Menu

Today I made an appointment with a therapist...

...and now I want to cancel it. :001_unsure:

Like, really REALLY want to cancel it.

Here are my conflicting thoughts:

#1. I'm more depressed than I realized. I'm crying several times almost every day, and it couldn't hurt to go see if talking to someone would be helpful.

#2. Yes, I might be a little depressed, but this too shall pass, and seeing someone is an overreaction that could snowball before I know it.

#3. I could try the Wellbutrin instead. I have it in my cabinet, I just didn't decide to take it.

#4. Part of what is making me sad & insecure right now is a libido issue on dh's part, and I probably shouldn't throw Wellbutrin into the mix. The intimacy thing is hard enough to figure out right now, and I shouldn't take any medication that might "muddy the waters" while I wait & pray for dh to follow through on resolving a probable health issue causing the libido change.

#5. My primary care doc gave me a book to read about CBT, and I haven't gotten past the first chapter. That might help on it's own if I knuckle down and work my way through it.

#6. I really want to cancel tomorrow's appointment and pay the required fee for skipping the appointment, but will the therapist then write me off as a flake and not offer me another appointment should I decide in the future to follow through? Will she think poorly of me and not want to help me in the future if I cancel?

So, which of these thoughts is reasonable, rational, and which of them should I not be paying attention to because I'm in general not thinking clearly these days. :confused:

ETA: I guess my secondary question is, what should I expect if I DO go tomorrow?

Go. Just go. Besides, if the appointment is tomorrow and you cancel now (less than 24 hours in advance) you'll probably have to pay for it anyway!

I went to see a therapist a few months ago. I've been on anti-depressants for years, (bi-polar type 2 is very prevalent in my family and I have had docs that say I have it and docs that say I don't) I didn't really think I needed 'talk therapy'. I knew what was wrong, what I 'should' do, there was nothing traumatic in my life, there was nothing that a therapist could say/do to change anything.

I was wrong. She was wonderful and even though all my 'reasons' were true, she made me feel empowered, talking with her gave me strength to fight the battle that I have to fight. It really helped a lot. I saw her every couple of weeks for awhile and another thing that helped was that I knew I was going to see her, I knew that she was going to hold me accountable for doing the things I needed to do and that was huge- friends let you make excuses, they won't tell you to get your butt in gear.

I hope that your therapist is a good one and that she helps you gain insight and get some real help.

#1 is the reasonable best choice in my opinion,

All of the others I feel are because you are not feeling well right now.

Go with # 1, have someone drive you there so that you do not cancel! Please!

As for the appointment, take a list of meds with you, a list of your feelings throughout the day, what might be making you cry or feel off and bring those lists to the therapist!

Hang in there but you should really go!

Good luck!

I don't have any direct experience with depression but I don't see how it would hurt to keep the appointment. I doubt any professional would consider you a "flake," I am sure the therapist will take your concerns seriously and hopefully give you some good advice. :grouphug: to you OP.

:grouphug:

Depression is hard. Very hard. And when you're depressed, it is SOOOOO hard to DIY. If you go too long without help, there's no telling in what kind of state you might find yourself. Yes, you might be able to work it out, but what if you can't...

Yes, you've got options right now, things you can DIY, and that's great. But who's to say you can't use all of the resources available to you? You could get the therapist's opinion on those DIY things, and he/she could perhaps give you some other ideas to try as well. Professional help and advice, if available, can help you from frustrating yourself and give you directions toward that light that must be there somewhere at the end of the tunnel.

I'd go.

It can be scary to start to deal with our icky stuff.

Be brave.

Keep the appointment.

I've had my share of theraputic appointments. I went thru a horrendous depression, and so I know it can feel so overwhelming, and conflicting thoughts are totally normal.

The therapist will not judge you.

You will not the be "worst.case.ever!" or win the Flakey prize, trust me.

She or he will be there to listen, offer clarity, ask questions, etc., but the control of the appointment is up to you, really. She can't go deep without your permission, because she can't read your mind. She won't uncover anything you don't want to reveal, because, well, she can't read your mind! She may help you piece together motivations and reasons behind behavior, and give you something to think about, but really, it's ok. You can tell her if you feel she's going too fast or whatnot.

