Menu

What is your secret weirdness?

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I cannot look into a mirror when it is dark. Can't do it. Freaks me out. When I have to go to the bathroom at night I walk by the mirror with my eyes closed.

I used to be the same way but not anymore. I grew up watching lots of ghost movie...asian ghost movies to be exact:tongue_smilie:

Julia

Health:

I will never use hand sanitizer

I try to not buy things with preservatives

I will not use a microwave

I buy only organic milk/eggs

Never can find toenail clippers, so peel my toenails off after a long shower when they're soft...sigh

House:

All our socks are in one two bins, matched and unmatched...and for some reason I can not get rid of socks from 10 years ago just knowing that the match will show up!

One dog sleeps under my bed, one sleeps between my legs (on top of the covers, I'm pinned)...when we had a beagle she had to sleep UNDER the covers!

I will not ever use flourescent bulbs...incandescent only

General:

I'm the hummingbird whisperer, have had over 10 sit in my hands and feed off my fingers....

So frugal, when I drive, I think it a game to see how little I can use my brakes...(my brakes lasted 200k miles -rear- on our Sienna!! front brakes lasted over 120k!)

OH MY GOSH!!!!!!! I can NOT get rid of that ONE sock that has missed it's match for over a decade!!!

When ds17 was born, I bought the CUTEST Winnie The Pooh outfit, hat and even booties! It was the CUTEST outfit. Then I found an adult pair of Winnie The Pooh socks......... What are they called? The omes that only cover the feet, don't reach the ankles? Anyway, they were so cute, thick, and had red rubber Pooh lettering on the bottom so I didn't slip while wearing them. I remember holding on to that ONE sock for WELL over a decade. I tossed it and wouldn't you know it? I found the other. and I still can't toss it!!!!!

I have lots of weird sleep things. I can't sleep with sheets tucked in. It makes me feel trapped.

I prefer to sleep with no socks on, but sometimes I can't fall asleep unless I put socks on. Then after awhile, I will take just one sock off.

I cannot sleep with both sheet and quilt together, unless I'm really cold, and then the sheet must be on top of the quilt, not against my body. I prefer just the quilt by itself.

Oh, and the sheets cannot have any smidgen of particles on them. We live in an area where the dirt is basically sand, so it's impossible not to get it everywhere. I spend a lot of time wiping the sheets with my hands at night, trying to gather the particles of sand to throw away in the trashcan right by the head of my bed. I recently told my husband he should get me a dustbuster to hang by the bed. I wonder if they make a quiet one, because sometimes he's asleep when I'm wiping the twelve grains of sand off the bed...

Now, are you a picky eater or will you eat just about anything as long as you're able to do it within the above parameters?

I don't think I'm a picky eater, per se. My dh would disagree.

But I definitely like food the way that I like it and feel that I can improve on something, even in a restaurant. I am like Meg Ryan in When Harry Met Sally. "If you have ice cream, I want the apple pie warmed up. If you don't have ice cream, then I don't want apple pie, etc...."

I say I'm not picky because I like a wide variety of foods, but I'm picky about the way they are prepared. :tongue_smilie:

I am generally not very concerned about the state of my house. I keep up with the laundry, toilets, and kitchen. Though DH was asking what the heck I was doing while I was stooping down looking upward at the counters and I said "checking for crumbs." I have black granite and it totally bugs me that there is ever dust/crumbs on it. I have 2 LONG sides of counters and I have become so OCD about wiping them it's ridiculous. Plus a high bar behind one end.

And I just kind of cram the dishes in the dishwasher any which way. HOwever every once in a while DH does it and you would think he drew up a diagram before hand with the sink inventory and made little cut out shapes to arrange it before hand. It always makes me smile in the morning when I open it.

My secret weirdness is that I LOVE to play heavy metal guitar. The heavier the better. LOL I love to be hooked up with one of my Ibbys into my amp through some pedals with serious distortion and just tear it up. I'm in hog heaven. I also really love cars and Brazilian soccer. Yeah, I think I should have been born a guy. :tongue_smilie:

Thank you so much for starting this thread! I have never felt so normal in my entire life. :D

Everyone has one. Tell us about it.

I have many weird things. The one that comes most to mind currently since I'm doing laundry is that towels have to be folded right-side out. Yes, I know it is a towel. Still the hems have to be together when it is folded.

Yours?

I do this. I blame it on my first job being working domestics at Kmart. Folding towels for 4 hours a day.

