Menu

Article-Students lose vital skills in home school

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I give that as much credibility as the PS teacher I know who stopped me at Walmart to tell me all about the evils of HSing "not that you are negligent, just MOST of the home schoolers". :tongue_smilie: We home schoolers are also lazy and don't want to take the time to get the kids to school in case you were wondering. :lol:

The comments are standard for that type of article. poke, poke back. Really they should just reprint a standard article like that every few months, then reprint the same comments. Then people could devote their time to something else, really.

And, yes, we are always the exception homeschoolers. Homeschoolers are weird, but NOT you, you're not like that. Said in a sickening sweet voice.

Little do they know we were always weird, homeschooling didn't change that. :lol::lol::lol:

(going to get some more caffeine now) - I'm going to take my here high school diploma and do some learnin' with ma-boy. Ima thinking we'll be startin' wid sum Latin today. (I hate insomnia)

I give that as much credibility as the PS teacher I know who stopped me at Walmart to tell me all about the evils of HSing "not that you are negligent, just MOST of the home schoolers". :tongue_smilie: We home schoolers are also lazy and don't want to take the time to get the kids to school in case you were wondering. :lol:

Well.... I do homeschool in part because I don't want to have to reteach things, tutor after school, or deal with school-mandated buzy work and school politics. :tongue_smilie:

Edited by Veritaserum

That's a dopey student article in a student newspaper. Not worth reading.

Yes. Although it is amusing when an education student or new teacher gets on a soap box about homeschooling. It's such a tiny population compared to the public or private schools. They should focus their time, energy, and resources on the students who they will be responsible for.

I bet the comments are just a treat.

Note the writer is a graduate education student - it's in her best interest to put down homeschooling for her job security!

There is nothing like the newly initiated, all knowing, brand new education major. :lol:

I could tell you stories about my bil. He just graduated with his BA in math education. Oh, how many times has he said to me, "The majority of home schooled kids are so messed up in math. Not your kids, of course, you do a good job, but most home school parents just screw up their kids."

Used to annoy me. Now I just laugh.

Children who have grown up in the home-school system often lack many of the social skills required of them in the workplace. They often only socialize with others within their socio-economic status and are unprepared to deal with their college roommates, cubicle neighbors and even bosses. Without learning diversity, every single day they are being denied the skills necessary to deal with different lifestyles or beliefs that others may hold.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What rubbish! I would think keeping children segregated by age/grade and community (school district) is more likely to stifle social development. And please be consistent in writing by choosing either home school or home-school.

Children who have grown up in the home-school system often lack many of the social skills required of them in the workplace. They often only socialize with others within their socio-economic status and are unprepared to deal with their college roommates, cubicle neighbors and even bosses. Without learning diversity, every single day they are being denied the skills necessary to deal with different lifestyles or beliefs that others may hold.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What rubbish! I would think keeping children segregated by age/grade and community (school district) is more likely to stifle social development. And please be consistent in writing by choosing either home school or home-school.

Yeah the often lose their skills like: gossiping, bullying and judgement based on how expensive a pair of jeans so and so is wearing. The socialization argument is one I hate

Some of the pro-homeschool comments made me cringe. One commenter stated that 25 million students are being homeschooled in the US. That's just not possible. I couldn't find any current statistics in a quick search, but 10 years ago HSLDA claimed there were only about 2 million. And there are only about 60 million school-age children in the US today! I don't think 40% of them are homeschooled.

This comment cracked me up - he was only hsed for 2 years and he was ruined socially? Wow! :lol:

"Having been homeschooled, I have to agree with you. You, of all people, can attest to my stunning lack of social skills, and I like to blame a lot of that on homeschooling. I've seen similar issues, with some variation, in friends and acquaintances who were homeschooled as well. Luckily, I only did it for two years when I was wee."

:iagree:

What kind of jibberish disguised as news was that?

That graduate student needs to go back to school and learn how to back up her claims with facts.

I certainly feel for any future students that get stuck with her. Maybe she will be okay once she grows up a little bit and learns to think for herself.

I'm giggling over here.

I read the article aloud to both Wolf and Diva.

I don't know whose more ticked off by the article, him or her! :lol:

Diva started listing off the ppl she is friends w/who are of a different socioeconomic background, different culture, religion...

I said to her, apparently you're not allowed to hang out w/ppl that aren't *exactly* like us...nobody of a different skin colour even!

Then I looked at Wolf and said, "Whoops...you're going to have to move out so we can preserve our insulated 'nobody-exactly-like-us' homeschool standard." :lol:

It's not an article; it's an editorial ("viewpoint.") Sources are optional, though they would help her case immensely. :001_smile:

Anyone want to help correct the grammar in her piece and email it to her paper?

