Menu

Dh lost his job

He was officially laid off yesterday. He got a small severance package, and filed immediately for unemployment.

This sucks.

He's been out on state disability since June, due to arm surgery resulting from a bad break. He was recently cleared to go back to work, BUT the position was filled by another employee while he was out, and so now there is "no position or work available." Unfortunately, under California state law, they don't have to hold the job for him if he's on state disability - had it been Worker's Comp, it would have been a whole different story.

Truthfully, he didn't love his job anyhow, and often came home angry or upset. I personally think it will be good for him to find something new, something more along the lines of his interests, away from all the negativity that job had to offer.

He's looking at getting back into landscape maintenance, perhaps at a local college. We are trying our best to look at this as an opportunity, rather than something terrible, but I admit that with the economy the way it is, I am worried.

More penny pinching! Oh joy.:glare:

Here is a battle plan of sorts ( I saw this mentioned somewhere, not my own ideas but seemed helpful):

1. Figure out right away where you can cut.

Buy food through co-ops, ask farmers /neighbors for some harvest and pay a little - which should be less than grocery store prices. Shop at goodwill and dollar tree stores for paper products.

2. If everything is cut and compromised to the essentials and you know you will have trouble making mortgage payments, it may be helpful to look into options right now before you become too delinquent and too close to foreclosure.

:grouphug::grouphug: I'm so sorry. We went through this a few years ago and I know how you feel. I'm glad you are looking at it in a more positive way, maybe he will find something much better. It can be scary, but exciting at the same time. I hope he finds something else soon!

Hang in there, mama. :grouphug:

Oh, and I agree, start cutting back now. Change cell plans, get rid of land line if you have it or cable, etc etc. You may be surprised at the things you can cut out, I know I was. Every little bit helps.

He was officially laid off yesterday. He got a small severance package, and filed immediately for unemployment.

This sucks.

He's been out on state disability since June, due to arm surgery resulting from a bad break. He was recently cleared to go back to work, BUT the position was filled by another employee while he was out, and so now there is "no position or work available." Unfortunately, under California state law, they don't have to hold the job for him if he's on state disability - had it been Worker's Comp, it would have been a whole different story.

Truthfully, he didn't love his job anyhow, and often came home angry or upset. I personally think it will be good for him to find something new, something more along the lines of his interests, away from all the negativity that job had to offer.

He's looking at getting back into landscape maintenance, perhaps at a local college. We are trying our best to look at this as an opportunity, rather than something terrible, but I admit that with the economy the way it is, I am worried.

More penny pinching! Oh joy.:glare:

I'm sorry. I hope he finds something very soon.

Here is a battle plan of sorts ( I saw this mentioned somewhere, not my own ideas but seemed helpful):

1. Figure out right away where you can cut.

Buy food through co-ops, ask farmers /neighbors for some harvest and pay a little - which should be less than grocery store prices. Shop at goodwill and dollar tree stores for paper products.

2. If everything is cut and compromised to the essentials and you know you will have trouble making mortgage payments, it may be helpful to look into options right now before you become too delinquent and too close to foreclosure.

To add onto point 2, unemployment is among the first criteria for refinancing. Call whoever holds your mortgage to see what they can offer.

3. PG&E has financial assistance program. Call and see what you qualify for. If you are not under PG&E, than call your utilities provider, they are suppose to have a hardship scheme.

:grouphug: Hope your husband gets a better job soon.

My husband hasn’t been able to work for quite some time because of cancer and we called the bank about refinancing. They turned us down because he didn’t have a job. Our payments would have been quite a bit lower, but that didn’t seem to matter.

We have been working with the bank on our mortgage for quite some time. At first, we were paying interest only, but when even that was too much, we worked it out to give them a little money each month. They seem like they genuinely want to work with us on not foreclose.