Menu

What is your secret weirdness?

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not like having short hair, but I cannot stand hair on my face... so I will be an elderly lady wearing a pony tail one day!!

I also have to have a sheet on to sleep, even if it's hot...

I love top 40 music and dancing around... copying dance moves that I see... and seeing my kids mouths drop open because "mom knows that song???" !!!

I nearly ALWAYS HAVE to count stairs... going up or down... even if I've gone up or down countless times, my brain simply counts stairs...

I write notes on my inside wrist. Seriously, I usually think of something before I fall asleep. I keep a papermate flair on my bedside table. I keep paper there too, but I can just reach out for the pen. Then my notes in there in the morning. It's come in very handy this week.

I have to sleep covered up too. Even in the stifling heat. I also sleep with two small furry pillow, it's like an adult version of a stuffed animal. I can't stand snuggling with dh while sleeping. We both snore, so that's annoying. So I snuggle with my pillow. Always.

I'm sorry, that's not weird at all. That's perfectly normal. :D

:iagree: Any other way to fold towels is just wrong! :tongue_smilie:

I guess I'm like Imp. I think I'm pretty weird all around. It's hard for it to be a secret.

One of the weirdest things (and most fun things) I've ever done, was dress up like Dolores Umbridge and go to the midnight release of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows at Barnes and Noble. I was probably the oldest person there in a costume.

I always sleep on the side furthest from the door so if there is an intruder, they get DH first ha ha.

This is my line of thinking too, dh is military but sleeps like the dead, so I figure since he most likely won't hear the intruder coming at least I'll here him struggling and can attempt to get away. Awful I know, but he's come to terms with it and automatically takes the side closest the door no matter where we are.

I am a huge fan of liver and onions. Always have been; Mom used to saute the onions to perfection. In olden times, when lunch counters in department stores still exisited, my grandmother & I used to go to one at Woolworth's, where I always ordered the liver and onions.

The years I was a vegetarian I often craved liver, and went through a Seitan phase, which totally missed the mark, although I always held out hope. ;) Now I have liver whenever I want. Nobody else in my family cares at all for it, and that is fine with me.

Edited by LibraryLover

I eat M&Ms and skittles one color at a time. I wash in the shower in a specific order and having a kid or husband interrupt my process throws off my whole day. And I posted on FB last night that I was pretty sure I'm the only person I know who was up late reading scanned copies of books on education from the late 1800s/early 1900s for fun. I'm sure there are at least two weirdnesses in that sentence. I'm also thinking weirdnesses isn't a word.

I count every time I start a task.

It started off as a motivator (I can load 10 things in the dishwasher), and has now become a habit.

I do something like that - whenever I'm scrubbing the chopping board I have to scrub it 10 or 15 times (depending on what I've been chopping) in each of four directions, I feel really irritated if someone asks me something and I lose count.

I think counting can be rather comforting. Weird.

I also have this weird "need to be even" thing going on. If someone comes up to me and slaps me on one arm, they better be slapping me on the other! LOL! Otherwise I feel all uneven. Drives me crazy :D

OMG!! Me too!!! I was just sitting here trying to figure out how to explain my "weirdness" and then I read this. Too funny!

I have another one, though (I'll stick with just one more or else I'd be here all day). :D I'm afraid of backhoes. I get panic stricken if I have to drive by one, especially if it's moving. If that arm starts to swing towards my car as I'm driving by I think it's trying to get me and I drive like a mad woman trying to get past it! :lol:

I do something like that - whenever I'm scrubbing the chopping board I have to scrub it 10 or 15 times (depending on what I've been chopping) in each of four directions, I feel really irritated if someone asks me something and I lose count.

I think counting can be rather comforting. Weird.

I often count steps. I don't do it consciously. But I know how many steps it takes to get somewhere.

Dh thought it was odd until he missed the last stair. I told him he needs to count 7 down to the curve than 8 to the first floor. He just looks at me like :001_huh: But I haven't hurt an ankle by missing a step.