I think you are wise to go.

please go and talk with the therapist.

crying several times a day is a sign that it would be good to have a helping hand.... and having conflicting thoughts about it is also a sign.

s/he may be able to give you some ideas about how to help your dh get help for his issues, too..... and modelling that an adult gets help when they need it is a great place to start, kwim?

ann

Go. Go. Go. Your first reason alone is enough to warrant talking things over with someone. It's clear you are hurting right now, and you need an objective opinion at this point.

I'm someone who has struggled with depression off and on for years. I understand your fears, your rationalizations as to why you may not need to go, and your sadness. The therapist is there for you, and he/she will not be phased if you spend the entire session bawling your eyes out. You are raw right now, and that is okay. Just explain all you told us in your OP, and the therapist will go from there.

Please, do this for YOU. It will make your life 1000 times better in the long run. The short haul may be painful, but nothing is worse than where you are currently. Life is too short to feel the way you are feeling, and depression is a very real medical issue. Please take care of yourself. :grouphug:

It can be scary to start to deal with our icky stuff.

Be brave.

Keep the appointment.

I've had my share of theraputic appointments. I went thru a horrendous depression, and so I know it can feel so overwhelming, and conflicting thoughts are totally normal.

The therapist will not judge you.

You will not the be "worst.case.ever!" or win the Flakey prize, trust me.

She or he will be there to listen, offer clarity, ask questions, etc., but the control of the appointment is up to you, really. She can't go deep without your permission, because she can't read your mind. She won't uncover anything you don't want to reveal, because, well, she can't read your mind! She may help you piece together motivations and reasons behind behavior, and give you something to think about, but really, it's ok. You can tell her if you feel she's going too fast or whatnot.

I think you are wise to go.

I think I might cry before I even say anything, and it will not be pretty weeping. It might be sobbing so hard that I will not be able to speak, which will give the impression that something is really wrong. Overall, I have a great life, and my sadness is all way out of proportion to what's really going on. Sheesh! I'm such a whiner right now. :glare:

I think I might cry before I even say anything, and it will not be pretty weeping. It might be sobbing so hard that I will not be able to speak, which will give the impression that something is really wrong. Overall, I have a great life, and my sadness is all way out of proportion to what's really going on. Sheesh! I'm such a whiner right now. :glare:

No expert, but I think the bolded is exactly why you should go. Isn't that pretty much what clinical depression is? If your sadness was related to a specific event (grief comes to mind) it would be situational and likely to heal over time.

:grouphug::grouphug:

Even if it's the most severe of "ugly crying", do not be ashamed. Also, be fair to yourself here... you are trying to place a level on your sadness. It doesn't have to be resulting from an extreme event. It just IS, and you are in pain. There's NOTHING to be ashamed of in that. Your sadness is YOURS, and it's affecting your life. Give yourself grace :grouphug:.

No expert, but I think the bolded is exactly why you should go. Isn't that pretty much what clinical depression is? If your sadness was related to a specific event (grief comes to mind) it would be situational and likely to heal over time.

:iagree: Well said... you should listen to her! :tongue_smilie:

:iagree: That right there is a really good reason to go. :grouphug:

There is nothing you could do or say that would shock or surprise a therapist. They've heard and seen it all, and they won't judge you or think you are weak.

You NEED this. It's crystal clear to anyone who read this post that you are not just being a crybaby whiner. :grouphug:

Please go. It's hard to open up at first when your emotions are so messed up, but getting it all out and talking to someone who you know will listen is amazing. You'll feel so much better afterward. It's hard to see clearly when you're depressed, but I've been there, and trust me, it WILL help.

Well, I think if you are crying now anyway, you might as well write down a few dot points to put in your purse for tomorrow. That will get the conversation started even if you are crying too much to speak.

