Menu

What is your secret weirdness?

I do this too, but prefer it to be a thick chocolate milk shake.

Oooh, I'm so trying this. I've always stuck with vanilla in the past.

I thought of another weirdness:

I am completely grossed out at the thought of swimming in lakes or oceans.

I'm willing to wade up to my ankles at the shore, but the idea of immersing myself in the ick is just, well, ICKY.

Give me a lovely, crystal clear, chlorinated pool any day!

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't tell you how much better I feel, hearing about your weirdnesses!

For a long time, I kept secret (just my FOO knew) that I occasionally stim by putting my fingers together and wiggling them very fast. I have never told anyone this!

It's partly how I finally figured out that I'm probably on the Aspie side of things.

I was so ashamed for so long!

Whew!

I feel like crying, now that I've "told!" LOL

Well, since I am pretty sure only two people on the board have ever met me in person I will admit that maybe I might have a problem with touching food. And if I'm around a group of people or in public I eat normally because I dislike the negative attention of secret weirdness. In private I wear food prep gloves as much as possible in the kitchen and eat most finger foods with utensils. That's the beginning of what might be some weirdness about food (or is this really normal? I'm sure it is!) and it just gets worse. I did get caught by someone in IRL and confessed most of this to her. It was nice to admit it and move on.

Everyone has one. Tell us about it.

I have many weird things. The one that comes most to mind currently since I'm doing laundry is that towels have to be folded right-side out. Yes, I know it is a towel. Still the hems have to be together when it is folded.

Yours?

No, no, no. You have it alllll wrong! Picture this: you have a rectangle of a towel. You fold in the middle so the two short sides touch. Then, lengthwise you fold the right side edge to the middle. Then you fold the left side edge over that (so you now have a 3 fold double layer). Then......you roll it up! Got that? You do know that you can fit more on the shelf if the towels are rolled, right? ;) At least my little shelves.

And, no.....I am not weird at all...so I really don't know why I'm a part of this discussion.

:blush:

Edited by ~AprilMay~

Not sure if this is weird but I almost always have to eat fried chicken with ketchup. My husband and my friends think it is weird:0) I drag taking showers/baths although I like to be cleaned and smelled good.

I loveeee loveee tofu!!!! LOL.

Julia

I never even knew this was weird until dh told me it was. :001_huh: I have to make my sandwiches with the bread matching. When I make a sandwhich, I take two adjacent pieces of bread, open them like a book, add whatever to the sandwhich, then close it back up. It is wrong to make it with the bread not matching. I can't eat it if the bread crusts don't align.

Blanket tags must be in the right place, towels must be folded right-side out, pillowcases must be placed so that the open end faces the outside of the bed.... I could go on, but I think that is enough. I always thought I was easy to live with and pretty laid back until people started telling me I was weird. Oh well. Nobody is required to live with me except me.

Not sure if this is weird but I almost always have to eat fried chicken with ketchup. My husband and my friends think it is weird:0) I drag taking showers/baths although I like to be cleaned and smelled good.

Julia

OK....yeah, :iagree:, that's definitely weird. Ewww....

:001_smile:

Holes, circles, seeds, or repetitive patterns with a lot of contrast make me feel physically ill. Not holes in the ground, just a picture of something with holes. If I see a dried lotus pod or something similar, I can't get it out of my head and it bothers me for days, sometimes even weeks. A cross-section of red lettuce, the inside of a pomegranate, sometimes even the look of boiling water all make me shudder. Biology diagrams and cut-aways are bad too. I am dreading teaching life science.

I like dipping french fries in soft vanilla ice cream. Sweet and salty... YUM!

YES!

I can't think of anything. Maybe I have too many to list? The first thing that *did* pop into my head was the above.

I'm a neat freak. Probably not as "freaky" as some, but I need stuff to be clean and neat or else I *can NOT* function. I get highly irritated and annoyed with ppl pretty quickly if stuff isn't neat and clean. Really, I think it's gotten worse the older I get. On that note, the house stays reasonably clean/neat. I had a hard time with it when I had pneumonia awhile ago...whew...I was strung out when I finally got over the illness:tongue_smilie::chillpill:.

I never even knew this was weird until dh told me it was. :001_huh: I have to make my sandwiches with the bread matching. When I make a sandwhich, I take two adjacent pieces of bread, open them like a book, add whatever to the sandwhich, then close it back up. It is wrong to make it with the bread not matching. I can't eat it if the bread crusts don't align.

Blanket tags must be in the right place, towels must be folded right-side out, pillowcases must be placed so that the open end faces the outside of the bed.... I could go on, but I think that is enough. I always thought I was easy to live with and pretty laid back until people started telling me I was weird. Oh well. Nobody is required to live with me except me.

