Menu

Does homeschooling cause depression and low self-esteem ...

In the teaching parent?

I am all :confused::confused:

And was wondering if anyone thinks this is just a side effect of homeschooling.....

Faithe

I think it's because of the general lack of encouragement or affirmation from our kids, family, friends, and perfect strangers combined with the bottomless drain on body, mind, and soul.

The act of homeschooling is far easier than the cocktail above.

I think it's because of the general lack of encouragement or affirmation from our kids, family, friends, and perfect strangers combined with the bottomless drain on body, mind, and soul.

:iagree:

When you have a regular paycheck coming in, that feels like some kind of validation for your work. Homeschooling sometimes take years to "pay" off. I know that's not why I do it, but at the same time, a little "atta girl" from somebody some time is nice, especially from the important people in my life. I've taken to rewarding myself in little ways, chocolate helps.

Seriously, the best thing I've found that works is positive self affirmation and adopting a spirit of optimism. Negative thought habits can spiral out of control very easily.

I can see that happening if you do nothing but honeschool your kids and take care of the house. If you don't get out and spend time with friends or do something fun for yourself. I work outside the home 3-5 days a week for a few hours in the evening. We go to a co-op with a purpose of providing mom's with social time with other qdults while the.kids are entertained and educated. I love being home with my kids, but I would be depressed if I never left the house and if I were not dancing anymore.

No, depression is a biochemical imbalance. Stress can precipitate an episode in a genetically vulnerable individual, but that's true for ANY stressor. There's nothing about homeschooling per se that triggers depression.

I would imagine that for many HS moms who struggle with depression, the hormonal changes associated with perimenopause plays a larger role in triggering episodes than anything else.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: to anyone who struggles with depression.

I don't think it helps if you're naturally prone to depression, it can be very stressful and isolating. I think you need quite a bit of insight into how to manage yourself, your needs, your emotions, and those of your family. Good support is also a must - my DH is very supportive, and, of course, there's always the Hive :001_smile:.

I think that homeschooling requires showing so much confidence to the outside world that it can lead to feeling really alone inside. And this is the time of year where you're probably starting to see the back to school stuff starting up, which is always when I (and DD) question homeschooling the most. There's just something about seeing the rows of cute jumpers and blouses and the piles of school supplies in Target that makes homeschooling feel like I'm depriving DD of something important.

The biggest help, for me, is ordering that last round of curriculum materials. I need a box day in July/August :).

No, depression is a biochemical imbalance. Stress can precipitate an episode in a genetically vulnerable individual, but that's true for ANY stressor. There's nothing about homeschooling per se that triggers depression.

:iagree: That said, I have noticed that because of the time commitments for homeschooling, mothers as a rule try to do too much at once. There seems to be something of a "Wonder-Woman" effect that can be addictive. It is nice to be complimented on how many things you can juggle at once: work, housekeeping, cooking, home-education, etc, and to hear how "well-balanced" your life is. But it is also easy to overload on "things to do" at the expense of personal well-being. For years I neglected exercise, failing to remember that regular running was the very thing I used to great effect in combating stress in school. Getting up at 5:30 and hitting the track, combined with walking through the gardens in the evening after studying kept me from feeling overwhelmed. But I neglected that when I left school and began to work, and it sent me into a tailspin. I think that stress by itself, if not prolonged isn't much of an issue, no more than one bad day. But if the stress becomes chronic, and a woman can find no peaceful place in her life to just be, I think depression, anxiety and restlessness are sure to be lurking.

Just as a caution from someone who has been there and done that, anyone who feels they have depression, or thinks they may have it, GET YOURSELF evaluated. You don't want to mess around with this. You can have all the wonderful advice and plans about how to manage stress, and all the support of a loving family and depression will still find a way to hurt you. One of the most debilitating things about depression is the utter darkness and inability to DO anything about it. Treatment is needed to help overcome that. Part of being able to find things to reduce stress is the ability to SEE, and depression keeps you from being able to see.

