Menu

How much is gas in your area?

I just realized that gas in our area has gone up 0.50 in a month, from $3.19 to $3.69 and wondering how much others pay for gas in their area? I know we're lower than many areas.

At what price do you start to change driving habits?

In January, it was less than $3 a gallon. Now it's nearly $3.60 a gallon. At this point, we are trying to stay more local and my husband doesn't come home for lunch like he used to. It's also affecting our grocery budget.

IMO, it's time for our politicians to do something about it.

paid $3.99 yesterday. I drive our clown car a lot more. It has no A/C so it will be awful in the summer (we live in AZ) but it gets 40 mpg. Dh is unemployed and I work from home. We are very thankful neither one of us is commuting each day. It's all we can do to afford groceries at the moment. I can't imagine another several hundred dollars per month for gas.

My dd filled up this AM at one of the cheap-o stations with $4.39/ gal for the lowest grade, in her little econo- car.

My dh yesterday put in Chevron, highest grade in the big car that needs this quality or it runs terribly and gets awful gas mileage for $4.79. His work just moved (again) and now if he takes the car he is driving in traffic more more than an hour each way :glare:. The rain is pouring down or he would take the motorcycle. It is horrendous.

We do not have a Costco gas station or even a Safeway gas station close enough to take advantage of the fuel savings. We can participate in the Lucky's gas program, but we only save $.05/ gallon once a month at a gas station that is consistently $.05-$.07 more/ gallon.

We (the little kids & I) walk to every activity we can, library, TKD, grocery shopping, etc, but because it is pouring down rain this week and is expected to be the same next week I don't know what to do. We figured out we burn $9/ week getting my older dd to her TKD competition team practice and $8/ week getting to Ballet. If Dh drives the car to work & not the motorcycle it costs $14/day. Per Day! There is no public transportation available to his work at this time and no carpool available.

Akkkk!

I am trying not to think about it too much, because then I have to think about the Summer trips we will have to decisions about and how much it is going to cost to drive our dd 800+ miles away to college.

Amber in SJ

Edited by Amber in SJ
spelling

I am trying not to think about it too much, because then I have to think about the Summer trips we will have to decisions about and how much it is going to cost to drive our dd 800+ miles away to college.

Amber in SJ

This is the awful part. I haven't seen my family in 3 years. My dad can't travel so we have to go there. I really, really wanted to go this summer but I don't see how we can afford to. For six of us, plane tickets would be around $2400. Even with gas prices this high, driving is still cheaper than flying. That would set us back about $1000 just for gas, not to mention food and lodging. We wanted to take our RV but then gas would be around $3500. Maybe we can just throw some tents in the back of the van and camp along the way.

Amber in SJ

Here too....I have a huge loop road trip planned (estimated 5000 miles total over five weeks) starting in mid-May and now I'm wondering what the price of gas will be by that time. I did my planning calculations on $3.50 a gallon (as an average for all areas we'd visit) and now I'm thinking that's going to be way off!

Maybe we can just throw some tents in the back of the van and camp along the way.

DH suggested this to me last night when I was bemoaning the price of gas going up and making our budget for our big trip go much higher than I really want to spend - he suggested we camp a few days, hotel a night here and there, but mostly camp along the route we're taking. Now I need to see what that'll cost!

We were below $3 for over 2 months. Now we are at $3.69. The problem is we have a LONG drive for ANYWHERE we go. (To go grocery shopping we have a hour and a half drive) so cutting down isn't really an option for us.

wow, and I thought our 35 minute drive to town was killer! It costs us 10 dollars in gas to go to town. We try to run errands all together.

Our prices here in GA are around the same as yours :)

2.20/litre yesterday :eek: That is coming close to $9.00/gallon by rough conversion.

We have always tried to have 1-2 days that we do all the errands, shopping, etc. each week & schedule those when one of our boys have sports practice. Ds#1 will be using his motorbike more often to help save on gas when he begins his apprenticeship this month. Thankfully we live within 10-15 km of most shops & our kids' activities. I fear that food prices will go even higher, so I am trying to stock up on items we use regularly now to help us make it through the winter. Dh & I have had little to no work since December, so the rise in petrol prices is more worrying than normal & it looks to be going to rise even more.