Menu

What will you be doing this summer?

Jennifer L

12yo Niece- Rightstart Geometry and TT Algebra 1, Notgrass Olympics, Reading list

10yo DD- WWE4, Finish MM5A, TT6, Life of Fred, Notgrass Olympics, BF History of the Horse/WP Equine Science, Reading List

8yo DS- Almost done with TT3 then on to TT4, Beast Academy 3A, Mom-made Olympic unit study, Reading List and thinking about doing MBtP 8-10 Concept 2.

6yo DD- Beast Academy, Life of Fred, Mom-Made Olympic Unit Study, Horse stuff w/ DD10, Reading List

I think that's it. What will you be doing school wise this summer?

DD the Younger - Math (MEP 3a), Spelling (finish SWS2), Science (RSO: Life)

DD the Elder - Gelfand's Algebra, Astronomy (in prep for camp), Latin, History (self paced, overview readings, contemporary and historical fiction... nothing formal); four weeks of camp

DD the Younger isn't doing overnight camp this summer because some "boys threw some duckweed at me!" last year. Never mind that she got her own back... :rolleyes:

Ds 11- Life of Fred Pre Algebra with Biology, Teaching Character Through Literature for personal reading books, The Bridge to the Latin Road

Dd 9- Life of Fred Honey, Teaching Character Through Literature for personal reading books, The Bridge to the Latin Road

finishing the last 10 chps of Story of the World 4 (reading and discussing only for the most part)

dd9: finishing chp. 15 of R&S math 5. DD7 practicing reading, copywork, maybe a few of the last lessons of R&S english 2. She also requested a spelling workbook from the $ tree, mostly because it has princesses on it. But who am I to tell the child no about a spelling workbook?

and mostly doing out of the house learning: VBS, day camp, swim lessons, a vacation and lots of house repairs. I already had a lot of indoor projects planned like painting one room and organizing some closets. Now we just had some major storm damage, so we will actually have a lot of outdoor work going on instead. Wish us well. It is kind of overwhelming!

Paperless summer :)

Dd8: Between family vacations and camps...she will play math via HoE, Education Unboxed fractions/squares, Crewton Ramone...combined with reading, music, swimming/wakeboarding/boating/biking

Dd9: Summer fun...and Crewton Ramone, MUS Alg, reading, music, swimming/wakeboarding/boating/biking

Friend's dd6, (my)ds5 and ds3: What Your Kindergartener Needs to Know, Evan-Moor Learning about being a Scientist (I'm making them lab coats out of second hand men's white button up shirts,) The Nature Connection. OPG/HOP and for Friend's dd6 we're working on a list of high frequency words needed for 1st grade that her public school sent home.

Ds5 is also going to work on handwriting. :banghead:

Edited by theYoungerMrsWarde

Intensive cursive writing practice, doing copy work from Mcguffey's Eclectic Readers, with the Spalding font.

DEAR, Drop Everything And Read. We MIGHT be using a couple of the 19 $1 red Literature Circle Guides from Scholastic, to teach ONLY the Reading Strategies and Writer's Craft lessons; I'm afraid even that will be distracting from my primary goal, though. I want to focus on developing reading stamina.

The 4 math processes, first taught with strategies, and then intensively drilled, using $1.00 Scholastic workbooks and Professor B.

Finish reading aloud Rod and Staff's grade 4 geography textbook, and drawing the biomes pictures from Draw Write Now.

That's it for this summer. All of my current students are manic, or being triggered by a manic partner. It's nutty around here, and will stay that way until the days start getting shorter again.

Ds 6.5 - Singapore 2A, Beyond the Code

Ds 6 - Singapore 1B, Explode the Code

Dd 4 - Singapore Kindergarten Essential A, Explode the Code, 100 Easy Lessons

Plus, the boys are doing four weeks of day camp (baseball, lacrosse, gymnastics and science) and Dd is doing one (gymnastics).

What's in my sig., plus perhaps a couple week class in art that looks pretty good, or anyway could be a break and a social experience. Swimming at a local lake when weather allows, and our garden, but as it has not gotten the work it should have, I also signed up for a CSA, which will be its own adventure, getting the stuff from the farmers, and so on. I plan to use a CSA cookbook and try to use only what is fresh and local as much as I can, and to work on that with ds. Also some work on our fixer house needs to be done. And ahh, we would like to build a chicken house and get chickens. Wow. Might need to do less of the academics. We'll see.