I would imagine that for many HS moms who struggle with depression, the hormonal changes associated with perimenopause plays a larger role in triggering episodes than anything else.

Depression is a biochemical imbalance, and no amount of positive thinking will make it go away. However, homeschooling can be stressful, lonely, and isolating which can bring down even someone without depression.

I think it depends on the individual. Some people are more prone to depression than others.

I can only speak for myself, but I haven't had that problem. I feel like homeschooling boosts my self-esteem. I love what I do. Now granted, my kids have always been cooperative about it and so I haven't had the negativity that I've read about on the boards. That would be stressful, I'm sure.

I'm also very grateful to have a supportive husband who always tells me how much he appreciates what I do. He is helpful and goes the extra mile with anything I've ever needed him to do.

My friends and neighbors are supportive, too. They regularly compliment me and I'm the one they go to for advice if their kids are struggling in their brick and mortar schools. That's always made me laugh. I have several neighbors that are PS teachers and we've always gotten along well, and they even make comments like, "I wish I could do what you do in my classroom."

So, I think if you are prone to depression and don't have an outstanding support system, homeschooling could be a trigger. It's hard work, and it's work the outside world generally doesn't see you doing, which makes it harder.

In the summer, I often had (and still have) my kids' friends come over for part of our unit studies (we do school until July and they're all out of PS at the end of May). The kids always have a blast and go home with glowing reports of how much fun homeschool is. It's a great way to build bridges with the neighbors (they're thrilled I have their kids for a couple hours each day) and open a dialogue on homeschooling. They have always come away impressed and I have more people to support me on my journey. :D

If you're truly feeling low, then please get some help. Real depression doesn't usually get better on its own, and it will start to affect those around you. :grouphug:

When you have a regular paycheck coming in, that feels like some kind of validation for your work. Homeschooling sometimes take years to "pay" off. I know that's not why I do it, but at the same time, a little "atta girl" from somebody some time is nice, especially from the important people in my life. I've taken to rewarding myself in little ways, chocolate helps.

Seriously, the best thing I've found that works is positive self affirmation and adopting a spirit of optimism. Negative thought habits can spiral out of control very easily.

:001_smile:

I used to be depressed to the point of having a suicide plan (before homeschooling). I took antidepressants for a year and a half before I decided I had enough of that. I keep depression at bay by taking care of my needs and very deliberately changing my thinking patterns.

I can see that happening if you do nothing but honeschool your kids and take care of the house. If you don't get out and spend time with friends or do something fun for yourself.

Park days, field trips, activities with other homeschoolers are as much for me as for my kids. Twice a year I go on a 3 day retreat without the kids. If I feel I need it, I'll schedule a night out with friends. I don't hesitate to drop school and get everyone out of the house as needed.

I felt incredibly isolated while full-time homeschooling. I don't think I was depressed, but I was unhappy. My older dd started school last year and I still felt isolated. :). Both are going next year.

The biggest help for me was joining a gym, in April, and going a lot. I do lots of classes and am getting to know instructors. I meet friends there a few times a week. I am getting in pretty good shape, enjoy the classes, feel good and feel good about myself.

The problem, though, is that I don't think I would work out as much if I was still homeschooling. I'm there for 1 1/2 to 2 hours most weekdays and then have to go home and shower. That may sound like a lot, but I just try to get in cardio, weights, and flexibility on a regular (alternating) basis. The girls tolerate the child care just for the summer, but going year around that much might be a stretch. Working out takes up our whole morning. That's fine for summer, we can still go home and do our short summer-schooling. But it wouldn't leave much time for full homeschooling.

dh works out before work and we have frequent evening activities, so my exercise has to be during the day.

Edited by snickelfritz

Interesting.

Homeschooling is a huge happy spot in my life. I can't imagine homeschooling being depressing. I love teaching. About 4 years ago I even began working at Kumon teaching little peanuts beginning reading and math.