Can't. Too busy ruining my children's education because, while I do have a MFA, it's not in Education. I am so screwing them up........:lol:

LOL, I quoted that very paragraph in my response to her. And, I didn't say this in the comment to her, but my cubicle neighbor has the WORST social skills at work and she was definitely educated in a public school.

From her opinion piece:

It's difficult to standardize something we can't properly keep tabs on.

She refers to homeschoolers with this but having had many conversations with the Chinese and Hindi K teachers next door in our apt building who would have been my K'ers teachers had we put him in our zoned elementary school, this also applies to public school. Too funny.

And she evidently hasn't dealt with a roommate, life in Cubeland, and a manipulative, vindictive boss. She's young. She'll get socialized eventually.

As a public educator my biggest complaint is the following: Homeschooling parents are turning their back on a system that is obviously broken to give their child what they deem to be the best education (regardless if we agree or not nobody would homeschool their child to give them a worse education). I, distinctively remember as a child that in my many classes throughout school their were only a handful of parents that had the time and/or resources to devote to improving the school. The parents that are capable of doing so are now focusing on their own kids (not denying their right to do so) but because of it educators and children less fortunate are suffering at the hands of constant testing, no funding, overcrowded classrooms and now absolutely no parental support because there are no more parents.

I taught 5 classes today of 8th graders with over 35 kids in each--two of them had more than 40 students. Most of them go to jobs after school or take care of siblings--I am their support system and I cherish the few parents I have to help-if they turned their back on my school we would drown.

I respect the freedom we have given parents to choose what is best for their child but your child will grow up to interact with the 40 that I taught by myself without your help--if you want to fix the broken system then stand up and do something. You can do that while teaching your own child just don't turn your back on the educators that want to fix what is broken.

This kind of comment always boggles my brain.

So, we have the right to pull our kids, but we still owe public education our time and energy? :confused:

I think we all need to take a good long, hard look at that article. Then we need to reflect on the writing skills of our children. After that, we should all head to the post office and send SWB a huge box of Godiva chocolates for helping ensure that our children don't embarrass us with such horrendous writing as this. The girl's writing teacher needs to be shot.

I seriously couldn't finish reading the "article" (henceforth known as big pile of BS). I could literally feel my bp rising. I typed several different replies before deleting them. I didn't think my responses would make it through their "bad word " filters.

I have only read about people like this. I am surrounded by HSchool supportive people, in fact everyone I know either HS's their children or wishes they could. Living in such a wonderful bubble I forget that there are people who think I'm an idiot unable to teach my child the simplest of skills. This future "educator" of America is one of the many reasons I HSchool.

In order to be licensed for instruction, public school teachers are required to have at least a bachelor's degree, sufficient course background in each subject they are to teach and time spent as an instructor under an experienced teacher. As someone who has gone through it before, I can tell you that it's a grueling process.

I literally LOLed at the thought of an education degree as "grueling."

I respect the freedom we have given parents to choose what is best for their child but your child will grow up to interact with the 40 that I taught by myself without your help--if you want to fix the broken system then stand up and do something. You can do that while teaching your own child just don't turn your back on the educators that want to fix what is broken.

It doesn't boggle mine. We humans are societal creatures. We will sink or swim together. Every time I see some Jerry Springer-like show, I worry about our national security. Someone somewhere else is watching this and thinking we are a nation of idiots. Easy targets.

Similarly, I don't think my happy, insular life is 100% self-contained. I have to live with other people or some other people will eventually over run us. Look at history. So, I DO have a stake in other's kids. A big stake.

I prefer to try to do my bit by "adopting" a struggling family. This is easy for me at work. I work with plenty of fairly young grandmas whose teen had a baby and now the baby is 5 and there are "problems" cropping up. Mom and dad are only associating for the sake of the kid. Kid lives with mom until she is too frustrated and unhappy, and then with one grandma or the other, and dad lives with his mom -- the grandma, and so on and so on with soap-opera-like lives. The grandmas are trying to do something to help these little innocents. I have a couple I give books and clothes to, that I recommend non-twaddle to, I loan good vids to, I tell about field trips and what's at the zoo and generally bolster these full-time working grandmas on enriching these little innocent's lives by helping the kids see there is more to life than text-fights between your 21 year old mother and father.

I seriously couldn't finish reading the "article" (henceforth known as big pile of BS). I could literally feel my bp rising. I typed several different replies before deleting them. I didn't think my responses would make it through their "bad word " filters.

I have only read about people like this. I am surrounded by HSchool supportive people, in fact everyone I know either HS's their children or wishes they could. Living in such a wonderful bubble I forget that there are people who think I'm an idiot unable to teach my child the simplest of skills. This future "educator" of America is one of the many reasons I HSchool.

