Menu

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I call my youngest son Bubba or Bubby, but not because it was a nickname meaning brother. He's just very much a Bubba. :lol:

That's how it started here too. My son was 9lbs 6oz when he was born with a double chin. :D I started calling him my chunky bubba and it stuck. When my youngest started talking, "Bubby" came into the picture. :)

I read the whole thread, and am shocked that my biggest pet peeve has not been mentioned yet:

Brangelina. Or Beniffer. Or any combination of two celebrities names who happened to go on a date once. Gak!

I totally agree with many of the sayings listed, but I am also brutally guilty of using many others. Oh well. It's all good! :lol:

Just about any text typing. I dislike "mini" meaning my child and "OMG". You should have heard the gasket I blew when my dd actually said the letters aloud one time.

Yes... My 10 yo said this the other day with regard to seeing her 7yo sister's messy room, "Ohhhh Emmmmmm, Geeee," with this kind of tone :001_huh:. I about :lol::lol::lol:, but then quickly stepped in and asked her not to say that ever again. :)

Can we have a whole category for adult baby-talk? We can just get rid of all those words where you say /ē/ at the end (or instead of the end) of a real word.

Kindy

Breakie

Sposies

Hubby

Mathy

I know some of those are borrowed from Australia (?) but that doesn't make it right.

Also, our British friends need to give "brilliant" a rest. It's said as often as American teens say 'like' and it's become just as painful to my ears. Yes, I'm sure they care how my ears feel. :D

Not sure about your list. Is Kindy like Kindergarden? I have never heard of Breakie or Sposies, don't know what they mean. As far as hubby and you talking about adding the /ē/ sound on at the end, what would it be otherwise? Hub? Hubs? Somehow, I am not seeing that as being terribly popular either. I hear mathy used frequently in homeschool circles to describe children that are mathematically inclined. Of all of them, I personally would find that least offensive simply because it saves the most syllables. I am sensible like that. :D

Not sure about your list. Is Kindy like Kindergarden? I have never heard of Breakie or Sposies, don't know what they mean. As far as hubby and you talking about adding the /ē/ sound on at the end, what would it be otherwise? Hub? Hubs? Somehow, I am not seeing that as being terribly popular either. I hear mathy used frequently in homeschool circles to describe children that are mathematically inclined. Of all of them, I personally would find that least offensive simply because it saves the most syllables. I am sensible like that. :D

The alternative to "hubby" is not "hub," but "husband."

"Sposies" are disposable diapers.

I don't know why the Australians are getting the blame. The only thing I thought they said was "nappies" for diapers.

I have no idea what a "breakie" is.

To what degree are these used in real life, and to what degree on the internet? Or is there some merging, such as with "lol" and "omg"?

I don't know why the Australians are getting the blame. The only thing I thought they said was "nappies" for diapers.

To what degree are these used in real life, and to what degree on the internet? Or is there some merging, such as with "lol" and "omg"?

I don't know why either. I am one and the only thing I say is nappies, since that is what we use. "Diapers" don't exist here ;) That's not baby talk, it's just the commonly accepted noun for a covering you put on a baby to catch elimination.

"Breakie" I assume is short for breakfast. I have never heard anyone say it other than on a tv cereal add & I haven't owned a tv for many years so I have no idea if it's popular now.

HA! And I was teaching high school all through the 90s. I heard it all!

Lucky me! (or should I say, "It is what it is?") :lol: My bad. :glare:

AHA! That's it! I was in high school more than 20 years before you. I missed the slang of the 90s (we were doing baby talk then) - instead I'm hearing it all over again with my high schoolers and their friends :)

I'd only heard breakie for breakfast spoken on Australian teen shows. However, in Mom Forum Land I heard it all the time. As in::

"I had children with my math hubby. Once they were out of sposies, I fed them breaky and sent them to kindy."

I'd only heard breakie for breakfast spoken on Australian teen shows. However, in Mom Forum Land I heard it all the time. As in::

"I had children with my math hubby. Once they were out of sposies, I fed them breaky and sent them to kindy."

Well, I have only one "hubby," but I guess it could be useful to keep straight one's math hubby, science hubby, robotic hubby, Latin hubby, French hubby, ancient Greek hubby, .... and so on. Maybe this is why people are so into studying multiple languages? ;) Although I'm not sure about the ancient ones....

Well, I have only one "hubby," but I guess it could be useful to keep straight one's math hubby, science hubby, robotic hubby, Latin hubby, French hubby, ancient Greek hubby, .... and so on. Maybe this is why people are so into studying multiple languages? ;) Although I'm not sure about the ancient ones....