Finish SOTW 1 and make our ancients timeline.

Finish Brighty of the Grand Canyon... I just never get around to that one. It is much easier to put in an audio book right now.

Finish MM.

Continue piano, religion, reading.

We year round, so it is the same. Kiddo is going to three camps: a half-day week of paper mache (and man is he excited), a three day nature camp for marine life, and a week's day camp learning wood lore. Add this to trip home to hang with the relatives and visit my father's last living cousin (in her 90s and sharp as a tack) and we have a great summer planned.

Rocket Camp and Rocket Club!! With real, motorized rockets and Aerospace waivers up to 22,000 ft!

And history camp, and VBS, and swimming, and baseball, and all the rest of our regular school in between. But all the boys care about is the first one.

We're going to keep going with math most of the summer. My 10yods is a bit behind so all of us are just going to keep plugging away at that. We're going to start some WWE because we've never been very consistent at it and I just want to keep working at those writing skills over the summer.

I also bought some materials from Tin Man Press that look like fun. We did one of the listening activities today and had a lot of fun. It was interesting to find out that my 6yo (who we affectionately call the 'dear little airhead') listens and follows the directions much better than his 8yo brother who is pretty much academically a year ahead of himself in almost every subject. Who knew?

We year-round, too, so a lot is the same. But we'll mix it up a bit. Next month we'll take a break from MBtP and do a unit study on Yellowstone, so we're all geared up for our vacation at the end of the month. :) And then, because summer is the only decent time for extended periods outside around here, we'll do more unit studies on the Solar System and Bugs to enhance evening skywatching and time on the lawn. ;) And also take a break from chronological history study to skip ahead to history of the western US (Lewis and Clark, Oregon Trail, Gold Rush, etc) to take advantage of our summer travels. We'll sink back into the Renaissance in the fall when the weather turns. I love summer!

8 yr old: spelling, math (BA 3b), handwriting (Pentime 2), history (sotw and history portfolio - ancients)

10 yr old: math (SM6), handwriting (Pentime 4), Italian (we're going to Italy at the end of summer), history (renaissance Italy)

We'll try to keep it to an hour or two max... The girls will be going to camp for a week plus ballet / sports day camp.

Rebecca: WWE 3 double time as I want to get her up to speed. Extra math worksheets from MM on fractions and multiplication, just for another point of view.

Sylvia: Extra MM work on clocks.

Both: Summer Bridge, xtramath, gymnastics (1x/week for Sylvia, 3x for Becca), VBS (July), AHG day camp (July/Aug), library summer reading in June.

Edited by Mommy22alyns

We will continue with Math and Latin. Oldest DS will continue with his spelling remediation. We will also do a state history unit if I can get it put together in time. :001_smile:

We always participate in the summer reading program at our library as well.

DH talked about doing a wilderness survival unit with the boys, not sure if that is still a go. He will also continue their nightly 'men's bible study'.

We will lightly work on doing unit studies based on the Magic Treehouse book we are reading and my big girl will work in Beast Academy and small girl will work on SM Earlybird activity book A. My big girl also is playing soccer, going to recreation and attending a free daily science class when she wants.

And lots of family day trips and hiking! Oh yeah, the girls are also planting a vegetable garden!

Edited by MissKNG

dd6 will be doing some math CLE/MM and games, and finishing Sonlight grade 3 readers

ds5 will be doing phonics probably an OPGTR/Abeka combo and math play

We will start our new curriculum sometime in July . . . so our goal is to tread water with dd and make some ground up in phonics with ds. :)

The kids each have a plot in our veggie garden, so they are growing veggies and keeping a garden journal/notebook.

DS 9- handwriting.

DS 9 & DD 7- keep reviewing math facts

whole family- light & fun american history review, mostly read alouds, & dvds

Reading!!!!

And our usual camping, hiking, fishing & swimming.

We're just starting Winter Promise's Adventures in the Sea & Sky. We'll keep a pretty loose schedule with it this summer. I am planning to use what we don't get through this summer in the 12-13 'school year'.

Lots of field trips related to S&S. We live by the ocean so this will be fun.

