Menu

If you have a no shoe rule in your house

We are a "no shoes in the house" family of 7. We have a mud room, which helps tremendously but even in the mud room the floor becomes cluttered and I can't function to do the laundry (w/d is in the mud room), so I have a basket for them to throw their shoes.

We've usually had a shoe shelf as near the door as possible. In one house, there was no room for anything near the front door, so I put the shelf thing next to the back door and we'd carry our shoes from the front door to the shelf. That wasn't exactly a popular option with the family, but it worked.

Now we live in a place where taking shoes off is normal and the apartment we're renting has a cool closet thing where we can all tuck our shoes in neatly. It's the best thing ever.

I found a smallish shoe rack at Costco a while back. It's not too deep but it holds three levels and fits in our very narrow entryway. I think it was about $20 and it came in either all metal, or metal and bamboo. I like it so much that we bought the same one for up at the cottage.

I have a large, deep basket by the front door. I found it for about $10 at HomeGoods as one of the handles is missing, and it holds lots of shoes--even my guys' giant shoes!

We used a shoe basket in our old house. I found a large nice one from Target and it held a lot of shoes. Now the shoe basket is in a closet because there is no room for it near a door and there are a lot of shoes in my kitchen....maybe once we do a little remodeling I will figure it out again.:blushing:

what is your solution to 6+ pairs of shoes at the front door?

My front door leads to our small foyer.

I have an old bench that dh installed a shelf into. Now, we have 2 lines of shoes. I put a basket on top for hats, gloves, etc....and a line of hooks for coats, jackets to go on. I have a teeny, tiny, itsy, bitsy entranceway...and this helps keep the mess at bay.

I also keep a small basket on the floor for little kid shoes, just to throw them in there when they come in...they are not ready to line them all up:D

For our shoes, we built this:

http://ana-white.com/2010/03/plans-rolling-cubbies-inspired-by-west.html

I put two fabric drawers in the bottom, and we put our shoes in there. My DH keeps his boots in the open one and the kids rainboots. Other than that, we keep the kids shoes (since they are so little) in a cubby in their room. My DH and I have a "3 shoe/2 coat" policy for the entry way and then we keep the rest of our shoes in a shoe organizer in our respective rooms to try and keep the clutter out of our small apartment. :)

Here in Canada it is pretty typical to have a no shoe in the house rule. Shoes are either kept in the front closet (if you have one, my home does not because it is so old) or on a shelf. I only keep the current season's shoes out on the shelf. Dress shoes are kept in personal closets, out of season shoes/boots are kept inside the deacon's bench I keep at the door.

We have a cart like this one (just wider):

http://www.amazon.com/Whitmor-6056-344-N-Supreme-Cart-Chrome/dp/B000063SI0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1331905996&sr=8-2

It's inside our apartment's closet. We added shoe mats to the bottom two shelves in case the shoes are wet / muddy, etc. It can hold quite a lot of shoes / boots. We are a family of six.

The top shelf holds our recycling crates.

ETA: For us it's not germs - we only take our shoes off because no one likes wearing shoes. So as soon as we can, we all take our shoes off.

Edited by ezrabean2005

Unfortunately, our shoes are just all piled up. I hate the mess.

You know.....one thing the bugs the heck out of me? I have been married to dh for nearly 27 years. His mother *knows* we don't wear shoes in the house. Never have. She *knows* I have "issues" with things like germs....including shoes on my carpet. And....it's not that she doesn't like me, or anything. She really does like me. But.......she never.ever takes her shoes off when she visits. :blink: They only visit twice a year. They are coming in a few weeks and I just hate the thought of it. I know she'll be here walking around the house in her shoes again. I don't know where those shoes have been. Whenever she leaves....I'm vacuuming, scrubbing the carpet. I can't help it. I know I have issues. But....this really bugs me.

