Menu

Colorado Hive members, please check in. (Shooting in Aurora)

I woke up at 5:30 this morning unable to fall back asleep. I turned on the news to check the weather and learned of the shooting at the midnight showing of Batman in Aurora, CO. Lord, have mercy! (Edited for accuracy) 12 dead and 38(?) injured (so far).

I emailed my friends in Parker. I will call later to check on them. My dd's former debate partner loves movies and is a great movie critic. I hope he was not there!

Edited by Angie in VA
To correct #s of dead and wounded. :(

That just ticks me off. I'm glad they found him but according the article I read, there is no motive mentioned yet. The youngest victim being treated is a 6 year old at a children's hospital. :(

Sounds like Mom wasn't surprised, and I'm betting he has paranoia.

Lord have mercy. We live north by about 1.5 hours, but the in laws are there..

That's the theater DH takes his brother to see movies. His brother is mentally ill and he's very scared, he has a hard enough time leaving the house.

Prayers for the families involved.

That is what I think too. When I heard the mother's response, I thought it is so probably paranoid schizophrenia. Oh, and my research work showed that in another area where crime happens, it still is the usual suspects as to who does the crime- young males. So while lots of people may be delusional, the women and older men tend to be a lot safer and the young males are the most dangerous- just like the crime trends in non psychotic people.

An aside here, but what were a 3 month old and a 6 year old doing at a midnight showing of a movie??? Particularly what most likely promised to be a loud, intense, violent movie?

Such pointless violence makes me sad and extremely angry at the same time. What is the answer to these things that have been happening with increasing freqency? Better mental health treatment? Parenting support? What will it take to make it safe to go to the movie theater?

And please don't say gun control, because I fully believe that anyone that disturbed would resort to other weapons to murder people if guns weren't available.

Why Colorado? Seems like that state has had more than their fair share of such problems.

An aside here, but what were a 3 month old and a 6 year old doing at a midnight showing of a movie??? Particularly what most likely promised to be a loud, intense, violent movie?

Such pointless violence makes me sad and extremely angry at the same time. What is the answer to these things that have been happening with increasing freqency? Better mental health treatment? Parenting support? What will it take to make it safe to go to the movie theater?

And please don't say gun control, because I fully believe that anyone that disturbed would resort to other weapons to murder people if guns weren't available.

Why Colorado? Seems like that state has had more than their fair share of such problems.

That was my thought, too. Totally just a side thought though! It in no way makes it less tragic! Just very unfortunate.

My BIL is a paranoid schizophrenic. Families of these people get pretty much ZERO support from the state until the person starts breaking laws. Even then, my bil was arrested multiple times on assault before any judge started paying attention. The first couple just jailed and released him. I think it was his 3rd or 4th assault charge (on random people riding the train or eating at BK) before a judge committed him long term. In between, there wasn't a darn thing any of us could do to keep him on his meds. He's in a group home now where he's forced to take his meds.

You know what, I've known him since he was 14. Since before his first break. He was a great kid. Funny, smart....... and now I'm too scared to be around him. And this guy who did the shootings, I bet he used to be a good kid too. All hell is going to come down on him now, but he didn't choose this disease. And I bet if that mom had any way to keep him on the meds, she would have. Mental health support isn't an optional government expense. It's for the greater good that the state help these families. I don't know what could make that more clear than 14 people dead at a movie theater.

:crying:

My irl friend and her 14 yr old went a midnight showing here in Va. I would not have thought that this sort of event would be the target of such a thought out/planned gunman attack.

The news reported that the gunman set off a smoke device first and was wearing a mask. That makes sense with a smoke device, but doesn't the bad guy in the movie wear a device that looks like a gas mask? Is this a coincidence or was this guy intentionally mimicking the antagonist?

Maybe a breastfeeding mom wanted to see a movie. As far as the 6 y.o., he might have been a big comic book fan.

My guess is the guy was nuts and there were plenty of signs he was unstable... like the Senator Giffords shooting.

My oldest went to her first movie at around 6 months old. She was nursed and she pretty much slept through the whole movie which was True Lies - so pretty loud in parts. A young baby is easier to take than a toddler or preschooler.

I used to be a seasonal worker at Penneys, which is the closest mall store to the theater. We lived in that area for most of the first 8 years we were married.

I'm still waiting to hear from my insurance agent (a friend who is kind of the information hub for our friends there) about dh's goddaughter and her twin sister. They're 14, and it would be like them to go to a movie premiere ... this is the closest theater to their house.

My oldest went to her first movie at around 6 months old. She was nursed and she pretty much slept through the whole movie which was True Lies - so pretty loud in parts. A young baby is easier to take than a toddler or preschooler.

Yeah, we took my oldest to the movies a few times, starting at about 2 months. Nighttime showings were best, because we had reasonable assurance that, if he woke at all, he'd just nurse back to sleep. We sat on the aisle near an exit and were fully prepared to leave if necessary, but it never was.

Probably wouldn't have gone to a midnight showing of a new, popular movie though. Too much worry about annoying hardcore fans. We figured that, by the second week or so, anyone who really cared had had their chance.

My parents took me with them to see one of the Star Wars movies when I was a nursing baby. Apparently a loud noise made me jerk around suddenly to see what it was - not pleasant for my mom, and motivation for us to stick to more sedate movies with nursing babies :)

:crying:

My irl friend and her 14 yr old went a midnight showing here in Va. I would not have thought that this sort of event would be the target of such a thought out/planned gunman attack.

The news reported that the gunman set off a smoke device first and was wearing a mask. That makes sense with a smoke device, but doesn't the bad guy in the movie wear a device that looks like a gas mask? Is this a coincidence or was this guy intentionally mimicking the antagonist?

I haven't gotten to google about this yet...I only heard what my mil told me on the phone this afternoon. They are about 30 miles away. She said he was playing the part of The Joker. There was a scene (must have been the last Batman movie?), where The Joker did something similar.

OK, I'm sad about all of it, but I saw this photo yesterday (taken before he knew if his son was OK or not) and then saw on the news this morning that this man's son did die yesterday. On his 27th birthday. And his 1st anniversary is tomorrow, I think. So sad.

Photo removed 9-13-14

Was over in Aurora this weekend, and drove back to Western Colorado Sunday. This even, however, touches everyone, whether a Coloradoan or not. I just can't believe how often this is happening, how hardened we are to it, how nothing changes with each passing event. Blogged about it, and realized that really what we can do is to do what we are already doing...raising kids who are healthy and whole, reaching out where we can and see the need.

Living in America today, it seems the only question to ask these days is "Where next?". I am broken hearted for so many.

Cindy

My brother and SIL live 2 miles from that theater and my sister and BIL live 2 blocks from there. They were both planning to be there that night to see Batman and changed their minds last min (which I didnt know about). I was terrified when I saw this thread yesterday morning and spent the day talking with my family. My brother and SIL did have a friend who was there but she was unharmed. They are still waiting to find out about other friends. They also have a lot of friends who were at the Columbine shooting and have said they are having a really hard time with all this. It is really hitting their community hard. :grouphug::grouphug:to all those effected by this!