and can't imagine starting my day w/o the paper! We have subscribed to the same (big city, daily) paper for 25 years. I don't even know - or care - what we pay for it, as it is auto-billed. It is my morning ritual. I actually don't even cancel it when we go on long vacations. I will sit and read every issue when we get back in town. :001_huh: Guess that makes me nuts. :lol:

Funny you should post that today - October 1 starts our city paper's new schedule of printing only 3 times per week (and not a 'full' paper at that).

Because I freelance for them, I heard everyone's complaints today! People do NOT like having their routine disrupted.

Funny you should post that today - October 1 starts our city paper's new schedule of printing only 3 times per week (and not a 'full' paper at that).

Because I freelance for them, I heard everyone's complaints today! People do NOT like having their routine disrupted.

Our paper is owned by the same company, and speculation is they'll do the same here. :glare:

Yes, we still subscribe because I like to have it. It's a small community and it helps me stay aware of what's going on—events, issues, community groups, etc. I use the Sunday coupons. One of the kids likes to read the comics (me too). I also read the police report because the way it sometimes describes an incident is just hilarious. A recent one was that a welfare check was called into police because the neighbor heard screaming. The report said that the person at home said it was a result of a spider being on someone's arm. :tongue_smilie:

The subscription price for a year still seems reasonable, about $100. They cut out the Monday paper entirely and the Saturday/Sunday one is a combo issue.

Erica in OR

Nope. For two reasons. (1) I think you have to fail a writing exam to write for our local paper. I check their website when I need information about local stuff, and it drives me batty. (2) I *did* subscribe to a weekend paper a few years ago, but we never got to it, and it just piled up and went into the recycling. So when the subscription ran out, I just let it lapse. Well. . . they kept delivering it and then had the nerve to call me and tell me that I owed them money. I informed them that if they chose to keep delivering after I didn't pay, it was *their* problem.

Another dinosaur here! I have always loved reading the paper. We get the Washington Times, which I absolutely adore, except for the fact that they don't publish a paper on Saturdays and Sundays. I love having it around on the table--my boys will read articles they never would search out online, but since they are right there in front of them . . . it definitely contributes to family discussions.

I subscribe to two papers 7 days a week each, the Atlanta Journal (very little readable content but local news and scandals), and the NY Times, one of the nation's best written newspapers, with at least one excellent article every day that would not come to my attention in any other format.

I used to like reading the funnies but the NYT does not have any and the ones in the AJC are lame. I especially enjoyed "the Phantom", when i roomed with Katherine Graham's nephew at college, since he took the Washington Post.

We were just taking the AJC for local news and watching Jon Stewart for hilarious takes on current events, but then I read somewhere that news print was a dying industry so i felt obligated to subscribe to the best print newspaper I know of, the NYT.

it is sort of like the time I snuck off to the local discount grocery store for cheaper prices and went to the good store nearby only when i wanted quality food. then the good one went out of business, and I realized you either patronize the one you like or it goes down in flames. I may not be able to save the NYT alone, but I am doing my bit.

As a senior citizen who is not living hand to mouth at the moment, I spend my money not so much to minimize my own cost, as to help the causes I believe deserve to survive. Excellent print media certainly qualifies. The obituaries alone in the NYT are worth the price of subscription.

E.g. a couple days ago there was an obit in the NYT for the famous mathematical author and fighter against fascism in America, Irving Adler. He was a casualty of Macarthyism in the 1950's but survived by writing highly successful popular math and science books. I recommend them to everyone here. Even if you differ with his politics, there is none in his writings. He fought for the rights of workers and refused to answer questions on his politics just to have a teaching job. the questions he was asked were actually against the law in NY to ask, but he was fired anyway. Decades later the supreme court reinstated him and he began at last to receive his pension. I admire the courage it took to insist on ones legal rights even when it meant losing ones job.

he was in the interesting position at the time of working as a "substitute teacher", but substituting for himself! I.e. the NY state bureaucracy was refusing to give full time regular employment to hundreds of teachers so they could deny them benefits, and hired them instead as "substitutes" although the positions they were substituting for were their own, the ones they were hired for and qualified for. when he and others sued over this discrimination, the courts eventually ruled in their favor and some 1500 teachers were elevated to permanent status in one day.\\

over the past few years our local AJC went downhill so thoroughly in quality that it became an intellectual embarrassment to admit we took it. even the NYT annoyed me greatly by reducing the size of the page to that of USA Today. but I have noticed that my friends who do not subscribe to any papers, all grab mine when they come over and sit and read it.

the NYT even has a science section often with fascinating stories. the front page today had a touching story on young people who are getting tattoos with the concentration camp numbers like those of their aging relatives who survived the holocaust.

anyway you don't hear about those stories on the tv news. now that you know however you can find it on the internet.

Edited by mathwonk

Usually. Our subscription JUST ran out yesterday and we can't renew right now because DH is out of work because of an injury. When he gets back to work we will renew.

Our paper is the last independent paper for a major city in Canada. Darn tootin' I'll subscribe and support it.

I subscribe to two papers 7 days a week each, the Atlanta Journal (very little readable content but local news and scandals), and the NY Times, one of the nation's best written newspapers, with at least one excellent article every day that would not come to my attention in any other format.

I used to like reading the funnies but the NYT does not have any and the ones in the AJC are lame. I especially enjoyed "the Phantom", when i roomed with Katherine Graham's nephew at college, since he took the Washington Post.

