Menu

Poll (wait for it!): how many bookcases do you own?

How many bookcases are in your home?  

1. 1. How many bookcases are in your home?

• 0-who needs bookcases? Bah!
    • 1-2
    • 3-4
    • 5-6
    • 7-9
    • 10-12
    • 12-14
    • 16-19
    • 20 or more
    • You people are crazy. I just like to vote in polls.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, for a whole room of built-in bookshelves, does that count as 1 total, 1 per wall, or should I count each ceiling to floor unit? :tongue_smilie:

I counted each unit as 1 bookcase. Although I have some that are double-wide (not built-ins) and I counted them each as one instead of two.

So, for a whole room of built-in bookshelves, does that count as 1 total, 1 per wall, or should I count each ceiling to floor unit? :tongue_smilie:

How about if you have 2 units stacked to be floor to ceiling? is that 1 or 2?

We are in the middle of moving and have 10 foldable bookcases (these are what we want to replace with Billys. 1 Billy will replace 2 of these!). And 1 separate bookcase in our son's room. I voted 6 but its technically 11. But with the new house I have a feeling that number will be expanding...

Okay, my answer is not on your poll. I got 15 - your poll goes from 14 to 16! Which should I choose? ;)

I have 15, too. I chose the 16 option bc I figured the area under the coffee table which is stacked with about 30 books could count in the absence of my true number.

I voted 16-19, but I think I actually have more....oy!!!

I had dh build a continuous shelf over all the window and door frames in our living room, kitchen & family room....they house our books....PLUS, I had him remove the sheetrock and build shelves between the joists of our knee walls for extra paperback storage....so those line the walls...

THEN...I had him build shelves in our dorma closets....books....

Each kid has an additional full freestanding bookshelf in their room...

Linen closet.....books.

Family room storage closet.....ummmmm....books...

This is almost embarassing.....but, also kinda cool.....:D

Thirteen, plus a built-in in a closet that is not meant to be used as a bookcase, but I use it as such. Three are Billy, and two more are from IKEA but are some other model.

Sadly, thirteen bookcases are not sufficient space to hold all of our books (though I admit three of the bookcases have a few shelves devoted to other things, such as LPs and games and pet supplies). I recently donated 200+ books and STILL can't fit all of ours on the shelves. We have no more wall space, so I will soon purge some more books.

I thought I had fifteen, which is not an option in your poll, but then I remembered I forgot two. Two of these are small amd stacked on top of each other.

I have two skinny Billys and one wider one (regular depth shelves). I have acquired a lot of other ones from random sources including people moving away. Some of them are other IKEA shelves, but the Billys are the best of them. I have a couple real wood ones that are a bit more interesting looking, too.

I said 8, but I want to buy 3 more this fall. I have to drive 4hrs to get to the nearest IKEA, so I have to be patient.

I used to have to drive an hour and a half to the nearest IKEA. with our new house, we're 6.7 miles away (as the bird flies. It takes 20 minutes to fly) I suspect many more IKEA trips in the future!

I have 15, too. I chose the 16 option bc I figured the area under the coffee table which is stacked with about 30 books could count in the absence of my true number.

I should probably pick the larger number too, as I have two more large bookshelves which are currently empty (as the kids emptied them to make them part of their Playmobil empire), but now that they don't play there much anymore, it may be time to reclaim them. I have boxes of books in the attic that I have no space for - I meant to bring them down when we built the whole room of bookshelves, but somehow that got filled up in 1 day with the kids' books. There are also somehow still books on every surface, and a pile of library books by the back door. And I have put bins of picture books and easy readers up in the attic already, which aren't coming back down.

Help, we're drowning! :lol:

Wait - I completely forgot about a couple of shelves of books above the stereo - I've legitimately hit 16!

I used to have to drive an hour and a half to the nearest IKEA. with our new house, we're 6.7 miles away (as the bird flies. It takes 20 minutes to fly) I suspect many more IKEA trips in the future!

We about 230miles away from the IKEA. It is the one stop that I won't negotiate on when we go to the city. I might not get another chance to go there for many months.

I voted 6. We have 2 in the living room, 2 built-in bookshelves in the office/school room, and 1 in my youngest son's room and one in my middle son's room. My oldest son has shelves, but his hold legos rather than books.

Plus 2 kindles which are like little digital bookshelves....

Keeping in mind we moved from the US to BR 5 years ago with only one pallet of stuff shipped over (sigh) and you'll understand why it's only 6 bookshelves, not more. And why we went digital.