Oh wow, I have all of these too. I also just remembered that my husband thinks it's weird that I make my meat/cheese sandwiches with mayo on the cheese side and mustard on the meat side. If he's making me a sandwich he stops to ask me to remind him which goes on which side! :lol:

Oh wow, I have all of these too. I also just remembered that my husband thinks it's weird that I make my meat/cheese sandwiches with mayo on the cheese side and mustard on the meat side. If he's making me a sandwich he stops to ask me to remind him which goes on which side! :lol:

That's not weird.

I have a sock thing. It absolutely drives me obsessively crazy if anyone wears their socks inside out or even worse, one inside out and one right side out. I had a roommate in college that didn't care and I would obsess about it until she fixed them. 15 years later, she says she cannot put a sock on inside out any more and thinks of me every time.

I hate for people, even my dh and children, to touch my face. Kisses on the cheek, any of that stuff, I can't stand. I can tolerate dh kissing me but that is about it. I couldn't stand it even as a child.

I will not swim in a lake or other body of water that living creatures dwell in.

So with an eating disorder are you considered cured or is it like an addict, something you have to work through every day.

(Sorry if that is too personal. Ignore me if you need to. I've never talked to someone who had an eating disorder, but have always wondered that.)

As a recovering anorexic, it is always there. I work really, really hard to not be that way. I make myself only weigh myself 4 times a week. I force myself to finish each portion of food I serve myself. I will go days without looking in the mirror just to avoid having to remind myself that I am the perfect size. I keep a very narrow margin for my weight: I can be two pounds under or one pound over my ideal weight. If I am feeling off, I fight very hard to get myself back centered before I start to disappear.

See, if I type it out it sounds like I'm not at all cured. I do make sure that my girls learn to approve of themselves. When one of them gets weighed my only comments is, "You're the perfect weight for a Dani your size." or Lexi - you get the idea. I also work hard to never let them hear me criticize myself. I have extremely good positive internal dialog.

Others might be more "cured" than I am, but I'm still working at. I don't think I would have survived it at all if my OB, when I was pregnant with my oldest, hadn't recognized it for what it was and helped me to save my son.

Just the opposite here. I can do the dirty dishwater but not a brown body of water.

See, that makes sense. There could actually be stuff swimming with you in the body of water. But that has never bothered me. Just the sink - a toilet or bathtub that was stopped up and cloudy would freak me out too. I always wonder what might be dragging itself up through the drain. <shudder>

Too much Stephen King I guess. :glare:

Julia

When I was growing up, we always ate ketchup on tacos. I was raised by southern transplants who apparently didn't know any better... or maybe it was just a weird 1970s thing. :D

Speaking of towels, I have to be sure my hands aren't overly dry before I fold towels. Or laundry of any sort, but especially towels. I have lotion in the laundry room for that very purpose - to have very moisturized hands when folding towels, because even the thought of the towels otherwise makes me cringe. :001_huh:

Other than that? I love anime. :D

this is bad. ths is so so so so so bad, but Imp told me I have to put myself out there, so blame her. I have a thing for "saucy goodness." if the food I'm eating has a sauce, I will lick the plate. yes, my table manners are that bad. yes, dh is horrified by it as were my parents before him. no I dont do it in public. in front of other people, I will use my fork as best I can while eating to make sure I get as much of the saucy goodness as possible. yes, the boys copied me for awhile, but dh told them not to. it drives me absolutely bonkers to see a lot of sauce left on dh's plate. he doesn't even use his fork to TRY and get as much as he can.

also, I have a problem with wiggling. some part of me is always in motion. if i'm sitting, I usually am wiggling a foot

I still won't walk on the cracks in sidewalks and roads. Apparently that "step on a crack, break your mother's back" thing scarred me for life! LOL

Though I really love the taste of the skin on fried (or cooked any other way) chicken, I can't eat it....it makes me gag...that slimy layer between the skin and the meat...the thought of it being SKIN...omg I'm getting sick....

I have voicemail/answering machine phobia....I simply cannot leave messages. The times I have had to, I end up saying the STUPIDEST things and come across as a complete bafoon.

The pantry must stay in order....the top shelf is for breakfast foods (cereals, grits, oatmeal, etc.), next is canned stuff, rices and pastas, then the breads and chips shelf, then the crackers/cookies/snacks shelf......

I get a lump in my throat all the time. If the sky is a particularly nice color, if there's an interesting breeze in the trees... a memory, a scent... a memory of a scent. :tongue_smilie:

It's bad. I'm totally moved to my core by tiny quiet things. I don't know what my problem is. I've alway been like this.

