Menu

What veggies routinely go into your cart?

Apart from lettuces and onions what are the 10-12 most common veggies you buy each week. A poster on another thread mentioned never buying certain veggies that we eat regularly and it got me to wondering about veg preferences. So what veggies go into the grocery cart regularly?

Ours are ::

kale

broccoli

arugula

spinach

yams

avos

spuds

peppers

tomatoes seasonally

root veggies--beets, carrots etc

Kale, broccoli, cauliflour (sp), artichokes, asparagus, salad greens, spinach, zucchini...

This year we have grown: corn, tomatoes, bell peppers, jalapenos, snap peas, tomatoes and a couple kinds of squash...

Hey, I bet that was me. :blush: (ETA: On the other thread, I said I didn't buy squash and eggplant ever. 'Cause I don't. We just don't eat those. It's not that we dislike them, but they're not that great and I don't know how to cook them well, and yeah.)

We buy:

green beans

lettuce

corn

tomatoes

cucumbers

bell peppers

broccoli

peas

carrots

celery

asparagus

brussel sprouts

Edited by bethanyniez

I don't think of onions, garlic, tomatoes, potatoes, peppers (green bell peppers, red bell peppers, and jalapenos), or carrots as vegetables--we nearly always cut them up to add to another dish, so I guess I think of them as seasonings. I think of lettuce as either a sandwich topper or salad, so it is also not something I think of as a vegetable. We only use pumpkin for pumpkin bread/muffins or pumpkin brownies, though I have often wanted to try it another way.

Vegetables I buy otherwise:

• broccoli
  • cauliflower
  • peas
  • corn
  • green beans
  • cabbage
  • brussels sprouts
  • spaghetti squash
  • zucchini
  • yellow squash
  • butternut squash

There are a few others I buy once in a while, but these are the ones we buy often.

Organic spinach, carrots, cucumbers, organic bell peppers, tomatoes if we don't have ripe ones from our garden, celery, broccoli, cauliflower, sweet potatoes, green beans. Often I'll have some sort of squash and some sort of greens like kale. In the summer, I'll usually buy a few ears of corn. In the winter I usually buy a bunch of root vegetables (though not beets or turnips :ack2:). I also have a big bag of frozen mixed veggies (corn/peas/carrots/green beans).

Spring mix lettuce for me

Iceberg lettuce for my husband because he is a Neanderthal :D

Tomatoes (Roma and grape)

Cucumber

Yellow squash (but no others because even though I like them, he doesn't and they end up half wasted)

Red/orange/yellow peppers (lots of these!)

Green beans

Sugar snap peas

Edamame

Broccoli

Asparagus (probably my favorite veggie)

Celery (just for me and my daughter though)

I almost never buy artichokes, radishes, carrots (I hate them), brussels sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, or the more exotic veggies because my husband doesn't like them and they aren't as important to me. Can you tell I have a really picky husband? Drives me nuts sometimes. :angry:

Nearly any; we do not buy beets, turnips, rutabagas, or chard. Oh, and cauliflower. Otherwise, I will buy nearly every veggie available to me. Not all the time, as we try to eat seasonally within reason, but there aren't any other veggies we avoid. :001_smile:

My list may be the shortest. We actually do fruits better than veggies here.

Mixed greens

Corn (does that count?)

Carrots

Various beans

Peas

Sometimes celery, broccoli, cauliflower, cucumbers

My sister comes over and cooks with onions, tomatoes, peppers

Onion

Garlic

Tomatoes

Carrots

Organic Leafy greens or a salad mix

Asparagus (my toddler cries for roasted asparagus when he sees it come out of the oven, and then eats it like candy, so we eat it frequently, plus it's on the clean 15.)

Broccoli

Cabbage (often shredded)

Organic bell pepper when we can find it

Mushrooms

Bok choy

organic potatoes

Cauliflower

Organic Spinach

Summer squash right now, spaghetti and butternut in winter

Zucchini

Avocado

Seaweed (kids love roasted seaweed)

Some of those arent technically veggies, but we consider them so. I am trying to make more kale so just got some yesterday to make chips for my toddler, but it's not a regular yet.

