Menu

A wedding with no wedding cake. DD is into pie, groom's cake allowed, thoughts!

No problems on my end. I like it when things are individualized yet not tacky. I'm one of the few people in the world who wish wedding breakfasts would come back in style.

YOU AND ME BOTH!!!!

Bring on the vows, then the baked french toast (though now gluten-free :glare:), scrambled eggs, cheese danish, and some serious chocolate croissants and I'd be a most happy woman!!!

I tried to convince my parents, way back in the mists of time, that dh and I should be married at breakfast, have the whole tootin' thing over with by noon, and be on our way. Wedding was at 1:30 P.M, so obviously I didn't get too far did I? :D

Faith

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They should serve whatever they think is nice. Those who are being served a lovely free meal should have only one response, a very sweet, "Thank you."

I would also nip any and all negative commentary in the bud ahead of time. That sort of muttering is very wearing on a bride-to-be. (Ask me how I know . . . )

The groom would like his own groom's cake - carrot cake with buttercream frosting and two cartoon character figurines on top...something to do with nicknames they've had for each other. No problem...Mr. Comedian my indulge himself.

Otherwise, he does not care a lick about cake. DD cannot stand cake. Seriously, if the only dessert in the entire world is cake, she's going dessertless. She LOVES pie and in particular berry pie. So, she'd like to have some pie stands and berry pies, cherry pie, lemon merangue, and chocolate pie. She also likes the fact that she has expert pie baking relatives who have volunteered to make pies and so she won't have to take a decorated cake out of her budget.

Thoughts....as a guest, would you be offended to not have traditional wedding cake?

Oh, there will be a few children...all of four...at the wedding and she's asked my sister, who does many excellent things with icing, to create a dozen decorated cupcakes for the kiddoes. We'll put those out on my glass cake stand.

I have zero problem with this. I will say that my ultra traditional mil seems to think it's bizarre and offensive. My mother, also rather traditional, says "She should have what she wants!" (My mother may be slightly jaded because her future mil interfered so intensely with my parents' wedding that mom did not have one single thing the way she wanted it! This was done to make sure my mom's wedding was not as nice as my paternal aunt's wedding coming up one month later)

I'm okay with it, but just wanted to think of what potential wedding guests might think.

Faith

I think that having beautiful, tasty pies made by caring friends and relatives is the kind of thing that makes a wedding personal and special. As a guest, I would be charmed. :)

Please encourage her to have some artsy photos taken of the pie display, then, as a gift, you might make her some photo recipe cards, personalized stationery or thank you notes with the photos.

Lisa

I am a cake person (actually, I like the frosting the best), but my husband is very much a pie person. I think that there are only two people whose opinions really count at this wedding -- your daughter's and your FSIL's -- and so if your DD wants pie, I think you should have pie (though it's nice that there will be cupcakes for people who want them). Guests don't get to be offended by that; they get to say, "thank you for inviting us to share in your special day, and what a delicious pie!"

I agree about mini-pies or tarts! I think there might be an ewww factor or something about how messy and not so pretty that certain pies look after being cut, kwim? Now, I'd be having key lime pie so that would be fine, but not all pies slice nicely and that's why I think individual ones, although more time-consuming and maybe more expensive, would look great.

My sister's ex hates cake, so they had a cheesecake (one level chocolate, one level strawberry, one level vanilla) with standard cake on the side.

I cut and served for her. Almost no one had cake. We ran out of cheesecake.

But if things are uncertain, just have more cupcakes available. I find the pie idea whimsical and fun.

I say have what you want! However, if you include cupcakes reminder that many adults also enjoy cupcakes and may choose that over pie. If you only have 12 there may not be enough!

Good luck!

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

(I would be guilty of both cupcake and pie... I love them both.)

I think they can do whatever they want!

I do think it could be cute to have a display of assorted mini-pies and cupcakes.

:iagree:

If ppl get offended over pie, they need a hobby, or a good, swift kick.

No kidding!

They should serve whatever they think is nice. Those who are being served a lovely free meal should have only one response, a very sweet, "Thank you."

I would also nip any and all negative commentary in the bud ahead of time. That sort of muttering is very wearing on a bride-to-be. (Ask me how I know . . . )

Well put, as usual. :)

I love cake but cannot understand anyone being offended by this. Being a guest at a wedding does not entitle one to cake.

Amen!

Came back to add:

I think this is one of those individual touches that gives you a glimpse of who the couple really are, and really makes a wedding. I think the couple should stick to their guns or they may live to regret it!