The only thing about homeschooling that makes me sad is knowing that the day will come when everyone will have graduated. Knowing this, I have already checked into what all I would need to do to get my teaching license so that I can transition into teaching other people's children full-time when mine are done. :tongue_smilie:

FWIW- my mom and my dh think that what I am doing is the best thing in the world. My mom has thought so from day one. She is hugely emotionally and financially supportive of my homeschooling her grandkids. Dh is a convert! He didn't start out thinking that homeschooling was all that, but (after watching the big boys homeschool high school and comparing that experience to those kids he knew in traditional high schools in the US :D) now he really thinks it is the way to go. When I told him that I was checking into getting my teaching license, the first thing out of his mouth was, "But you plan to continue homeschooling Doodle, right?" They would both be beyond disappointed if I announced that I wanted to put the youngest in school.

However, I understand that home education rolls the full-time job of teaching into the already full-time job of parenting. For some parents blending these two full-time jobs into one is very stressful. They may have a difficult time taking care of other responsibilities or find that they don't have enough time for themselves in order to refuel and be at the top of their parenting game. They may feel that these two jobs are very distinct and that they need to take off the teacher hat in order to put on the parent hat. Sometimes parents feel that these jobs can be at odds and that their relationship with their child is better if they play a supporting role in education rather than the primary role.

My experience of home education is a happy one and, while I am sharing that experience, I understand that every family needs to find the best educational fit for them. There isn't just one way to educate that is best for every student, parent, or family. I wouldn't want anyone to feel that they are choosing between what they are hearing from me is the best education, homeschooling, and other lesser options. Homeschooling is simply the best fit for my family. However, we are fortunate to live in a time and country where many truly good options exist and parents need to research and find the option that will best meet the needs of their family.

If educating your children at home isn't the best fit for your family, if it is causing you sadness, definitely check into other options and discuss them with your SO. :grouphug:

Mandy

Edited by Mandy in TN

I think it can. I know I went through a bout of depression last year due to homeschooling. Honestly, I'm scared of it happening again. I'm trying to learn to relax and cut myself some slack. Most of the pressure comes from myself.

:iagree: especially when you may be pre-disposed to depression, etc. in the first place. I really struggle with these things, even though dh is very appreciative and supportive.

No in me. In fact, my self-esteem has been greatly increased by homeschooling. I've learned that, yes, I can do things that the general population says I can't. I'm learning how to put myself out there and step up, where as before, I usually would just let someone else lead. I'm empowering myself and my family by doing something hard that I know has great, long term rewards.

I grew severely depressed while homeschooling all my kids. Really, deeply, severely depressed. I'm reluctant to say HSing "caused" it but I don't think it helped much.

The (largely self imposed) pressure to have my kids performing academically was enormous. The guilt for "depriving" them of "the social experiences in school" was also enormous (thanks to the many nasty comments from my mum). The naysaying relatives and (some) neighbors got to me in a way it shouldn't have.

Anyway I've wondered the same thing... is the combination of pressure, social isolation, and naysaying a cocktail for depression in the mom.

The biggest help, for me, is ordering that last round of curriculum materials. I need a box day in July/August :).

So as an aside, is ordering curriculum self medicating? :001_huh:

No I don't think there is a cause / effect relationship.

However, certainly there are factors that could deepen depression...

In the teaching parent?

And was wondering if anyone thinks this is just a side effect of homeschooling.....

Faithe

Honestly, it exacerbates my tendency towards feeling depressed. It's a perfect mixture of the things that are difficult for me to handle well.

:grouphug:

I think the fact that it can be isolating could lead to symptoms of depression in some people ... I don't think it could lead to low self-esteem unless everybody is against you. I don't have a lot of support (other than my DH) but I do it because it is the right decision for our family (without a doubt for me) ... sometimes I do get lonely, though.