Rosie

That is a sign that you really, REALLY need to go. Honestly. The therapist has seen much worse before, trust me! If your sadness were in proportion to your actual life you wouldn't be depressed. ;) It's the overwhelming sadness that is out of proportion that you really need help with! And the therapist's many years of schooling and practice give her knowledge to help you out a great deal and to understand what you are feeling. A therapist is probably one of the most cried-to professions out there. She's used to it. ;)

Go to the appt, and it would be best if you had someone to either go with you for accountability or someone to check in with afterwards (even us) to tell us what new steps she recommended and how you'll implement them.:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Guest submarines
That is a sign that you really, REALLY need to go. Honestly. The therapist has seen much worse before, trust me! If your sadness were in proportion to your actual life you wouldn't be depressed. ;) It's the overwhelming sadness that is out of proportion that you really need help with! And the therapist's many years of schooling and practice give her knowledge to help you out a great deal and to understand what you are feeling. A therapist is probably one of the most cried-to professions out there. She's used to it. ;)

Go to the appt, and it would be best if you had someone to either go with you for accountability or someone to check in with afterwards (even us) to tell us what new steps she recommended and how you'll implement them.:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

:iagree: You can do this! You've already made the first step (awesome! :hurray:). You owe it to yourself to take good care of yourself. :grouphug:

Have you considered just giving in to the crying? Sometimes that truly is the best medicine. :grouphug:

Go to therapy. Make a list of all the things weighing heavily on your mind. Have a good cleansing cry it will get better. It will not be an overnight thing its a process. But right now you are stuck and you can't move. Ask me how I know. A threapist will give you tools to move beyond your current state. I hope your therapist is a good match for you. If you need meds you need meds. If you are uncomfortable with the meds tell your therapist your concers and he/she will direct you on what path is best. I highly recommend therapy. :grouphug::grouphug:

I really think you owe it to yourself to go. You deserve to be happier in life. If you have a good therapist, you will gain a whole new understanding of yourself, you will enjoy some healing. If you have a good therapist, you will NOT regret it. If I remember right, you've been struggling with issues for quite some time now. Taking the first step is the hardest and scariest part, but you will be so glad you had the strength to follow through.

If it is a good therapist, you will be very glad you went through with it.

If it is not a good therapist, DO NOT GIVE UP, just try to find another.

this is the hardest part, keeping it in, worrying you're going to cry, but it is also the best part. Go ahead and cry. Weep. Get hysterical. Once you've done that, it is comfortable and ok to do it again.

Therapists see it all the time.

I am glad you have a great life, but you can have an even BETTER one if you are strong enough to follow through with this.:001_smile:

ETA: I guess my secondary question is, what should I expect if I DO go tomorrow?

Don't cancel :grouphug: It really is not bad though the first few times were terrifying for me. So if I can do it, then so can you. :tongue_smilie:

On my first visit I filled out a form- about my insurance, why I was there, contact info. Then we talked some about that.

That is it. I was a nervous wreck and talking was hard.

I have taken my daughter before and that therapist asked a lot more questions....lol. I have always figured it was b/c I was such a mess when I went in for myself but the time I took her in I was in mom mode....could have been differences in people though :tongue_smilie:

The point is, they will meet you where you are at- so if you want to talk and cry, go for it, but if you are not ready for it then still go :lol:

That said- I doubt they will think you are a flake if you cancel. They might charge you (ugh) but I bet a lot of people cancel at the last minute for a variety of reasons. So don't worry about rescheduling :grouphug:

Julie, you've gotten lots of great responses. I just wanted to say I agree with all those who have said you should just go ahead and keep the appt. If you do not go and these feelings persist, I think you may feel even worse about not having gone and it could spiral down. Like others have said, the therapist will meet you right where you are.

You have absolutely nothing to lose and it could be just the ticket to recovery and on to a better life.

Go to therapy. Make a list of all the things weighing heavily on your mind. Have a good cleansing cry it will get better. It will not be an overnight thing its a process. But right now you are stuck and you can't move. Ask me how I know. A threapist will give you tools to move beyond your current state. I hope your therapist is a good match for you. If you need meds you need meds. If you are uncomfortable with the meds tell your therapist your concers and he/she will direct you on what path is best. I highly recommend therapy. :grouphug::grouphug:

:iagree:From another one who has been where you are.

:grouphug: The nature of depression - the way it functions in the body and in the brain is that you can't make and sustain changes that will help you. Would exercise help? Of course. Would Wellbutrin? Probably. Would a normal intimate life? Absolutely.

But when you are depressed - an illness - you can't do the things that make things better. Therapy and/or meds are the bridge to getting over and past your illness. They are the remedy to what you have.