The silverware in the dishwasher has to be arranged in order: big spoons, little spoons, big forks, little forks, knives. That way, I can just grab and put away without sorting.

I do this too.

When I am on a high place, like a balcony, tall building with an open window, a cliff........I get really afraid that I am going to spontaneously.........JUMP!!

I seriously thought I was the only person to ever feel like this. It happens all the time, I have nightmares about possibly staying in a hotel with a balcony.

I cannot do ANYTHING unless my house is clean and in perfect order --THAT is my weirdness.

Also, I don't know if this is weird or not: I HATE calling people on the phone -- I never want to bother anyone. I LOVE my new hair/nail salon b/c I can make appts online.

I wish I had the clean house weirdness. :tongue_smilie:

I'm the same way about talking to people on the phone. It's probably the one thing about me that drives dh the most crazy. I just HATE talking on the phone. I love email, texting and even when I worked as a secretary I used to dial so I would go directly into people's voice mail unless I needed an answer right away. Then when they called back, I would let them leave the answer in my voice mail.

I can't stand to sleep uncovered. Even if it is boiling hot, I must at least have a sheet. And I pull it up to my upper lip.

Yet, I cannot stand anything close on my throat. Scarves, turtlenecks, choker necklaces, all make me feel like I am strangling.

Yep, to both of these. I might be able to stick one foot out but from the knees to my bust I have to be covered.

I eat M&Ms and skittles one color at a time.

I separate any candy by color, then I eat enough to have the same number on each pile, then I eat one at a time from each color, finishing up with whatever is my favorite if it's something with different flavors. I love Bottle Caps and they must be eaten in a certain way - the pinks are garbage (or given to the kids), then the purples, oranges, cola, finishing up with root beer.

I have to have the "perfect" last bite at meals. I want the flavor that lingers in my mouth to be of my favorite item on the plate.

I do this too. I always finish up meals and candy with my favorite thing.

When I used to eat peanut M& M's I would suck the hard candy coating to a point, pull it out, take the rest iff with my front teeth then crunch with back teeth, suck off the melted chocolate, then crunch down the peanut normally. ?

Yep, this is exactly how I eat peanut M&Ms. Dh's best friend works for M&M/Mars and used to bring us big containers of the chocolate coated peanuts before they got the candy coating. They were SOOOOO good, super fresh and yummy. The best thing ever.

I remember numbers by using math (ex. The last four digits of a friends phone # is 9117 so 9-1-1=7). I "see" number patterns like this all the time and it drives dh nuts.

I do this too. I used to memorize license plates by making patterns with the letters and numbers.

And when DH travels for work occasionally, I pull out the hunting knife to sleep beside me.

I used to have a set of kitchen knives with their own sheaths and I used to sleep with one under my pillow whenever I was alone.

Oooh...I HAVE to mix my peas and mashed potatoes together to eat them. I also do not like to put any form of roll or biscuit or bread on my plate because I don't want the bottom of it to absorb anything from the other food. Which, is kind of odd because I even do that if there's gravy or sauce, but then I dip the bread in the gravy or sauce to eat it anyway! :D

Yup. If the bread hits the sauce too soon it gets all soggy.

For a long time, I kept secret (just my FOO knew) that I occasionally stim by putting my fingers together and wiggling them very fast. I have never told anyone this!

I have a nervous habit of pushing back the cuticles on my fingers. It has to be done in order with the index finger doing the thumb first, then the thumb does each of the fingers in order from index to pinky.

I have all these and I can't stand for the curtains or blinds to be open after dark. I don't like mirrors or windows in the dark it creeps me out. Only people who live in my house with me know this until now.

This is me and my oldest daughter. She always talks about wanting a house with no windows because windows at night creep her out.

Wow, what a relief to get that all off my chest. :lol::lol:

Mirrors freak me out. I loathe them. The house we lived in before this one did not have any mirrors. It was fantastic!

I read magazines from back to front.

I cannot stand to read or watch the same thing more than once (even classics). Seriously, I rather clean up puke. The fun for me is in not knowing what the ending will be. Once I know, I'm done.

From other polls here, I know it is weird that I don't see or hear anything when I read. And I do not hear anything when I think.

I do the thing about symmetry, too. I used to drive myself bonkers looking in the mirror because I just KNEW one eye was significantly larger than the other (I still see this in pictures, I have learned to overlook it, no one else can see....or will tell me if they see it :001_unsure:

I just wanted to give you this emoticon::ack2: (Not because I'm disgusted; just because of the EYES.)