The groom would like his own groom's cake - carrot cake with buttercream frosting and two cartoon character figurines on top...something to do with nicknames they've had for each other. No problem...Mr. Comedian my indulge himself.

Otherwise, he does not care a lick about cake. DD cannot stand cake. Seriously, if the only dessert in the entire world is cake, she's going dessertless. She LOVES pie and in particular berry pie. So, she'd like to have some pie stands and berry pies, cherry pie, lemon merangue, and chocolate pie. She also likes the fact that she has expert pie baking relatives who have volunteered to make pies and so she won't have to take a decorated cake out of her budget.

Thoughts....as a guest, would you be offended to not have traditional wedding cake?

Oh, there will be a few children...all of four...at the wedding and she's asked my sister, who does many excellent things with icing, to create a dozen decorated cupcakes for the kiddoes. We'll put those out on my glass cake stand.

I have zero problem with this. I will say that my ultra traditional mil seems to think it's bizarre and offensive. My mother, also rather traditional, says "She should have what she wants!" (My mother may be slightly jaded because her future mil interfered so intensely with my parents' wedding that mom did not have one single thing the way she wanted it! This was done to make sure my mom's wedding was not as nice as my paternal aunt's wedding coming up one month later)

I'm okay with it, but just wanted to think of what potential wedding guests might think.

Faith

I can't imagine being offended at such a creative idea. It is her wedding and it should be her way and honestly, to h*ll with what anyone else thinks.

My littlest hates cake too, knowing her she will have something like customized M&M's.

I say have what you want! However, if you include cupcakes reminder that many adults also enjoy cupcakes and may choose that over pie. If you only have 12 there may not be enough!

Good luck!

The groom's cake will also be there.

But I'd definitely have the cupcakes put away as guests might not know they are only for the children.

Love the pie idea!

Thanks everyone!

Groom's cake, pies, mini-tarts for the bridal party so they don't hae to worry so much about dripping on their clothing, Apothecary jars of jelly beans and M & M's, and cupcakes is the final dessert table decision. We did decide to make 5 dozen cupcakes and make only 7 pies since my sister will seriously decorate those cupcakes and they may be tempting to the grown-ups.

I'm including a picture of what my sister says she's shooting for in a "cupcake tree". She's a very creative, talented person so I have a pretty good idea that she'll manage it.

Now my job is to spend 21 months looking for a beautiful cupcake display for a very reasonable price. Dh and I agreed that if we bargain shop and get really good deals, then if they come in under budget, we'll donate the difference to their honeymoon in addition to the gift we had already talked about....shhhhh.....don't tell DD, if we can save enough money to purchase a reconditioned Steinway baby grand piano, they will get my Petrof baby grand - an absolutely gorgeous piano in prime condition, mahogany chippendale finish, exquisite tone, concert regulation, .....$30,0000.00 piano. DD is very attached. It's the piano I gave her all of her piano lessons on...lots of years. It's the piano we have sung around as a family ever since she was two - a virtually daily occurence until a couple of years ago.

Faith

I love pie too so I'd be tickled if they served pie. I'd be even more excited if there were ice cream to go along :D

I love the pie idea. It is her wedding. However, I think I would make more than 12 cupcakes. Some adults may want cake.

Is there anyway to arrange the pies so that they spiral around (like a mountain thing) with one top and center. The traditional cake top could sit on the top center pie and it would be a wedding pie.

Linda

:iagree:

I LOVE pie. Can she have tiny tarts made for wedding guests? Pampered chef has a mini muffin pan and a dough thingy that makes creating tiny pies quite simple.

I've been to receptions with no cake. (better than a reception with an inedible cake - I've been to those too.) I've seen varieties of pie, I've seen cheesecake, I've seen a doughnut cake (it's a portland thing apparently). I've also had norwegian wedding cake (which is very different than what we are used to. and it's GF!) I've also seen cupcakes. right now, it seems to be anything goes.

the only thing I would suggest if doing pie is do a variety of types. your dd might like berry, but some berries stain terribly (i.e. blackberry). People tend to have strong feelings about what kind they like or don't like.

Edited by gardenmom5

Groom's cake, pies, mini-tarts for the bridal party so they don't hae to worry so much about dripping on their clothing,

Can she have tiny tarts made for wedding guests?

This is what I was wondering. Why two different forms of pie? It sounds as if the people doing the planning are worried about the bridal party dripping brightly colored goo on their clothing, but not about the wedding guests having the same problem. :001_huh: It seems contrary to hospitality to have such a two-tier system. If you'll pardon the expression. ;)

As a side note... not specifically about this question... I get the sense that a lot of the current trendy wedding ideas are about visuals. How things will look, especially in photos that get posted online. But etiquette is mostly about people's feelings, convenience, and comfort during the actual experience. And you can't get a sense of that from little pictures on Pinterest or whatever (especially as they tend not to have actual people in them).

