Menu

What temp. do you keep your house?

What temp. do you keep your thermostat?  

1. 1. What temp. do you keep your thermostat?

• less than 64 degrees....we could hang meat in here
    • 65-67 degrees
    • 68-70 degrees
    • 71-73 degrees
    • 74-76 degrees
    • 77+ .....just sweatin' out the impurities
    • we have separate daytime/nighttime temps.
    • we try to conserve energy & are cool in winter, warm in summer

Normally we do 64 daytime and 55 night. However when we have sick people in the house we usually up it to 68 daytime/62 night because my ability to deal with cold is gone when I am sick. We've been sick almost continuously since Christmas. So, yeah, this year it's been 68/62. Thankfully it has also been warm outside, so we haven't had to pay too much more for our heat.

Obviously we also have different day and night temperatures, and we keep it cool in winter and warm in summer. We don't have central air, but we have a window unit in our bedroom. We turn it on when it is about 80 at bed or nap time. This is not very common (especially at bedtime) where I live.

ETA: And I'm not sure I could visit friends who kept their houses at 75+ in winter! I find my body adjusts to the cooler temps and I start getting sweaty around 72 and downright uncomfortable by 75. My DD is the same. My boys do seem to run cooler, though. They wear babylegs and long sleeved onesies with everything. :-D

Edited by AdventureMoms

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We live where it gets cold in winter and hot in summer.

Our daytime winter temps are 63 degrees downstairs and 58 upstairs.

Our daytime summer temps? However hot it gets -- But we also have a couple of window air conditioners for the bedrooms (so we can sleep even if it's hot at night).

In my perfect world my house would be 72 degrees am and pm and winter and summer. Alas, we cannot afford my dreams.

During the winter, we keep the thermostat around 68 in the day and 62 or so at night.

That said, it's usually warmer in here during the day because we have a wood stove in one room and a gas stove in another, which pretty much keep the main heat from coming on at all during the day. The upstairs just gets circulated heat, but who cares, as we're not up there.

In the summer it's moot - no air conditioning. Window fans as needed, and escape to the library or other public air conditioned space when it's really sweltering.

When I am in control of the temperature in the house, I usually keep it at 60-64 degrees. 60 is fine in a dry climate, but in a cold, wet climate I kept it at 64. It's always off at night.

I don't control the temperature in our apartment here, and I don't like it because it's much too hot. I have the windows open all winter. The coldest it has gotten (and I did close the windows then) was 67 after the high temperature outside didn't get above 0 for a week. 74 is normal, even with the windows open.

It bugs me that the apartments here are so hot because most people in the country live in coal-heated houses and 60 degrees is normal. Everyone wears coats inside. I'd love to share some of the heat in my apartment with someone who's barely able to afford the coal to keep their house 15 degrees colder.

I haven't had an A/C in a long time, but when we do, I usually keep it around 75, although I'd love to have it lower. But after a number of no-A/C summers, 75 sounds lovely.

Gosh, we must be semi hardcore ;) We keep ours set at 62 all day and night. But really I wouldn't say that we are ever really cold. If we were cold I would turn it up, I am not mean like that ;)

We do not use a/c in the summer at all. Just windows wide open! I would rather spend our money on all kinds of other things than energy bills. I think it is ridiculous when people have sweatshirts on in their homes in the summer and tank tops on in the winter.

We set ours at 69 during the day, and 68 at night. In our old house, we were 68 during the day, and 67 at night because the house wasn't well insulated and the heat ran all the time in winter, drying out our skin. Our new house is concrete and naturally insulating, so we've increased the temp a degree because the heat doesn't run so often. My "winter" skin is the best it has been in years.

ETA: Our upstairs is often 72 in winter, and the heater pretty much NEVER runs up there. I guess all the warm downstairs air rises. But we don't have any bedrooms upstairs, other than a guest room. Just the school room and my DH's office. I hang out up there when I get cold downstairs.

Edited by Serenade

You do realize that heat rises, and it would be more efficient to set the lower level to 67 and let that help heat the upstairs? :D I think you keep it at 58 just so those people won't come visit! :lol:

In the winter ours is kept at/near 70 round the clock. In the summer we keep it between 76-78.

The thermostat is set for 65. I think we could get away with setting it down to 60 at night now that we've gotten used to it.

ETA: I didn't see the last one either. In the spring/summer, we inch the air up. Some years we get it as high as 80 or 83. Last year, with so many hot flashes, I didn't make it above 76 and regularly knocked it to 70 or 72. Our home is pretty energy efficient (extra insulation and a radiant barrier) so it wasn't bad. We had our lowest electric bills last summer in this house.

Edited by 2J5M9K

My house does stay reasonably warm. I like the fall and spring months when I can have the windows open much of the time and it stays a pleasant temperature. in the northwest- that's saying something. last summer was pretty cool, so the AC was hardly used.

Gosh, we must be semi hardcore ;) We keep ours set at 62 all day and night. But really I wouldn't say that we are ever really cold. If we were cold I would turn it up, I am not mean like that ;)

We do not use a/c in the summer at all. Just windows wide open! I would rather spend our money on all kinds of other things than energy bills. I think it is ridiculous when people have sweatshirts on in their homes in the summer and tank tops on in the winter.

I think a lot is dependent on the type of house and people. I voted/replied that ours is usually on 75 (winter and summer), but our electric bill is usually only $70/month. We're comfortable, dress normally, and our bill isn't crazy.

In the winter, I keep our thermostat at 58, but we use a wood stove so the house is usually about 85+.