Pbththth!!!!! Even my spell check doesn't want to write 'mathy.'

Funnily enough, the one husband I have is a mathematician. :D

It makes me crazy when people say "in regards to" (which is nonstandard anyway—it should be "in regard to" or "as regards") when they could simply say "about" or "regarding."

How about just "in re"? When I worked at a law firm, people used that in regular, non-legal conversation. "So what do you think in re lunch...Thai or Italian?"

A list of submissions so far. I tried to create a new thread with a poll, only to find out that polls are limited to only ten options each. :banghead:

action (as verb, e.g. "action that item")

actualize

adorbs

amazing

anyhoo

architect (as verb)

awkward

awesome

baby daddy

badonkadonk

bandwidth (to denote non-bandwidth resources)

bump (baby variety)

bestie

BFF

blonde moment

breakie

brilliant

bromance

cobble together (any use except co-shoemaking)

cool beans

convicted (to indicate strong belief)

DD / DS / DW / DH / DGS / DGD / DGGS / DGGD etc.

disrespected (as verb)

douche / douchebag

DNA

drill down

dude / dudette

epic

fail (also "epic fail")

fluff (for cloth diapers)

FML

free gift

frickin' / frigging

friend (as verb, also "unfriend")

friends with benefits

get you some

gifted (as past-tense verb)

ginormous

grassroots

hey

hold the phone

How cute is that?

hubby

hubster

I don't mean to interrupt, but...

I get that (in place of "I understand")

I heart...

I just threw up in my mouth a little bit

I know, right?

I love(s) me some...

I need to go potty / I need to go the little [boy's, girl's] room (said by an adult)

I'm good

I'm jus' sayin'

invite (in place of "invitation")

in re (in place of "about" or "regarding")

in regards to

It's a God thing.

It's all good.

It is what it is.

kewl

kindy

lifelong learner

literally

littles

living books

LOL / lolcat / lolz / lulz

Love.

love on [someone]

mathy

mini (for a child, perhaps from Mini Me)

mompreneur

my bad / my bag

newbie / n00b

No offense, but...

obvsies

Oh, noes!

Oh, snap!

OMG / O.M.G. / ZOMG

on the ground

one of the only

organic

pain at the pump (for anything but breastfeeding or TeA difficulties)

preggers

prolly (esp. written)

puhlease

purpose (as verb)

puter

random

Really?

'rents

ridonculous / redonkulous

senior moment, the having of

Seriously?

service (in place of "serve")

sciencing

shout out

shut the front door (for STFU)

sick

Sissy (for "sister")

so (as beginning)

so f***ing happy

spawn

sposies

STEM

stinkin' cute

stoked

supposably

synergy

taking it to the next level

task (as verb, e.g. "We've been tasked with designing a new synergistic modality for our company")

that's what I'm talkin' about

tight

total outpouring of...

totes (in place of "totally")

tween / pre-tween

unpack (e.g. "Let me unpack this verse for you")

vajayjay

very unique / really unique / somewhat unique etc.

viral

wanna

we're pregnant

wicked

word / word up

wrap your head around / wrap your mind around

WTF / W.T.F. / WTFBBQ

y'all

ya think?

yeah, no / no, yeah

'za

Vajayjay! It's got to be the winner. It's friking ridonculus, ginormically ridonculous, if it doesn't win. That vajayjay might have to service you if....wait...no...omg! I can't wrap my head around it. There's too much pain at the pump.
Paper bag. Breathe slowly, deeply.

I've never heard anyone use it, either.

Despite my grandma being a closeted Oprah watcher, I have yet to hear her utter "vajayjay."

I hate to say it, but I prefer even "lady bits" to vajayjay.

ETA: I don't find vjj to be the slightest bit empowering.

Edited by nmoira

Cool beans. What does that even mean? It doesn't make sence!

It's from the 80s, when lots of things didn't make sense.

Vajayjay! It's got to be the winner. It's friking ridonculus, ginormically ridonculous, if it doesn't win. That vajayjay might have to service you if....wait...no...omg! I can't wrap my head around it. There's too much pain at the pump.

I hate to say it, but I prefer even "lady bits" to vajayjay.

ETA: I don't find vjj to be the slightest bit empowering.

Lady bits reminds me of bacon bits or something like that. :ack2: Vajayjay, I don't know, just wrong, just so wrong.