So I think it's wise to ask for opinions about this stuff. The more "original" and "artistic" the plan, the more it has to be gone over by experienced folks, to make sure that the wedding won't go down in memory as "that one where they thought it would be a great idea to [insert cute/frivolous idea] and we all ended up with [insert significant inconvenience]."

Edited by Eleanor

The most unique wedding cake idea I've heard of (planned for this fall) is a marshmallow-rice-crispie cake. Looking forward to seeing how that turns out :)

The young couple is on a tighter than a shoe string budget...and they love marshmallow rice-crispie treats. I think it's great that they are doing something they love and it is in keeping with their budget :)

This is what I was wondering. Why two different forms of pie? It sounds as if the people doing the planning are worried about the bridal party dripping brightly colored goo on their clothing, but not about the wedding guests having the same problem. :001_huh: It seems contrary to hospitality to have such a two-tier system. If you'll pardon the expression. ;)

As a side note... not specifically about this question... I get the sense that a lot of the current trendy wedding ideas are about visuals. How things will look, especially in photos that get posted online. But etiquette is mostly about people's feelings, convenience, and comfort during the actual experience. And you can't get a sense of that from little pictures on Pinterest or whatever (especially as they tend not to have actual people in them).

So I think it's wise to ask for opinions about this stuff. The more "original" and "artistic" the plan, the more it has to be gone over by experienced folks, to make sure that the wedding won't go down in memory as "that one where they thought it would be a great idea to [insert cute/frivolous idea] and we all ended up with [insert significant inconvenience]."

I'm sorry but I don't agree. She wants pie because she likes to eat pie instead of cake. Serving pie isn't a frivolous idea. The comments about the potential staining properties of berries are good, though.

Volunteers within the family are making the pies. I'm not hiring a caterer or bakery for that. Therefore, if they want to go to the work of making a lot of mini-tarts, that's great. But, if they consider it less work to make just several pies - and it probably is less work - then I'm not going to dictate to them when they are so graciously doing this for free.

Faith

Volunteers within the family are making the pies. I'm not hiring a caterer or bakery for that. Therefore, if they want to go to the work of making a lot of mini-tarts, that's great. But, if they consider it less work to make just several pies - and it probably is less work - then I'm not going to dictate to them when they are so graciously doing this for free.

Faith

I think homemade pies are even better. :grouphug: What a testimony of love on such an important day!

http://offbeatbride.com/2012/03/wedding-pie

Thanks everyone!

Groom's cake, pies, mini-tarts for the bridal party so they don't hae to worry so much about dripping on their clothing, Apothecary jars of jelly beans and M & M's, and cupcakes is the final dessert table decision. We did decide to make 5 dozen cupcakes and make only 7 pies since my sister will seriously decorate those cupcakes and they may be tempting to the grown-ups.

I'm including a picture of what my sister says she's shooting for in a "cupcake tree". She's a very creative, talented person so I have a pretty good idea that she'll manage it.

Now my job is to spend 21 months looking for a beautiful cupcake display for a very reasonable price. Dh and I agreed that if we bargain shop and get really good deals, then if they come in under budget, we'll donate the difference to their honeymoon in addition to the gift we had already talked about....shhhhh.....don't tell DD, if we can save enough money to purchase a reconditioned Steinway baby grand piano, they will get my Petrof baby grand - an absolutely gorgeous piano in prime condition, mahogany chippendale finish, exquisite tone, concert regulation, .....$30,0000.00 piano. DD is very attached. It's the piano I gave her all of her piano lessons on...lots of years. It's the piano we have sung around as a family ever since she was two - a virtually daily occurence until a couple of years ago.

Faith

Your plans sound wonderful.

Just wondering if you have thought about making your cupcake display. I have not done it, but have seen it done. You simply glue plates to candle holders. Choose your plates, choose your candle sticks and glue. I can be whatever you want it to be then.

Didn't read all the posts...

I went to a wedding where they had donuts instead of a cake. The couple had a favorite donut shop they went to frequently when they dated so they wanted it as part of the wedding. I love it when couples do something nontraditional but personal. I think it makes the wedding more fun for everyone.

I'm sorry but I don't agree. She wants pie because she likes to eat pie instead of cake. Serving pie isn't a frivolous idea.