In the warm months when we cool the house, we have air conditioning and an evaporative cooler. We only use the evaporate cooler because it's so affordable. I keep the tstat as low as it will go. The evaporate cooler will keep the house about 20 degrees cooler outside.

68-69 usually. We live in the PNW so we have a damp winter. If I am cleaning the house and moving around a lot, I will drop it a few degrees. If I am tired, I get cold easily, and will bump it up to 70-rarely 71. We have blankets in the livingroom and try to use them if we are a bit cool before we turn up the heat. Our heat bill is around $150/mth. I think we would drop the temp in the house before we would pay over $200.

We keep it at 15 degrees C (59 degrees F). We have a small wood-burning stove in the sitting room, however, which heats that room and the playroom. The thermostat is in the back of the house, so it keeps the bedrooms at the cooler temperature.

We all wear sweaters, wool socks and slippers in the house, and often sit with a blanket on. I like that snuggly feeling in winter.

We don't have air conditioning, but we rarely have very hot days and it takes the house a long time to warm up.

Laura

Edited by Laura Corin

LOL I don't know why 77+ plus would be considered sweating out the impurities :p but I keep my AC set to 80. That is comfortable to me (no sweat). Anything below 78 and I feel cold.

I like to wear layers in winter - it feels comfortable and appropriate. At 80 I wouldn't be able to wear my wool socks and my cosy sweater.

ETA: I just looked up the temperature in Orlando in the next few days. At those temperatures (common in summer here) I'd have a sweater to hand and no heating.

Laura

Edited by Laura Corin

I'm not sure the temp because the temp on the thermostat is not accurate. I live in an apartment style condo with heated garages below us and neighbors around us and above us. I only need to turn the heat on when it is really really cold and it stays warm enough for us because of the heat from other units. I try to acclimate to the weather and we dress for the season. When I do turn the heat on I just turn it just enough for the thermostat to click on. I am not sure what the temperature is. The only time I turn it up is during showings. I am sure some people will think it is cold but it isn't to me. You can acclimate to cooler temps. We don't need air in the summer here but when I lived in California we only turned it on a handful of times. I do it to use less energy for environmental reasons and to save money but it also helps to adjust better to the weather conditions.

Edited by MistyMountain

I like to wear layers in winter - it feels comfortable and appropriate. At 80 I wouldn't be able to wear my wool socks and my cosy sweater.

ETA: I just looked up the temperature in Orlando in the next few days. At those temperatures (common in summer here) I'd have a sweater to hand and no heating.

Laura

Ah yes that would make sense. I live in cotton shorts, jeans or t-shirts or other type light fabric short sleeved tops. I don't own anything wool at all. I don't even know if you can get wool here. But I can see how if a person were accustomed to wearing sweaters and woolen clothing and came down here they most certainly would be sweating even with our current balmy temps. I just looked up my current temperature for where I live. Right now at 2:38am it is 70 degrees. It actually feels really nice outside. A little cold, but not too cold.

Ah yes that would make sense. I live in cotton shorts, jeans or t-shirts or other type light fabric short sleeved tops.

In Hong Kong I dressed as you do, but had slightly warmer clothes for winter. I actually owned a coat, which I wore once or twice a year.

I avoided using air conditioning: I just don't like it - I used open windows and cold showers. In winter I would put on jeans and a sweater. I don't think we owned a heater but we ran dehumidifiers whenever the windows were closed.

I'm aware these days of the cost of heating, so we insulate the house and invest in warm clothes.

Laura

In Hong Kong I dressed as you do, but had slightly warmer clothes for winter. I actually owned a coat, which I wore once or twice a year.

I avoided using air conditioning: I just don't like it - I used open windows and cold showers. In winter I would put on jeans and a sweater. I don't think we owned a heater but we ran dehumidifiers whenever the windows were closed.

I'm aware these days of the cost of heating, so we insulate the house and invest in warm clothes.

Laura

:) That sounds like me. I have a coat, but never have to use it. I usually can get away with a hoodie in the winter time. We have central air conditioning and heating so if a cold front comes through we may turn the heater on once just to warm the house up and then turn it off and that's typically enough. Once the sun comes up it warms up pretty quick.

We keep it at 64, but that option isn't in the poll. :001_smile:

ETA: We don't have air conditioning.

Edited by nmoira

We have our heating on in Dec-Feb unless it's particularly cold early or late in the season. Usually the thermostat is set at mid 60s but we do turn it off at night. It varies a bit becase it's very damp here and makes it feel colder than it is. Our heating is electricaire and the hot core stops the house getting freezing even if we don't actually turn the air part on. There is a low background level of heat all the time when the core is charged which is very pleasant because house doesn't feel like it's heated but it stops the temperature plummeting mid afternoon.

Edited by lailasmum

We set it to about 68 during the day - old thermostat so not completely accurate and about 62 at night. The lower level is typically 5 degrees cooler though so right now the kids don't play down there all that much as it's typically low 60s until mid-afternoon.

We usually cool to about 78 in the summer but this will be our first summer in this place so I can't say for sure yet as we don't know how it cools. I want the kids to be able to actually play downstairs so we may cool it lower if needed.

I NEED blankets so it has to be cooler at night or I'm super uncomfortable. DS seems to feel the need for blankets too and won't uncover himself if he gets too warm.

74-76. Providing adequate food and shelter for the kids: the shelter part to us includes comfortable temps. Shivering in layers and blankets for months isn't for us! In other words we could skip meals or make the kids have lower body weight to save money, too, but of course wouldn't - and we equate adequate shelter/temps to proper meals. Your definition of adequate of course may vary based on diff biology.