Onions

Potatoes

Mushrooms

Cucumbers

Carrots

Celery

Zucchini

Tomatoes

Sweet Potatoes

Collard Greens (in the winter)

Green Beans

Napa Cabbage, Korean Radish, Asian Chives (only buy these at the Asian store, and maybe only 3-4 times a year... but I buy like 10 lbs at a time to make kimchi)

And I almost always have the following frozen veggies in my freezer:

Brussels Sprouts

Butter Beans

Corn

Peas

Tomatoes

Potatoes

Sweet potatoes

Broccoli

Cauliflower

Carrots

Eggplant

Zucchini

Cucumber

Green beans

Bell peppers

Corn

Greens to be cooked (spinach, swiss chard, collard, etc)

I occasionally buy winter squash seasonally. I only really buy frozen peas.

we don't buy produce weekly, can't afford it, and when we do there is never 10-12 in the cart lol

But you buy carrots, celery, broccoli, cucumber, tomatoes(okay okay it's a fruit but whatever), sometimes snap peas, squash and if on sale we buy corn on the cob, & peppers

edamame

baby bok choy

broccoli

corn

tomatoes

onions

mushrooms

zucchini (although I'm the only one who likes it)

romaine lettuce

spring lettuce mix (mostly for the bunnies)

carrots

Those are our main ones.

Wendi

We routinely buy:

Onions

Garlic

Lettuce

Zucchini

Broccoli

Bell Peppers

Carrots

Celery

Corn (usually frozen)

Peas (also usually frozen)

We should probably have a greater variety. To be honest the produce here is never all that great to begin with and there are certain things (like green beans, spinach, cucumbers, tomatoes etc) that I can't stand to buy at the store. After having them fresh from the garden for most of my growing up years I can't hardly choke down the commercially grown varieties. They're kind of tasteless ans unpleasant for me...

I post pictures of all my CSA veggies on my blog.

This week we got:

a giant kohlrabi

big tomatoes

cherry tomatoes

cucumbers

zucchini

basil

broccoli

onion

romaine lettuce

beets

We also got blueberries in this week's share.

In the winter when I choose my own veggies, I regularly buy:

carrots

potatoes

lettuces

spinach

chard

kale

red peppers

onions

broccoli

avocados

and whatever I feel like juicing that week, could be

beets

sweet potatoes

cucumbers

celery

cabbage

fennel

parsley

or a whole bunch of other stuff. I LOVE VEGGIES!

Every week:

Spring Mix Salad

carrots

onions

garlic

peppers (green or red)

Often:

Potatoes

cucumbers

celery

peppers (smaller, chili type peppers)

corn

lima beans

peas

We are much bigger fruit eaters than vegie eaters. I like the Spring Mix since I don't feel like I need to add other vegies to it. I just add some kind of nut, some kind of cheese, and a little salad dressing, and I have lunch (along with some bread).

Bell peppers (dd loves them for hummus)

Cucumbers

Tomatoes

Spring lettuce mix or spinach, I also like buying butter lettuce for lettuce wraps

Red onions, (I just prefer red, I use them in everything)

Carrots

Celery

Sweet potatoes

Squash (zucchini or yellow)

Butternut squash

Avocado

Greenbeans

I buy frozen peas/corn/greenbeans (In addition to fresh, I buy frozen greenbeans for soup/stews) peppers (I use frozen peppers for crockpot or soup to save $$)

I make a lot of soups and stews. I generally buy produce from Costco so these are in larger quantities.

Edited by Sis

From the produce section I purchase pretty much every week:

Spring mix

Baby Spinach

Leeks

Cucumber

Celery

Carrots

Broccoli

Cauliflower

Summer squash

Bell peppers

Avocado

Tomatoes

Garlic

Cabbage

Napa Cabbage or bok choy

Mushrooms

Rutabaga

Turnips if I can find them

Sweet potatoes (3)

Russet Potatoes(3)

Small red potatoes

Things I get periodically are:

Winter squashes

Baby cooking greens

Things I avoid:

Eggplant

Leaf lettuces

Then there are the handful of fruits we will eat, but that is another thread.

We get a box delivered, so I haven't been veggie shopping for ages and ages. If I was shopping for a specific recipe, I could be buying anything, but if I had nothing in mind and was just stocking up:

Summer

Baby spinach

Rocket

Tomato

Carrot

Zucchini

Mushroom

Onion

Garlic

Cucumber

Avocado

and okra if I could find it.