Desserts in general are pretty much "frivolous," in the sense of "done without a serious purpose." Which is fine. There's a lot of cute and frivolous stuff at most weddings. :)

The question at hand is about the guests' comfort and convenience. The plan already involves departing from tradition and doing something that might be unfamiliar. And the reason isn't a serious one (wartime, illness, immigration issues...); it's just in order to accommodate the bride's preference in desserts. In general, people at social gatherings tend to be more comfortable with familiar things, especially in traditional situations such as weddings. They would be very unlikely to say anything negative to the hosts (which would be extremely rude), and maybe they don't even realize it, but it affects most people's inner happiness meter. I think this has been pretty well established, by both research and common sense. That's why we have all these social rituals.

Because of this, I think it's wise to be extra careful that the "different" experience itself doesn't cause the guests trouble. That way, it comes across simply as something nice and interesting, not as something self-centered or thoughtless.

To put it another way: spilling wine (or non-alcoholic equivalent) on one's shirt at a wedding would just be considered an unfortunate accident. But spilling pie would be more likely to make the guest irritated that someone decided to serve pie. Because wine is expected, and pie is not. Doesn't make much sense, maybe, but people are funny like that. Etiquette !=logic. :)

And this goes double if they've noticed that the members of the wedding party got special, less-likely-to-spill pies. Because in that case, it's clear that the planners were aware of the potential problem. And it makes it seem as if the bride (or whoever made the decision) cared about how it affected her and her friends, but not about how it affected others.

Edited by Eleanor

Desserts in general are pretty much "frivolous," in the sense of "done without a serious purpose." Which is fine. There's a lot of cute and frivolous stuff at most weddings. :)

The question at hand is about the guests' comfort and convenience. The plan already involves departing from tradition and doing something that might be unfamiliar. And the reason isn't a serious one (wartime, illness, immigration issues...); it's just in order to accommodate the bride's preference in desserts. And in general, people at social gatherings tend to be more comfortable with familiar things, especially in traditional situations such as weddings. They aren't likely to say anything, and maybe they don't even realize it, but it affects their inner "happiness meter." I think this has been pretty well established, by both research and common sense. That's why we have all these social rituals.

Because of this, I think it's important to be *extra* careful that the "different" experience itself doesn't cause the guests trouble. That way, it comes across simply as something nice and interesting, not as something self-centered or thoughtless.

To put it another way: spilling wine (or non-alcoholic equivalent) on one's shirt at a wedding would just be considered an unfortunate accident. But spilling pie would be more likely to make the guest irritated that someone decided to serve pie. Because wine is expected, and pie is not.

Doesn't make much sense, maybe, but people are funny like that. Etiquette !=logic. :)

Still don't agree with you. Sorry. I can't imagine people being so tied to tradition (which you realize is only tradition for a small segment of even American society, don't you?) that they can't embrace another kind of a dessert. People invited to our Filipino/American/Japanese wedding would have been having all sorts of trouble dealing with our terribly rude and thoughtless behavior because we blended the traditions of three cultures. The Filipino guests would have been mortified at the "American" traditions, not to mention the Japanese ones. The "American" guests (I put that in quotes because what makes white people more American than others?) would have been uptight at the Filipino and Japanese ones. And the Japanese guests would have thought the traditions of the other two cultures so unexpected. Add in some traditions which are more "Protestant Christian" than cultural and you have a further cause for offense - esp. since many of the guests were either Catholic or other religions or none at all. I certainly hope that the people that Faith's daughter and future son in law are actually interested in the couple and not some narrow idea of what is expected.

Edited by Jean in Newcastle

Your plans sound wonderful.

Just wondering if you have thought about making your cupcake display. I have not done it, but have seen it done. You simply glue plates to candle holders. Choose your plates, choose your candle sticks and glue. I can be whatever you want it to be then.

I am intrigued! There is a cupcake contest thing on Food Network???? Of course, we don't have cable, but I wonder if I could netflix-stream the episode.

Hmm...now to figure out how tall cupcakes with fancy decorations would be so that I know the minimum height of the legs of the cake plate. I could soooo see myself hunting around thrift stores for glass cake plates and putting the whole thing together myself.

DD and I are considering selling a lot of things, centerpieces, fabric flowers, garlands, etc. sort of "wedding in a box", well many boxes. I have no need to store these items for forever...no other girls in the family to plan weddings for and I'm wondering if we could recoup a bit of the cost. If it goes well, the decor will be stunning on a very low budget. Even if all I got out of it was the cost of the materials and nothing for my time, it would still be worth advertising on craigslist or ebay.