Why is your vajajay friggin redonculously ginormous? Did you injur yourself?

::abrupt subject change::

I thought of you guys this evening when I tried to get my kids to stop saying "over exaggerate."

Lady bits reminds me of bacon bits or something like that. :ack2: Vajayjay, I don't know, just wrong, just so wrong.
I used to be all for reclaiming the "c" word, but it just sounds ugly to me now. OTOH even though we don't have many "nice" options, I see no need to get cutesy.

A list of submissions so far. I tried to create a new thread with a poll, only to find out that polls are limited to only ten options each. :banghead:

action (as verb, e.g. "action that item")

actualize

adorbs

amazing

anyhoo

architect (as verb)

awkward

awesome

baby daddy

badonkadonk

bandwidth (to denote non-bandwidth resources)

bump (baby variety)

bestie

BFF

blonde moment

breakie

brilliant

bromance

cobble together (any use except co-shoemaking)

cool beans

convicted (to indicate strong belief)

DD / DS / DW / DH / DGS / DGD / DGGS / DGGD etc.

disrespected (as verb)

douche / douchebag

DNA

drill down

dude / dudette

epic

fail (also "epic fail")

fluff (for cloth diapers)

FML

free gift

frickin' / frigging

friend (as verb, also "unfriend")

friends with benefits

get you some

gifted (as past-tense verb)

ginormous

grassroots

hey

hold the phone

How cute is that?

hubby

hubster

I don't mean to interrupt, but...

I get that (in place of "I understand")

I heart...

I just threw up in my mouth a little bit

I know, right?

I love(s) me some...

I need to go potty / I need to go the little [boy's, girl's] room (said by an adult)

I'm good

I'm jus' sayin'

invite (in place of "invitation")

in re (in place of "about" or "regarding")

in regards to

It's a God thing.

It's all good.

It is what it is.

kewl

kindy

lifelong learner

literally

littles

living books

LOL / lolcat / lolz / lulz

Love.

love on [someone]

mathy

mini (for a child, perhaps from Mini Me)

mompreneur

my bad / my bag

newbie / n00b

No offense, but...

obvsies

Oh, noes!

Oh, snap!

OMG / O.M.G. / ZOMG

on the ground

one of the only

organic

pain at the pump (for anything but breastfeeding or TeA difficulties)

preggers

prolly (esp. written)

puhlease

purpose (as verb)

puter

random

Really?

'rents

ridonculous / redonkulous

senior moment, the having of

Seriously?

service (in place of "serve")

sciencing

shout out

shut the front door (for STFU)

sick

Sissy (for "sister")

so (as beginning)

so f***ing happy

spawn

sposies

STEM

stinkin' cute

stoked

supposably

synergy

taking it to the next level

task (as verb, e.g. "We've been tasked with designing a new synergistic modality for our company")

that's what I'm talkin' about

tight

total outpouring of...

totes (in place of "totally")

tween / pre-tween

unpack (e.g. "Let me unpack this verse for you")

vajayjay

very unique / really unique / somewhat unique etc.

viral

wanna

we're pregnant

wicked

word / word up

wrap your head around / wrap your mind around

WTF / W.T.F. / WTFBBQ

y'all

ya think?

yeah, no / no, yeah

'za

WOW, I can only assume that the mods thought that maybe you needed a small break after this list? :confused:

Cool beans. What does that even mean? It doesn't make sence!

I don't really know but it has been in use for a long time. My son (currently 29) used it a lot when he was a kid. I recently saw a coffee shop in Atlanta named Cool Beans so maybe that's what it's talking about.

And also find dh, ds, and dd pretty weird as well;)

Bill

I found this kind of odd as well but it was in use when I showed up so I do use it some. I generally refer to my husband as my hubby, all of the daughters as the girls and my grandson as grandson. I do use dc when I am referring to all of my children or ds or dd when referring to just one of them.

I used to be all for reclaiming the "c" word, but it just sounds ugly to me now. OTOH even though we don't have many "nice" options, I see no need to get cutesy.

I read an article once (yeah, I know) about how there are only cutsey, clinical, or crass ways to talk about such subjects in English. We need a fourth way!

I actually have a serious question about this. I may need to consult some of you by PM for advice.

"Team" as in Team Jacob or Team Peeta. So overdone.

Funnily enough, I was trying to motivate my ever squabbling kids to stop ... well, squabbling, by reminding them were are "Team Love" (a term one of them coined). I asked them, "What team are we, anyway?" and my baby promptly replied, "Team Dumb!" Indeed.