Menu

"But, you don't have a teaching degree, do you??"

What do you do when someone asks that question? I've only had one person ask me if I had a teaching degree and I don't think she meant to be rude, only curious. When I told her I didn't (I double-majored in pych and sociology), she was a bit flustered and said that I was so organized and good at showing new concepts to kids that she thought I had a teaching degree.

I'm fairly good at dodging insults and jokes, but I don't know what to say when people ask if I have a teaching certificate. The only thing I can think of is to just smile and say, "No, I don't."

Any suggestions? My style is basically to avoid conflict, but if I'm in a corner, I come out strong.

In general, I think the best approach to homeschooling questions is to take them at face value. I've learned that a lot of times people are asking just because they are curious. More and more, I've discovered after having someone question me that they are either interested in homeschooling or know someone who is thinking about it. So unless they are being rude or hostile I just answer the question.

"Nope, it's not a requirement to have a teaching degree."

I am not even sure if it is a requirement of PUBLIC school teachers, is it?

ETA-

Just found out that in my state, you can EITHER have a teaching degree or go through a peer review process if you don't have a teaching degree.

Look here for your state's laws

http://education.uky.edu/AcadServ/content/50-states-certification-requirements

Edited by MegP

i've been homeschooling for awhile now. (8yrs) I've pretty much heard it all and I get this question a LOT. I just simply say that they don't require it for homeschooling in our state. :001_smile: Let them decide what to do with the rest of that info. ;)

I think it's just an innocent question. They assume you must have a teaching degree to teach. I can see the logic in the question, and I just simply say that our state doesn't require 'teaching degrees' and then, you could state what your state does require.

It can be frustrating explaining it to ppl. b/c I always feel like homeschoolers come across a little misunderstood in this department. I know when I tell ppl that our state only requires: a, b and c that they look at me like I have a third eye. ;) And, I know, in my head, I'm thinking that it sounds pretty lame to state the requirements b/c you know it doesn't sound all that great either. :001_huh: But, I've been homeschooling long enough that I just don't feel the need, nor do i have the desire, to educate ppl on the topic anymore!:lol: I just don't care what other ppl think. I think we can all agree that the ps system is seriously lacking and that homeschooling is certainly a viable option!

In general, I think the best approach to homeschooling questions is to take them at face value. I've learned that a lot of times people are asking just because they are curious. More and more, I've discovered after having someone question me that they are either interested in homeschooling or know someone who is thinking about it. So unless they are being rude or hostile I just answer the question.

"Nope, it's not a requirement to have a teaching degree."

Homeschooling is rare around here, so I DO get a fair amount of comments. I'm also known in my community for being outspoken and a bit of a disability advocate. For better or worse, I have a reputation that has already reached the high school. As a general rule, I give people the benefit of the doubt.

I always answer the homeschool questions (even the innocently asked rude ones) politely. I try to look at the meaning and intent behind the question. I've only encountered a few rude ones that were 'digs'.

There are days when I want to tear my hair out at some of the comments though. :)

I say "Yes, but I don't have to have an education degree or certificate to homeschool." If they're asking because they're curious instead of snarky, I add that choosing curriculum and implementing it properly is fairly straightforward, and that the individualized nature of homeschooling means that courses on classroom management, test scores, education law really aren't necessary for me to teach my children. :)

Cat

I pity the person who asks me that -- my answer would be "Yes, and if you had seen the quality of work that earned an A in my graduate education program, you would understand why I homeschool."

:lol: If I feel the question has a rude or condescending undertone, I will point out that I have a master's degree in education.

If the question is out of general concern or curiosity, like a parent considering homeschooling, I will skirt around the question and state that a degree is not required. It isn't.

I don't think having a degree makes a person a great teacher. I think people who enjoy teaching kids, and have an aptitude for it, often pursue teaching degrees.

Slipper, it sounds like your friend was giving you a compliment. :001_smile:

I have not had to field this particular question yet. However if I encountered it I might be tempted to note that after four years of private school as a child I was noticably ahead when I had to transfer to public school. My private school teachers were not certified.

I say "Yes, but I don't have to have an education degree or certificate to homeschool." If they're asking because they're curious instead of snarky, I add that choosing curriculum and implementing it properly is fairly straightforward, and that the individualized nature of homeschooling means that courses on classroom management, test scores, education law really aren't necessary for me to teach my children. :)

Cat

This is what I say, and I also add in that as parents we are ALL teachers of our children, I just choose to teach the academic portion as well.