You deserve to take care of all health problems, including this one.

Depression isn't related to your external life - and it is the shame and unworthiness telling you that you shouldn't feel this way. Of *course* you shouldn't feel this way because depressed is not the way bodies are supposed to function.

Get yours fixed. Let others care for you until your body begins to let you also care for you.

There is nothing you could do or say that would shock or surprise a therapist. They've heard and seen it all, and they won't judge you or think you are weak.

You NEED this. It's crystal clear to anyone who read this post that you are not just being a crybaby whiner. :grouphug:

Yes, to all of this, and to everything everyone else said. I was amazed at what came bubbling up when I started seeing my old therapist. I thought I was there to talk about my feelings of resentment and frustration related to DH's work and our financial situation. Whoa, was I wrong! She really helped me sort so much stuff out into manageable mental piles.

Yes, you will cry when you go in. You may start crying in the waiting room. You may be like me and feel completely fine, completely normal, just like you're going in for a regular checkup with your MD--and as soon as the doctor says, "So tell me a little bit about why you're here," you burst into tears so hard you can't even talk. IT DOES NOT MATTER. You don't need to feel embarrassed or silly. Like everyone else said, you will not be the first person crying in that doctor's office, and you certainly will not be the last, or even the most extreme! It's all OK; it's good, even. It's the first step, and first steps are so, SO hard.

You will be so surprised at how you feel afterward. You'll still feel heavy and sad, and your face will ache and your eyes will burn. But you will feel like someone blew a breeze through your soul, and you will know that there IS a light at the end of the tunnel. You'll be surprised at how much it helps to have someone really, truly listen to you, without their own agenda or feelings about what you're saying, and with the ability to help you navigate your way out of the maze. Let this person help you.

Go. Please go. If you tell us what time your appointment is, we'll cheer (and nudge) you on from wherever we are, and you can take comfort in knowing that so many of us are thinking of you and wishing you health and wellness and healing.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: You can do it. It stinks and it's so hard, but you can do it, and you'll be glad you did.

:iagree: Keep the appointment.

:iagree:

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

I would go if I was able and I am not crying much at all. I hope you do go at least the first time and don't worry if all you do is cry, but you may not. You may have a chemical imbalance and need temporary medication to help you get out of it. Or you may have long term needs.

But a real live person to talk to is therapy in and of itself, and that is missing from my life right now.

I wish you the best, and will pray for you. Life is Hard, but God is Good.

Isolation is my enemy.

Go to the appointment.

Your initial appointment will be about getting to know you and why you made the appointment in the first place. It will be about making you feel comfortable. It will be okay if you walk in and sit down and start to cry; it will be okay if you don't.

:grouphug: It will be all right. I hope you go.

Cat

Yes, to all of this, and to everything everyone else said. I was amazed at what came bubbling up when I started seeing my old therapist. I thought I was there to talk about my feelings of resentment and frustration related to DH's work and our financial situation. Whoa, was I wrong! She really helped me sort so much stuff out into manageable mental piles.

Yes, you will cry when you go in. You may start crying in the waiting room. You may be like me and feel completely fine, completely normal, just like you're going in for a regular checkup with your MD--and as soon as the doctor says, "So tell me a little bit about why you're here," you burst into tears so hard you can't even talk. IT DOES NOT MATTER. You don't need to feel embarrassed or silly. Like everyone else said, you will not be the first person crying in that doctor's office, and you certainly will not be the last, or even the most extreme! It's all OK; it's good, even. It's the first step, and first steps are so, SO hard.

You will be so surprised at how you feel afterward. You'll still feel heavy and sad, and your face will ache and your eyes will burn. But you will feel like someone blew a breeze through your soul, and you will know that there IS a light at the end of the tunnel. You'll be surprised at how much it helps to have someone really, truly listen to you, without their own agenda or feelings about what you're saying, and with the ability to help you navigate your way out of the maze. Let this person help you.

Go. Please go. If you tell us what time your appointment is, we'll cheer (and nudge) you on from wherever we are, and you can take comfort in knowing that so many of us are thinking of you and wishing you health and wellness and healing.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: You can do it. It stinks and it's so hard, but you can do it, and you'll be glad you did.

My appointment is at 3:45 p.m. (CA time, obviously!).