Winter

The same as above but also soup veggies like:

Potato

Parsnip

Swede

I can't think of many veggies I'd rather toss in the worm farm than eat. Radciccio is nasty, I don't buy other endives or yellow squash (because zucchini tastes better,) we don't like radishes. I wouldn't buy a turnip if I could have a swede. That's it, I think.

Ooh, reading further down the thread, someone mentioned seaweed. They only sell in small, expensive packets at the health food shop, but when I can wangle it, I buy some!

:)

Rosie

Edited by Rosie_0801

My dh is picky about vegetables, so the things we buy regularly are limited. When I feel like making the extra effort, I pick up collards, squash, rutabagas, beets, or parsnips and make one of these in addition to something he will eat. When it's in season, I get asparagus and steam it with broccoli or green beans. DH also likes cauliflower, but for some reason I almost never fix it.

Fresh:

Onions

Carrots

Celery

Broccoli

Green Beans

Lettuce

Potatoes

Sweet potatoes

Corn

Frozen

Green peas

Brussels sprouts

Edited by cottonmama

We get a CSA box and grow our own, so we don't buy a ton at the grocery store. Our most used vegetables after onions and lettuce (in no particular order):

Kale

Swiss chard

Tomatoes

Carrots

Snap peas (when available)

Basil

Leeks

Cucumber

Spinach

Potatoes

Sweet potatoes

Squash/Pumpkin

Broccoli

Cat

Routinely:

Carrots

Cucumber

Red Peppers

Green Peppers

Celery

Kale

Brussel Sprouts

Cabbage

Bok Choy

Turnips

Parsnip

Potatoes

Tomatoes

Broccoli

Cauliflower

Mushrooms

On occasion I will buy:

Asparagus

Bean Sprouts

Zucchini

Radishes

Beets

Kohlrabi

Celeriac

Spaghetti Squash

Butternut Squash

Something that looks interesting

Never, ever, ever, willingly buy:

Eggplant

It is somewhat seasonal, but right now, in addition to Romaine and onions:

Garlic

Carrots

Broccoli

Peppers (Green, yellow, red, orange)

Kale (for Kale chips!)

Cukes

Tomatoes (cherry or grape until the local ones come in; also dried)

Green beans

Peas

Cabbage

Fresh spinach

Guacamole

Once the local squash comes in, we'll have zucchini and yellow squash

Occasionally: Corn on the cob (love it, but love it with butter, so we keep it as a treat), cauliflower (it seems to go brown fast and half my kids don't like it), potatoes

In the winter, sweet potatoes & pumpkin would make a frequent showing

Onions

Garlic

Tomatoes

Potatoes

Cabbage

Greens for cooking (kohlrabi, turnips, chard, etc)

Romaine

Asparagus

Brussels sprouts

Green beans

Corn

Carrots

Celery

Cucumbers

Green, red, and yellow bell peppers

Those are the veggies I buy most often.

I really don't buy much fresh unless it looks really good, we're not big veggie eaters.

I routinely although not every week buy

cucumbers

tomatoes

some sort of lettuce

Occasionally I'll buy a red pepper, but I can only eat them raw and they give me terrible heartburn.

If I plan to make mashed potatoes I'll buy a few, but not something we keep on hand all the time. I used to buy them all the time, but they would mostly end up rotten before we could eat them so I just buy a few at a time when I plan a meal that will need them.

We don't eat kale, collards or other similar greens, beets, rutabagas or squash.

I almost always have:

lettuce

spinach

avocado

carrots

celery

bell peppers

kale

cabbage

bok choi

potatoes

broccoli

cauliflower

Seasonly I'll buy asparagus, sweet potatoes, pumpkin, squash, etc.

We also eat lots of tomatoes, but only in the summer and only those that are homegrown. I rarely buy them and when I do I'm pretty much always disappointed. I'm the same way with snap peas, snow peas and green beans- always homegrown, almost never purchased. If I have to buy green beans I get the frozen haricot verts from Trader Joe's. Although I will buy bell peppers on sale at the store (never full price) I also prefer those to be homegrown too. Zucchini is on other vegetable that I don't think I've *ever* purchased in a store, but we have quite a bit of it this time of year from our own garden plus extra zucchini that friends and neighbors are desperately trying to give away. ;-)

Edited by Wabi Sabi

I wouldn't buy a turnip if I could have a swede.