We were just taking the AJC for local news and watching Jon Stewart for hilarious takes on current events, but then I read somewhere that news print was a dying industry so i felt obligated to subscribe to the best print newspaper I know of, the NYT.

it is sort of like the time I snuck off to the local discount grocery store for cheaper prices and went to the good store nearby only when i wanted quality food. then the good one went out of business, and I realized you either patronize the one you like or it goes down in flames. I may not be able to save the NYT alone, but I am doing my bit.

As a senior citizen who is not living hand to mouth at the moment, I spend my money not so much to minimize my own cost, as to help the causes I believe deserve to survive. Excellent print media certainly qualifies. The obituaries alone in the NYT are worth the price of subscription.

E.g. a couple days ago there was an obit in the NYT for the famous mathematical author and fighter against fascism in America, Irving Adler. He was a casualty of Macarthyism in the 1950's but survived by writing highly successful popular math and science books. I recommend them to everyone here. Even if you differ with his politics, there is none in his writings. He fought for the rights of workers and refused to answer questions on his politics just to have a teaching job. the questions he was asked were actually against the law in NY to ask, but he was fired anyway. Decades later the supreme court reinstated him and he began at last to receive his pension. I admire the courage it took to insist on ones legal rights even when it meant losing ones job.

he was in the interesting position at the time of working as a "substitute teacher", but substituting for himself! I.e. the NY state bureaucracy was refusing to give full time regular employment to hundreds of teachers so they could deny them benefits, and hired them instead as "substitutes" although the positions they were substituting for were their own, the ones they were hired for and qualified for. when he and others sued over this discrimination, the courts eventually ruled in their favor and some 1500 teachers were elevated to permanent status in one day.\\

over the past few years our local AJC went downhill so thoroughly in quality that it became an intellectual embarrassment to admit we took it. even the NYT annoyed me greatly by reducing the size of the page to that of USA Today. but I have noticed that my friends who do not subscribe to any papers, all grab mine when they come over and sit and read it.

the NYT even has a science section often with fascinating stories. the front page today had a touching story on young people who are getting tattoos with the concentration camp numbers like those of their aging relatives who survived the holocaust.

anyway you don't hear about those stories on the tv news. now that you know however you can find it on the internet.

I would LOVE to be able to justify a subscription to the Times. I pick it up at the library every once in a while, and read a lot of the content online when I think of it. Maybe someday.

My dh keeps trying to get me to cancel our subscription, but it would take a lot for me to do so. I don't think I would make the effort to get online and read it. Plus, there seems to be more content in print. My ds occasionally reads the sports (an ESPN addict). I'm amazed when I talk about something I read in the paper and most people (including local politicians/leaders) etc. are clueless. It really does keep me informed and has saved me at cocktail parties by always being able to have something to talk about.

Laura

My preferred city paper folded and is now online only. The other city paper is a hollow shell of what it once was and I have a strong dislike for politics of the publishers (local family.)

I subscribed to WSJ for years- from 1999 rig up until the paper was bought by Murdoch.

So no.

I do buy the Sunday NYT fairly often.

I miss the paper. Headlines on my phone and feed are just not the same. But the shift from paper to online advertising and the general decline in retail circulars (as stores closed or shrunk their buys) killed daily publishing.

We get National Geographic and the Economist in print still.

I wonder if our paper is owned by the same company - that's going on here in B'ham, too.

We only subscribe Wed-Sunday. Lately I'm even wondering if it's worth it.

The kids will miss fighting over the comics, though ;)

I don't read our local paper ever since it went behind a paywall. I glance at the front page online and I have never felt the need to read more.

Recently DH got me an online subscription for the NY Times. I told him it was just through November. But, I am LOVING it so much that we might keep it. 15$ a month isn't that much...is it? I think I am worth it...

Funny thing is our local paper wants 15$ per month for online subscription, and that just happens to be the same price per month for the NYT. It is funny to think the price is the same when the quality could not be more different. Let's see..local trash or NYT? Not a hard decision for me.

I also read the Washington Post. I got in the habit when my brother worked there.

I can't imagine getting a physical paper. I do prefer reading my news, not watching it, but I don't like the paper mess.

We still get the paper. I religiously read Dear Abbey and the gossip column every morning. I pay pretty close attention to the insert specifically for our city, too. I get most of my news from the radio (or the hive!) DH gets most of his news from the Internet, but he does enjoy the Sunday paper. I'm sure we're not getting our money's worth of use out of it, but the baby so enjoys toddling out to pick it up for me every morning. :D

Yes, we still subscribe because I like to have it. It's a small community and it helps me stay aware of what's going on—events, issues, community groups, etc. I use the Sunday coupons. One of the kids likes to read the comics (me too). I also read the police report because the way it sometimes describes an incident is just hilarious. A recent one was that a welfare check was called into police because the neighbor heard screaming. The report said that the person at home said it was a result of a spider being on someone's arm. :tongue_smilie:

The subscription price for a year still seems reasonable, about $100. They cut out the Monday paper entirely and the Saturday/Sunday one is a combo issue.

Erica in OR

Wow, that's cheap. Our practically nonexistent newspaper is so thin and small you wouldn't believe it. And it costs about $300 a year!

I wonder if our paper is owned by the same company - that's going on here in B'ham, too.

We only subscribe Wed-Sunday. Lately I'm even wondering if it's worth it.

The kids will miss fighting over the comics, though ;)

Yep, same company - Advance Publications. They own a ton of newspapers, journals, magazines, and online sites.

I subscribe to only the Sunday paper. It's $4 a month. This gives me coupons that most I can't use, but the ones I can use are worth the savings....because....

Sunday mornings over coffee dh & I look through all the sales ads together. The kids all read the funnies outloud to all of us. And the leftover paper is put into my shed so I can use for my flower beds each Spring.