I am going. I'm wondering though, if I meet with her and it doesn't seem like a good fit, how do I say that? Do I just decline to make the next appointment and tell her I'm going to think about it before committing?

Also, I have enough money for about 10 visits, max. Should I still go? Should I tell her up front that I have a time frame like that? Is that a realistic time frame? :confused:

I am going. I'm wondering though, if I meet with her and it doesn't seem like a good fit, how do I say that? Do I just decline to make the next appointment and tell her I'm going to think about it before committing?

Also, I have enough money for about 10 visits, max. Should I still go? Should I tell her up front that I have a time frame like that? Is that a realistic time frame? :confused:

I would give someone 3 appointments before determining fit. I see nothing wrong with mentioning that you might need supplemental ideas as you may not be able to afford appointments indefinitely. Most folks I know who've attended to their emotional health end up with many good reading recommendations from the psych-ologist/iatrist in question. If this one knows up front that you are interested, she can start recommending articles/books and other things.

P.S. I wouldn't worry about the crying part. I've never been to any doctor's office that doesn't have a good supply of tissues. :grouphug:

Like, really REALLY want to cancel it.

Here are my conflicting thoughts:

#1. I'm more depressed than I realized. I'm crying several times almost every day, and it couldn't hurt to go see if talking to someone would be helpful.

#2. Yes, I might be a little depressed, but this too shall pass, and seeing someone is an overreaction that could snowball before I know it.

#3. I could try the Wellbutrin instead. I have it in my cabinet, I just didn't decide to take it.

#4. Part of what is making me sad & insecure right now is a libido issue on dh's part, and I probably shouldn't throw Wellbutrin into the mix. The intimacy thing is hard enough to figure out right now, and I shouldn't take any medication that might "muddy the waters" while I wait & pray for dh to follow through on resolving a probable health issue causing the libido change.

#5. My primary care doc gave me a book to read about CBT, and I haven't gotten past the first chapter. That might help on it's own if I knuckle down and work my way through it.

#6. I really want to cancel tomorrow's appointment and pay the required fee for skipping the appointment, but will the therapist then write me off as a flake and not offer me another appointment should I decide in the future to follow through? Will she think poorly of me and not want to help me in the future if I cancel?

So, which of these thoughts is reasonable, rational, and which of them should I not be paying attention to because I'm in general not thinking clearly these days. :confused:

Aww Julie.....:grouphug: Just go. One visit doesn't obligate you...but you might find it very helpful and/or WANT to keep going.

I think you need a professional to evaluate you too....as smart as we are it is difficult to know for sure what a person needs from the other side of the computer screen.

Just go; I'll be praying for you.:grouphug:

Don't worry about money or the next appt. Just breath and take one step at a time.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: to you!

I've been through therapy during a really, really hard time in my life. I can't tell you how much it helps me to this day. I use the tools and techniques I learned to cope almost everyday. I have much more self realization and am able to prevent so many negative feelings now and when they do occur I know how to get myself out of the rut. The support of my therapist also made me realize I'm stronger than I thought, so I'm not so afraid of the "worst" happening.

Wellbutrin may help too. It also is the very least likely to cause any sexual side effects, so please lay your mind to ease on that part. Therapy is just another tool to use to improve your well being, but with the right therapist, it can be a wonderful tool.

I hope you feel better soon. Life is too short to allow ourselves to suffer for long, especially if it can be fixed.

The person is a trained therapist.

Believe me, they have seen EVERYTHING. This is their profession. You need to go and begin the first step. It may be scary or anxiety ridden. But you really need to take the first step. The worst thing you can do is give into the depression and stay home.

thinking of you right now, julie.....

ann

You've been on my mind all day too :grouphug: I hope you're feeling at least a bit better.

IMO, I'd also give her an appt or two to see if you click with her. If it doesn't seem like a good fit, you can always make an appt and then cancel it later, too. Yes, you should still go even if you think you can only afford 10 visits or so. I would also let her know upfront that you're limited on funds for this...however, like someone else said, I'd also put that worry aside for now. If you find that it's really, really helping you, you can try to find the money some other way. Does your insurance not cover mental healthcare at all? (Grrr, that is a pet peeve of mine :glare:)

Edited by melissel