Menu

Shirts with Holes - Granite Countertops?

Do you get those "belly holes" in your t-shirts? Do you have granite countertops?  

1. 1. Do you get those "belly holes" in your t-shirts? Do you have granite countertops?

• I get the holes; my counters are granite.
    • I get the holes; my counters are not granite. (Specify in thread below.)
    • I don't get the holes; my counters are granite.
    • I don't get the holes; my counters are not granite.
    • Other. For those of you with two kitchens or something.

New theory:

I don't get the holes; my countertops are Formica.

My sister gets the holes; her countertops are granite.

What is your experience, Hive?

ETA: As discussed in several other threads, today and in the past, some women get tiny holes in their t-shirts in the belly area. Others don't seem to get these holes at all. It seems to have started in the past few years; older t-shirts don't get the holes.

No one seems to know what causes it. Previous discussions seem to have ruled out top loader vs. front loader washing machine, using chemicals (bleach) to wipe counters vs. using water, tucking in shirts vs. not tucking, and so on. This is an attempt to prove or disprove another theory - that the makeup of the counters against which one may be rubbing may have something to do with it, either through roughness or through some chemical process. See several other polls today to test out other theories.

Edited by askPauline

What holes are you talking about?

As discussed in several other threads, today and in the past, some women get tiny holes in their t-shirts in the belly area. No one seems to know what causes it. Previous discussions seem to have ruled out top loader vs. front loader washing machine, using chemicals (bleach) to wipe counters vs. using water, tucking in shirts vs. not tucking, and so on. This is an attempt to prove or disprove another theory - that the makeup of the counters against which one may be rubbing may have something to do with it, either through roughness or through some chemical process.

I voted No Granite No Holes, but then I wondered WHY your stomach is against your counters. Maybe I'm too short to get it, but I don't lean on my counters.

:iagree: and I'm not short. I'm also not thin anymore. I have had one or two shirts with a couple of holes in the belly area, but I'm thinking it's more of crappy Walmart fabric and regular wear.

My counters are granite and I have no idea what sort of holes you're speaking of. All the clothing in our household gets holes only from typical sources and only in typical places. I'm totally :confused:

I also don't rub up against my counters much.

I get the holes in some shirts but not others. Some of the shirts with holes are better quality (I would assume) than some of the ones without. I have a couple Lord & Taylor and Ann Taylor tops that have them, my ON and Gap ones typically don't, and I wear those more often.

We have laminate.

Well, I think this poll clearly shows it has nothing to do with the type of countertop. (And about 70% of Hive folks don't have granite, which is kind of interesting.)

I was convinced it was somehow chemical, but I think on the last go-around we decided that kitchen counter cleansers weren't the culprit.

We've ruled out top loaders vs. front loaders, tucking in vs. wearing out, belts vs. no belts...

Several people have mentioned that they think brands make a difference. I don't know - the divide is so clear that some folks get them and some don't, and the location is so specific, which makes me think it is more about the person's habits, some kind of chemical involvement, or other environmental factors. Maybe another thread could investigate brand names...

Well, I think this poll clearly shows it has nothing to do with the type of countertop. (And about 70% of Hive folks don't have granite, which is kind of interesting.)

I was convinced it was somehow chemical, but I think on the last go-around we decided that kitchen counter cleansers weren't the culprit.

We've ruled out top loaders vs. front loaders, tucking in vs. wearing out, belts vs. no belts...

Several people have mentioned that they think brands make a difference. I don't know - the divide is so clear that some folks get them and some don't, and the location is so specific, which makes me think it is more about the person's habits, some kind of chemical involvement, or other environmental factors. Maybe another thread could investigate brand names...

That would be very interesting.

Here's another thing: the only place I would habitually belly up is at the sink. But it's an apron sink, so has smooth, rounded edges. There's no counter there.

As far as chemicals, we use non-toxic, mostly gray water compatible cleaners. I suppose it's possible that cleaners with enzymes in them could degrade cotton fibers if there is a habitual protein spot on the area, right? I don't think my cleaners are particularly enzymatic (I don't use BacOut, for instance), nor think I usually have a food spot around my navel...

The fabrics that get the holes, aside from being cotton knit, aren't similar, at least in weight or drape...

What about seatbelts? I wonder if the top of my lap belt hits a piece of shirt in that area. It's funny how common, yet mysterious this phenomenon seems to be.