Wow, I can relate to a lot of these.

Here's one of mine: I have to sleep with a night light.

Also, sometimes when I'm sitting alone in front of the computer at night and everyone else is sleeping, I'll imagine I see flickers of movement out of the corner of my eye and get creeped out. Then I comfort myself by telling myself, hey, if there was anything creepy in here, the dog would bark at it or the cat would freak out or something. So yeah, my pets protect me from ghosts.

I do this too but it seems like just when I'm the most creeped out, the dog starts barking at what seems to be nothing. :001_unsure:

and I always sleep with a night light if dh isn't home. He can't sleep with any kind of light but I don't need it if he's there anyway.

Me too!!! I have this urge to chew on them! Like, literally take a bite and chew on them! LOL! :lol:

This does my heart good (I'm the original Creasy Wrist-Addict). In our family, we have nicknames for baby parts, and most of them are food-related. Arms are dough, hands are biscuits, etc. Baby toes are corn niblets! They are perfectly edible. But nothing beats those wrist creases! Honestly, I could just slather them with Nutella and dunk them in some coffee!

Well I think I have mannnnny.. but the one that always seems to concern people (lol) is my disgust for buttons.

They gross me out beyond belief. I refuse to hang up hubbys button up shirts because that would require me to touch them. Ewwww.. I dont even like saying the word.

I hope thats not TOO weird. Lol :)

I seem to have a lot of grocery shopping weirdness. If I'm buying a refrigerated or frozen item, I can't buy the one in the front. What if it's warmer? Or someone coughed on it? Or my worst fear... what if someone took that item, abandoned it somewhere in the store, and then it was returned to its rightful spot? Ick.

Same with candy. I have to fish way down and get one from the bottom of the box. Otherwise it might be the one some child carried around, begging to have!

If there is a big display of items, the perfect one will give off a "vibe". "Take me, I'm the perfect bag of unbroken chips." "Choose me, I'm the least germy shopping cart."

*Sigh* It's best for everyone if I shop alone.

Oh, dear. :grouphug:

Welcome to the boards.

This does my heart good (I'm the original Creasy Wrist-Addict). In our family, we have nicknames for baby parts, and most of them are food-related. Arms are dough, hands are biscuits, etc. Baby toes are corn niblets! They are perfectly edible. But nothing beats those wrist creases! Honestly, I could just slather them with Nutella and dunk them in some coffee!

:smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5:

Mirrors freak me out. I loathe them. The house we lived in before this one did not have any mirrors. It was fantastic!

I read magazines from back to front.

I cannot stand to read or watch the same thing more than once (even classics). Seriously, I rather clean up puke. The fun for me is in not knowing what the ending will be. Once I know, I'm done.

From other polls here, I know it is weird that I don't see or hear anything when I read. And I do not hear anything when I think.

I have such a terrible memory that I can watch mysteries and still be surprised at the ending.

I chew straws. Wad them up into little wafers and chomp them. I can't stand gum (sticks to my teeth) but I like straws. Paper will do in a pinch, but it's not as nice as a straw.

I passed on my genetics in that regard. My hFA son is busy chewing holes in the collars of his shirts. As a child I used to gnaw the wooden legs of chairs, earning me the nickname "The Termite". I think I'll call my son "The Clothes Moth".

Bradyhandsbw-1.jpg

Another of baby Tazzie. I'll try and take some pics of Boo tomorrow for the baby part addicts.

that really sounds sooooooooo wrong...:001_huh:

I know! That's why I classify it under a weirdness and don't always tell people about it. :tongue_smilie: But, you know, I've found through my Random Yet Deliberate Survey Process that most parents will admit at least to having a favorite baby part, even if it doesn't reach the level of my wrist crease obsession. Men, too. Once I asked my kids' band director (father of 5) if he had a favorite baby part. He got this faraway look in his eyes and said, sort of dreamily, "Oh, my wife and I just couldn't get enough of kissing those pluffy cheeks." He said PLUFFY!!! :D

I have lots of weird sleep things. I can't sleep with sheets tucked in. It makes me feel trapped.

I prefer to sleep with no socks on, but sometimes I can't fall asleep unless I put socks on. Then after awhile, I will take just one sock off.

I cannot sleep with both sheet and quilt together, unless I'm really cold, and then the sheet must be on top of the quilt, not against my body. I prefer just the quilt by itself.