Homeschooling is fairly common around here and I don't get questioned very often unless it's someone that it genuinely interested. I do not have a degree in anything. I didn't start college until I was in my early 20's, at the time, I was an HR Manager and the classes ended up taking a back seat to my career. This was prior to having children and ironically, I wanted to pursue an Education Degree...dodged that bullet! lol

I usually reply that research has shown no difference in student achievement for homeschoolers whose parent has a teacher's certificate compared with homeschoolers whose parent has a bachelor's in another subject.

If they push the issue, I then tell them that my SIL told me the coursework for her B.Ed. was an absolute joke.

One of the moms at DD's gymnastics class was peppering me with questions about homeschooling and commented, at one point, "Well, I have a MS+45 on my teaching license, and I don't see how ANY parent can do what a teacher does!". My response was "So do I-and I've learned more from homeschoolers without degrees than I have from any graduate ed school professor!".

I suppose that only works when you can match credential for credential, though.

College professors also do not have teaching degrees.

Regards,

Kareni

Absolutely true. When I get my MA I will be qualified to teach at the local colleges (which is what I am aiming for... better pay and more flexible hours), but not elementary, middle, or high schools. Kind of funny!

LOL - when I used to get asked that, I would put on my best elitest snob accent and say, "No, but none of the teachers at the local public school have a degree from an Ivy League university and I do."

Sheesh - it's hard to get away from the whole one-upmanship thing around this question. And it's hard not to get your hackles raised when the implication is that you haven't thought it through and don't know what you are doing.

Just try to be gracious.

I laugh and say, "Heck no, and you don't need a teaching degree. That's why they make teacher's manuals". And we both chuckle (and I'm implying that not only do I need the TMs, so do teachers!).

Of course I don't really believe that you need a bunch of TMs to homeschool (although mighty helpful!), but it's a good way to keep the conversation light, help the other person to understand how it might work (and maybe she could even do it herself if she wanted to), and to not make her feel bad or uncomfortable for asking when I say no. Plus it's true - I DO need a TM for many subjects!

I've talked at length about this with a few friends of mine who are ps teachers.

They all agree that most of what they learned was classroom management - teaching concepts to 25-35 kids.

Those sort of dynamics don't exist in hs-ing (except in co-ops, I guess), and make a teaching degree completely unnecessary.

Once I explain that, most people totally see the logic.

I have a teaching degree (in secondary math education - 20 years ago!!) so that stops the "how will you teach high school math" question. BUT, all my degree taught me is educational theory. All the teaching experience you gained before graduation was in the public school classroom student teaching. There are quite a few homeschool moms who would make MUCH better teachers than a fresh out of college 20 something certified teacher. It's all about experience not certification.

Beth

If you want to be extra snarky you could say... " No, thanks for noticing! I know, right? That is why my children are doing so well." Said with a cheerful, innocent air. Of course, I have brilliant friends who teach, so, yeah I would feel a bit guilty. ;)

I wouldn't assume the question is meant as an insult, and I think a snappy retort is not actually that helpful. I think people just wonder.

I asked questions about homeschooling to a relative of mine who homeschools when I was considering it, and I didn't get much of a reply, so I have to say, I think HSers sometimes assume there is some weird ulterior motive or insult. And considering this relative and I have similar educational backgrounds, I was not and would not question her qualifications, it was more of a conversation opener.

Many members of my family are or were educators so I don't insult PS teachers.

What do you do when someone asks that question? I've only had one person ask me if I had a teaching degree and I don't think she meant to be rude, only curious. When I told her I didn't (I double-majored in pych and sociology), she was a bit flustered and said that I was so organized and good at showing new concepts to kids that she thought I had a teaching degree.

I'm fairly good at dodging insults and jokes, but I don't know what to say when people ask if I have a teaching certificate. The only thing I can think of is to just smile and say, "No, I don't."

Any suggestions? My style is basically to avoid conflict, but if I'm in a corner, I come out strong.

To me, this is a different kind of question/comment than the "your kid will never know how to live in the real world" suggested in another current thread.

Many people know very little about hsing. In this case, I've just responded (many times!) that a teaching degree is not required by the state. It's common for the discussion to then turn into what is required. I've found that they are often merely curious and aren't trying to be rude.

To me, this is a different kind of question/comment than the "your kid will never know how to live in the real world" suggested in another current thread.

Many people know very little about hsing. In this case, I've just responded (many times!) that a teaching degree is not required by the state. It's common for the discussion to then turn into what is required. I've found that they are often merely curious and aren't trying to be rude.