I often count steps. I don't do it consciously. But I know how many steps it takes to get somewhere.

Dh thought it was odd until he missed the last stair. I told him he needs to count 7 down to the curve than 8 to the first floor. He just looks at me like :001_huh: But I haven't hurt an ankle by missing a step.

:lol:

When I am on a high place, like a balcony, tall building with an open window, a cliff........I get really afraid that I am going to spontaneously.........JUMP!!

I also can't let my feet hang off the bed because something might get me.

I don't think this is weird. It is a perfectly rational fear! But, I shake when I stand on a step-stool.

When I am on a high place, like a balcony, tall building with an open window, a cliff........I get really afraid that I am going to spontaneously.........JUMP!!

:iagree:I have felt this way all of my life. I once had a babysitting job in a condo that was on the 7th floor of the building, and I literally couldn't walk outside because I was afraid I would hurl myself and the baby over the side.

I can't write in books. Even if they are mine and I'm free to do so. I just.can't.do it!

:iagree: I'm addicted to sticky notes! Color coded sticky notes! I won't write the note if I don't have the right color sticky note. And I HATE IT when someone bends the corner of a book to mark the spot! (Even if it's their book and not mine. :leaving:)

I love chubby baby wrist creases so much that I sometimes talk to women with babies in public places just so I can look at their babies' wrists. I only do this when I have my littlest one with me, though, so I won't seem like a stalker. :tongue_smilie:

not :lol: at the whole post...just the last part about only doing it when you littlest is with you.

The rest of the post is sweet. The last part had me laughing out loud.

I have to have the "perfect" last bite at meals. I want the flavor that lingers in my mouth to be of my favorite item on the plate. When my meal starts to get almost done, I will start testing each item to see if it is the perfect thing. So eventually I will have two bites of everything, then one, then I choose want I want to be last.

My stepfather once reached over and grabbed my last bite of steak once and sent me into tears. He just saw that I was finished and left that on the plate, I saw my perfect ending **gone**. Dh knows better than to even ask when I get to the final countdown, he can have all he wants in the beginning, just not at the end.

I am new here, but I think I have found my people! LOL

My hidden weirdness is that I eat burnt toast with mayonaise. I crave it. I toast it at least two and sometimes three times so that it is really charred and then slather it with Best Foods Mayonaise. It has to be Best Foods too.

I grew up in California and my Mom had a Best Foods only kitchen. After I married DH, he was transferred to Maxwell AFB in Alabama. He wanted me to make a potato salad for him to take to a work potluck, so I went to the commissary to buy some mayo. NO BEST FOODS! I was frantic. I asked for the manager and he said he had never heard of it. I told him it kind of looked like the bottle of Hellman's Mayonaise. I sure felt dumb when we read right on the label, "Hellman's is known as Best Foods west of the Rockies."

I had to go home and comfort myself with some burnt toast and mayonaise...which let my new husband in on my secret weirdness. He was pretty grossed out by the burnt smell that permeated the house, so ever since I only make it when he has left for the day and I can air things out. LOL

Everyone has one. Tell us about it.

I have many weird things. The one that comes most to mind currently since I'm doing laundry is that towels have to be folded right-side out. Yes, I know it is a towel. Still the hems have to be together when it is folded.

Yours?

I do this. Maybe we get along so well because we are both weird?:D

I started to quote most people here but honestly, there were like three posts I couldn't relate to!

I hate it when towels aren't folded right side out, then in half, then quarters, the turned and folded into thirds. And if they ARE done right but the tag is sticking out, I will tuck the tag back in. Then I like the folded over side exposed in the cabinet, not all the ends.

I have to cover my ear with my hair at night so no bugs crawl into it, and I must be covered by a sheet. If dh was kind enough to make the bed after I have laundered the sheets and I notice a tag on top of a blanket, I will rip the blanket off and turn it over. I also hate said nlanket's top part with the trim to be tucked beneath the bed. And yes, I enjoy my space furthest from the door UNLESS I am in a hotel room with one or both dd"s because then I have to sleep closest to the door with the bathroom light on all night. And when we are in a hotel room, I keep shoes , slippers or sandals by the bed. I hate to step on that carpet and then climb into bed. When dh or the kids do it, it also freaks me out. I often times am afraid that something alive, human, animal or bug, is under my bed and I will jump in. When dh wakes up from this, I pretend to be asleep.:lol:

Every stinkin time dh and I go away for the day I worry about the girks should we never return.