Oh, and the sheets cannot have any smidgen of particles on them. We live in an area where the dirt is basically sand, so it's impossible not to get it everywhere. I spend a lot of time wiping the sheets with my hands at night, trying to gather the particles of sand to throw away in the trashcan right by the head of my bed. I recently told my husband he should get me a dustbuster to hang by the bed. I wonder if they make a quiet one, because sometimes he's asleep when I'm wiping the twelve grains of sand off the bed...

Dd can't sleep with socks on.

When I'm driving or riding over a bridge I have to unbuckle and roll my window all the way down. Gina

:lol: LOL I have a general fear of heights and a terror of being on a bridge. Dh thinks it is hilarious and purposely drives too close to the right edge just to get to me. I think after 13 years he has finally figured out it is actual terror not drama.

I don't think I'm a picky eater, per se. My dh would disagree.

But I definitely like food the way that I like it and feel that I can improve on something, even in a restaurant. I am like Meg Ryan in When Harry Met Sally. "If you have ice cream, I want the apple pie warmed up. If you don't have ice cream, then I don't want apple pie, etc...."

I say I'm not picky because I like a wide variety of foods, but I'm picky about the way they are prepared. :tongue_smilie:

That is the way your post mostly came across. But I've known some people who are selective about what foods they eat and how they eat said foods.

Well, I wasn't going to say it out loud. Around here it is nibbling, not acutal chewing. :lol:

LOL! Nope...here they need to be chewed on...hard. :leaving:

And reading everyone's lists of weirdness is reminding me of so much more of my own! I don't think I realized how weird I was until just now! LOL

-can't put on shoes without shaking them out

-can't climb in bed without checking sheets and walls for spiders

-can't wash my face in the shower without taking a look at the drain and making sure nothing is crawling out of it

-have a routine when taking a shower, putting on lotion, and putting on makeup

-cannot even THINK of sitting on a toilet if there is a closed shower curtain in the bathroom! (because you never know who's behind it!)

-I rub the inside of my pinky finger on my upper lip when reading :001_huh:

-love the smell of old books and new real wood pencils

-cannot eat the last bite of my food...feels weird taking that last bite out of my hand (I call those last bites my "butts" and all my friends know I don't eat my "butts" LOL)

I have to change what side I'm sleeping on every time I get up. If I wake up on my left side I HAVE to lay back down on my right. (think this has to do with my "even-ness" thing I've got going on)

-chewy plastic in my mouth makes me gag...horribly. I can't even blow up my kids water wings

I know there's more I'm missing! :D

ETA: I also can't let my feet hang off the bed in fear of something grabbing them. When I was a kid I use to make "deals" with the mosters under my bed. For example: they were only allowed to eat me if I had both feet and my right arm hanging off the bed at the same time. hahaha

Edited by Shawndrese

I do the thing about symmetry, too. I used to drive myself bonkers looking in the mirror because I just KNEW one eye was significantly larger than the other (I still see this in pictures, I have learned to overlook it, no one else can see....or will tell me if they see it :001_unsure:

I'll remember this if we ever meet. I have Graves Eye Disease and I look like :blink: I'll keep my sunglasses on at all times so as to not freak you out.

Wow, I can relate to a lot of these.

Here's one of mine: I have to sleep with a night light.

Also, sometimes when I'm sitting alone in front of the computer at night and everyone else is sleeping, I'll imagine I see flickers of movement out of the corner of my eye and get creeped out. Then I comfort myself by telling myself, hey, if there was anything creepy in here, the dog would bark at it or the cat would freak out or something. So yeah, my pets protect me from ghosts.

Do you have attack cats?

Well I think I have mannnnny.. but the one that always seems to concern people (lol) is my disgust for buttons.

They gross me out beyond belief. I refuse to hang up hubbys button up shirts because that would require me to touch them. Ewwww.. I dont even like saying the word.

I hope thats not TOO weird. Lol :)

That is bizarre. Do you know why you don't like buttons?

I just wanted to give you this emoticon::ack2: (Not because I'm disgusted; just because of the EYES.)

That's how I look after staring at it for a while.

I'll remember this if we ever meet. I have Graves Eye Disease and I look like :blink: I'll keep my sunglasses on at all times so as to not freak you out.

Hmm. I've never heard of graves eye disease, but it probably wouldn't bother me. It seems to only be on ME. It's like at first look I think it's fine, but then I think "well maybe" and I look again, and then I just sort of obsess over it. Eyeliner can reduce me to a tizzy.

