Menu

Poll: Americans *only*, have you been outside of the country?

If you are an American, have you ever traveled outside of the US?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. If you are an American, have you ever traveled outside of the US?

• Nope, never.
    • Yes, one country.
    • Yes, two countries.
    • Yes, three countries.
    • Yes, four countries.
    • Yes, five countries.
    • Yes, six countries.
    • Yes, seven countries.
    • Yes, eight or more countries.
    • Other.

Five: Taiwan (China), Mexico, Canada, Ireland, Singapore. I didn't count the Virgin Islands, since I was thinking they are U.S. territories, but a couple of the Islands might have been French...so actually maybe 6 countries. oh, I forgot I was stranded in Japan for a day. Didn't sight-see though, so I won't count it.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did a backpacking trip in (mostly) Eastern Europe with DW, that got me 6 countries, lol. I've been to Canada many times (grew up on the border). I've also been to China. And a couple places in the Caribbean. I don't remember exactly where, it was a cruise with my parents while I was still a kid.

Slovakia is one of mine, as well. :001_smile:

We were living in Switzerland and did a bike tour from Prague to Vienna along the Vltava ... the plan was to go to Slovakia from Vienna, but we were tired and just drove back to Switzerland, thinking we'd be back ... and still haven't made it. One of my regrets. One of these days!! :001_smile:

Korea, Japan, Canada, England, France, Italy, Germany, Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, Austria, Hungary (while Communist), Poland (same), Czech Republic (1994), Liechtenstein, Vatican City:D ... uh, I *think* that's it. Many, many places I still want to see!!!!!

Edited by Laura in CA

I have visited the British Virgin Islands, Canada, Cyprus, France, Germany, India, Indonesia, Italy, Korea, Mexico, Mozambique, Netherlands, Portugal, Singapore, South Africa, Thailand, Turkey, UK, and Zimbabwe. I've lived in 6 of them for between a few months and two years.

Don't think it counts, but we stepped off the train in Belgium just to say we'd been. :) If being outside for an extended time at a point of transit counted, we could include the Cape Verde Islands, Hong Kong, Kenya, and Malawi as well. :)

Obviously, it's cheaper when someone else is paying, so I haven't been anywhere outside the US in over 10 years now. *sigh* Unfortunately, my wanderlust hasn't abated much.

I have been to 7 or 8 but really, off my own bat, only 2. The rest were company-paid business trips and were wonderful experiences of what it is like to be a person who would work for my company in other parts of the world. I saw a lot of home life and so on, but it was also somewhat circumscribed and not at ALL my own cash.

But, that was part of my point. Lots of people travel outside of the US for work, missions, etc. Those people are not usually trust-fund babies or independently wealthy.

I haven't but my husband has and all but once it was due to his Navy career.

As a teen he went to Russia (back when it was still officially the USSR)

He's also been to Singapore, the saychelles, Egypt, Bahrain/UAE, Greece, Italy, Germany, France, England, Spain, Ecuador, Colombia, Guatemala, Panama and I'm sure others I've forgotten.

I did Semester at Sea when I was in college, so visited:

Fiji

New Guinea

Bali

Sri Lanka

Seychelles

Kenya

South Africa

Sierra Leone

Senegal

In addition have been to:

Japan

Panama

Canada

All of these were before I was 22 years old. I haven't been out of the country in 30 years.

I've spent a few weeks in England and sweet, dear Finland respectively, and a shorter time in the Netherlands.

I hate to fly, so I'm not sure when I will go again....I love travel but the flight phobia is a fierce beast.

Mexico, Spain, Canada, and Morocco. The older three kids have been to Spain. All of our vacations since our honeymoon have been to visit family. We took the kids to Spain while Ds and BIL were living there. We want to travel more when the kids are old enough to remember more.

Just two here: Iceland and Mexico. So far I don't believe anybody else has said Iceland. It was beautiful.

Iceland is next on our list! Dh has always wanted to go, and it *seems* like a not-that-long flight.....;) we would love to visit there. Lucky you!

Many European countries (Germany, Netherlands, Luxembourg, Denmark, Italy, France, Lichtenstein, Austria, Switzerland)

China (and Hong Kong before it went back to China), Japan, and Okinawa (technically Japan but still its own island)

Edited by Debbie in OR
Added countries I had forgotten about

Definitions are needed:

What does Hong Kong count as?

How about Northern Cyprus?

Is the UK one nation or 4 countries?

Is Canada simply a collection of future US States? (smile)

What is the status of colonies?

Is French Guyana France? (legally it is)

How long need be spent in a nation before it can be counted? 24 hrs? Leaving the airport?

If one was in a country before it splt up can one count that as two or more nations?

Do East and West Germany count as two if visited before the reunification?

Edited by pqr

Australia, New Zealand, Fiji, Tonga, Japan, Mexico, Canada, all of the British Isles, France, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Greece, Yugoslavia, Austria, Germany, Switzerland, Luxembourg, Liechtenstein, Belgium, Holland, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, and Vatican City. All before the age of 14, and all reached by ship.

Since 14: England, Germany, France, Canada.

I'll probably never get anywhere but Canada, perhaps, again. :sad:

Canada, Mexico, Belize, Iceland, UK, Portugal, Spain, France, Germany, Luxembourg, Monaco, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Austria, Switzerland, Netherlands, Belgium...

I've been less than a mile from Liechtenstein, and had a view from it from our window, but didn't cross the river to enter. :)

ETA: Forgot Ireland

Edited by matroyshka

I've done some traveling.

Nicaragua - I tagged along with DH on a business trip for two weeks

Mexico - We walked across the border into Tijuana

Singapore - We spent about four days here on the way to Indonesia

Indonesia - I've been twice for about 10 days each trip (DH commuted there for 10 years)

I've also landed in Hong Kong and Seoul and spent time in both airports but didn't actually leave the buildings.

I've spent more than a few hours in Canada, China, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Egypt, Israel, and Jordan. If you count Palestine as a separate place, I've lived there too. I've been at the border or in the airport in Mexico, the UK, Ireland, France, Turkey, Saudi Arabia, Germany, Syria, Lebanon, and Russia. This list is tiny in comparison to the list of all the places I want to go.

So according to the WTM world the current count is about 94% of WTM have traveled to a foreign country and about 6% have not.

My list is: Canada, Mexico, England, Wales, Ireland, Holland, Belgium, Germany, France, Austria, Italy, Puerto Rico, Grand Cayman, Jamaica, Bahamas, Martinque, and Aruba. And our airplane stopping in Iceland maybe doesn't count.