Menu

Poll: Americans *only*, have you been outside of the country?

If you are an American, have you ever traveled outside of the US?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. If you are an American, have you ever traveled outside of the US?

• Nope, never.
    • Yes, one country.
    • Yes, two countries.
    • Yes, three countries.
    • Yes, four countries.
    • Yes, five countries.
    • Yes, six countries.
    • Yes, seven countries.
    • Yes, eight or more countries.
    • Other.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I grew up in HI and have been told it's a nice country . . . ;)

But seriously, I voted 7: I've been to England, France, Spain, Canada, Germany, Austria, Belgium.

Dh has been to Canada, Mexico, England, Iceland, Turkey, Kenya, Saudi Arabia, Germany, Austria, Bosnia, and probably a couple other places I can't recall, so 8+. (My vote only reflects my experience, not his.)

England, Wales, Scotland, Ireland, Belgium. I voted 5, but it should have been six. I forgot to count Nassau. Also, I didn't know if I should count St. Thomas and Puerto Rico since they are sort of part of the U.S.

I would love, love, love to go to Canada, but not in winter. This Floridian hates cold weather.

I have been to 33 so far, including the US. My youngest has been in 29, my middle in 31, my oldest in a lot less but I am not sure how many less. My husband has been in more since he travels to foreign countries for his job (US Air Force) but he hasn't been in a few that I have been in - Ireland and Iceland.

I've been to:

Canada, England, Norway, France, Switzerland, Austria, Italy, Monaco, Belgium, Guatemala, Mexico and China. If counting stops/layovers I could add Japan and Germany.

We hope to do lots of traveling (including within the US) with the kids. My kids have had passports since they were babies and we always keep them current.

Only Canada and Mexico and we just went as far as Tijuana in Mexico. I've been to Canada three times. Well, twice was through it from the Alaska/ Canada border to the Washington border and back again. This was before 9/11 and travel to Mexico and Canada didn't require a passport.

I know I am going to forget some, but we traveled a lot before having kids.

Costa Rica

Bahamas

Grand Cayman

Mexico

Barbados

Antigua

St. Lucia

Puerto Rico (technically part of the US)

Dominican Republic

British Virgin Islands

Jamaica

Belize

Honduras

England

Germany

Austria

Poland

Czech Republic

Slovakia

Slovenia

Croatia

Hungary

Singapore

Bali (Indonesia)

China

Philippines

Somehow, I have never been to Canada.

Edited by kristinannie

I was able to go backpacking through Europe two different summers in my college years. I included Czechoslovakia (this is 1986, still a communist country) where my girlfriend and I were locked up for a night on our way to Poland.:D And, I've gone sailing around the Caribbean on a couple of trips, my father is the sailor. My mother is Canadian, so I've been there a few times. And, I did a school trip in high school to Mexico. (What a joke that was, I will never let my kids go on a group, barely chaperoned trip!) Then, after college, I worked in the jewelry/emerald industry and traveled to Colombia, as we had an office there. But, now after kids, and not working, (interpret to mean no money), I haven't traveled anywhere. My dh and I haven't been on vacation for 8 years. We are thinking of going to Virginia this summer for family vacation, as we have family there to stay with. :tongue_smilie:

Hopefully, some day I'll be able to travel again. I would love to do an RVing trip around the US.

I hate answering other!! But I had to say other because the answer is Yes and No. I've been to either 2 or 3 places owned by other countries when I was on a cruise. We would get off the boat to lay on the beach or shop for an hour and then we got right back onto the boat. I thought of the cruise as the big thing, not the fact that I was outside the U.S. by a bit. Actually, I have no desire to travel to another country. I'm not being rude. I just have no 'travel genes'. Vacation is going to visit my IL's several states away. And even that pushes my comfort zone. I am so NOT a tourist.

Germany, Austria, Italy, Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Switzerland, France, Hungary, and Brazil. I did a study abroad in Europe in college, was sponsored by the German government to visit Germany when I was 16, and went of a research trip to the Amazon my last semester of college, then returned to Brazil when my husband presented at a research conference.

ETA: we also went to the Bahamas on a cruise.

I'm curious about how many of these have traveled outside the country due to being in the military.

I was raised military and used to lament that that NEVER let us go out of the country. Most of my friends had done at least one overseas tour, but we never really left the East coast. we moved a lot, but a significant part of it was bouncing back and forth between Charleston, Newport and Norfolk.

I accidentally voted "No never" I should've voted one.

Same here, but I'd only been to Jamaica and the Bahamas, and I grew up in Florida where islanders of all kinds (Cuba, Haiti, Jamaica, Bahamas, Trinidad and Tobago, etc, etc) outnumber mainlanders in some areas. Southeast Florida often seems like a country of its own compared with the rest of the US.

Shoot! I voted 5 but just realized it was 7. Cool :) I would love to make it more!

Edited: after reading some others I realized I also forgot 2 brief visits to 2 other countries. I guess I've been to 9 other countries. Uh oh, this is really stirring up my currently dormant travel bug. :) lol

Edited by PinkInTheBlue

Not since having kids...

It began with the 3 week whirlwind tour of Europe after college graduation, which covered 8+ countries. Work brought me to Germany, England, and France several times. I had two trips to Africa - Morocco then Kenya & Tanzania.

I had grand fantasies of doing Grand Tours with the kids, but haven't needed to renew my passport yet...

If you are an American, have you ever traveled outside of the US?

eta: We lived in Germany for 5 years, and we traveled a lot. I've been to 14(?) countries other than the US, if I'm remembering them all. e(again)ta: FWIW, I did not count Hawaii. ;)

I've been to Canada, Mexico, Sweden, France, Italy, Scotland, England, Spain, Ukraine, Poland, Hong Kong, China (mainland), Singapore, and Thailand.

We're not military, but we like to vacation. :D The Asian countries were visited when we spent a year living in Hong Kong back in 2007. My wish list includes New Zealand, more of Europe, and an African safari.