Everyone has one. Tell us about it.

I have many weird things. The one that comes most to mind currently since I'm doing laundry is that towels have to be folded right-side out. Yes, I know it is a towel. Still the hems have to be together when it is folded.

Yours?

this seems normal to me.

I probably have multiple weirdnesses. I can't stand any kind of vibration, which is why I cannot sleep with anyone, including my dh. I can't stand the vibration of his breathing and snoring. I must have absolute quiet (earplugs help some) and absolute darkness. My sheets have to be clean and not wrinkled or limp. I must have no smells around me. Everything has to be just so for me to sleep.

My weird thing is when I'm sleeping, and if I have to get up for something, I have to lie down on the opposite side of the one I was lying on - so if I was sleeping on my right side and I got up to let the cat out, I have to lie back down on my left side or vice versa.

I also like my sandwiches with meat/mustard together and cheese/mayo together.

And I load my dishwasher silver with all the same type of utensils together - forks together, spoons together, knives together.

I can't stand having long fingernails. I have to trim them once they get past the ends of my fingertips.

I hate wearing clothes. My ideal habitat would be a blind nudist colony. :D

So just knit shirts and elastic waist pants for you?

The kind on jeans dont bother me for some reason. But yes, definitely no button up shirts or anything for me! I get irritated when the hubby wears them.. and then I remember Im the weird one. Hes normal, and normal people wear disgusting buttons ;)

I know! That's why I classify it under a weirdness and don't always tell people about it. :tongue_smilie: But, you know, I've found through my Random Yet Deliberate Survey Process that most parents will admit at least to having a favorite baby part, even if it doesn't reach the level of my wrist crease obsession. Men, too. Once I asked my kids' band director (father of 5) if he had a favorite baby part. He got this faraway look in his eyes and said, sort of dreamily, "Oh, my wife and I just couldn't get enough of kissing those pluffy cheeks." He said PLUFFY!!! :D

Awwww!

You are such an enabler.

Cause I looooooooooove you!

My towels! But alot of you have that so I no longer feel odd about my folding. They also can only be used once period. Do not ever hang up a towel in my house I will flip out.

Any child that is not a baby sucking their fingers it freaks me out really bad to the point of having to walk away if they are in my house I will say something to the parent.

Children putting fingers in their nose even my kids have picked this up they will tell kids to get away if they see them doing it lol.

People doing my dishes even when I am sick it creeps me out

People touching my laundry creeps me out more

My dishes not being put away exactly as I want them

I am sure there is a ton more things I can't think of.

I love gnomes annnndddddd I sniff laundry detergent and fabric softner every time I shop AND I sniff ever piece of laundry I fold.....

eta: but we don't own a crazy gnome house with a million gnomes...although it might be fun..................DH refuses :p

I LOVE to smell clean laundry! I make my own detergent so it givesme a good feeling to smell that fresh laundry.

oh, another weirdness of mine - I like to iron. I love to smooth out wrinkled clothing and hang them up on the hanger hot and smelling so nice and pressed.

My towels! But alot of you have that so I no longer feel odd about my folding. They also can only be used once period. Do not ever hang up a towel in my house I will flip out.

Any child that is not a baby sucking their fingers it freaks me out really bad to the point of having to walk away if they are in my house I will say something to the parent.

Children putting fingers in their nose even my kids have picked this up they will tell kids to get away if they see them doing it lol.

People doing my dishes even when I am sick it creeps me out

People touching my laundry creeps me out more

My dishes not being put away exactly as I want them

I am sure there is a ton more things I can't think of.

ITA with all of that! LOL! THe thought of using a towel twice disgusts me. The only time I will do that is if I used the towel briefly on my hair or something. Otherwise all towels go in the dirty clothes immediately after use. I wash towels a LOT, like 5 loads a week for the three of us, but I don't care. I love pulling out a fresh towel every single night. Before I use it I love to inhale the clean scent of a nice towel.

ITA with all of that! LOL! THe thought of using a towel twice disgusts me. The only time I will do that is if I used the towel briefly on my hair or something. Otherwise all towels go in the dirty clothes immediately after use. I wash towels a LOT, like 5 loads a week for the three of us, but I don't care. I love pulling out a fresh towel every single night. Before I use it I love to inhale the clean scent of a nice towel.

:D YAY it is nice to be in good towel company