As a recovering anorexic, it is always there. I work really, really hard to not be that way. I make myself only weigh myself 4 times a week. I force myself to finish each portion of food I serve myself. I will go days without looking in the mirror just to avoid having to remind myself that I am the perfect size. I keep a very narrow margin for my weight: I can be two pounds under or one pound over my ideal weight. If I am feeling off, I fight very hard to get myself back centered before I start to disappear.

See, if I type it out it sounds like I'm not at all cured. I do make sure that my girls learn to approve of themselves. When one of them gets weighed my only comments is, "You're the perfect weight for a Dani your size." or Lexi - you get the idea. I also work hard to never let them hear me criticize myself. I have extremely good positive internal dialog.

Others might be more "cured" than I am, but I'm still working at. I don't think I would have survived it at all if my OB, when I was pregnant with my oldest, hadn't recognized it for what it was and helped me to save my son.

Thanks for taking the time to explain it. :grouphug:

I do this mustard on the cheese is gross, mustard goes with meat. I do the same with burgers, mustard on the bottom bun but ketchup etc on the top bun so that the mustard does not touch the cheese

I get a lump in my throat all the time. If the sky is a particularly nice color, if there's an interesting breeze in the trees... a memory, a scent... a memory of a scent. :tongue_smilie:

It's bad. I'm totally moved to my core by tiny quiet things. I don't know what my problem is. I've alway been like this.

:001_wub: It's not a problem. :grouphug:

See, that makes sense. There could actually be stuff swimming with you in the body of water.

Exactly!

But that has never bothered me. Just the sink - a toilet or bathtub that was stopped up and cloudy would freak me out too. I always wonder what might be dragging itself up through the drain. <shudder>

Too much Stephen King I guess. :glare:

Yeah, I do have moments when I freak myself out with thoughts like that. :lol:

When I was growing up, we always ate ketchup on tacos. I was raised by southern transplants who apparently didn't know any better... or maybe it was just a weird 1970s thing. :D

Have you ever tried to explain the 70s to your kids? :confused::D

I have many...um...idiosyncrasies. One is that the tag on a blanket has to be face down and at the bottom. Another is that I am extremely uncomfortable if cupboard doors are left open. I also hate top sheets and do not use them, even in hotels. Ok, I'll stop now.:001_huh:

I have all these and I can't stand for the curtains or blinds to be open after dark. I don't like mirrors or windows in the dark it creeps me out. Only people who live in my house with me know this until now.

this is bad. ths is so so so so so bad, but Imp told me I have to put myself out there, so blame her. I have a thing for "saucy goodness." if the food I'm eating has a sauce, I will lick the plate. yes, my table manners are that bad. yes, dh is horrified by it as were my parents before him. no I dont do it in public. in front of other people, I will use my fork as best I can while eating to make sure I get as much of the saucy goodness as possible. yes, the boys copied me for awhile, but dh told them not to. it drives me absolutely bonkers to see a lot of sauce left on dh's plate. he doesn't even use his fork to TRY and get as much as he can.

also, I have a problem with wiggling. some part of me is always in motion. if i'm sitting, I usually am wiggling a foot

Bread. You need bread or something else to sop up the juicy goodness from your dh's plate.

Ok, you asked for it. My hair has to be parted perfectly down the middle. Meaning perfectly centered and the line perfectly straight. Sometime when I am not very well balanced and my OCD is running the show, I will keep reparting my hair until my scalp is bleeding. I simply can't say good enough and walk away. Luckily, this doesn't happen much anymore because for one thing there is a very thin area in the middle of my scalp when the hair does not grow anymore and it pretty much parts itself there. The other thing is that my OCD is one of the easier things to keep under control. I have lots of other weirdness but I figure this is one is pretty unusual. I have only met one single other person with this same quirk.

I seem to have a lot of grocery shopping weirdness. If I'm buying a refrigerated or frozen item, I can't buy the one in the front. What if it's warmer? Or someone coughed on it? Or my worst fear... what if someone took that item, abandoned it somewhere in the store, and then it was returned to its rightful spot? Ick.

Same with candy. I have to fish way down and get one from the bottom of the box. Otherwise it might be the one some child carried around, begging to have!

If there is a big display of items, the perfect one will give off a "vibe". "Take me, I'm the perfect bag of unbroken chips." "Choose me, I'm the least germy shopping cart."

*Sigh* It's best for everyone if I shop alone.