Faith

Jean, what you're talking about is potential unfamiliarity due to the blending of different ethnic traditions. That would be considered a "serious reason" in my book. Because weddings are about the joining of families.

"The bride likes a different type of dessert" is in a whole other category.

I think the vast majority of Filipino, Japanese, and Botswana grannies would agree on that. ;)

Edited by Eleanor

I am intrigued! There is a cupcake contest thing on Food Network???? Of course, we don't have cable, but I wonder if I could netflix-stream the episode.

Hmm...now to figure out how tall cupcakes with fancy decorations would be so that I know the minimum height of the legs of the cake plate. I could soooo see myself hunting around thrift stores for glass cake plates and putting the whole thing together myself.

DD and I are considering selling a lot of things, centerpieces, fabric flowers, garlands, etc. sort of "wedding in a box", well many boxes. I have no need to store these items for forever...no other girls in the family to plan weddings for and I'm wondering if we could recoup a bit of the cost. If it goes well, the decor will be stunning on a very low budget. Even if all I got out of it was the cost of the materials and nothing for my time, it would still be worth advertising on craigslist or ebay.

Faith

Just google DIY cupcupe stands and you will find lots of ideas. I found one for Tidy Mom that had some truly lovely stands made out of more than just candle sticks.

I would encourage you to list your stuff on Craigslist afterwards! Not eveyone is so inclined to do it yourself and would love to have your box!

I think a dessert buffet with small items would be fantastic!

I'm acquainted with a man who does bridal shows (as in, he's the host for the vendors). One of his vendors does a "candy bar". he get's single candies (M&M's, mints, candy berries, jelly bellies, swedish fish, etc.) in apothocary jars and the guests can dish them up into single serve bags. It can be simple or eleaborate and can also be quite colorful.

I can understand this. And relatively casual weddings are a fine idea to me, especially for young couples on a tight budget. (I would have preferred one myself, even though DH and I were older and didn't have the same financial considerations, but I was outvoted. So ours was more formal, but still simple. :) )

But if the bride isn't prepared to take her chances with an oozing slice of berry pie (even though she is the one who loves it so much), then it seems strange to expect that of the guests.

In this situation, I would skip the mini-pies altogether. :)

Edited by Eleanor

Well, I'm no wedding expert, but I will say that I think it's the bride and groom's wedding, and they should serve whatever they want to serve.

I mean, really, a debate over CAKE? :confused:

If any of the guests feel so strongly about having cake at a wedding that they are actually offended or irritated when they are served pie, I say tough on them. If they have nothing better to do than be upset about dessert choices, they really need to get lives for themselves and leave everyone else alone.

Good heavens, this should be a non-issue.

Well, I'm no wedding expert, but I will say that I think it's the bride and groom's wedding, and they should serve whatever they want to serve.

I mean, really, a debate over CAKE? :confused:

If any of the guests feel so strongly about having cake at a wedding that they are actually offended or irritated when they are served pie, I say tough on them. If they have nothing better to do than be upset about dessert choices, they really need to get lives for themselves and leave everyone else alone.

Good heavens, this should be a non-issue.

:iagree: a million times. Life is too short.

I LOVE pie 'wedding cakes'. Last year a local farm stand made something like 25 pies for one bride to be, and it was a total success. And THere was another farm wedding on a blog I follow where they had pies made by loving family and friends and it was another total success (weddings were formal and in church, receptions were held on family property in barns and such). That's what we'd totally do.

I think it's utterly charming, and in a time when unemployment is so high, and people are just scraping by, being thrifty is appreciated.

Edited by justamouse

We did individual cheesecake cups with homemade fruit topping. Why? Because we were on a budget (we paid for the wedding ourselves and were young to boot) and because we had decided to self cater a brunch blowout for a reception. The little cheesecake cups were very cute, easy for us to make, and they went better with brunch than cake did IMO. Everyone loved those cheesecake cups. 10 years later I still have people who came to our wedding mention it as a favorite and ask for the recipe. I was the opposite of a bridezilla- I was calmly baking and cooking the week before, I wore a very simple dress and we had a very hospitable, guest focused wedding. Had anyone been "offended" by the dessert, I would have laughed. Life is too **** short to care about what people serve for dessert at their weddings. That said, I would skip the mini tart for the bridal party thing. Grown women can figure out how to eat pie without making mess and I don't agree with serving something to some and not making it available to all who are interested (unless it is kid specific). That's just my preference, I don't like two tiered parties in general though. Also why make more work? And tarts are as messy as pie IMO.

Besides who doesn't like PIE?!

Edited by kijipt