Menu

A wedding with no wedding cake. DD is into pie, groom's cake allowed, thoughts!

Well I totally disagree with those who say the bride shouldn't have mini-pies. When I was married, I ate my cake standing up, talking to people, moving around, directing people etc. I probably set my piece down 5 times or more before I actually got to finish it. Eating a slice of pie under those circumstances would be difficult at best. It makes complete sense to have something smaller and self-contained and less likely to spill. On the other hand, the guests will be sitting at a table, there is really no reason why they couldn't eat a slice of pie without spilling on themselves.

Besides I could see a very nice pie display with 10 inch pies on the bottom, another layer of 8 in pies another of 5-6 inch pies and mini pies on top. Bride just needs to choose a pie from the top of the display. No "preferencial" treatment given.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't like any cake except for carrot cake and pound cake. So for my wedding, my new cousin in law made a large sheet carrot cake as her wedding gift. It was great and everyone liked it or else pretended to like it lol. I also love all kinds of pies so think that is a great idea. I also think a cookie tray at a wedding would be great.

I didn't read the other replies, but we were recently at a wedding where there was no cake. It was a surprise, but they invited everyone to indulge in ice cream made by a local, small company. Everyone loves that ice cream and the reception was so lovely that I'm sure the lack of a cake was quickly forgotten.

We later found out that this was an option at that venue. With the ice cream maker a block or so away, it was a nice nod to the community.

I didn't read the other replies, but we were recently at a wedding where there was no cake. It was a surprise, but they invited everyone to indulge in ice cream made by a local, small company. Everyone loves that ice cream and the reception was so lovely that I'm sure the lack of a cake was quickly forgotten.

We later found out that this was an option at that venue. With the ice cream maker a block or so away, it was a nice nod to the community.

Now this would be my ideal! I don't need cake or pie, but I do have soft spot for ice cream.

Faith

Throw in a rocket launch afterward and my family will travel there to celebrate with you. Who cares if anyone else could attend!

How many rockets ma'am? We've got little rockets, mid-size rockets, space agey looking things, a huge Saturn rocket that requires a G-motor and makes a very nice ka-boom when it launches, dh's high powered fiberglass rocket that makes a really SERIOUS Ka-Pow when it's ignited plus a lovely plume of smoke, one of the 4-H girls built a mile high rocket and on her first flight she managed 5227 ft. with it...with some tweaking she'll nudge over that mile barrier, two stage, three stage, and a small hydrogen rocket. Plus the hovercraft dh built out of a snowblower engine, plywood, plastic tablecloths, and those softer plastic charger plates you can get at Michael's.

Frankly, the 4-H club could put on quite the celebratory display and I could make them all wear black and white and serve us our ice cream too! They are required to have a community service project each year! :D

Faith

Thanks everyone!

Groom's cake, pies, mini-tarts for the bridal party so they don't hae to worry so much about dripping on their clothing, Apothecary jars of jelly beans and M & M's, and cupcakes is the final dessert table decision. We did decide to make 5 dozen cupcakes and make only 7 pies since my sister will seriously decorate those cupcakes and they may be tempting to the grown-ups.

I'm including a picture of what my sister says she's shooting for in a "cupcake tree". She's a very creative, talented person so I have a pretty good idea that she'll manage it.

Now my job is to spend 21 months looking for a beautiful cupcake display for a very reasonable price. Dh and I agreed that if we bargain shop and get really good deals, then if they come in under budget, we'll donate the difference to their honeymoon in addition to the gift we had already talked about....shhhhh.....don't tell DD, if we can save enough money to purchase a reconditioned Steinway baby grand piano, they will get my Petrof baby grand - an absolutely gorgeous piano in prime condition, mahogany chippendale finish, exquisite tone, concert regulation, .....$30,0000.00 piano. DD is very attached. It's the piano I gave her all of her piano lessons on...lots of years. It's the piano we have sung around as a family ever since she was two - a virtually daily occurence until a couple of years ago.

Faith

I think the dessert table sounds amazing. Dh says all it needs is some doughnuts to round it out and it would be perfect, lol. :tongue_smilie:

And I think the piano is a wonderful and sweet gift too.