I suffer from depression which started when we had kids. I really wanted to be home with them, but it was SOOOOOOO hard being so isolated. Our kids are 14, 13 and 13 now and I still suffer from depression, but it's manageable. Being home all the time is the hardest thing for me and dealing with the same old hum drum stuff. My hubby doesn't care either way if I hs and once in awhile will remark how nice it would be if we had another paycheck. I'm really alone in this and that is hard too. I try hard to find outside things to be involved in-sometimes it's too much. But I do love teaching my kids, so it's not the hsing, it's the disconnect from the population and community around me that's depressing.

No, depression is a biochemical imbalance.

The OP didn't specify endogenous depression, though. Situational depression (or reactive depression) is very common, and the symptoms can range from mild to disabling. It can be a reaction to serious difficulties in coping with one's job, family relationships, or pretty much any important aspect of life. Homeschooling is certainly covered under that big tent.

And then there's this:

And a resistant or special needs child could drive Mother Theresa to drunken weeping.

In some cases, the only way to tell whether or not the depression and low self-esteem are situational would be to change one's way of dealing with the situation -- in both practical and spiritual terms -- and see what happens.

I think it can if you are prone to depression, get stressed easily, and other personality factors. Also if people around you are critical or indifferent to all the work you do in homeschooling, that is draining emotionally. Nobody likes to be under-appreciated and that can be very depressing.

My advice is try to get involved in a homeschool group (don't take on too much, though) so that you are getting out and talking to other moms who love homeschooling and love to help other moms, and can identify with your joys and struggles. I have just recently joined a group myself and I think it will help me a lot to stay positive & encouraged.

My personal theory is that homeschooling is also harder on moms who are introverts and/or not the confident type. When people question or have attitudes with "the confident mom" she comes home in a fury and tells dh what Obnoxious Woman said to her at the store about her genius children, and she is unphased. "Insecure mom" comes home and tell dh about what Obnoxious Woman said to her at the store and she is annoyed, but also hates that she stands out, hates having to deal with it, wonders if Obnoxious Woman could be a little right, hopes nobody says it again. Being the black sheep is a lot harder for moms who need a lot of encouragement and support *normally* let alone when they are going against the grain.

I can see that happening if you do nothing but honeschool your kids and take care of the house. If you don't get out and spend time with friends or do something fun for yourself. I work outside the home 3-5 days a week for a few hours in the evening. We go to a co-op with a purpose of providing mom's with social time with other qdults while the.kids are entertained and educated. I love being home with my kids, but I would be depressed if I never left the house and if I were not dancing anymore.

:iagree::iagree::iagree: i don't work outside the home but agree with everything else here.

I think it can. I know I went through a bout of depression last year due to homeschooling. Honestly, I'm scared of it happening again. I'm trying to learn to relax and cut myself some slack. Most of the pressure comes from myself.

My dh and I also had some very serious discussions about our need to have time for ourselves as a couple. I also had to quit bottling my feelings about isolation, not measuring up and needing to feed my soul. I never shared these frustrations with anyone and that led to my depression. Also having a very ....challenging oldest daughter really ramped it up for me.

I have to make my emotional health a priority for the sake of my whole family. I do what I need to to stay healthy, even if I have to tell the kids no from time to time. I can't overextend myself or I suffer for it.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

I think there are a number of common things that homeschooling moms deal with day after day that can be depressing. (I know depression is deeper and chemical.)

My worst, worst time of the year is mid-Jan until our weather breaks. I have to make myself push ahead and keep going. Even in the summer...the idea of beginning again can be daunting.

And there always seem to be plenty of people pushing, nagging, reminding and wanting hs-moms to just give over and join the normal crowd.

In the teaching parent?

Faithe

Hmmmmmm...maybe it is just me...and my mid-life crisis...:tongue_smilie:

I need a new job....

Homeschooling is my solace, life causes my depression. I get situationally depressed. Part of it is homeschooling provides no immediate pay, it costs money and time that requires setting aside what could be time earning money. Dh has to work harder, I have to bug him about money. I've put little boundaries around schooling so it stays my solace.