What's the difference? I don't know that I've ever seen a swede vegetable. I thought it was British for turnip.

I do think courgettes is the cutest vegetable word ever.

Regulars:

Peas

Broccoli

Green Peppers

Green beans (sometimes)

Potatoes (occasionally - for things like chili and baked potato)

Carrots - either baby or matchstick, the kids eat them raw quite often

Also romaine lettuce and onions, but you said OTHER than those :) I'm sure there's more, but I'm blanking out right now.

Carrots, Broccoli (kiddo loves broc), onions, bell peppers, lettuce, tomatoes, celery, green beans, zucc. If they look good: potatoes, cucks, cauliflower, snow peas, baby bok choy or napa cabbage. Sometimes: leek, spring onions, bulb fennel, cabbage, asparagus, you name, we eat it. Even beets and turnips.

I don't know that we buy the same veggies every week, except carrots.

Always have in freezer:

peas, brussels sprouts, corn, green beans, broccoli, cauliflower

Buy fresh regularly, depending on season & what looks good in store:

carrots, celery, various types of lettuce, potatoes, broccoli, cauliflower, parsnips, leeks, shallots, spinach, cucumber, sweet potato, acorn squash, butternut squash, garlic, tomatoes, jicama, various types of mushrooms, scallions, green beans, brussels sprouts, asparagus

Buy sometimes:

white or red onions (most of my family hates onions & I only like them sometimes), radishes, peppers (again, most of family doesn't like)

We also try to pick out at least one fruit or veggie each week that is new to us or that we rarely eat. Plus, some veggies only get purchased for specific foods, like Napa cabbage for dumplings.

Never, ever, ever, willingly buy:

Eggplant

Though I won't say never, I have to say that I have no fondness for this veggie and haven't bought it in years.

I have enjoyed seeing all the lists. We seem to be a veggie-loving bunch here on WTM :D

It depends on the season, and what we are able to get from local peeps, and what we were able to can/freeze.

I find myself often needing boxed tomatoes (some years I am able to can plenty, but other years are more sparse), apples, bananas (one of ours has a great need for them due to a crazy- high activity level), carrots, onions (have never been able to save enough from summer). If we haven't been able to save enugh of other items from the garden, I will buy frozen organic spinach by the case, as I do think there is bang for the buck there. I think similarly of sweet potatoes, garlic, and herbs (which never seem to last! Same darn category as onions!). I store hebs as I can, mostly by drying, and parsely, especially. I try to freeze pesto, although I am always surprised by how fast we go through the stuff. Some herbs last a long time in the garder and/or over-winter (sage, tarragon here). Parsely also does well in glass jars when covered in kosher salt.

I don't tend to worry about great variety, nutritionally. (Desire is something else. lol) We humans living in snow-locked areas were lucky if we managed to connect with oranges. lol

I don't tend to buy lettuces, tomatoes, peppers, corn, cucs etc in winter. Those foods are special , and so wonderful here in season. We just wait.

I love summer where we are. We don't have to shop in supermarkets for fruits or veggies. I am able to stock up on apples (they do store well), and I freeze various fruits. We are able to store local butternut and other hard squashes as well.

The winter does often feel so very long. :( I have been known to get quite teary at the last of the frozen garden spinach or raspberries, or the last butternut. lol My kids sometimes chuckle, but they seem t get me. lol We are very grateful for the stupik supermarket! We love avocados, for instance. I don't know how mothers of the past managed as well --or not--as they did.

I love March. That's when you can see the little lettuce and spinach sprouts poke through.:) It's also when you can put in the peas. :)

Edited by LibraryLover

Assuming today is a regular day then:

Broccoli

Cauliflower

Turnip

Beets

Carrots

Potatoes - sweet and yukon

Lettuce

Mushrooms

Kale

I'd have like to have bought okra but there wasn't any at the store.

We can't get some of the vegetables others have listed here very often (like kale, chard or bok choy), but regulars we do buy fresh are:

Carrots

Onions

Potatoes of various varieties

Broccoli

Cauliflower

Cucumber

Mushrooms of various varieties

Mielies (Corn on the cob)

Baby Marrows (Zucchini)

Yellow Pattypans

Sugar snap peas

Bell peppers (red, green or yellow)

Butternut

Pumpkin

Gem squash (which I don't think is common anywhere else in the world).

And less often we get fresh beans, peas and spinach.