You know, I can tolerate people who don't love homeschooling. I can tolerate people who think it's a terrible idea. What bothered me is the complete lack of a logically constructed arguement. The irony of such a piece of cr*p criticizing some of the most successful educators in the country just about did me in. Disagree with homeschooling all you want but, for the love of all that is academic, could they please just give me a decent arguement and not insult me with tripe?? Is it really that hard???

As a public educator my biggest complaint is the following: Homeschooling parents are turning their back on a system that is obviously broken to give their child what they deem to be the best education (regardless if we agree or not nobody would homeschool their child to give them a worse education). I, distinctively remember as a child that in my many classes throughout school their were only a handful of parents that had the time and/or resources to devote to improving the school. The parents that are capable of doing so are now focusing on their own kids (not denying their right to do so) but because of it educators and children less fortunate are suffering at the hands of constant testing, no funding, overcrowded classrooms and now absolutely no parental support because there are no more parents.

I taught 5 classes today of 8th graders with over 35 kids in each--two of them had more than 40 students. Most of them go to jobs after school or take care of siblings--I am their support system and I cherish the few parents I have to help-if they turned their back on my school we would drown.

So, we have the right to pull our kids, but we still owe public education our time and energy? :confused:

This is one of my soapboxes. I would love nothing more than to be actively involved in our public school. I attended PTA meetings and raised my hand and signed every sheet I could to help out. I received not one phone call. Schools do not want parents involved. (Or at least, our school system does not want parents). I offered to read to students and help those who were struggling in learning to read, it was turned down for confidentiality reasons. I suggested that they utilize parents to help in the office and library, carpool and even helping watch kids in the lunchroom to give teachers extra time for planning, etc. I offered to organize a fundraiser to purchase needed items for special ed. All of it turned down.

Meanwhile, DD10 was finishing her work early and holding 'groups' comprised of three students for tutoring. She also worked 1 on 1 with a student with dyslexia (not that she had any training or insight into helping students with dyslexia). When I asked if she could do less peer help and more study (even if she was assigned independent studies), I was told that she was needed to help other students because classes are so large.

I'm sorry that classes are big and schools are underfunded. But, it's not my place to fix that problem.

It doesn't boggle mine. We humans are societal creatures. We will sink or swim together. Every time I see some Jerry Springer-like show, I worry about our national security. Someone somewhere else is watching this and thinking we are a nation of idiots. Easy targets.

Similarly, I don't think my happy, insular life is 100% self-contained. I have to live with other people or some other people will eventually over run us. Look at history. So, I DO have a stake in other's kids. A big stake.

I prefer to try to do my bit by "adopting" a struggling family. This is easy for me at work. I work with plenty of fairly young grandmas whose teen had a baby and now the baby is 5 and there are "problems" cropping up. Mom and dad are only associating for the sake of the kid. Kid lives with mom until she is too frustrated and unhappy, and then with one grandma or the other, and dad lives with his mom -- the grandma, and so on and so on with soap-opera-like lives. The grandmas are trying to do something to help these little innocents. I have a couple I give books and clothes to, that I recommend non-twaddle to, I loan good vids to, I tell about field trips and what's at the zoo and generally bolster these full-time working grandmas on enriching these little innocent's lives by helping the kids see there is more to life than text-fights between your 21 year old mother and father.

I guess what boggles me is the feeling I got reading the comment of, "well, we can't *stop* you from pulling your kid out, it's your right, but you still owe us...the system is broken, you owe us to fix it"

Uh, I've never bought the idea that I owe my kids to anyone. The system is broken, no doubt...but the way to fix it isn't something a handful of parents can manage. It's a government run issue, and the solution is with the government.

So many hs'd parents *have* tried to fix things, only to realize that pulling their child out is the only real, concrete option they have.

The system isn't interested in being fixed. Too many have a vested interest in things staying just as they are. Fixing the system would likely mean that administrators take a pay cut, etc. Can't have that.

This is one of my soapboxes. I would love nothing more than to be actively involved in our public school. I attended PTA meetings and raised my hand and signed every sheet I could to help out. I received not one phone call. Schools do not want parents involved. (Or at least, our school system does not want parents). I offered to read to students and help those who were struggling in learning to read, it was turned down for confidentiality reasons. I suggested that they utilize parents to help in the office and library, carpool and even helping watch kids in the lunchroom to give teachers extra time for planning, etc. I offered to organize a fundraiser to purchase needed items for special ed. All of it turned down.

Meanwhile, DD10 was finishing her work early and holding 'groups' comprised of three students for tutoring. She also worked 1 on 1 with a student with dyslexia (not that she had any training or insight into helping students with dyslexia). When I asked if she could do less peer help and more study (even if she was assigned independent studies), I was told that she was needed to help other students because classes are so large.

I'm sorry that classes are big and schools are underfunded. But, it's not my place to fix that problem.

I don't think schools are underfunded. I think the funds are mismanaged and allocated poorly.