19 :) I'd have more but I'm mostly out of wall space. Most are Sauder.

I also have 5 desks.

My husband likes to keep me out of office supply stores. It gets expensive.

I have a friend who bought a new house and turned a bedroom into a library. Bookshelves all along the walls and had some built so there are 3 rows of bookshelves (like a library) through the room. And he ran out of space anyway. :lol:

We share a house with my in-laws, so I only counted the ones I use, which is 3. There are beautiful built-ins in the living room, plus 2 large bookcases in my fil's room, but they are not being used for books.:eek: I would love to get my hands (or books) on them and put them out of their misery.:001_smile:

I only have 2, floor to ceiling on either side of my tv, cheap O's from Walmart. I got so many lectures while filling them up too! (eye roll). My grandmother has three in her living room, two in her bedroom, one in her garage plus an extra bedroom converted into an actual library with wall to wall bookshelfs and two more in back to back in the center of the room.

I counted 17 but then there's also the milk crates, the overflow stacks, and the currently-being-read piles, and the kindles. It's at the point now that we are getting to have a better collection than the local library.

Hi, I'm Jessica, and I have an addiction.

I have a bedroom that we converted to a library with built-ins floor to ceiling all the way around. We have a couple in our school area, and a custom one in our basement family room that is 8' hide and 12' wide. I still don't have room for them all! I have stacks of books on the floor of my library that need a home.

I should probably pick the larger number too, as I have two more large bookshelves which are currently empty (as the kids emptied them to make them part of their Playmobil empire), but now that they don't play there much anymore, it may be time to reclaim them. I have boxes of books in the attic that I have no space for - I meant to bring them down when we built the whole room of bookshelves, but somehow that got filled up in 1 day with the kids' books. There are also somehow still books on every surface, and a pile of library books by the back door. And I have put bins of picture books and easy readers up in the attic already, which aren't coming back down.

Help, we're drowning! :lol:

Wait - I completely forgot about a couple of shelves of books above the stereo - I've legitimately hit 16!

:D Yes, I have attic bins and stacked end tables and, right now, since we just got home from the library, books piled on the seat of an armchair.

I grew up in a house full of books. Dh did not. He finds my decorating style a bit odd.;)

I think you win!!! LOL :)

I have a bedroom that we converted to a library with built-ins floor to ceiling all the way around. We have a couple in our school area, and a custom one in our basement family room that is 8' hide and 12' wide. I still don't have room for them all! I have stacks of books on the floor of my library that need a home.

I have 25 Billys (narrow/tall with toppers and glass doors), two tall and wide bookcases from Costco, and a tall library shelving cart bought from a Borders bookstore.

We lived in a 900 square feet house and had the first 18 Billys (narrow/tall). I prefer the narrow ones because the books don't flop, and everything looks great behind glass doors. And the Billys we like best are only 11 inches deep to fit along the walls of high traffic areas.

I voted 16-19, but I think I actually have more....oy!!!

I had dh build a continuous shelf over all the window and door frames in our living room, kitchen & family room....they house our books....PLUS, I had him remove the sheetrock and build shelves between the joists of our knee walls for extra paperback storage....so those line the walls...

You just gave me an idea! "Oh hubby......" :lol:

I miscounted - we have 14 and they are all mismatched. I'm putting off going to ikea because we don't have the money right now *sob* and I want billys to replace the shelves in my bedroom.

Over 20. I'm not wandering through the house to count right now.

About 15 of them are from Big Lots...cheap but they work.

I have 4 BILLYs, the wide ones. I also have a 5x5 EXPEDIT, one 2X2, and 2 5x2s.

Kind of insane when you move as much as we have the past few years. :lol:

I have 8, but some of them house things other than books. I have 2 floor to celieng IKEA BESTA units in my sewing room for all of my crafty/hobby type books, and fabric on the bottom ones.

I have 3 BESTA units with doors in the living room for our school stuff, and printers. One to ceiling Billy in the eating area for just books.

I wish I had a good idea of how to keep all books in one place, but that won't work. I kind of have books everywhere. I did not count nightstands stacked with books, or my desk. Oh my I could get lost under my desk pile

I have five tall billy's in my "library", and wouldn't mind some more. 1dd has three tall billy's with extensions. she also has a narrow billy with a door.

we both have one short billy.

then I have a bookcase that is the size of three billys wide. (I'm replacing this one, but not sure with what.)

then two more smaller bookcases.

oh, then I have a built in corner desk with a full width hutch of bookcases.