The two oldest (they're almost 10 and 8) will go for a whole week to camp at the monastery. First time away!

10 yo keeps fencing year round but all other outside the home classes cease, thank goodness

Homeschool park days every week with our group

Library

We're in the process of buying a house so hopefully, moving (nearby). That's educational, no? :D

And then, because summer is the only decent time for extended periods outside around here, we'll do more unit studies on the Solar System and Bugs to enhance evening skywatching and time on the lawn. ;)

We're doing astronomy too! We have such a limited window to actually see the stars around here. Hopefully, we don't get the June gloom. I want to see the transit of Venus!

Older dd has cello lessons and a twenty-hour a week volunteer job.

Younger dd will have zoo camp and dance lessons, plus she'll continue daily reading and LoF Elem.

They both will continue Judo and have weekly park days with friends. They're also growing a vegetable garden and redecorating their rooms.

We are spending the summer enjoying our new baby. There will be lots of reading, playing, art projects, and museum trips . . . but no formal schoolwork. We all need a break while I'm sleep deprived and I need lots of time with my little ones.

In addition to that, dd8 is spending a week at ballet camp and she is taking weekly swimming lessons along with ds6 and dd4.

We'll be continuing math and LA, and continuing our Titanic unit, plus some copywork. Not going to push hard for science, we may read some stuff or do movies but for the most part I will wait until the school year starts in August. I do want to do at least one lesson daily of Reading Eggs once he finishes LLFLO, and continuing his Math Lessons with at least half hour on Dreambox daily. We also will have swim lessons for both kids weekly and the older one will be doing piano lessons weekly too. We'll do a lot of read-alouds as well.

Edited by thefragile7393

Girls camp for all my girls and me for a week.

Scout camp for my dh and ds

Sentence Composing High School level for my ds.

Algebra twice a week along with spelling and vocab with my 12 yo dds.

My oldest dd (16 yo) will be attending a Great Books Seminar at a local university.

And my 12 yo dds plan to have a week long day camp for some younger children.

And my oldest dd will finish his first year of BYU-I in July.

Finish WWE2, US history, MM3B and continue multiplication and division fact practice, spelling and literature. Also, twice a week gymnastics class, and a swimming "tune up" camp for four weeks, with Fridays mostly reserved for playdates and as much horseback riding as Ariel can convince me to let her do.

Edited by Aurelia
Plans changed!

Finishing up WWE and FLL, lots of reading and watching The Electric Company on Netflix, a few minutes a day on xtramath.com, some casual use of Miquon, a couple of road trips, camping, lots of time playing with friends, sleepovers and slumber parties...

We plan to keep on with math throughout the summer. Also, I'll review some spelling words and the blue, red and yellow cards from AAS once a week or so. They read a ton on their own, so no need to do any review there. I may keep going in WWE (we had put it away to use CW for awhile, but I'd like to finish it before going back to CW in the fall). Then again, the beach might be calling my name.... :D:auto:

Swim lessons, museums trips etc also, but I don't consider that "school".

I will be doing this :willy_nilly: :banghead: all summer trying to get ready for the Fall...My boys will be doing this :boxing_smiley: all summer...

Wish us luck :tongue_smilie:

Yes! Same here! :001_smile:

Oh yes mine will also be going to camp, keeping up on their extracurricular, traveling, hiking, visiting family, cleaning, painting/renovation, we also might go on a cruise at the end of the summer, and my 12yo nieces pen-pal in France might come stay with us for a couple weeks but I don't really count that as school. :D

Edited by Jennifer L

Miss P will be doing Theater Camp in July, and we are going on a ~3 week vacation in August, after which we will start up full-steam, so I guess that just leaves June . . . Our plans are to finish MM 4, LoF J, Lively Latin (2 lessons left) and our Anatomy unit in science. Should be doable . . . until I look at adding swimming lessons, horsebackriding camp, and a few weekend camping trips . . . :tongue_smilie:

Tiny Mo will be doing swimming lessons all summer - gotta get that girl swimming on her own!! Also lots of fun with math, and she is really excited to do the fat packet the 1st grade teacher sent home with them for the summer - lots of worksheets, but she digs 'em!