The silverware needs to be loadad all large forks and spoons in the front, separate containers, small in the back. All steak knives go together, then odds and ends. Each silverware compartment then emptied all at once.

I never noticed the weird way I eat certain foods until this thread. I am currently addicted to sunflower seeds, after I shell them I like to stand them straight up in my back teeth then crunch down. I somehow feel like I have "lost" when it falls flat for the crunching. And I prefer to eat them on the right side of my mouth. When I used to eat peanut M& M's I would suck the hard candy coating to a point, pull it out, take the rest iff with my front teeth then crunch with back teeth, suck off the melted chocolate, then crunch down the peanut normally. I have only had oreos a few times and those MUST be separated, insides scraped out, then chocolate wafers eaten, preferable standing up on the bottom teeth as I crunch it down.

I wash each individual item in the sink, never use a sink of soapy water. I hate dish towels for cleaning up. I only use sponges. After they have cleaned something once, into the dishwasher it goes for sterilization. Sometimes I will use the sponge again if I only used it for a light surface cleaning on the granite.

The sound of soggy fried grosses me out. I am trying to go totally vegan but I want a very thick chocolate milk shake now so I can dip some fries into it.:lol::lol::lol:

How weird isthat? What does it mean?

Edited by Denisemomof4

not :lol: at the whole post...just the last part about only doing it when you littlest is with you.

Hee hee - YOU'RE the sweet one, Tammi K! My obsession goes deeper than I can describe, and if I have either of my older two girls with me they vigorously discourage me from my "wrist approaches" because they're so embarrassed. I also have a whole system of assessing whether a mom or dad looks open to me "noticing" the baby. Most people are, but people who aren't give off a definite vibe and I don't approach. On the rare occasion that I'm alone and I simply don't have the self-control to Resist the Wrists, I always mention that I have three kids myself and I miss their baby creases. If the person is REALLY enthusiastic, I will sometimes reveal a little secret, like how I used to stick index cards in my kids' wrist creases just to see the cards stand up straight.

I also have a reputation at our church, even among those I don't know well. So new parents I've barely ever had a conversation with will say things to me like, "We're working on puffing up the wrists for you!" You'd think I'd be mortified by this, but it actually delights me.

Yeah.....it goes deep. ;)

I put A1 sauce on a baked potato and it HAS to A1 no generic stuff will do.

I like to eat dill pickles with my popcorn.

All my children have 5 letter first names.

I remember numbers by using math (ex. The last four digits of a friends phone # is 9117 so 9-1-1=7). I "see" number patterns like this all the time and it drives dh nuts.

I'm sure there is more...

I can relate to this, also. For me it is baby toes.

(Wow! How much weirdness am I going to admit to today?)

I do this. Maybe we get along so well because we are both weird?:D

I started to quote most people here but honestly, there were like three posts I couldn't relate to!

I hate it when towels aren't folded right side out, then in half, then quarters, the turned and folded into thirds. And if they ARE done right but the tag is sticking out, I will tuck the tag back in. Then I like the folded over side exposed in the cabinet, not all the ends.

I think I :001_wub::001_wub: you.

:smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5:

I had to turn a whole cupboard of towels around because dh put them away backwards.

My first thought- when I make my "to do" lists, I always write stuff that I have already completed, just so I can check the box!

I like dipping french fries in soft vanilla ice cream. Sweet and salty... YUM!

I always sleep on the side furthest from the door so if there is an intruder, they get DH first ha ha.

Yup! I am also one that can't sleep with my leg/foot hanging off the bed.