:iagree: I have gotten this question (even though my oldest is only in first grade!), and have just responded with a cheerful, friendly, "Nope. Teaching degrees are not required for homeschoolers, probably because they focus more on classroom management techniques, which I obviously wouldn't need when I'm just teaching my own. ::chuckle::"

I pity the person who asks me that -- my answer would be "Yes, and if you had seen the quality of work that earned an A in my graduate education program, you would understand why I homeschool."

I have a teaching degree, too, and this is similar to what I say. I've only been asked a few times. It's usually older people.

I don't think a putdown is the right way to go here. My answer would probably be something like this:

"No, and there's no way I could survive in a classroom of 30 kids. But teaching just your own kids is a totally different thing, and that's going great for us."

I have a teaching degree, so I don't get asked that one, but with all the other annoying questions that I do get, I try to figure out why they are asking. Usually, they mean no harm and are truly interested. I would rather not argue with someone either.

:iagree:

I've found the same thing. They rarely have bad intentions. A lot of times they don't even realize you are "allowed" to teach kids without a teaching degree. Most people don't even know that private schools (even the most expensive ones) don't require certification. A few times I've had people ask me that question, expecting to say I don't, so they are caught off guard when they find that I do. They aren't exactly sure what to say next because they were hoping they could say something along the lines of "why do you think you're qualified.." It's unfortunate that people think a piece of paper alone makes you qualified, but I doubt that anything you could say would make them feel differently. Sometimes the best thing you can do to prove them wrong is to introduce your intelligent, well adjusted kids and call it a day.

I've never been asked that directly in real life, and I have lots of friends with ed degrees and don't really have such a lowly opinion of them as this sounds (quite the opposite, in most cases I am quite in awe of their ability to deal with kids that aren't their own, a gift I do not possess), but in the comments that followed a local story about homeschooling, a few people were getting so rude and snarky about it, that I finally responded to one "gentleman," saying something like this: "No, I have a 'real' degree. While my ed friends were taking 'How to teach math to children,' I was taking 'Honors Calculus.' While they were taking 'How to teach science to children,' I was taking 'Physical Science' and 'Biology - Honors section.' While they were taking 'How to teach Language Arts to children,' I was taking 'Advanced Writing,' two semesters of Greek, and four semesters of German. Please tell me again how I am not qualified to teach my own children, just because I never took 'Classroom Management?'"

In real life, I have been asked things like, "Do 'they' give you the curriculum?" or "How do you know what (or how) to teach?" To those more genuine questions, I explain that local laws do say what subjects should be covered, but, no, I had to research curriculum and choose what would fit, and that my options ranged from very scripted materials that would almost make it possible for my 9 year old to teach my 7 year old to materials best designed for parents that already knew that subject matter, and that these days, there is so much out there that the hard part is in choosing, rather than finding, appropriate fits for our family.

So, snark for snark, and helpful and polite for genuine questions. :D

I know some people just think we are plain weird, and there is a stigma especially with the socialization issue.

My dad thought I was crazy for starting at the beginning, after I taught in a private school, and was not impressed with it or the pressure to put my small children in it after they were in daycare while I taught.

On the way home from having our 3rd child in the hospital, we had to stop and pick up our kids at my parent's house.... my dad had ordered HOP and HOM for me to "try" and I did use them for awhile, but I know he was just trying to help and make sure his little angels got off to a good start.

He eventually told me that he supported our decision, and it was a blessing to have him come visit, take us on some picnics, out to eat, or just fly kites and eat outside with us so many days, especially after he was diagnosed with CLL and died December 2010.

The first question we get when we all go somewhere together in public is : are they all yours?

And a repair man one day asked his assistant: Is she running a daycare?

My old math teacher asked me WHY I was home schooling: I told her I wanted to teach the Bible and choose my curriculum!

2 Nice ladies in a thrift store had a long conversation with me about home schooling... they thought it was a wonderful option: but both had misconceptions: 1 told me I should use the same Textbooks as the public school! I just let that roll off! They did not mean any harm and had tons of questions.

My first mentor in MOPS had 7 children, home schooled, and was a preacher's wife. She had a teaching degree and told me it did not help her to home school, but she encouraged me to get mine for protection: Just in case: I was a Biology major and never have gotten a Teaching Certificate. It would take entirely too much time: I checked.

I read books on Classical home schooling every year, Watch videos, attend conferences, and buy DVD's and software as well as ask for help.