I don't feel isolated, but I'm an introvert who needs alone time. I recently took an online part time work your own hours job online. Even the tiny amount of money I'm bringing helps, but it's distraction now when I'm trying to plan school. I'm behind in my planning because of life. When school starts I have to focus on it and I won't be able to earn as much.

I'm at the point I'm tired, my brain can only do so many things at one time and school gets top billing. So I COULD blame school, but the reality is it's not the problem. If "school" required leaving the house and going to a building to homeschool and I didn't have to do other things while planning or teaching, it would be a great job. But because I have distractions while trying to do this job, even with one child I have them, I feel pulled and stressed.

I don't do housework while teaching. I school during school hours. If I don't separate activities I get more stressed, more depressed, and it makes me physically ill. I got sick several times last year. I already have a compromised immune system and if I allow myself to get too out of whack, I'm out with illness. There were a couple of times I'd be sick for a week or two last year.

I can't do that this year. Dh is very tolerant and supportive of my need to claim homeschooling as a full time job and let it be the priority. If I didn't have his support and he was pressuring me to do other things, I'd melt into a pile of mush.

I know you've posted about your job issues before, but I'd consider whether it's homeschooling that is causing the issues. Maybe it's the fact you can't place the priority on it that you need to feel you do it well enough. Maybe, I don't know where you're at right now, so I could be off base.

My personal theory is that homeschooling is also harder on moms who are introverts and/or not the confident type. When people question or have attitudes with "the confident mom" she comes home in a fury and tells dh what Obnoxious Woman said to her at the store about her genius children, and she is unphased. "Insecure mom" comes home and tell dh about what Obnoxious Woman said to her at the store and she is annoyed, but also hates that she stands out, hates having to deal with it, wonders if Obnoxious Woman could be a little right, hopes nobody says it again. Being the black sheep is a lot harder for moms who need a lot of encouragement and support *normally* let alone when they are going against the grain.

This is a very interesting theory. I am an introvert and I do feel this way. While I need time to myself and I don't like crowds that require mingling or making small talk with people I barely know...... I STRONGLY dislike standing out. And I constantly second-guessed every curriculum decision....almost every daily decision.

I've kinda just been watching this thread but I'd like to make a couple comments.

Depression doesn't have to be caused by a chemical imbalance. I struggle with depression and I do NOT have a chemical imbalance (I could get a note from the doctor for you on it). I do struggle with other things that cause me to be more easily stressed out by the normal load that homeschooling brings and the seclusion that can come from it.

Also, introvert does not mean insecure. I am an introvert, but I have no problems voicing my opinion and standing behind it. I like to avoid crowds and I do try and word things in a way that doesn't ruffle feathers, but I won't change what I think and feel for anyone unless I feel that what they are saying is true, and a good fit for me.

I don't really believe that there is such a thing as depression that isn't caused by chemicals. Everything is chemical. I think we just don't fully understand how chemicals change how we feel.

It's kind of like this idea that people think there is something like the "mind" as if this isn't a physical thing attached to our bodies. Of course it is.

I think there is simply different degrees of depression. Kind of like you can simply have a runny nose. Or a cold. Or the flu.

But if that were the case than trauma wouldn't cause depression. I can see how trauma might cause the hormones to be a little out of whack, but in the end, it was the trauma that caused the depression. I only struggle with depression when I've been having flashbacks and nightmares, so how could I blame that on a chemical imbalance?

:iagree: I have struggled with this! Perimenopausal hormone imbalances started in my late thirties after the stress of a hurricane, mother's death and husband falling from our roof 3 stories!!). These stressors crashed my adrenals (which are strained by my low thyroid) and I started having trouble with this. Not sleeping, mood swings. It's tough! I take lots of supplements and eat a paleo diet and it is better. I hope it gets better for you! Hugs!

Edited by malbanese

Why couldn't that cause depression though? Everything is chemistry if you break it down. Everything.

If a person is continually under pressure or in a situation that is making them miserable or lonely or whatever then that is going to eventually do something. Why wouldn't it? When I'm worried my heart races. I don't sleep well. I might be too occupied with my worries that I don't take care of myself as well. These things just ball up. Some people are weaker than others. Just like some people can lift more than I can, some people can handle certain stresses better than I can.