I've read your post three times and I don't know what part of it is supposed to be weird. I think it must be your DH who is weird. :tongue_smilie:

Ok, this *sounds* crazy...but I can "see" germs. Not like I can really SEE them, but when someone coughs or sneezes I see almost an aura. If they cough on their hand, then touch a surface I can see (in my minds eye) the aura transfer. I think I saw too many of those disinfectant commercials as a child. It makes me VERY squemish around sick people, though. I worked in a pharmacy for about 6 months, every time someone paid me I wanted to scream "Gaah!" because I could see their germs on the money :lol:

I only like to hold hands with my husband. My kids always want to hold my hand, and I feel bad because I have to remind myself to hold their hand or I instinctively jerk it away. I can hug, snuggle, kiss the kids, though, so I don't think they are deprived.

I do the thing about symmetry, too. I used to drive myself bonkers looking in the mirror because I just KNEW one eye was significantly larger than the other (I still see this in pictures, I have learned to overlook it, no one else can see....or will tell me if they see it :001_unsure:

I only like odd numbers, and if I have to start a medicine I like to start on a Monday or Wednesday. It almost kills me to start on a Thursday. My mom is total opposite and only likes even numbers LOL

I cannot stand it if the top sheet is put on wrong. It is to be put on with the "good" side facing down, so that when you fold the bed back you see the good side. When my husband makes the bed, he has been known to even put the top (the wide edge) on some side besides the top. That almost makes me loose control. It HAS to be on top!

I can't stand to have dry hands or feet. My oldest son can't stand the feel of lotion...I wonder if I should have a DNA test?

Edited by Ghee

I will not allow the kids to fold towels.

I cant be creative with food; however i cooked it the first time is how i cook it next time. If something has to be changed, its never right, even if it tastes good.

Im not surprised that my ds needs feeding therapy.

I hate going into new places.

I do not leave voicemails or messages.

My bed must be made before i can go to sleep.

I wash dishes one at a time.

When we help people move, I always volunteer to clean the bathroom. I even bring my own cleaners, clothes, scrubbies, etc. The bottles I clean and bring home, the rags and scrub brushes I either toss or leave there. I use a lot of bleach. Nothing can live in that room when I'm done with it.

I want to make sure that bathroom has all the old cooties killed before I sit on that toilette.

My friends love it when I volunteer to help them move.

I seem to have a lot of grocery shopping weirdness. If I'm buying a refrigerated or frozen item, I can't buy the one in the front. What if it's warmer? Or someone coughed on it? Or my worst fear... what if someone took that item, abandoned it somewhere in the store, and then it was returned to its rightful spot? Ick.

Same with candy. I have to fish way down and get one from the bottom of the box. Otherwise it might be the one some child carried around, begging to have!

If there is a big display of items, the perfect one will give off a "vibe". "Take me, I'm the perfect bag of unbroken chips." "Choose me, I'm the least germy shopping cart."

*Sigh* It's best for everyone if I shop alone.

It didn't occur to me until I read your post, but I do much the same thing while shopping when it comes to not grabbing the first item in a stack. We make frequent runs to the gas station nearby for fountain pops. I can not grab the lid on top of the pile for fear that gas station roaches scurried all over it. I split the stack and grab from the middle.

Health:

I will never use hand sanitizer

I try to not buy things with preservatives

I will not use a microwave

I buy only organic milk/eggs

Never can find toenail clippers, so peel my toenails off after a long shower when they're soft...sigh

House:

All our socks are in one two bins, matched and unmatched...and for some reason I can not get rid of socks from 10 years ago just knowing that the match will show up!

One dog sleeps under my bed, one sleeps between my legs (on top of the covers, I'm pinned)...when we had a beagle she had to sleep UNDER the covers!

I will not ever use flourescent bulbs...incandescent only

General:

I'm the hummingbird whisperer, have had over 10 sit in my hands and feed off my fingers....

So frugal, when I drive, I think it a game to see how little I can use my brakes...(my brakes lasted 200k miles -rear- on our Sienna!! front brakes lasted over 120k!)

It didn't occur to me until I read your post, but I do much the same thing while shopping when it comes to not grabbing the first item in a stack. We make frequent runs to the gas station nearby for fountain pops. I can not grab the lid on top of the pile for fear that gas station roaches scurried all over it. I split the stack and grab from the middle.

Oh, yes! The lids! I do the exact same thing, although mine is more of a germ thing. Hadn't thought about roaches. (Until now! Ack!) I have to force myself to use the first cup off the stack by telling myself that the inside was protected by the next cup. *Sigh*

We used to go to a fast food place where your drink came with an unwrapped straw already poked through the lid. I had to train myself not to think about the fact that their unwashed fingers may have touched the part I put in my mouth.

Yeah. Not that I'm a germaphobe or anything. ;)