I have the same fear. I get scared I could suddenly become possessed. :001_huh:

I still need to catch up and read the last half of the thread, but we are another family that doesn't use top sheets at all. Hate them! Also, since I was a kid I have had an emergency hiding place staked out in every house I have lived. I have no history of anyone breaking into a home, or no violence, but it's just a freak thing I do. And when DH travels for work occasionally, I pull out the hunting knife to sleep beside me.

My husband reminded me of something else I do that's really weird. I have to have the seam of the pillowcase at the top of the pillow. I can't sleep if the seam is under my neck. I also have to have the opening of the pillowcase to my left. Ever since I was a child, I rub my finger on the edge of the pillowcase. If I can't access the edge of the pillowcase, I'll use the hem of the top sheet. For some reason this helps me sleep.:001_smile:

Everyone has one. Tell us about it.

I have many weird things. The one that comes most to mind currently since I'm doing laundry is that towels have to be folded right-side out. Yes, I know it is a towel. Still the hems have to be together when it is folded.

Yours?

Isn't that the right way to do it? I have always folded them that way in half and then down in 1/3rds so that seams/hems are together and right side is out so we can see the pattern in the cupboard.

I have a lot of weird things that I do, but one is that I have to wear my socks inside out. I can't stand the seams against the tops of my toes!

Another thing is that I have rub my toes against dh's leg for me to go to sleep at night. It is almost like rocking myself to sleep, but it is just my foot. It is so soothing and thankfully, dh doesn't mind me doing it.

Oh, and I thought of another one... I have to sleep with my ear covered up by the sheet and my neck sort of "tucked-in" or else I startle awake at every little noise.

I agree -with you about the towels -- but, that's just common sense and good housekeeping -- not weirdness.

I cannot do ANYTHING unless my house is clean and in perfect order --THAT is my weirdness.

Also, I don't know if this is weird or not: I HATE calling people on the phone -- I never want to bother anyone. I LOVE my new hair/nail salon b/c I can make appts online.

I am fiercely competitive -- fiercely But I don't want recognition. I want to savor success quietly and just let it roll around in my head. THAT's weird.

you can come and be weird at my house! Please? :)

I have a 120 DVDs; and I alphabetize them. It drives me nuts if one gets out of place. I like to vacuum the carpet in my bedrooms so that it's all going the same way.

If a pencil is sharpened more than half way down; I throw it out and get a new one. Not very thrifty of me, but I hate little pencils.

When I go out to eat; I take my own clorox wipes and clean the table before I can eat at it. I'm a germophobic.

I'd tell you more, but I would have to change my name to Looney Tunes.

:lol::lol::rofl: Seriously. Cracking up. I apologize.

As for me...a weirdness I have is I can not stand for our family to be in separate towns, like if I run up to the city or DH is gone for a few days for work. I am always convinced that someone will die.

I was never this way before last summer, now it is a major fear of mine. I let ds8 go off on an activity on his own with out me he was in that car wreck just the fall before i let him go to gramma's for a few days and he ended up with a broken arm now I have a really hard time letting them be too separated from me and sustaining a serious injury. DD12 is in the city this week with aunty and I have to talk to her several times a day just to be sure she is safe and sound.

Me too!

My other weirdness is that when I do the dishes by hand, I don't fill the sink full of clean, soapy water and soak the dishes in it. I wash and rinse each item separately. You know the clean, soapy water isn't that clean after you have had about 10 dirty plates in it.

Me too. I hate sticking my hands in dirty, sudsy water where I can't see what's in there. But I have no problem swimming in murky water where I can't see the bottom. :001_huh:

I have an entire order that I subconciously eat food. There are also rules.

Here goes:

1) I always start eating with a bite of the meat dish/main dish on the plate, then I eat in a clockwise motion with the starchy side dish being next (mashed potatoes, rice, pasta, macaroni and cheese, etc.), then I eat the other vegetables in the clockwise order. Take a bite of bread, then a drink of my beverage. Start the cycle over again.

2) The only time this rule is altered is if I am eating a breaded vegetable (fried okra, fried squash, etc.), then there MUST be another non-breaded vegetable between the breaded vegetable and the bite of bread.