When you have flashbacks and nightmares your body is no doubt reacting whether you notice it or not.

So then which is to blame? The flashbacks or the reaction my body has? A hormone reaction isn't really the same as an imbalance.

As for the being weaker thing, that gets my blood pumping. While I struggle with depression and get called weak by some after having been through h*ll and back. The lady down the road, who has never dealt with more than a few hiccups in the road, is called strong because she seems so cool calm and collected. Sorry, this is probably an overreaction on my part due to it being something that gets pushed a lot. If that's not what you were meaning, than I apologize.

So then which is to blame? The flashbacks or the reaction my body has? A hormone reaction isn't really the same as an imbalance.

As for the being weaker thing, that gets my blood pumping. While I struggle with depression and get called weak by some after having been through h*ll and back. The lady down the road, who has never dealt with more than a few hiccups in the road, is called strong because she seems so cool calm and collected. Sorry, this is probably an overreaction on my part due to it being something that gets pushed a lot. If that's not what you were meaning, than I apologize.

Stressful or traumatic events can cause a hormonal reaction that pushes the body out of balance. Some people are naturally resilient and can weather even extreme trauma. Scientists have pinpointed one gene that has been linked to whether or not someone experiences depression in reaction to a stressful/traumatic event (here is an interesting and not super-technical article about it). There are likely others.

Understanding depression as a biochemical imbalance actually proves that sufferers AREN'T weak, just genetically predisposed to experiencing bouts of it.

But if that were the case than trauma wouldn't cause depression. I can see how trauma might cause the hormones to be a little out of whack, but in the end, it was the trauma that caused the depression. I only struggle with depression when I've been having flashbacks and nightmares, so how could I blame that on a chemical imbalance?

Why couldn't that cause depression though? Everything is chemistry if you break it down. Everything.
(emphasis added)

If you look at things this way, then saying that something is "chemical" becomes meaningless.

"Falling out of a tree is chemistry." "Making lunch for 100 people on your own is chemistry." "Getting a low score on a math test because you stayed up late watching movies is chemistry." In some sense, this might be true. But I doubt that this perspective gives us the most comprehensive insight into how to cope with those situations, and how to prevent them in future. :001_huh:

Edited by Eleanor
fixed quotes

Depression is a biochemical imbalance, and no amount of positive thinking will make it go away. However, homeschooling can be stressful, lonely, and isolating which can bring down even someone without depression.

Oh, I agree that clinical depression is biochemical, but I also believe that positive thinking and self care can make it go away, for a significant number of people, and keep it from coming back...with the interim help of medication. I know this from personal experience.

I don't believe biochemical depression "just happens." There are root causes psychological, situational and physical. The whole person must be treated. Once someone understands themselves, their needs, and how their lifestyle or thinking needs to change, real results can occur and can be controlled by the individual. IME

Edited by Onceuponatime

Stressful or traumatic events can cause a hormonal reaction that pushes the body out of balance. Some people are naturally resilient and can weather even extreme trauma. Scientists have pinpointed one gene that has been linked to whether or not someone experiences depression in reaction to a stressful/traumatic event (here is an interesting and not super-technical article about it). There are likely others.

Understanding depression as a biochemical imbalance actually proves that sufferers AREN'T weak, just genetically predisposed to experiencing bouts of it.

I suppose I differentiate different types of depression as those that require meds and/or carefully watched diet, and those that are caused by events and can be worked through without medical intervention.

Usually the people that weather extreme trauma without depression are just predisposed to something else and that something else is their way of expressing what the trauma has done to them. Trauma, childhood especially, affects the person in some way, even if they don't show depression.

I would be curious as to how the chemicals in the body reacted with those that 'forced' themselves into depression. I mean I know for myself and others that I know, in an effort to push down the excess emotion, we tend to force ourselves into a depression for awhile.