Menu

Feeling a bit overwhelmed - my niece just named her baby boy after my son...

You guys are great! I came back here to read and I feel like I have been hugged. My niece did ask us before she chose his name and we gave her our blessing. It was very hard for me when my nephew had his baby girl last year too. My nephew is the same age as my son would be. I had to wait a few months to go see the baby because I just didn't want my sadness to overshadow any joy the baby brought. My nephew's wife was so sweet and understanding. I am very blessed to have an amazing family. I think that every time a new baby comes it is going to be hard for me for quite some time. And then realizing he is named for my Timmy - I feel pride and sadness. It is a very strange mix of emotions. I just can't put these feelings out for my family because I don't want to my niece to ever think she did the wrong thing. She did it with nothing but love and I know that. Thank you all for being here. You all are just amazing.

My niece just had her second baby boy today. She named him Owen Timothy for my son. I am thrilled that she did. At the same time it just hurts so much that anyone is naming their baby "after my son". I don't know why I am posting here. I guess because she doesn't come here and I just don't want her to think for a minute that I am not beyond happy they chose this. I am so honored they did. I just am having a really hard time knowing I won't ever have grandkids from my son. Thanks for listening.

:grouphug:

Praying for you.

It would have to be painful to hear that and certainly nothing will ever replace your son. In a way, by naming her baby after your son she has given you the gift of honoring him now and enjoying your son in the future. Little Owen is going to want to hear stories about the Owen he was named for over and over, and your son obviously was someone your niece wanted her newborn to emulate. It's painful now and you have my prayer :grouphug:

:grouphug::grouphug: I can't even imagine how bittersweet this is for you. Although it's a lovely way to remember Tim, I'm sure it brings pain with it. But how nice that your niece thought so highly of him that she wants her own son to be honored with his name. :grouphug: :grouphug:

My niece just had her second baby boy today. She named him Owen Timothy for my son. I am thrilled that she did. At the same time it just hurts so much that anyone is naming their baby "after my son". I don't know why I am posting here. I guess because she doesn't come here and I just don't want her to think for a minute that I am not beyond happy they chose this. I am so honored they did. I just am having a really hard time knowing I won't ever have grandkids from my son. Thanks for listening.

I totally get it, Kari. :grouphug: My baby girl's name is sacred to me. Sometimes I'll meet another young Lydia and a part of me enjoys hearing the name, while a part of me is thinking, "My Lydia will never be on the volleyball team..." and that part makes me so sad. :grouphug: I think it's perfectly right for you to come tell us. There are often no venues IRL where we can safely express those feelings.

Aw Kari, I already responded once, but I can't stop thinking about you.

Here are some more hugs.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

I just wanted to echo that your feelings, though conflicted, are perfectly normal. Heck, I'd be surprised to hear you felt any other way.

And your comment was so sweet - she named this child solely out of love - what a gracious acknowledgement. I pray that this child will be special to you in a way that will bring you much joy.