3) Everything on my plate has to be finished at the same time. Based upon serving size I've actually gotten pretty good at determining exactly how big or small the bites need to be to make everything run out at the same time. If my dh or one of the kids tries to take something off of my plate to eat, then I will fight to the death to keep them away. It all has to end evenly and if they mess it up, then it's ruined!

4) My food cannot touch....EVER! Take out boxes with one big space for your food give me chills.

And yes, I know that I have issues! :D

I am terrified of haunted houses. Cannot go in them. Before we were married, DH tried to "cure" me. That cost him at least $100 in lost admissions as I could never make it more than a few minutes.

I dislike going to the movie theater. I'm quite good at suspending disbelief, which is great when reading a novel because I feel like I'm in the story. But with movies, it's TOO real. If I go, I have to leave for a few minutes at least once during the show to reconnect with reality. I do the same at home, but at least here I can just stop the movie!

I love my 6 little Hermit Crabs...I call them 'My Dudes'...I always 'rescue' one from the beach shop when I go.

It takes me 10 minutes or so to get myself just right in bed...no sheets wrinkled under me, covers have to be just right, hair not under my back, but around my shoulders, no tight blankets around my feet, sometimes feet hanging out if it's slightly warm in there, then it's only blankets around my middle section, must have my little soft microfleece blanket over the side of my head/ear because though I love the fan, I don't like it blowing over my ears, and said blanket goes softest side only under and around my arm and face/cheek of the left side and my pillow needs to be fluffed just so; of course if my DH is there I normally snuggle up with him and there are a few more issues to contend with, lol ...geeze that sounds nuerotic! :D

Me too. I hate sticking my hands in dirty, sudsy water where I can't see what's in there. But I have no problem swimming in murky water where I can't see the bottom. :001_huh:

Just the opposite here. I can do the dirty dishwater but not a brown body of water.

I have an entire order that I subconciously eat food. There are also rules.

Here goes:

1) I always start eating with a bite of the meat dish/main dish on the plate, then I eat in a clockwise motion with the starchy side dish being next (mashed potatoes, rice, pasta, macaroni and cheese, etc.), then I eat the other vegetables in the clockwise order. Take a bite of bread, then a drink of my beverage. Start the cycle over again.

2) The only time this rule is altered is if I am eating a breaded vegetable (fried okra, fried squash, etc.), then there MUST be another non-breaded vegetable between the breaded vegetable and the bite of bread.

3) Everything on my plate has to be finished at the same time. Based upon serving size I've actually gotten pretty good at determining exactly how big or small the bites need to be to make everything run out at the same time. If my dh or one of the kids tries to take something off of my plate to eat, then I will fight to the death to keep them away. It all has to end evenly and if they mess it up, then it's ruined!

4) My food cannot touch....EVER! Take out boxes with one big space for your food give me chills.

And yes, I know that I have issues! :D

Now, are you a picky eater or will you eat just about anything as long as you're able to do it within the above parameters?

I sleep on my stomach with my head and body covered. I am not sure how I am able to breathe.

I am addicted to chewable vitamin C. (actually this is starting to become a serious concern and I might put up a separate post about this)

I would rather people didn't touch my things and if I am taking a brochure from a stack and nobody is watching me I will not take the first one.

alright if we're giving up weird eating habit secrets here goes.

I can't mix my food, by this I mean I can't eat a bite of meat, then a bite of potato, then a bite of veg. I eat only one thing at a time until it is all gone then move on to the next.

My parents used to question the why behind it and then say "It's all going to be mixed together anyway" my response was always "Yes, but it doesn't have to taste like that on the way down"

Oooh...I HAVE to mix my peas and mashed potatoes together to eat them. I also do not like to put any form of roll or biscuit or bread on my plate because I don't want the bottom of it to absorb anything from the other food. Which, is kind of odd because I even do that if there's gravy or sauce, but then I dip the bread in the gravy or sauce to eat it anyway! :D