You know.....one thing the bugs the heck out of me? I have been married to dh for nearly 27 years. His mother *knows* we don't wear shoes in the house. Never have. She *knows* I have "issues" with things like germs....including shoes on my carpet. And....it's not that she doesn't like me, or anything. She really does like me. But.......she never.ever takes her shoes off when she visits. :blink: They only visit twice a year. They are coming in a few weeks and I just hate the thought of it. I know she'll be here walking around the house in her shoes again. I don't know where those shoes have been. Whenever she leaves....I'm vacuuming, scrubbing the carpet. I can't help it. I know I have issues. But....this really bugs me.

OMG!! I thought I was the only one with this issue!!! My ILs only come once a year, but I dread them coming to my house because they don't take their shoes off. Then after awhile they say, "Oh that's right, you don't like shoes on in your house" and they take them off. Um, yeah, too late. Then when they go to leave they get their shoes, walk them into my carpeted living room, put them on, and then walk through the living room to the door. :glare:

For those that do this, do you have a bin or pile shoes at every door? We have our main front door which the kids and I use the most. Then, my dh normally comes through the garage, and then everyone uses the back sliding door. I'm not sure where to put something to help implement this.

Tripping over the shoes? ;)

We keep saying we're going to get a cubby, but we haven't. We do have an old, folding bookshelf that we use for shoes, but that gets used more for Sunday shoes, and other shoes that don't get worn as often. Our everyday shoes tend to congregate by the door...I think they're having some kind of convention!

OMG!! I thought I was the only one with this issue!!! My ILs only come once a year, but I dread them coming to my house because they don't take their shoes off. Then after awhile they say, "Oh that's right, you don't like shoes on in your house" and they take them off. Um, yeah, too late. Then when they go to leave they get their shoes, walk them into my carpeted living room, put them on, and then walk through the living room to the door. :glare:

:banghead: :cursing:

I hear ya' sistah!

There's no high-five smiley.....so I'll give ya' one of these: :cheers2:

We converted an old bookshelf and use baskets, one per person. This is a temporary solution until we find something nicer.

Can I share a story? I was raised very strictly to not wear shoes in the house (a cultural thing) but being married to someone from a different culture, I've adjusted very slightly to not insisting on it with guests. If they ask or offer - great, if not I try to roll with it.

Well, when we just had child #3, a lady and her son came over to bring a meal. They kept their shoes on and walked all over the house because the son was a friend of my ds and wanted to see toys and the mom was looking around. As they were about to leave the mom asks, "What's that smell?" Her son had dog poop on his shoes and the mom just shrugged it off and thought it was funny. I was like:willy_nilly::blink::eek::crying:

We have a simple shoe, rack that I built myself, inside, and a shoe basket outside - the latter is for the dirty and/or stinky shoes! Our entrance space is really narrow, so the shoe rack is low so that we can still get inside carrying parcels etc.

Edited by nd293

I would suggest purchasing a drop down shoes rack. Let me explain its fabric and doesnt take much room and you just hang it from the ceiling and zip it away when you have less shoes around!

It solved our mamouth shoe problem.

:iagree:

For those that do this, do you have a bin or pile shoes at every door? We have our main front door which the kids and I use the most. Then, my dh normally comes through the garage, and then everyone uses the back sliding door. I'm not sure where to put something to help implement this.

I *try* to keep the kids to using only one door. If they start using the patio door, then I have shoes and dirt everywhere. If I see unauthorized shoes by the patio door, the owner has to stop what they are doing and move the shoes. Dh keeps his shoes right in front of the door. :glare:

We take our shoes off at the door and take them to our bedrooms. When we get ready to leave, we put our shoes on at the door right before we go out.

I refuse to store shoes anywhere except in the closets of their owners.

This wouldn't work in the north. We have 7 pairs of wet, snowy boots in the winter, and 7 pairs of wet, muddy shoes in the spring. There is no way I'm allowing any of that footwear beyond the front door. My kids somehow find puddles and other unmentionables to tramp through in the summer and fall, so I have an all-season issue.