Eta: my husband is wondering if the little doohickey piece of the seatbelt that keeps it from just dropping on the floor might be hitting when the belt is released. On him (5'11"), it hits his hip. On me (5'0") it may hit right in the hole spot. I'll check tomorrow... We have to get to the bottom of this! :D

Edited by MyCrazyHouse

I have a couple of t-shirts with small holes. I'm quite sure that the washing machine did it to them. I have a front loader. Maybe that should be the next poll.

(As for the other polls: I'm 5'7", my kitchen counters are Corian and my bathroom counter is granite.)

I'm convinced it's a combination of Tide (enzymes clean better, but harsher on fabric), certain front load washers (sharp drain holes), and delicate fabric.

Oh and my counters are granite, but I'm short and my belly doesn't come anywhere near the edge.

Interestingly, I am hugely pregnant now and have a hard time washing dishes because I have to lean over the sink. (More uncomfortable rubbing on the countertop.) But, none of my maternity shirts have gotten holes... and some have been worn tons through multiple pregnancies. I don't have a lot of maternity clothes.

I do get them in my regular shirts. I don't wear belts. I do wear pants with zippers when not pregnant and now none of my pants have zippers.

The seat belt idea is interesting as well. Maybe the belt is hitting me more across the lap while pregnant?

I've questioned moths and cheap shirts previously. I'm glad to see I'm not alone! I also thought it could be our old washing machine, but we now have a new front loader.

I have little holes in some of my thinner t-shirts, right at my waistline in the front. They are from my dog, who likes to greet me by jumping up and putting his front paws there while wagging like crazy until he gets a scratch on the head. Bad doggy manners, but he's so cute when he does it.:001_smile:

My holes are usually in the belly button area, but occasionally I will find one on the shoulder or elbow of a long sleeved shirt.

I'm thinking the main culprit is the crappy fabric that everyone is using (even the more expensive brands). Then any number of things can cause the holes to develop: seat belts, fabric stress from stretching, washing machine, countertops, etc.

I wonder if certain people are more acidic or something. I get them, my dad gets them, and my 17yo gets them. None of the rest of the kids get them and the 15yo does more in the kitchen than the 17yo. My husband gets them on occasion, mostly on his boxer briefs...but they are thinner than his t-shirts.

It's only been happening for the last 3-4 years. I'm willing to bet China has figured out how to weave cloth with tiny imperfections that are undetectable but open easily with stress. Planned obsolescence.

Edited by Barb F. PA in AZ

small holes here... Plain smooth, formica countertops. AND it's not just belly area, but upper back as well for me.

I think it is just the insanely thin & wimpy fabric that passes for shirt material these days, combined with fabric that rubs against the oils in our skin on certain parts of our shirts more than others?

Kids don't get them because their shirts aren't; so close to the skin? Or maybe because they only wear their clothing for 1 season before it is outgrown.

Edited by lcelmer

I don't have time to read all the threads ! I really do think it is the countertop surface along with the height of the counters. We move a lot. In my house that had granite, total holes. Now I don't get them but I have formica and the height is higher. It is the button of your pants as you lean over, slide from side to side or rest by leaning on the counter. Just lean yourself against the counter and see where your button hits. You have probably gone back and forth on this 40 times but that is my theory and I have to get to the SHEM homeschool conference!

I do get holes and I have granite but upon close inspection of the counters there is no way that the counters are doing it. They are totally smooth. It has stopped happening since I began closing zippers on pants in the washer though so I think that was the cause.

I think it's the fabric. I get holes in some shirts, but not others. I have 6 mos old shirts that look worse than shirts I've had for years. Wehave tile countertops, I have 10-20 lbs to loose (pre-pregnancy) and am 5,4".

Just to prove my point, i bought some LE shirts for my daughters 2 summers ago. They were brand new and the girls threw them on the floor in the laundry room, along with other things. Then the washtub overflowed and they got wet. When I washed them the new shirts turned to rags. Complete rags with huge holes in them. The other things were fine. Just from being wet on the basement floor. (which admittedly isn't the best way to treat your clothes)

Edited by Scuff

I get the holes in some shirts but not others. Some of the shirts with holes are better quality (I would assume) than some of the ones without. I have a couple Lord & Taylor and Ann Taylor tops that have them, my ON and Gap ones typically don't, and I wear those more often.

We have laminate.

It's my Ann Taylor Loft shirts that get them for the most part. I buy most of my shirts there, but I don't know why when I know they're going to get the holes!