We'll be doing a bunch of read-alouds, all 3 of us; I'm thinking The Princess and the Goblin, The Princess & Curdie, 5 Children and It for sure. Miss P has a whole stack of books to read. Mo will be learning to read chapter books all on her own! Her goal is to read the whole Frog and Toad treasury on her own by the end of the summer. I've also got her reading the McGuffey 1st grade book for practice. I am going to bossily insist on continuing with OPGTR, too . . . :glare:

DS8 - will finish TT3 (started late), play with his Exploration Education Science (because he thinks it is too fun to be school) and lots of reading.

DS13 - during the few weeks he is actually home during the summer(Camp after camp, grandma visiting, going to his dad's), he will continue with his full school days using HODs Rev2Rev. He will be with his dad for 3 weeks in September and 3 weeks in Dec/Jan...so this is the only way we can swing that much time off and still finish on time next school year. He is 4 weeks into his 8th grade year already and we'll just keep plugging away. :)

We are moving into the next phase of life: back to the U.S. We'll be in the new house in mid-July. I am hoping that some school can go on even when we live at mil's house. We'll see.

IF it does work, we'll continue to work on math for all. I also designed a "reading challenge" for them. All the books are chosen by me (well, 2 are freebies). They have to read and report (in various ways) on all of them by August 1. If they complete it, we will do a water park day!

We also do Vacation Bible School and I signed them all up for summer drama/music classes.

We have 6 weeks left of school as of today. It's mostly loose ends. The only rigor will be in writing and finishing up the challenging integrated science. I had forgotten about Gelfand's Algebra, so we're doing that instead of LOF for the summer. She's done the first 20 or so chapters and I'm so glad I had forgotten about it because she's really enjoying it where she's at, mathematically. We're getting done with our last formal year of Latin (she'll study for the AP for 9th). I'm giving her more access to her curriculum choices, so we'll be spending time going through samples and booklists for the summer. I've been remiss in teaching about what others (teachers/employers) may expect in terms of punctuality and organization, so we're going to get some plans going for that (harder than it should be for me).

For the baby, it's so completely different than when my oldest was that age. We'll keep up with MEP and art. We'll get back to PP when she shows an interest in reading again.

We have 6 weeks off starting July 20:

Travel to Aruba for a week to go see their grandmother

Summer Reading list (I gave him choices, but he wants to read them all :D)

Penmanship

Math games on computer

Listening to Composer music (studied the previous year)

Dancing Mat

Piano

Liberty's Kids

History of Us

Nature and Science shows

Family games and puzzles

When dd is not at camp...2 weeks strings camp in June, 1 week Celtic music camp in July with her brother...or traveling to Ireland in August to compete, we will be plugging through AoPS Pre-Alg, finishing up some reading on Westward Expansion for history, completing Earth science experiments, and continuing with violin and fiddle lessons. Most everything else I had planned for this year is finished or will be in the next week or two. We will only be doing school 2-3 days a week just to finish up and keep math going.

Character studies.. this kid is a wild one

Finish up SM 1A and move to 1B

Rightstart Math Games a few times per week

Lots of reading to each other

AAS 2

Daily handwriting practice

Some themed activities, art projects and science experiments as we feel like it

Play, play, play!!!

We're still going to plug away at OPTGR and RS A. It's a given for us that DD will continue to read to us every day. Hopefully, we'll make a dent in our read-aloud stack. I am in the process of putting together a pre-history unit to be done over the summer.

She'll also resume swimming lessons, go to day camp for several weeks, and she'll do an overnight Girl Scout camp for 3-nights (her choice).

My older son's violin teacher wants to teach him over the summer. I don't have the money this year because we are going away and I joined my town's lake association. We live across the street from it and so, we avoided it for 10 years. Hopefully, the lake will go well. We went to the Memorial Day beach party. It was nice. So, we will splash around in our lake.

I need to pray about finding a piano teacher. I need the Lord's direction on this one because it seems as if the going rate for teachers is $60 an hour.:eek: I really have to figure out what God wants for my children in terms of the piano.

I know that I want my sons to read over the summer and do math. I am adding Spanish this year. So, swimming, reading, and a cruise are what we are looking to do so far.

I forgot! I order the material from the National Bible Bee. We will study the Bible over the summer using the Bible Bee materials.

Blessings,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

Edited by Testimony
forgot about the Bee