Then, of course, we do have free range chickens so every shoe has a chance of coming in with chicken poop. :tongue_smilie:

I have three girls and one boy in the house with major shoe addictions plus we get many visitors. I have two of the wire racks at the front door and at the garage door plus one of the black cubbies in the dining room and each child has rack in their room and I have one table in the living room that they are allowed to put their shoes under and yet, I still have shoes everywhere. The girls all wear very close to the same size and will wear each other's shoes so you would think that would be enough for them to keep their shoes put away but it is not. Two summers ago one of my dd took my favorite pair of leather sandles(gorgeous pair of black and brown leather that I can't find a replacement for) out in a rainstorm and lost them. Since then my shoes come to my room. Luckily, neither of the dogs eat shoes.

We converted an old bookshelf and use baskets, one per person. This is a temporary solution until we find something nicer.

Can I share a story? I was raised very strictly to not wear shoes in the house (a cultural thing) but being married to someone from a different culture, I've adjusted very slightly to not insisting on it with guests. If they ask or offer - great, if not I try to roll with it.

Well, when we just had child #3, a lady and her son came over to bring a meal. They kept their shoes on and walked all over the house because the son was a friend of my ds and wanted to see toys and the mom was looking around. As they were about to leave the mom asks, "What's that smell?" Her son had dog poop on his shoes and the mom just shrugged it off and thought it was funny. I was like:willy_nilly::blink::eek::crying:

:ohmy::svengo:

See......now that's what I'm talkin' about. I can not tell you how many times we've had to clean dog poop off the bottom of our kids shoes over the years. Many of those times were times we didn't even have a dog! Plus.....think of public bathrooms. Have you seen what's on the floor in front of the toilet....where you stand with your shoes. :ack2:

I'm surprised how many people have baskets for shoes :confused:. I have seen that for slippers that are only worn in the home, but outdoor shoes? Don't all the shoes become filthy from having the dirty soles of one pair being knocked against, rubbed against and rummaged against the upper of another?

Maybe it's because I can only imagine shoes being dry enough to consider using a basket about 3 months out of the year, but even when it's dry, there's still dirt and sand on them.

I don't have a better solution in my tiny space. We have a shoe rack that is sufficient in the summer, but mud and snow boots stay on mats at the bottom of the stairs, unsightly and in the way. Oh well.

Love the simplicity and uncluttered feel of the basket idea. I just don't think it could get over the dirt cross-contamination.

Wasn't there a very contentious thread on this subject at one point? Or am I misremembering the kerfuffles?

Yes, I believe there was a thread on this. Maybe last summer?

Ok, found it! And it was from 2009! Big thank you to Garga who had linked it in a different shoe thread :) - being asked to take off shoes before coming inside thread

Edited by Mothersweets
added shoe thread link

We come and go through our garage and the shoes stayed in the garage when we were serious about it. Now the girls take theirs upstairs right away. Mine are the only ones all over the place. We also got one of those shoe racks and mounted it on the wall in the garage. It's still there and dh and ds and I still use it for some of our shoes.

http://www.amazon.com/Neu-Home-Over-Door-Pair/dp/B002F92P4S/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1331923792&sr=8-7

We've usually had a shoe shelf as near the door as possible. In one house, there was no room for anything near the front door, so I put the shelf thing next to the back door and we'd carry our shoes from the front door to the shelf. That wasn't exactly a popular option with the family, but it worked.

Now we live in a place where taking shoes off is normal and the apartment we're renting has a cool closet thing where we can all tuck our shoes in neatly. It's the best thing ever.

I would LOVE a picture! Right now we use a five shelf pressboard bookcase by our main door. Everyone has a shelf. I can't stand the thought of a shoe basket, don't shoes get dirty and/or scruffy looking if not stores sitting on their soles? Or without other shoes squishing them?

Me too! This is the main reason I don't do shoes in the house, super easy upkeep on the floor is a nice bonus ;) I credit our shoeless home for a large portion of reducing illness in our family. Especially when the kids were still in ps.