We had cake and pie. My dh loves pie and my grandma was willing to make them. The pie was a huge hit!! I know we had cake left over but I believe the pie was gone :001_smile:

We had it so that the pie was cut and put on plates before hand. It made things a little easier.

These were the cupcakes my daughter had at her wedding. Unfortunately we don't have a photo here of the whole cupcake tree! She and her new husband went from table to table and passed the cupcakes around to everyone. The top rung of the cupcake tree was a little bitty cake. (Enough for 6 people, maybe?)

I would not be offended. We don't eat pie often, but i do love it.

BUT, the biggest bottom line {no pun intended} for me when I'm at a wedding is, "Is this what THEY wanted or someone else?" Because I think on the big day it should totally be what THEY want.

My dh photographed a wedding once where the mil constantly kept telling him to do this or that. He finally turned to her & said very kindly, "I'll be able to take any photo you want, as soon as I've done exactly what the Bride has requested."

Everyone was shocked, because this mil was use to getting her way, but she stepped aside. When dh was done he sought her out & did what she asked. ;)

I would not be offended. We don't eat pie often, but i do love it.

BUT, the biggest bottom line {no pun intended} for me when I'm at a wedding is, "Is this what THEY wanted or someone else?" Because I think on the big day it should totally be what THEY want.

My dh photographed a wedding once where the mil constantly kept telling him to do this or that. He finally turned to her & said very kindly, "I'll be able to take any photo you want, as soon as I've done exactly what the Bride has requested."

Everyone was shocked, because this mil was use to getting her way, but she stepped aside. When dh was done he sought her out & did what she asked. ;)

This is how we feel. Dh and I want them to have a positive, memorable event that is a celebration of THEM and not some ego fest for everyone that wished they were the center of attention.

My own wedding had "too many chiefs" and WAY too many opinions. I was miserable leading up to it, some of dh's family acted like total jerks and made big dramas about everything, my cousin showed up with a bunch of truly ugly decorations that she thought were just wonderful and was determined to sneak into the reception area with my future mil's help, while the bridal party shuffled along behind them tearing it all down, only to have them try to sneak it again, and then the nasty comments about my wedding cake - which neither DH or I wanted in the first place because A. we hate cake and B. they are so ridiculously expensive, but were roped into having because of "tradition" only to have his family complain about what we chose! 1.5 hrs. into our reception a very, very dear uncle of mine walked up to us, asked us if we were truly tired of some of the drama and attention seeking antics of family members, and were done. I tearfully said yes, but felt we should stay because it would be rude to the guests. His response, "Apparently, you didn't get the memo. This day was supposed to be about you and M joining your lives together and celebrating that ON YOUR OWN TERMS. Since several family members and egos within the bridal party can't pull that off too well, I think you've got a right to go enjoy yourselves someplace else."

We looked at each other, said "Great!", hugged our parents, and left without goodbyes to the bridal party or extended family members. We went and had quiet meal at a nice restaurant all alone. We should have eloped to begin with and saved ourselves the angst, though my parents would have been very, very, very angry because they are such traditionalists.

I was prepared to provide a traditional cake if necessary along with dd's pie...but no matter what, dd was having the desserts she wanted because I'm not playing that "the wedding is about EVERYONE else" game. But since the concensus is that it really isn't necessary and cupcakes are apparently wildly popular, we'll save ourselves the crazy expense of the standard, dry, overly sweet, decorated stacks of cake from the bakery.

Thanks everyone! :001_smile: You are all so great and as the months go by I know I'll be on here more with questions.

I'd post a picture of the first fabric flower, but it didn't turn out so great. I thought I bought wired, organza ribbon, and oops...it's NOT! The poor thing is a floppy mess. For what it's worth, I can see the potential in it, but just with ribbon that is going to hold its shape. I used a little gold, filagree bead with a small fake pearl in the center, and that was a lovely finishing touch. So, I'll snip the bead off and save it for a flower that is a keeper.

Note to self, it's an hour one way to JoAnn's, Michael's, and Hobby Lobby, be extra careful to READ the package and hate to say it, it's been three years since the last pair of glasses and possibly, I need new ones in order to read the fine print....GRRRRRRRR I hate being 44. :glare:

Faith